Sonder

Sonder Employee Reviews

United Kingdom4 reviews
The nature of this job is varied.

You have to think with your feet as well as with your head. Numerous buildings are spread across London that you need to take care of; that is: doing maintenance, reporting, checking guests in/out, offering guidance, among others. You're technically like a fake landlord (in a good way of course), meaning that good decision-making and initiative skills are essential. You're in control, in charge and responsible. With this in mind, anything can happen. If an issue arises, you will need to organise yourself to prioritise tasks accordingly and be prepared to meet contractors if needed. Timekeeping is key for that.

Management is overall very supportive in comparison to previous jobs. Especially one of the team leads. To be honest, if it was't for her, I wouldn't have probably enjoyed this job as much. Management also guide and facilitate you through your tasks and new staff practices are being placed.

However.

Working outdoors in all weather conditions, often carrying light/heavy stuff, can get you sick or have an accident. When this happened to me, I would ask for unpaid time off but they kept on putting excuses. Frequently, I had to debate over my wellness, sometimes for hours until they finally accepted my request. On occasions, I wouldn't even tell them just to avoid this situation. I once ended up buying an ankle support for my left foot as normal walking was a pain.

Despite this, I would still very much recommend this job to anyone really; it's not hard as long as you're determined. You will learn all the aspects eventually.
 - more...
Sonder was by far the best office experience I had. The atmosphere is relaxed, but very stimulating and team spirit is definitely there if you're an extrovert. Great training provided
Sonder is an absolutely disgusting company.
It's not hospitality, its exploitation.

You do mainly maintenance jobs e.g fixing things for guests and replacing items.

You are never in one place, you are expected to run around all over London, between zones 1 and 2, completing what they call "tasks". These tasks could be going from bayswater to hoxton, to take a set of forks to a guest, then going to kentish to look at a broken t.v., then to Vauxhall to show someone how to use a microwave.

They DO NOT provide training, they just show you how to use apps that they run the company through and then your thrown out by yourself to run around london completing tasks. Shifts finish at 10pm but if you are the only person on a late shift and a guest needs something 10min before you finish, you are expected to go to the guest to help them. So you will finish after 10pm.

There is no health and safety training, so you can sometimes be dealing with something electrical, or gas related issues and you have no idea what your doing, your are expected to follow basic instructions from the apps. They say its full-time but you are put on a zero hour contact and when your paid, you are never taxed but you will have to pay your taxes the way people do that are freelance e.g very long.

There is no care for your safety, you are by yourself all the time and they consider a panic alarm to be your security, there are no procedures put in place for different emergencies what so ever. You also have to download about 5 or 6 apps on your own phone because the business/job is ran completely through
 - more...
Pros
Working alone but it can get lonely
Cons
There are too many to list.
Not a very professionally ran place boss constantly posts bad and negative feedback to staff. Morale is pretty meh, no one really wishes to work there.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sonder?