Sopwell House

Sopwell House Employee Reviews

United Kingdom20 reviews
Extremely high staff rotation rate, on all levels. This constantly prevents to create a balanced, well trained and dedicated team, capable to fulfill a high standards and duties in regular daily basis.
Pros
Staff accomodation if required.
Cons
Long hours, "Always changing" management and employees.
Not a nice place to work full stop. Management and owners are so rude to the staff looking down on people all the time like they are gods. If you’re looking for a job where you will go home everyday feeling depressed and worthless apply!
DO NOT APPLY TO WORK HERE
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

The amount of staff they go through is unbelievable....

Check out for yourselves the most recent jobs posted
Pros
Hometime
Cons
Run by bullys
2 October 2019
How disappointing, to read this review. We have procedures in place which are widely communicated for any employee to raise any concerns, which have not been used in this case unfortunately. We are increasing our staffing levels in response to our magnificent new Cottonmill Spa with a £14 million investment which will be seen on indeed.
Great first job to have but i used to work weekends and sometimes would work for 24 hours over it.
Hourly pay is good on top of service charge which is given.
19 September 2019
Thank you for posting your comment, and we appreciate your hard work. As each hour is paid, I hope the extra hours worked helped with some extra treats in addition to our good hourly pay you have mentioned.
Excelente lugar desde para empleados que buscan aprender y desarrollarse en el ámbito laboral hasta profesionales que buscan nuevas metas, un paso más allá.
There were lots of opportunities to learn a great deal, great teams, high standards, good career progression advancements, lots of varied staff social events
19 September 2019
Thank you for your very positive feedback.

We do pride ourselves on offering good career progression opportunities along with an excellent range of Training & Development programs at all levels. Our team is great & we do enjoy ourselves at many fun social events - all paid for by the company.
Great place to work with amazing colleagues and management team.
The customers were important to the success of the business and to deliver fantastic food quality and service at all times.
19 September 2019
Another very positive comment - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences. We are very proud of our food quality and service. We hope you continue to be part of our Sopwell family for many years to come.
This place will destroy you physically and mentally, you will be traumatised by the mistreatment, abuse, injustice and humiliation by rotten management and from being pushed to your physical and mental limit. Management is the worst I've seen, good-for-nothing, lazy, dumb, unintelligent bullies, they do nothing but gossiping, eating and drinking hiding in their office while they give instructions to bar staff not to give even a glass of water to employees in the heat, flaunting around and bullying exhausted and stressed employees who are badly mistreated. Employee turnover is huge, most of them leave very fast after realising what a toxic place this is. Intelligent, capable and talented people won't stay here, they know they can find better than this. The reputation of the place is so bad that they can't find employees any more, so now they have to bring in agency staff. HR is shameful, they are not there to serve and protect all employees, they only follow instructions from stupid and malicious managers, if they want to get rid of you because you dare to stand up for yourself. Toxic place that will suck the will to live out of you if don't leave before you are used and abused badly.
Pros
You get a free meal, but it's dog food quality
Cons
everything above and more
10 July 2019
It is always so disappointing and unfair don’t you think, when an employee needs to be spoken to, to ensure rules and expectations are followed and as they did not wish to comply with our reasonable expectations their response is vitriolic, defamatory, untrue and publicly made. These sentiments were not shared directly by this person who is known to us.
We would always encourage employees to speak to us directly if they are unhappy in any way, so we can resolve the issue appropriately.

Our staff dining is of good quality and is freshly made every day with a choice of soup, various salads, breads & pastries, 3 hot main courses with fresh vegetables, rice and potato dishes, fresh fruits, deserts and yogurts – all FREE OF CHARGE.

What’s to complain about?
A typical day at work -12-16 rooms per day(if you do 12 money will be cut off)
-ARROGANT behavior of the executive housekeeper

-rota change CONSTANTLY (1,2 times per day like a game for them),otherwise they do it for a week ,but that does not make sense.

-permanent threats that you should end up the work of time otherwise you will not be paid.From which many girls are forced to do in the system check out ,but they are still in the hotel and working hard.

-underestimation of trainings(especially the turn-down service).They watch to shorten the time spent with the team members.We just sign up and that's enough for them.
26 June 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback however I think you must be mistaken regarding the points raised.
Staff are paid correctly and in accordance with the hours worked. Training is provided for all our turndown team where colleagues are paired up to work for the 4 hours training session.

I am disappointed to read you did not enjoy your experience with us and only wish that you had spoken to us so we could have dealt with the matters you have alleged.
Worked for them for 6 years. The management is arrogant and they think their product is better than any of the others... It is not. It is a nice looking hotel with rotten practices, built on the unethical money from mistreated employees and overcharged clients.

Last warning for anyone having an event here: Do not have an account bar. They will overcharge you to cover their consumption.
Pros
The knowledge you can take away to a proper workplace
Cons
All the above
24 June 2019
How disappointing and concerning it is to read your review. Our practices for handling money is controlled in a wide variety of ways and in accordance with expected business requirements. I cannot recall any issues being raised of this nature either internally or by any guests / clients. You state you worked at the hotel for 6 years in a management position. It is indeed most remiss that you did not take steps to report such alleged practices at the time. I would urge you to please make contact with myself in order that your allegations can be investigated.

I took this company to court and won, as they treat their spa staff like robots, they were forced to change their contract by the court as they were unclear and therapists do not receive the amount of commission that was stated in their original contracts.
Freedom of information abled me to see emails between management who were bad mouthing myself and my mother for taking legal action.

They did ask for a gagging order in court but this was refused by the judge.
24 June 2019
I have been employed as Group HR Director for over 2 years and there has been no such case within this period. I believe this case may refer to a matter dating back to 2016. Our new Cottonmill Spa with a £14million investment is to open in August and we have a large team of engaged & positive colleagues in this team. I’m sorry that your experience was not as we would have wanted nor would be experienced today.
I have been working at Sopwell House for just over 2 months now and I can happily say I would recommend this hotel as a place to work to anyone. I work in happy and kind team and learn something new everyday.

Every member of staff has been friendly and made be feel welcome. The staff events held at Sopwell are amazing!

The meals served in the staff restaurant is Delicious!
Pros
People, Benefits, Free meals
Cons
After working at sopwell for a year, the only positive I can take away is that staff members are lovely and some have become life long friends.
In general the hours are long, ( great if you don't want a life!) , the pay doesn't not reflect the amount of work you are expected to do. And there is a very high turnover of staff due to the extremely bad management. There is no appreciation at all! Such a shame as this has the potential to be such a great environment to work in, however it is let down with the lack of management and attitude.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, high turn over, low pay
working in Sopwell house is fun at times when you meet famous people and the guests but the hours are long and you do not really get much free time.
all that said overall if you enjoy this field its a great place for experience.
Pros
free lunch, meet famous people
Cons
long hours, extreme pressure and stress
If you are interested in working in leisure and hospitality sopwell house is a good place to work. There is a variety of roles to choose from and potential for progression.