Somerset Passenger Solutions

Somerset Passenger Solutions Employee Reviews

United Kingdom16 reviews
Spent over 2 years here, the management change on a regular basis as they just promote drivers into managers and expect them to know what to do, basically people who have the knowledge to run the show are driving the buses, the idiots are in the office not knowing their backsides from their elbow. Not their fault it's just filling spaces from higher management.
This is a very rapidly growing and fast paced company to work for, which is excellent for someone like me that prefers to be challenged and on my toes for the majority of my working time.
Due to this, there are PLENTY of development opportunities for employees in all roles, and I've seen many internal promotions proving that.

In my short time being here, I have been really encouraged by the management team to self develop which is not an opportunity I had in my previous job.

The managing director truly cares about his employees, and is an advocate of the 'open door' policy. That approachable culture is definitely becoming embedded throughout all departments.

I appreciate there have been historic frustrations, but it seems as if this company has really turned a corner, evolving on to greater things.
Pros
Development opportunities, approachable management, advocate of change.
If your on your own, prepared to work long hours then this job is for you, very early starts, long days, hardly any family life, not good for your health
Nothing special. This place is great if you don’t want to use your brain. There is a lot of time just sat around though but at least there used to be a spin bus.
Senior management unapproachable.
J24 ops manager 'belittles' workers in front of work colleagues & has no sense of direction. Shifts change overnight without much notice long days 14hrs+ up to 8 days on the trot.
I was a internal driver working on site at Hinkley Power Station C,
I drove from coaches to buses, you do a full days working that could lead up to 18 hours a day including traveling to and from home.
As a skilled professional with many experiences of the workplaces in the uk I found this company over promises and under delivers on its service offering and undervalues its staff. There is a high turnover of staff due to long unsocial shifts and rostas which have a devastating effect on work life balance and health, there is a disregard for people’s personal circumstances and mindfulness.
As in the title driver's are friendly, but be were lot's of snakes. Management need to be trained in how to manage so they can at least do there job's correctly also they need to do open college course in customer service as they don't know how to treat there driver's. Hour's well one day you get up at 02:00hrs the next you'll be getting up 04:30hrs then the next you could be getting up at 09:00hrs then the next you'll be getting up 04:hrs. It's not not good for family life.
Management of this company may not have heard yet of the benefits of humane, civil and respectul treatment of employees. Turnover of staff specially the drivers is unbelievable and the management does not care because they know they've got a bottomless supply of money and resources from the taxpayers through EDF, the main contractor of the Hinkley Point C project, that they are continuously training new driver applicants.
If the management will only treat employees fairly, respectfully and humanely, drivers will not have to work like slaves and feel like ordinary criminals when accidents and misfortunes happen in the course of doing their jobs.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Somerset Passenger Solutions?
During interview, they fill you with false hopes. In reality the management and supervisors are just a bunch of low down Bullies who will make your life miserable. I left after the training as I saw enough already!!
Pros
Not going back
Cons
The list is toooo long!
A truly awful place to work. At the interview they tell you 39 'core hours'. This is not true. Long shifts of 14 hours a day standard. Getting up at 3am & getting home by 8pm day after day, sometimes 7 or 8 days in a row. No work/ life balance. Constantly being contacted by phone on 'rest days'. Bullying management & demoralized drivers. Really high staff turnover (of drivers). If you have no life outside of work, this might be the job for you. Only stuck it out so long because of the training bond which I had to pay back anyway. Don't leave a half decent job to go here.
Pros
New coaches
Cons
Really long hours
Worked here for 3 months, training team are liars and will invent stories to get you disciplined, controllers are rude and ignorant, management are very rarely seen and will treat you like dirt, hours are atrocious, there are much better companies in this area than this shower, avoid like the plague unless you are truly desperate
Pros
Cons
Read review
Management unstable, no consistency, one rule for one, suspension for another, bullies and gameplayers. Like to wear people down so you give in and become a lap dog. Wages ALWAYS wrong then have a lengthy battle to get pay corrected. If you have an opinion or don t agree to the many contract changes then you're made to 're apply for your job then don t get it. Rude and arrogant. AVOID
Pros
It feels good telling them to stick it
Cons
Management comes from a crooked bus company
Management are rude bullies and will use any excuse to fire you , no praise given , always negative, forever changing hr managers and everyone will stab u in the back to save their own rear ends
Pros
Moneys good
Cons
3am starts with 7-8pm finishes get in go to bed and then back to work ! Lots of managers not enough Indians ! New busses to drive . Most employees are so tired they try to hide to sleep no prospects
Pros
Free coffe
Cons
No home life
false promises made during interview which were never held up and this was an integral part of leaving one company to move to this company and i was let down a lot.
Pros
got me my PCV
Cons
no organisation