South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews
Poor family friendly work life
Long day/night shifts, working pass your finish time. Poor support for staff who have occurred injuries while working.
No support for disability staff, still has a problem with workplace cultures.

Must be able to be flexible.
Challenging but rewarding
Secamb were the practice placement provider for most of my clinical hours during my degree. They provided strong and supportive guidance to make sure all graduates became competent clinicians
Terrible.
1) No work life balance - you are expected to take over time. Say goodbye to Christmas. And don't expect to fit in.
2) Be prepared for emergency situations you weren't trained to deal with.

3) Every second of your shift is monitored - you can't take a toilet break without someone wondering why you are not on the phone.

4) Abuse from the public.

5) By "career progression" they mean taking on more responsibilities with no extra pay or benefits.
Poorly organised
Poorly organised, target focused. Wellbeing services are excellent and some managers care about their staff. NHS discount and close to home start and finish locations (usually).
A great green family
Such a lovely place to work very supportive and help you to grow in your job
I will be sad to leave and I’m only leaving to relocate anyone starting at secamb will not be disappointed
Pros
Frequent breaks
Cons
No cons
Awful Management, Staff always leaving
Working as a 999 call handler may seem like a good job but let me assure you it is not, The management are awful, your team leaders have no idea what they are talking about, You are not allowed to take your time when talking to the patient, you are constantly being rushed and get penalised if you spend longer than 5 minutes on the phone to a patient. This job is stressful (as expected) but you only get a 30 minute break throughout a 12 hour shift. Be prepared to come home crying, stressed and extremely unhappy. Be aware you are also penalised for being sick, the ambulance service do not care about their staff.
They are extremely short staffed and you will work a stupid amount of hours, staff are always leaving as they are treated so poor.
Pros
Going home.
Cons
Long hours, Short staffed, Poor management
Very productive but very stressful
Looking for a change in direction of career.

A very good challenging job, I feel after 18 years I would like a change in my job role.

I like a challenge and I am looking forward to starting a new pathway in my career.
Pros
Very satisfying job
Cons
The 111 Call centre is a horrid place to work.
The training hours are completely ridiculous.
You get treated like absolute rubbish by the so called mentors, who are mostly silly, immature little girls, who are only in that position because they cannot retain any decent, experienced, hard working people for more than a few months.

It’s very clicky. Don’t expect to be spoken to if you’re not in the club and even the centre manager will walk past you without even giving you the time of day.

You won’t make any friends. You go in, get hammered on the phone all day (being constantly hassled and monitored) and go home. Very lonely job.

If you are a normal, respectable, grown up human being, you will not like this job.
Pros
NHS discounts
Cons
How long have you got?
underfunded
bullying culture , well documented in press
terms and conditions gradually eroded. work life balance difficult.

very enjoyable dealing with patients and driving around differnt parts of the county
Not what I signed up for..
Long hours, ridiculously understaffed, enormously stressful. Having worked in this role for a long time the past few years have been very sad for me. I have seen the workload and stress on staff increase massively, unfortunately I can't see things improving anytime soon..
Pros
The patients sometimes
Cons
Long shifts, one half hour break in 12 hours, massive delays, abuse of all kinds
Disappointing
I moved to the Trust from another public sector organisation expecting a pretty similar deal but I was wrong. There is no corporate/clerical staff training available and work life balance is not promoted.
Decisions made by the Exec team are slow and often not clear with 'goal posts' regularly moving.

I hope that this Trust improves with time, especially as it moves out of special measures, although for the time being there is lots of room to grow.
Pros
27 days annual leave
Cons
People which have been in the NHS for too long which have a lack of drive for improvement.
Every day was different
Every day offered up new challenges, the environment was always changing and therefore offered up interesting tasks and opportunities. The management changed in recent years and it became difficult to get the necessary support to get things done.
Poor Management and a lot of duplications
I found the culture to be very poor in comparison to other places where I have been previously. Staff members regularly undermined and there was always a fall guy for institutional errors.

The service suffered as a result.
Generally enjoyable
Good support from managers at an EOC level, and colleagues all understanding and everyone works well together. Never know what's going to happen next, and lots of different roles to branch out to within the service. Somethings are poorly managed but overall ok.
Enjoyable and meeting people
You receive your daily work the previous evening and work through the appointments hopefully making the journeys as relaxed as possible. Occasionally the patients illnesses were a bit difficult to deal with.
Awful employer with high turnover of staff
Awful company with so many bad managers
Under investigation for fraud and culture of bullying

Staff are not valued and treated as numbers only

Morale extremely low
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Long hours, breaks missed, very poor HR
Eye-opening, and informative place to work
Supportive management and great camaraderie within the workplace. I learnt a lot about how the NHS service works in respect of the ambulance and NHS 111 service, and feel I have a greater understanding now because of my time spent there.
A hardworking Dept
My typical day starts at 8am in the office answering telelphone queries as it is a training centre there are always student issues from the previous day,

I have learnt a lot in 11 years.

My co workers are excellent and l am part of a large group of long term employers.

The hardest part of my job is letting it go on a weekend - l love my job

The most enjoyable part are the students and how they achieve
Pros
Good offices
Cons
Moving offices soon