South Gloucestershire Council

South Gloucestershire Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom35 reviews
12 year career
I have had very positive experiences working for this local authority as a parent of a school child from 2007 onward. The flexible working hours I was offered helped our family to thrive financially and with little stress on childcare. I will always be very thankful for that.

The move of offices to a different location and the austerity measures forcing this employer to minimise staff forced me to consider resigning and to chose to work elsewhere. The loss in personnel and services lead me to feel that I could not provide satisfactory service to the public. I do not regret leaving the authority in its present condition.
Productive and good workplace
Good Company to work for very bust on a daily basis to ensure all work is carried out efficiently and correctly especially during COVID 19 working as part of a team of two.
I worked in badminton road kitchen
Badminton road kitchen is the worst place I’ve ever worked the manager is a bully she will make you feel low and rubbish about yourself, head chefs are clicky not very qualified and everything comes out of a jar.
Nothing you do will ever be good enough for them.

Pay is above average but for the rubbish you have to take it’s definitely not enough moneys you can’t even talk without being told off
good workplace
Its a busy place to work and management tend to leave you to your own devices as long as you prove yourself. It can be difficult controlling the level of calls received but the team work very well together
Pros
flexi time
Cons
short staffed
Difficult place to work
Managers expectations were unrealistic in respect of a 10 day time scale for gathering information and collating the information into a comprehensive report to be presented to court re SGO.

The moral of the majority of other social workers was really low and depressing.

Working from home was bonus but a working day (at that time) to reach the expected deadline meant working from 7am to 6 - 6pm each day.
Good company to work for. But they should of supporting us more.
I have worked for this company for over 10 years but sadly they closed down and I was made redundant. I just wish the managers had fight harder to keep our jobs.
Pros
No free lunch but we get fair lunch hours
Cons
You get what hours you in for and there id opportunity of over time if you need it.
busy work load but not unpleasant
enjoyed working here and majority of staff were friendly. Great food and staff in canteen. Office was airy and bright with sufficient lighting and space.
would enjoy a busy environment
I was the recovery manager responsible for collection of overdue Council Tax & Business Rates.
I would represent the Council at Magistrates Court to apply for warrants to allow for orders to be attached to wages or benefits, or for bailiffs to attend. Ultimately for a committal to prison for up to 3 years.

I had a team of 9 staff including 2 senior officers.
work experience
working at Thornbury Council was a great fun time, although was a work experience so only for a short time. I learned to much, on the computer, filing and using the telephone.
Pros
fun and friendly
Cons
short time there
Flexible working helped with family life
Positive. I have appreciated working flexibly for South Glos while bringing up a family. I have benefitted from redeployments when teams were relocating / due to review reductions. I have enjoyed generous annual leave.

Negative. Relocating when my local office was closed. The austerity-led reviews necessitating reducing team numbers / job losses / affecting moral / service provision.
Pros
Flexible working (within reason)
Cons
Office closures / austerity-led reviews
Innovative company
The council was going through change and were willing to take this plunge. Was excited to be part of this change. Each day was a challenge, particularly in relation to dealing with equipment orders for the disabled children and young people.
However, the success of completing a deal was far reaching.
Pros
start work at your prescribed time
Cons
cannot think of any.
Good pay, pension & holiday entitlement
A good organisation to work for but constantly under review so not as secure as it used to be. Lots of opportunity to move around departments within the council & good training opportunities.
Pros
Local & decent pay
Cons
Not very flexible with work life balance any more
Busy and productive enviroment
Working for South Gloucestershire council requires hard work, self motivation and the ability to keep a clear head. It is a friendly working environment.
Pros
Locality
good place to work
duties vary weekly or can have set routes depending on role.
leaf fall, litter picking, asbestos removal, fly tip clearing, lorry driving drainage etc
Third line support
Application support Engineer, working as part of a team supporting a varied suite of main stream and hybrid applications covering all aspects of the Councils functions
amazing work place. everyone working there are fun and friendly
was a a great place to work. A good 50/50 site office work. Day to Day activities included working along side members of the public and surveying on site.
A Great Introduction To Working Life
I was still fairly new to working life when I started at South Gloucestershire Council, but I found myself adapting very quickly, taking experience I had gained from previous work to settle into a comfortable role for myself, where I developed my skills in administration and customer service.

I felt really welcome at South Gloucestershire Council and I give it a sincere recommendation.
Pros
Flexi Time was a great incentive to work longer, colleagues were generally friendly and helpful
Work place
Good people to work with but as always department get underfunded and make the job and service you are employed to do can suffer .. which then has a knock on effect on everyone involed i was working at a school contracting initially and was taken on with the promise of peing put on career development none of which happened plus the IT equipment for the school was getting old this need funding properly also this made the job harder and harder term by term even the tool to fix this equipment wasnt funded and so the service level drop and the kids sufffered and staff in fact ... then there is the blame game never the managers fault for not managing and totally aware of the issues ... and not enough listening comments are ignored and money going to the wrong places ... if things improve id reconsider working there again but i think the children are better behaved
Pros
finishing at 3pm
Cons
Never deliver on employment contract once you are in
Business Support Assisstant
Various administrative tasks.
Work as part of a team/independently.

Flexible working hours

Challenging clients

Reimbursing petty cash vouchers to clients and professionals
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Traffic
hard working company
The job is fast paced. Friendly kitchen staff.
Good location. Enough working hours as a casual.

Job progression could be improved.

Management can be helpful.
good job
this was a fun but challenging job at times as getting payed seemed a issue, management was good most of the time, very good experience working for the council.
Pros
good job
Cons
being paid
Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Gloucestershire Council. Our community is ready to answer.
South Gloucestershire Council Reviews by Location