South Essex College Employee Reviews

Flexible Hours

Friendly

Welcoming

Student and Staff
A Friendly Team and ever changing policies.
Catering Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Essex26 November 2017
Working for SEC was enjoyable due to the friendly, hard-working team in the catering department. However, the department was often overlooked or treated as lower than other departments because of the nature of the work undertaken.

Each day differed, often being sent to different campuses in order to cover staff sickness. Constant changes in management often led to ever-changing policies and working structure.
Pros
Access to educational development
Cons
Little to no recognition
Good and exciting workplace
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Grays21 November 2017
My typical day would have been to go out into the college and help staff with IT problems. I learnt what goes on behind the scenes of college life with the computers and how to set each one up. The management was thoughtful and listened to my views as well as others.

The culture of the workplace was clean and tidy as well as being big enough to exercise within the grounds. The hardest part of the job was giving time for the system to respond. the enjoyable part was spending time with colleges that had the same job as me.
Pros
got to walk off campus to get lunch
Cons
you would come across the occasional floor that would not work effiecntly
fun and welcoming place to study
Maternity support worker (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex24 October 2017
its a great place to study with helpful staff and you can wear what you like and they understand that you have family life as well you meet all different kind of people
friendly collegues
Back of House Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grays1 October 2017
When i worked at south essex college, i enjoyed working there and had alot fun.

Great pay rate as they treat all workers as equals no matter what job it is you do there.
Pros
right next to the train station or bus depot.
Cons
changed to no free lunch
Depressing workplace, constant rule changes
Associate Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Thurrock, Basildon and Southend30 September 2017
A typical day at work involves you simply doing your timetabled sessions; which is entirely acceptable. If you have any time between 8:30am - 5:00pm free though, you will often be EXPECTED to provide cover for sessions that lack a tutor. This would also normally be acceptable, but with the sheer amount of paperwork expected from each and every tutor on a weekly basis and the frequency at which tutors do not turn up for their sessions, it leads to members of staff having to work their evenings and weekends to keep up.

I have learned from SEC that finding smart but accurate shortcuts to keep on top of your duties is key to doing your job here. If they can't be found, expect to work in your free time.

Management has often been cited as "out of touch", asking provision of paperwork beyond what is necessary even by OFSTED standards. This mentality and lack of support from upper management often makes others feel weary of what is said to them at all times.

In terms of the culture in the workplace, there is an odd mix of camaraderie and one-upmanship. Management will support there colleagues until there is a problem, where blame will very quickly be shifted onto other members of staff.

The most difficult part of the job is to abide by all the shifting rules and the paperwork that comes with these shifts. For all 3 years at the college, many rules and structures have shifted leading to additional paperwork and less free time. Last year, I rarely saw my wife and children.

The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching the students. They can often be funny, intelligent
  more... and also the opposite of these two things. In any case, the challenge of teaching students and watching them mature and change throughout their time at the college is inspiring. Unfortunately, this cannot be associated to the college itself. Students like these will be found in any college; students may spend far less time complaining about other tutors and management and enjoy their sessions more often if they attended a different college.  less
Pros
Cons
Oppressive Management, Little recognition for efforts
Learner
Student (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, Essex21 September 2017
South Essex college wasn't the best. The tutors were rude and unhelpful. We didn't get assignments on time so we were running behind everyone else. And the safegaurding side of it was disgusting.
Varied and Diverse
Student Learning Coach (Current Employee) –  Thurrock, Essex10 August 2017
My role in the classroom is brilliant and offers variety, however management and CPD require improvements. Daily routine offers varied challenges which provide excellent opportunity to improve personal skill base. It is great to work alongside departments with friendly employees passionate about supporting their students.
Pros
Provides employability opportunity
Cons
CPD lacks structure
work experience
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Southend-On-Sea13 July 2017
my first work experience allowed me to be able to know how important to have a job and it was good to be able to work with staffs who have better experience and they allowed me to improve everyday
Pros
busy eveyday
Cons
Great people but being crippled by cuts.
member of staff (Current Employee) –  Southend17 March 2017
The college is a large FE and HE College based across 3 towns. Having had several years of cuts from central government, the cracks are starting to show. Some of the older staff are apathetic and this dulls the shine on new staff in some areas unfortunately.

The people make the College and there is a great bunch here. Over the years a real caring community has been built up.

A typical work day is always hard but fulfilling as well, despite being drowned in government red tape that takes people away from the job itself and making them jump through hoops.
Pros
People
Cons
Public funding is disappearing
Lack of management support for teachers
Business/Law Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Southend1 March 2017
The college has great physical and technological resources that a teacher will enjoy using for teaching and learning thereby benefiting the students enormously.
Pros
Great IT support
Cons
Lack of management support
Student Learner Coach (Current Employee) –  Basildon9 August 2016
A typical day can be stressful but also rewarding, great teamwork, co-workers are all fun but firm tutors and very supportive. Best part of my job is getting the students through their course and achieving their qualification.
I've learnt a lot and still learning whilst working. Pay scale could be better for support staff but I still enjoy my job and look forward to going to work every day.
Pros
Very supportive team
Cons
Holidays to long
this shouldnt applie to me
Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  Southend3 April 2016
I wrote i worked for south Essex college as "work experience" not as Employment as what I did (stage managing) was as a chosen extension of the course I am on here, Thus this should not be applicable to me. I am only writing this as it is required for me to continue.
Productive and is very good place to work in
Exam Invigilator (Current Employee) –  Thurrock17 February 2016
Work with a friendly team of hard workers and pursue for best in the work place. Myself and the team I work with want the best and encourage the best.
Busy FE/HE College
Senior Exams Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southend-On-Sea8 February 2016
Very busy exams team with 3 campuses and approximately 6,000 student studying in all areas from A levels to Bricklaying, Hair Salon Services and Childcare.
It was the best place I have ever work.
Lectuer (Current Employee) –  Grays, ENG30 October 2015
The culture, the whole environment, my managers, colleagues and the administration staff gelled with my personality. Everyone is friendly and supportive.

Everybody there endeavours to make life as easy as possible. I have never, so far, met a single officious person.

As far as job security is concerned, I am an HP lecturer. Hence it does not apply to me.
Pros
Well resourced
Cons
Far from my home
Great team sorry to have had to leave
Associate Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Southend, ENG8 October 2015
Very supportive team, fun place to work, great facilities as a teacher/lecturer couldn't ask for more. Fantastic students very switched on and looking to progress into their adult work/career based environments of choice.
Pros
The team around me
Cons
Having to hand in my notice due to relocation
no promotion at work
Bricklaying Technician (Current Employee) –  Grays27 September 2015
I need more challenges.
The work is not technical enough for me.
I want gain different experiences and new challenges.
little pay
Young, vibrant and exciting learning environment.
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Southend, ENG28 August 2015
A very busy working environment at this well known FE college. A typical day flies by and is a non-stop whirlwind of activity, so it's not the place for anyone who needs an easy pace.

The students and teachers are a pleasure to work with and make the difficulties brought on by over-used, out of date, broken or tired resources worth the effort. The best bit about working here is the joy of a successful student achieving a personal goal.
Pros
Close to trains and public transport links
Cons
Few breaks and no private space away from the working environment and students.
Productive & fun workplace
Student (Former Employee) –  Essex9 July 2015
A typical day at South Essex would include taking part in a number of different hair and beauty consultations.
On a daily basis I would learn different techniques and skills in Media Make Up, Hair, tanning, body art and nails, working on both fellow co-workers and members of the public.
My co-workers and I always got on well and I enjoyed my work place environment.
The hardest part of my job was the two and a half hour journey travelling time to and from the college due to the lack of good transport links.
The most enjoyable part of my job was client consultations and carrying out treatments.
Pros
Good experience gained
Cons
Travelling time