South Essex College Employee Reviews

Time To Leave
General Dogsbody (Current Employee) –  College Wide12 June 2018
When I first joined the college it was a breath of fresh air, with the staff very much at the forefront of everything. Now the culture is one of blame, intimidation and a lack of support. There is no progression, particularly in the support roles, and very little (if any) CPD.

Constant reviews and re-organisations, together with a very high staff turnover, make it an unpleasant place to work.
Room for improvement
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Thurrock, Essex23 May 2018
Excellent staff but the wrong candidates in management. Not enough support for certain departments. Often seen as preferential treatment by competing incumbents.
Pros
Good working companions
Cons
Too far
Health and social student
Student (Former Employee) –  England, Southend27 March 2018
Being a student at South Essex college can be frustrating however the teachers are willing to help you, I was very ill and they still get giving me the chance to try and pass and progress.
Pros
High grades, support, experience
Cons
Communication, lack of work and tasks, results
Great atmosphere and working staff
Progress Coach (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex19 March 2018
An 8:30am start and a 5pm finish, with several classes, ensures a long and productive day. The knowledge that the staff members have is unparalleled and really does give the students the best chance at achieving great results. The workplace culture is very positive and inclusive, and makes the students feel welcome and want to learn. One of the hardest parts of my job was liaising with all members of staff on the same day - due to everyone having a very busy timetable - but we all managed to make the time to catch up with the progress of the students. I thoroughly enjoyed working within my team, and the most enjoyable part was the student success and seeing how much the students grew individually and collectively.
Hard work but can be very rewarding
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Essex28 January 2018
You need to be able to do long hours to even try and keep up with all your responsibilities. But I have learnt a lot about myself and how strong and determined I am. Working with teenagers is a challenge but very rewarding when you see them develop and grow in confidence. It is a very pressurised environment and management is not very secure or encouraging. The hardest part of the job is keeping with all the demands. The most enjoyable part is having the good relationship with your learners and staff members.
Pros
Seeing your students develop in their knowledge and skills
Cons
Long hours outside contracted hours and have to work at home as well.
Terrible
Apprentice Chef (Former Employee) –  Grays, Essex16 January 2018
The managers were never the same for long and as I only joined the college at 17, and I was being bullied by said managers, I ended up leaving the job with complete dissatisfaction.
Pros
Made good friends, got free lunch at one point.
Cons
Managers were bullies.
Work Experine

Flexible Hours

Friendly

Welcoming

Student and Staff
A Friendly Team and ever changing policies.
Catering Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Essex26 November 2017
Working for SEC was enjoyable due to the friendly, hard-working team in the catering department. However, the department was often overlooked or treated as lower than other departments because of the nature of the work undertaken.

Each day differed, often being sent to different campuses in order to cover staff sickness. Constant changes in management often led to ever-changing policies and working structure.
Pros
Access to educational development
Cons
Little to no recognition
Good and exciting workplace
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Grays21 November 2017
My typical day would have been to go out into the college and help staff with IT problems. I learnt what goes on behind the scenes of college life with the computers and how to set each one up. The management was thoughtful and listened to my views as well as others.

The culture of the workplace was clean and tidy as well as being big enough to exercise within the grounds. The hardest part of the job was giving time for the system to respond. the enjoyable part was spending time with colleges that had the same job as me.
Pros
got to walk off campus to get lunch
Cons
you would come across the occasional floor that would not work effiecntly
fun and welcoming place to study
Maternity support worker (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex24 October 2017
its a great place to study with helpful staff and you can wear what you like and they understand that you have family life as well you meet all different kind of people
friendly collegues
Back of House Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grays1 October 2017
When i worked at south essex college, i enjoyed working there and had alot fun.

Great pay rate as they treat all workers as equals no matter what job it is you do there.
Pros
right next to the train station or bus depot.
Cons
changed to no free lunch
Depressing workplace, constant rule changes
Associate Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Thurrock, Basildon and Southend30 September 2017
A typical day at work involves you simply doing your timetabled sessions; which is entirely acceptable. If you have any time between 8:30am - 5:00pm free though, you will often be EXPECTED to provide cover for sessions that lack a tutor. This would also normally be acceptable, but with the sheer amount of paperwork expected from each and every tutor on a weekly basis and the frequency at which tutors do not turn up for their sessions, it leads to members of staff having to work their evenings and weekends to keep up.

I have learned from SEC that finding smart but accurate shortcuts to keep on top of your duties is key to doing your job here. If they can't be found, expect to work in your free time.

Management has often been cited as "out of touch", asking provision of paperwork beyond what is necessary even by OFSTED standards. This mentality and lack of support from upper management often makes others feel weary of what is said to them at all times.

In terms of the culture in the workplace, there is an odd mix of camaraderie and one-upmanship. Management will support there colleagues until there is a problem, where blame will very quickly be shifted onto other members of staff.

The most difficult part of the job is to abide by all the shifting rules and the paperwork that comes with these shifts. For all 3 years at the college, many rules and structures have shifted leading to additional paperwork and less free time. Last year, I rarely saw my wife and children.

The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching the students. They can often be funny, intelligent
  more... and also the opposite of these two things. In any case, the challenge of teaching students and watching them mature and change throughout their time at the college is inspiring. Unfortunately, this cannot be associated to the college itself. Students like these will be found in any college; students may spend far less time complaining about other tutors and management and enjoy their sessions more often if they attended a different college.  less
Pros
Cons
Oppressive Management, Little recognition for efforts
Learner
Student (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, Essex21 September 2017
South Essex college wasn't the best. The tutors were rude and unhelpful. We didn't get assignments on time so we were running behind everyone else. And the safegaurding side of it was disgusting.
Varied and Diverse
Student Learning Coach (Current Employee) –  Thurrock, Essex10 August 2017
My role in the classroom is brilliant and offers variety, however management and CPD require improvements. Daily routine offers varied challenges which provide excellent opportunity to improve personal skill base. It is great to work alongside departments with friendly employees passionate about supporting their students.
Pros
Provides employability opportunity
Cons
CPD lacks structure
work experience
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Southend-On-Sea13 July 2017
my first work experience allowed me to be able to know how important to have a job and it was good to be able to work with staffs who have better experience and they allowed me to improve everyday
Pros
busy eveyday
Cons
Great people but being crippled by cuts.
member of staff (Current Employee) –  Southend17 March 2017
The college is a large FE and HE College based across 3 towns. Having had several years of cuts from central government, the cracks are starting to show. Some of the older staff are apathetic and this dulls the shine on new staff in some areas unfortunately.

The people make the College and there is a great bunch here. Over the years a real caring community has been built up.

A typical work day is always hard but fulfilling as well, despite being drowned in government red tape that takes people away from the job itself and making them jump through hoops.
Pros
People
Cons
Public funding is disappearing
Lack of management support for teachers
Business/Law Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Southend1 March 2017
The college has great physical and technological resources that a teacher will enjoy using for teaching and learning thereby benefiting the students enormously.
Pros
Great IT support
Cons
Lack of management support
Student Learner Coach (Current Employee) –  Basildon9 August 2016
A typical day can be stressful but also rewarding, great teamwork, co-workers are all fun but firm tutors and very supportive. Best part of my job is getting the students through their course and achieving their qualification.
I've learnt a lot and still learning whilst working. Pay scale could be better for support staff but I still enjoy my job and look forward to going to work every day.
Pros
Very supportive team
Cons
Holidays to long
this shouldnt applie to me
Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  Southend3 April 2016
I wrote i worked for south Essex college as "work experience" not as Employment as what I did (stage managing) was as a chosen extension of the course I am on here, Thus this should not be applicable to me. I am only writing this as it is required for me to continue.
Productive and is very good place to work in
Exam Invigilator (Current Employee) –  Thurrock17 February 2016
Work with a friendly team of hard workers and pursue for best in the work place. Myself and the team I work with want the best and encourage the best.