Somerset County Council

Somerset County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom92 reviews
Nature of the work always stressful but supportive collaborative staff.
The work was high volume, struggling to find answers with limited resources however the staff worked collaboratively to find answers and would go the extra mile to support you.
Poor
Great place to work, good benefits, progression and nice staff. Management issues, staff are anxious and stressed, while managers dont know how to communicate and support staff.
Benefits
Cons
Staff can be treated poorly. Parking is almost non existant.
Awful place to work
I worked there as a temp and you are treated so differently to the perm staff.
Awful people and environment , they make sure they look after their own. Don’t like whistle blowing , when you go to your manager you expect some support but nothing. Horrible nasty women work there . Can’t deal with nothing very poorly ran and even no pens to write with as they had no money for orders and this is a county loling after kids in I care .
A lovely place to work but need a change
Have loved working as a teaching assistant but time for a change. There have been lots of changes and job cuts, funding cuts etc and the amount that a teaching assistant gets paid and what is expected of them is getting too much.
Supply teaching through SCC is much better than through an agency
Very helpful staff always ready to give you information and point you in the right direction. They keep your details and provide schools with them if they ask. The only problem I have had is that not very many schools think to use the service and funnily enough, pay more to use an agency which cannot really offer anything more that would be worth the extra cost.
interesting place to work
interesting place to work but would not reccommend it easily due to high volume of work and potential stress levels. Good work place for hard workers.
Lovely place to work
A great place to work with lots of room to progress, I learnt a lot in my time there and enjoyed the responbility: lots of training provided and your always kept up to date with additional training.
16 December 2019
Thank you for your positive review and I am glad you made the most of the excellent training on offer.
Disorganised and wasteful organisation
Inherent hierarchical inflexible management structure, non collaborative and wasteful of public resources. if the management were running a private business it would be insolvent and bankrupt within six months.too many Chiefs and not enough Indians looking after their own interests.
16 December 2019
Thank you for your review. We're a large and complex organisation with a huge variety of services and we agree we aren’t perfect, however we have seen big improvement and change over the last year.

This includes winning a national award for our Public Health Team, a national award for our HR team, and a regional award for our contact centre. Most recently we have been listed in IMPOWER’s report as one of the top 10 most improved councils, up 32 places.

We have now turned the corner financially and although we’ve had difficulties and got much more to do, we’re getting colleagues across the organisation and Somerset working together, making it a really exciting time to join us.
Stay away if you develope health issues
Driven to severe anxiety by job, which was made worse by mis-informed management unable to deal with mental health or pre menopause issues. No occupational health reviews just told to return to work. Not a good place
16 December 2019
Thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear you felt unsupported. We are working hard to ensure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a constructive working environment. We do recognise that we need to continue to work to develop this. It would be helpful to have some further details from you so that we can take this forward with our HR colleagues. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.

As an organisation in the last year we have started a number of initiatives to support women going through the menopause. This includes a Menopause Café and a women’s health support group, we’ve also set up a section on our intranet with links to information and resources. It covers workplace issues and gives guidance for both staff and managers. We also now have an HR guide for managers.

In terms of support for Mental Health we have trained Mental Health First Aiders across the organisation to support colleagues and also run a number of sessions around mental health awareness but are always looking at ways to develop and improve this.
Poor staff welfare
I became disabled whilst working for this company
They offered little support and did not have resolutions for my needs

Rather than support they actively sought to ensure my continued employment was impossible
16 December 2019
I’m sorry to hear you felt unsupported while you were working with us. It would be helpful to have some further details from you so that we can take this forward with our HR colleagues. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.
Target led
Children's Social Care was once a rewarding place to work but due to the constant budget cuts and changes the support for the staff was lost by Senior Management

I loved being part of something that tried to achieve better outcomes for young people

The immediate team were hard working and a pleasure to work with, our team support was second to none
16 December 2019
Thank you for your review and feedback. Firstly, I am pleased you enjoyed working in your team, found the work rewarding and had excellent support from your colleagues.

I’m sorry to hear you felt that Senior Management failed to provide a supportive environment. We have now turned the corner financially and although we’ve had difficulties and got more to do, we’re getting colleagues across the organisation and Somerset working together, making it a really exciting time to join us.
Library Assistant with my roles
My experience gained during my twenty three years employment within Somerset

Library Service covers the whole range of responsibilities for this position

Having demonstrating my excellent communication skills and handling of cash management

I found my post helping the public very rewarding.
Pros
Free loans of CD'S
Cons
Car parking limited
16 December 2019
Thank you for the positive feedback and we are glad you found your role at the Library rewarding.
Not a clue what GDPR is
Lots of bullying, manager's are part off it and have their clicks. I would not recommend this council to anyone. Flaky GDRP, as they have call centre staff working at home. Not sure how they think this is confidential.
24 September 2019
Hi there, we just wanted to clarify if your review was for Somerset County Council? As housing usually falls under district councils. You can get in touch with us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk so we can check and follow up.
Once a great work place but over-spending has damaged SCC
It is no secret that SCC has hugely overspent in recent years (mainly in the Social Care areas). The morale is low and jobs are not 100% secure. The workforce is depleted and the work level has therefore increased.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Job Insecurity
24 September 2019
Thank you for writing your review, although as you mention we do have financial pressures we have now turned a corner financially and are continuing to recruit to key posts across the council.
I’m glad you found the flexibility useful while you worked with us and wish you all the best for the future.
Managers bully, harrass and persecute staff and get away with it
This was the most scarring experience I have had in over 25 years in Children's Social Care. There was one particular manager who bullied, harrassed and persecuted staff and has been getting away with it for years. People were sacked for no reason and HR did nothing about it. Look after yourself - do not take a job there.
5 August 2019
Thank you for writing your review, we’re sorry to hear you felt that the organisation failed to provide a supportive environment. Children’s Services have come a long way since receiving an Inadequate rating from Ofsted in 2015. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can thrive and work in an open and constructive way. We recognise that we need to continue to work collectively to improve and develop this. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can review our internal processes. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.
Good place to work.
Good place to work, great support from managers who know how to treat staff.
Working in SEN can be difficult at times, but i worked in a good supportive team with an excellent manager.
Pros
Supportive managers
Cons
Amount of paperwork involved.
12 July 2019
Thank you for your review and positive feedback about working at Somerset County Council. We’re really glad you found your team supportive and valued your Manager.
They want their pound of flesh from you. Needed to work overtime to keep up with the work load but will not pay for you this and toil given reluctantl
Worked as team member for 13 yesrs and gave it my all. Pressure always on for you to achieve however its not realistic. Staff need to do all their own paperwork on line, no lobger give a
P. A which affects the clients as less tine available due to the above
Pros
Up to dste training
Cons
Long hours to acieve your goal
Aceitável
Sendo uma Autoridade de Poder Local, a imagem política e social da Entidade sofre de acordo com as filosofias, objectivos e métodos dos indivíduos que assumem cargos de confiança política e praticam a política que os caracteriza
Valued work with good perks, but with low pay and few chances of advancement
My work for SCC is valuable in that I am supporting some incredibly important services and developments at a trying financial time for the organisation. The work can sometimes be demanding but its value, coupled with good benefits such as flexi and annual leave, help to negate this. The organisation is also forward-thinking in terms of ways of working, with good technology, working-from-home benefits, and an understanding management culture (by and large).

However, there are two big caveats with working at SCC. The financial difficulties the organisation is facing mean that pay is low and pay rises are hard to come by and relatively small when they are given. Coupled with recruitment freezes and constant restructuring, opportunities for advancement are limited and job security for many is poor.
Pros
Valuable work, perks such as flexi leave, some great managers, good working culture
Cons
Low pay, low job security, little chance for advancement
2 April 2019
Thank you for your review and feedback about working at Somerset County Council. We’re really glad you found the role rewarding and made use of our flexible working arrangements and technology.

We do have financial pressures at the moment; but we do continue to recruit to key posts. We have also just agreed a pay award for 2019-20, and for our 5 lowest grades we have agreed increases of up to 5.9% (and 2% for all other grades).
Children's Social Care
Again, i have reviewed this employment in my CV. My Colleagues were great to work with. Please refer to my CV if you wish read about my work at County Hall.
A good place to work
It is a busy ever changing place to work, the willingness to be flexible is important.
Staff are mainly friendly, approachable and willing to help.

The management team are supportive.
Pros
Good rates of pay and benefits
Cons
Frequent changes
5 March 2019

We’re really glad you found environment friendly and supportive. We do have ongoing change to continually look at how we best serve our community.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Somerset County Council. Our community is ready to answer.