SOS Homecare Employee Reviews

Horrible!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside15 October 2019
Worst company I have ever worked for! Office staff are gossipy and cliquey, they don’t think twice about sending you out when you’re physically ill...purely as they don’t want to cover the call themselves! Don’t get a rota till like after 5 on a Friday how does that give you work life balance!
Manager is a joke, she never gets back to any of the staff. The office staff are rude on the phone to you, huff and puff when you can’t pick up a call!!
St. Helens branch - worst
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside13 October 2019
Worst company to do care for. Office staff never help you out when your I’ll they won’t cover your calls they tell you to go out and do them even though your not well.Calls are never local or within walking distance even though it says they’ll keep you to regular clients
Pay is rubbish you get paid £4.30ish per each 30 min call you do and more often than not there messing your pay up.
If I could give this company 0 stars I would!
The St. Helens staff in the office are the worst bunch of people I’ve met! there so rude and ignorant, and they’ll take you down from 40 hours one week to 20 the next they never give regular hours.
Awful!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside30 October 2018
This is by far the worst job I’ve ever had!i recently quit, they don’t care about the staff. Only about shifts being done, they don’t care if you constantly work weekends and also at Christmas if you haven’t got children it’s like your pressured into working Christmas. They don’t care about the hours your given, they can give you 30 one week and 2 hours the next (literally), they expect you to stop a shift at a certain time and be somewhere else straight after. (Example- finish 8:30 start next job at 8:30 but is 20 minute walk). Would not recommend this job to anyone.
Also staff who you work with are not very nice
Pros
SOMETIMES local
Cons
Poor management, poor communication
Great
Office staff (Current Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside26 April 2018
I have worked at SOS for approximately 18months now and it is honestly the best company I have worked for. The office staff and higher management are very friendly and very professional. The carers do an amazing job. The job is very rewarding and the team always pull together to get the job done. I couldn’t recommend working here enough. There is always room for progression within the company providing you are dedicated to the role.
Pros
Friendly, amazing team
Lovely team
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester28 November 2017
Extremely rewarding, great business management, flexible around my life but involves α huge amount of punctuality as the clients are completely reliant on you.

Great training sessions. Over all if you care for the elderly people it's a great job to have, shifts are mornings or evenings I did a combination of both and worked every other weekend, this worked really well and allowed me to spend more time with my family.

I did have permanent shifts however these were sometimes changed with little notice although this could not always be helped due to staff sickness.

overall a good company to work for, I saw many improvements made during my time at SOS, my manager was very approachable and always made time to speak to me.

travel
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Travel time
Worst job
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester24 November 2017
Awful management, do not care about staff only care that the work gets done. They nag you constantly when they need you then when you need them they're impossible to get hold of. Loved the clients, nice staff to work alongside but terrible company over all. You could be working 12 hours and only get paid for 6 as they pay you per client not per hour. Driver mileage is a joke.
Pros
Friendly staff to work alongside
Cons
Poor pay, poor communication, poor management
best care company
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stretford, Greater Manchester2 November 2017
I loved my time at SOS i would go back in heartbeat although the job is demanding it is made that much easier by the fact the management and coordinators listen to there staff. You have set runs and set days so everyone knows where they are at . I have worked for other companies since working a SOS and i can say from experience you do not get this everywhere. if there is a problem or you are struggling SOS will try there best to help you and work with you so you can still do your job . The staff are friendly and approachable and are willing to help .Learnt a lot working for SOS it also where i discovered my passion for job would highly recommend to anyone.
Lovely team
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester30 October 2017

travel
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Travel time
Carer (Current Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester30 October 2017
I’ve worked for the organisation for almost a year and have really enjoyed my time here so far. The work is challenging and plentiful, but I feel that this is well-balanced by a really supportive and friendly Management team. Having come from a very different workplace, I really appreciate the passion that everyone shows for improving the lives of the people we support and for guiding, supporting and developing their staff.

A typical day at work would be supporting people to get out of bed, showering if required, helping prepare breakfast administer medication and the part I really enjoy sitting with the customer and getting to know their likes, dislikes and talking about their life history.

The Management team are very dedicated and have a lot of experience and work really hard to build good relationships with their staff. It’s not always easy, but I see the daily effort everyone is making and I’m really starting to see the direction the company is trying to take.
Pros
Meeting new people, employee benefit scheme, flexible hours
Cons
Driving in traffic, low staff levels.
Awful job
Carer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester26 October 2017
Offered position as bank staff and is genuinely the worst job I’ve ever undertook.
Hours are relatively flexible if you’re bank staff however expect your email and texts to be constantly going off with messages from the company.
They don’t send you the rota of the shifts you pick until the day you’re supposed to be working, sometimes as late as 1 hour before your shift begins giving you no time to arrange with the carer you’re partnered with where/when to meet.
Payment is awful, you can work a shift from 3-10 and be only paid 5 hours work as they pay you by the allocated time that you’re in someone’s house and not for driving around/spending extra time. Drove 109 miles in one week and only worked around 20 hours.
You’re constantly rushing around trying to get from place to place with often only 5 mins between each house which is rubbish if you’re being sent to a new area each time.
You’re often paired with a non driver therefore you’re driving them around to their allocations and not being paid for it.
You get 50p extra per hour for being a driver and apparently that is enough to cover your petrol, otherwise you have to claim it back through tax relief.
Training is 4 days and unpaid and uniform payment is deducted from your first pay check. You’re first 2 shifts are ‘shadow’ shifts where you are also unpaid.
You have to hand in your notice 4 weeks in advance and if you quit within the first 6 months then they charge you £100 to pay for the cost of your ‘training’.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else
Excellent Care Company
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stretford, Greater Manchester6 June 2017
I have worked for several care companies previously and i have found SOS to be the best.
The work is demanding and the pay could always be better but it is a career that is rewarding, satisfying and really enjoyable.
SOS are supportive and understanding when you need some help.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
None really
Poor pay for alot of responsibility
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside12 February 2017
Training and shadow shifts are not paid for, so please be aware of this prospect when applying. You may work over 30 hours before you are paid a penny, and then you may not be paid correctly.

The management in this area are worked very hard, and due to the level of sickness/ absence/ employees just not turning up for shifts puts everyone under considerable pressure. Many problems that are important under CQC regulations get lip service, and this can be very frustrating. Carers employed are underprepared for what the job involves, due to the transparency of the information that is initially given to potential carers in regards to the service users needs.

If you are applying for management level, then best of luck! Wave goodbye to your life as you know it. You could be called in at last minute and feel obliged to cover shifts. Care assistants trend carefully as you have to give a lot before not getting much back in return!
Pros
Good people doing a difficult role
Cons
Training not paid, poor pay versus the marktplace
Trafford Branch
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Trafford2 November 2016
I was new into care when I joined SOS, but I felt I was treated very well by the trainer and by Natalie in the office. Yes the work was hard work and long shifts but I got a lot of satisfaction from caring for the clients, seeing their faces when I arrived for a call, knowing that I had made their day. It was great! The pay wasn't great but I heard from other carers that others companies paid the same, I was often asked to pick up shifts but this was helpful to me as I was never short of money. I had a bill to pay or a holiday to pay for I could do some more shifts. The zero hour contract gave me the power to work when I wanted to. From my experience you don't go into care for the money, you do it because you care - I care so I enjoyed my time at SOS. I have left to fulfil a career as a nurse but I am always happy to pick up the odd shift to help my friends out from time to time.
Pros
Caring for the elderly, making friends enabled me to get into nursing
Cons
Long hours, working weekends
Supportive company
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urmston2 November 2016
I have worked for SOS Homecare since 2012 and thoroughly enjoy working for them.
The industry can be challenging but I receive loads of support and help from my managers, and the company will always take the time to listen to new ideas
Pros
Supportive, friendly, rewarding
Friendly Company
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Altrincham27 October 2016
great development opportunities
Friendly office staff
I didnt have experience when I started but there was great support in place for when I started. You do shadow shifts, training and then you always have someone at the end of the phone to ask any questions to.
Pros
Flexible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOS Homecare. Our community is ready to answer.