South Gloucestershire Council Employee Reviews

Good pay, pension & holiday entitlement
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol12 September 2018
A good organisation to work for but constantly under review so not as secure as it used to be. Lots of opportunity to move around departments within the council & good training opportunities.
Pros
Local & decent pay
Cons
Not very flexible with work life balance any more
Innovative company
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol24 November 2018
The council was going through change and were willing to take this plunge. Was excited to be part of this change. Each day was a challenge, particularly in relation to dealing with equipment orders for the disabled children and young people.
However, the success of completing a deal was far reaching.
Pros
start work at your prescribed time
Cons
cannot think of any.
Busy and productive enviroment
Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol19 August 2018
Working for South Gloucestershire council requires hard work, self motivation and the ability to keep a clear head. It is a friendly working environment.
Pros
Locality
Work place
ICT Technician (Former Employee) –  Bradley stoke Community School24 January 2018
Good people to work with but as always department get underfunded and make the job and service you are employed to do can suffer .. which then has a knock on effect on everyone involed i was working at a school contracting initially and was taken on with the promise of peing put on career development none of which happened plus the IT equipment for the school was getting old this need funding properly also this made the job harder and harder term by term even the tool to fix this equipment wasnt funded and so the service level drop and the kids sufffered and staff in fact ... then there is the blame game never the managers fault for not managing and totally aware of the issues ... and not enough listening comments are ignored and money going to the wrong places ... if things improve id reconsider working there again but i think the children are better behaved
Pros
finishing at 3pm
Cons
Never deliver on employment contract once you are in
good place to work
Cleaner Operative (Current Employee) –  Yate, Gloucestershire8 August 2018
duties vary weekly or can have set routes depending on role.
leaf fall, litter picking, asbestos removal, fly tip clearing, lorry driving drainage etc
A Great Introduction To Working Life
EET Tracking Assistant (Current Employee) –  Patchway12 March 2018
I was still fairly new to working life when I started at South Gloucestershire Council, but I found myself adapting very quickly, taking experience I had gained from previous work to settle into a comfortable role for myself, where I developed my skills in administration and customer service.

I felt really welcome at South Gloucestershire Council and I give it a sincere recommendation.
Pros
Flexi Time was a great incentive to work longer, colleagues were generally friendly and helpful
amazing work place. everyone working there are fun and friendly
Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol20 March 2018
was a a great place to work. A good 50/50 site office work. Day to Day activities included working along side members of the public and surveying on site.
Third line support
Application Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Yate21 March 2018
Application support Engineer, working as part of a team supporting a varied suite of main stream and hybrid applications covering all aspects of the Councils functions
Easy job for good pay
Cleaning Operative (Current Employee) –  Yate24 July 2013
Cleaning an area for 2 hours a night, 5 nights a week. It is an easy job with a good pay for what we do. However, the hours I work conflicts with my social hours which means I have been looking for a different job. One bad thing about working at this certain location is that the air conditioning is turned of at 5.00pm which is when we start working so it is like working in a sauna or greenhouse.
Co-workers are friendly with good banter.
Management - just been taken over, this management also is management for another area in this building which means their priorities lie with the other area which means that we usually get forgotten about.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Conflicts with social hours
Hard work but enjoyable.
Area Manager/kitchen unit manager (Former Employee) –  South Gloucestershire9 September 2016
Typical day started at six in the morning covering sickness and breakfast clubs. The rest of the day was either spend cooking in a school or travelling between schools checking on quality of food and service and sorting out any problems.
I have learned how to communicate with lots of different people and how to deal with difficult situations. I have learned how to manage my time and make better use of the time I have.
I also learned how to be more efficient when working in a team with my co-workers so everyone skills can be used.
The hardest part of my job was covering the sickness within the school kitchens but I also enjoyed being in the kitchens helping out as I got to know the staff that worked for us and also the staff in the school which made dealing with any problems easier.
Excellent employer
Trading Standards Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol23 June 2014
Forward thinking
Financially prudent
Advanced in terms of working from home-advanced technology.
A typical day may start with a plan of things to do but can change on a telephone call.
Management is fairly easy going but is dependant on everyone team working
Pros
fleible working, working from home
Cons
work longer than paid for, but then I enjoy the job, overtime not an option
Head cook
School cook (Former Employee) –  Deerswood school14 November 2017
Loved working in school kitchens. I worked with a team of ladies. Giving them jobs and responsibilities . Preparing and handling food, paperwork ordering good and surpluses. I loved this job . Only left as I wanted a change.
Pros
Shifts
Cons
Days
good job
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Bristol8 February 2017
this was a fun but challenging job at times as getting payed seemed a issue, management was good most of the time, very good experience working for the council.
Pros
good job
Cons
being paid
hard working company
Casual Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol2 July 2017
The job is fast paced. Friendly kitchen staff.
Good location. Enough working hours as a casual.
Job progression could be improved.
Management can be helpful.
Business Support Assisstant
Business Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol21 August 2017
Various administrative tasks.
Work as part of a team/independently.
Flexible working hours
Challenging clients
Reimbursing petty cash vouchers to clients and professionals
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Traffic
Inconsistant
Senior Education Welfare Officer (Former Employee) –  Yate, ENG26 July 2013
It is not easy for me to write a review because of the changes that took place over my time within South Gloucestershire. It is fair to say that for many years I enjoyed working for the Authority. I loved working in the schools assigned to me. I loved supporting families but I was easily able to adjust to the more legal avenues when required.
Towards the end of my time in the Authority things changed and I am not sure that I want to comment.
Productive and good to work for
assistant kitchen chef (Former Employee) –  Bristol, ENG2 May 2014
The days i worked were very productive, i learned lots of new things such as chopping skills, hygiene in the kitchen and food temperatures, these are only a few of the things i learned. The hardest part of the job was cooking everything to make sure its ready on time, but i was still able to do this. The most enjoyable part of this job was getting to know new people and learning new things.
Pros
Lunches, Food
Cons
Constant working
fun and relaxed workplace.
Cleaning Operative (Current Employee) –  Thornbury21 February 2013
my typical day at work would consist of cleaning the office space and cleaning all the facilities in the council office. this would include buffing, sweeping, hoovering, moping, wiping and other such tasks. I have been trained to use buffing machines and I have undergone 2 refresher training courses in Cleaning and are fully familiar with COSHH.
Pros
good hourly pay rate.
Cons
small amount of hours.
I gained alot of experience being a voluntary youth worker.
Volunteer youth worker - Thornbury Youth Centre (Former Employee) –  Thornbury, ENG4 January 2014
I did alot , but not as much as i wanted to do, the youth club sadly lost their funding and have been closed down.
Pros
A happy safe place for young people.
Cons
the club closing down.
productive and great culture
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  broad lane yate18 February 2014
was very hard work lots of lifting learned to work quickly clearing properties of rubbish before they were let worked on own most of time
Pros
worked with great friends
Cons
houses were sold to merlin

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Gloucestershire Council. Our community is ready to answer.

South Gloucestershire Council Reviews by Location