Somerset County Council Employee Reviews

Children's Social Care
Team Administrator (Former Employee) –  Taunton22 March 2019
Again, i have reviewed this employment in my CV. My Colleagues were great to work with. Please refer to my CV if you wish read about my work at County Hall.
A good place to work
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Taunton28 February 2019
It is a busy ever changing place to work, the willingness to be flexible is important.
Staff are mainly friendly, approachable and willing to help.
The management team are supportive.
Pros
Good rates of pay and benefits
Cons
Frequent changes
5 March 2019

Thank you for your review and positive feedback about working at Somerset County Council.

We’re really glad you found environment friendly and supportive. We do have ongoing change to continually look at how we best serve our community.

Professional and hard working environment.
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Somerset14 February 2019
A good place to work if you want to work part time. You have access to ongoing learning if you have the time to do it. Management varied but on the whole was good. Everyone worked very hard and wanted to show that they were good value for money.

The hardest part of the job was funding.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you were doing something worthwhile and helping professionals.
Pros
Working for a large organisation with flexibility.
19 February 2019

Thanks for your review and positive feedback.

We’re really glad you found the role rewarding, we agree that a key part in working here, in any role, is knowing that you play a part in improving our communities’ lives.

It’s great you made use of our flexible working arrangements and training opportunities. You’re right that we do have financial pressures at the moment, but we do continue to recruit to key posts to support the lives of the most vulnerable in our community.

Jobsworth
Officer (Current Employee) –  Taunton30 November 2018
Old fashioned management who like to throw their weight around and stick rigidly to rules - ignoring the people side of managing a team.
Very low salary and a feeling of under appreciation for hard work
17 December 2018

Thank you for writing your review, we’re sorry to hear you feel under appreciated. We strive to have an open, forward-thinking culture, but recognise we have to continue to work to actively improve and develop this. If you would like to send more detailed feedback and suggestions to recruitment@somerset.gov.uk we can work with our HR colleagues to take these forward.

Stay away
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Planning & Transport6 November 2018
The council are in a right mess avoid this I have just worked in that department and it’s very clicky in the management side of that department they don’t treat people with disabilities in a good manner was given this job then they took it away due to my disabilities which is bang out of order only good thing is they do flexi time.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Management & HR not good
17 December 2018

Thank you for writing your review, if you could provide some more detail on this we would really appreciate it, you can get in touch with us at recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.

An ok stepping stone with some perks
Contract Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset16 October 2018
The job I was in I enjoyed, due to financial difficulties I have lost my job through no fault of my own. A lot of people are in the same position as me and it was not communicated well to any of us. People who have been here 30+ years are in the same boat and the council is very top heavy, protecting the higher paid staff and cutting the lower paid ones. I think it is definitely something that needs to be resolved.
Pros
good benefits, flexi time very useful, good colleagues
Cons
Not much progression, waste of money in areas
17 December 2018

Thank you for writing your review, we are glad you benefitted from the flexible working arrangements and great benefits we offer.

We’re really sorry to hear you feel you were not properly communicated to. It would be really appreciated if you could provide some more detail on this so we can take forward any improvements, please feel free to email us at recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.

Somerset does have big financial pressures at the moment and has some difficult decisions to make; but we do continue to recruit to key posts.

No staff support
Social worker (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset16 September 2018
Was run by locums who had no commitment or understanding of rural settings. Worked hard for no recognition. Absolutely no staff care
I was treated appalling and was made a scapegoat for management mistakes. If you are rubbish at your job expect to go far but if you are committed to caring for clients rather than playing political games you will not prosper within this organisation.
If you value your sanity do not work for Somerset council.
Pros
Cons
Long hours no support poor management
17 December 2018

Thank you for writing your review, we’re sorry to hear you feel you were not valued.
We are currently working hard to reduce our use of locums and strive to have an open, forward-thinking culture, but recognise we have to continue to work to actively improve and develop this.
If you would be kind enough to share any suggestions and provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.

Security but poor work/life balance
Class Teacher (Former Employee) –  Taunton13 September 2018
Don't know how typical my job was compared to other non-teaching jobs for SCC - but if typical then avoid due to poor work/life balance and ridiculous amounts of stress.
Interesting work in public sector, covering many areas.
Senior Designer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset31 August 2018
Design support role for Corporate property department, including workplace design, Libraries and Schools. I presented to new stakeholders, creative designs for the development of Libraries as community hubs, integrating their desires and needs.
Thankless & Toxic
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Somerset19 August 2018
Backward, unprogressive work environment where many staff members are unwilling to change practices and protocols for the better.
Very little recognition for good work.
Most people are overworked and underpaid.
Not a friendly work environment for young females as there are too many bitter middle ages women in middle management.
Job security is non-existent.
Most people get stuck in their jobs as they're not paid enough to risk losing their job but are paid just enough to live on.
Pros
The buildings are restricted access and there is a staff car park
Cons
Unhealthy environment and culture
A very rewarding job
Support worker full time (Former Employee) –  yeovil5 August 2018
i have worked in the care industry for many years and all the positions i have held have been very rewarding empowering customers to grow into independant individuals and growing my own experience and knowledge. the hours are long and not much chance of a break and eating on the job.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
long hours and not being able to take a break
N/a
Data Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset5 July 2018
Always opportunities to train and learn in a fast paced environment. Salary is reasonable. Job security. Management is thorough and fair. Very flexible hours for part-time working parents.
Brilliant untill they sold to private
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Somerset28 April 2018
Good company, Good pay and good training. But no real areas to progress or work towards Diplomas etc.
Was a company with high standards untill they sold to Discovery/Dimensions.
Pros
Good training, Good pay
Cons
No real breaks
An efficient hard working team
Adult Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Taunton area7 April 2018
There have been many changes in adult social care. We have coped well with these changes and my team has 'pioneered' many of these new ways of working. Having weathered these changes I am now ready to embark on a new challenge and love the thought of working on the Isle of man.
Pros
Flexible trusting work culture
Cons
Skeleton management
very challenging
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Yeovil12 March 2018
Somerset County Council are constantly reviewing practice and changing, from an employees perspective this can be a challenge.
The constant training and re-training was frustrating because I just wanted to do my job.
Pros
Paid training
Cons
The non flexible hours
You must give all your heart warm
Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset7 March 2018
Its really nice and enjoyable job.Supporting people having Learning Disability at every step and everywhere..from personal care,preparing food and eating,interacting with them at the rest time,talking,joking..going for walk,shopping or to various events..trying to help them to be independent as much as possible.
Awful staff and management
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Somerset17 January 2018
Terrible place to work, staff are unhelpful and unfriendly. No team work. Terribly managed. There is high staff turnover and no motivation. You are worked hard with no thanks for it.
Pros
Hometime
Cons
Staff, management, staff turnover, no teamwork, bullying
Great Company but changed due to cuts
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Somerset17 December 2017
I really enjoyed working for this company until taken over by a company. Staff cuts causing changes to terms and conditions making it un affordable to work.
low pay
LSA (Current Employee) –  Highbridge28 November 2017
expect a lot from staff, with no supervision. unable to contact anyone for days no contact with management even with emails etc, basically you are just an employee number and you tick the boxes for them to say somebody "is there". Management forget all the extras that you do but no give and take. High volume of front line staff very stressed and put upon but higher management all seem to be on long term sickness! Contracts being changed and hours reduced so you are unable to deliver the service properly.
Pros
The children are lovely
Cons
no support.
Fun
Driver (Former Employee) –  Frome, Somerset7 November 2017
I enjoyed the work. The particular role I was in was non contract role so moved on when something else came up. Managers were caring towards their staff.
Pros
Good work environment.
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Somerset County Council. Our community is ready to answer.