Somerset County Council

Somerset County Council Pay & benefits reviews

My work for SCC is valuable in that I am supporting some incredibly important services and developments at a trying financial time for the organisation. The work can sometimes be demanding but its value, coupled with good benefits such as flexi and annual leave, help to negate this. The organisation is also forward-thinking in terms of ways of working, with good technology, working-from-home benefits, and an understanding management culture (by and large). However, there are two big caveats with working at SCC. The financial difficulties the organisation is facing mean that pay is low and pay rises are hard to come by and relatively small when they are given. Coupled with recruitment freezes and constant restructuring, opportunities for advancement are limited and job security for many is poor.
Pros
Valuable work, perks such as flexi leave, some great managers, good working culture
Cons
Low pay, low job security, little chance for advancement
2 April 2019
Thank you for your review and feedback about working at Somerset County Council. We’re really glad you found the role rewarding and made use of our flexible working arrangements and technology. We do have financial pressures at the moment; but we do continue to recruit to key posts. We have also just agreed a pay award for 2019-20, and for our 5 lowest grades we have agreed increases of up to 5.9% (and 2% for all other grades).
I have been at SCC for over 12 years, during that time I have worked with a variety of brilliant teams, each time developing new skills and experience. SCC comprises of a huge number of varied services - every service offers different job roles alongside individual cultures, bringing different challenges and opportunities.SCC has adapted really well to fully remote working during the pandemic, with staff wellbeing being top of the agenda. Technology use has enabled teams to stay connected to each other and carry out their roles with minimum disruption to frontline services.
Pros
Great teams, good pay and pension / staff benefits
Cons
As with every large organisation, experience can vary depending on the role and service you are in!
16 October 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. It’s fantastic you’ve been able to work with such a variety of teams and develop your skills and experience! And yes, the investment made by SCC in technology and software has really paid off, when lockdown occurred we were in a position to mobilise staff quickly into working from home, aided by brilliant support from our ICT teams. Thanks for taking time to write your review.
Great place to work, good benefits, progression and nice staff. Management issues, staff are anxious and stressed, while managers dont know how to communicate and support staff.
Benefits
Cons
Staff can be treated poorly. Parking is almost non existant.
29 September 2020
Thank you for writing your review, we’re pleased you enjoyed the benefits, working with your team and the progression opportunities available. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can thrive and work in an open and constructive way. We recognise that we need to continue to work collectively to improve and develop this. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can review our internal processes. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.
It is a busy ever changing place to work, the willingness to be flexible is important. Staff are mainly friendly, approachable and willing to help. The management team are supportive.
Pros
Good rates of pay and benefits
Cons
Frequent changes
5 March 2019
Thank you for your review and positive feedback about working at Somerset County Council. We’re really glad you found environment friendly and supportive. We do have ongoing change to continually look at how we best serve our community.
Old fashioned management who like to throw their weight around and stick rigidly to rules - ignoring the people side of managing a team. Very low salary and a feeling of under appreciation for hard work
17 December 2018
Thank you for writing your review, we’re sorry to hear you feel under appreciated. We strive to have an open, forward-thinking culture, but recognise we have to continue to work to actively improve and develop this. If you would like to send more detailed feedback and suggestions to recruitment@somerset.gov.uk we can work with our HR colleagues to take these forward.
The job I was in I enjoyed, due to financial difficulties I have lost my job through no fault of my own. A lot of people are in the same position as me and it was not communicated well to any of us. People who have been here 30+ years are in the same boat and the council is very top heavy, protecting the higher paid staff and cutting the lower paid ones. I think it is definitely something that needs to be resolved.
Pros
good benefits, flexi time very useful, good colleagues
Cons
Not much progression, waste of money in areas
17 December 2018
Thank you for writing your review, we are glad you benefitted from the flexible working arrangements and great benefits we offer.We’re really sorry to hear you feel you were not properly communicated to. It would be really appreciated if you could provide some more detail on this so we can take forward any improvements, please feel free to email us at recruitment@somerset.gov.uk. Somerset does have big financial pressures at the moment and has some difficult decisions to make; but we do continue to recruit to key posts.
i have worked in the care industry for many years and all the positions i have held have been very rewarding empowering customers to grow into independant individuals and growing my own experience and knowledge. the hours are long and not much chance of a break and eating on the job.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
long hours and not being able to take a break
Always opportunities to train and learn in a fast paced environment. Salary is reasonable. Job security. Management is thorough and fair. Very flexible hours for part-time working parents.
When the organisation was run by somerset county council it was a good workplace. Since it has been taken over by Dimensions uk it has become a very poor workplace
Pros
Cons
Poor salary
Good workplace with good people around you but could do with some pay increases but overall a fun place to work with some great benefits. It's a rewarding job helping your local community.
Pros
Good workplace
Cons
Long days
Good Salary/ flexi time/ staff benefits and annual leave. The best organisation to work for for life/ work balance. Constantly reducing staff so no job feels secure, and lost so much experience. Restructure one on top of the other, and no control over where you work. I had no current job description for over 10 years, so impossible to ask for a job evaluation. I was continually working above my pay grade. No real direction. My colleagues were good people, hard working and created a friendly atmosphere. Smart office or hot desking is the norm so very few have an allocated desk. Lots of people work from home regularly so all this gives a rather disjointed and isolated feeling. Still a good company to work for in a lot of ways, but I had just stayed too long.
Pros
flexi time/ staff benefits/ friendly atmosphere
Cons
job insecurity and inexperienced management
they are good at making sure all training is up to date and a good salary. they were very good to staff until they sold the company to dimension and sold us out.
SCC was an amazing company to work for but then on 1st April we were taken over by Dimensions, a private company, who are now stripping our terms and conditions and cutting our hourly rate regardless of loyalty to the service. One bonus is we get to keep our amazing pension!
Pros
Terms and conditions, pension.
Cons
Privatisation
this once was a great company to work for, until we have all been sold out to dimensions, who are now offering dedicated staff rubbish pay with no benefits. the individuals whom i support will suffer
SCC was a company worth working for once, however now we have been taken over by another provider for the LD services, that any benefits or confidence in the company has been removed. This new social enterprise is a great uncertainty, and do not seem at all interested in the support of our most vulnerable in society.
Pros
Used to be SCC
Cons
Recent take over, uncertainty
I work in a school setting, outside the main county council site therefore I have no experience of working in county hall or within the general county councils daily workplace setting.
Pros
Long holidays
Cons
Low rates of pay
Enjoyed working with the service users. The staff team are diverse and hard working. Learnt a lot working for this company, but the main flaw is BAD MANAGEMENT. Very poor leadership, clique culture within the higher ups and very bad treatment of staff team.
Pros
Salary, flexible hours
Cons
Poor management team
They do have a bit of flexability with your daily work hours, very friendly. Access to management was very good Good IT equipment
Pros
In town centre
Cons
Parking costs
A typical day at work would involve working within a positive team culture, assessing & planning the days events, allocating role responsibility for those events & to whom each staff member is to support a service user. In doing this ensuring each service user has a say in their day planning & who they would like to support them. Ongoing observations & monitoring of the day to ensure smooth running & positive outcomes for the service user. Each day should be a time to reflect on what is a positive outcome & what should/could have been done to achieve higher quality service. Continual support & advice from line management as well as the co-workers as a team are essential to accomplish consistency throughtout the unit. The hardest part of the job is ensuring that I myself work as a team player & within the team, thus trying to ensure that a smooth working relationship is achieved consistency with each & every member of staff that I work with. As a result of this I strive to create a professional, positive & calm atmosphere around me. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see positive outcomes to planned pieces of work & see a happy service user & to be able to relay positive outcomes to their family members.
Pros
Flexible hours. Instant job satisfaction.
Cons
Poor salary
Enjoyable job. Not the best to work for if you want a payrise! You get a good pension but not always recognised for your hard work. very rewarding job in a school.
Pros
holidays and pension
Cons
pay freeze
I am an extremely experienced Highways Manager and working here has certainly put me to the test.
Pros
good company to work for.