Somerset County Council Employee Reviews

Brilliant untill they sold to private
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Somerset28 April 2018
Good company, Good pay and good training. But no real areas to progress or work towards Diplomas etc.
Was a company with high standards untill they sold to Discovery/Dimensions.
Pros
Good training, Good pay
Cons
No real breaks
An efficient hard working team
Adult Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Taunton area7 April 2018
There have been many changes in adult social care. We have coped well with these changes and my team has 'pioneered' many of these new ways of working. Having weathered these changes I am now ready to embark on a new challenge and love the thought of working on the Isle of man.
Pros
Flexible trusting work culture
Cons
Skeleton management
very challenging
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Yeovil12 March 2018
Somerset County Council are constantly reviewing practice and changing, from an employees perspective this can be a challenge.
The constant training and re-training was frustrating because I just wanted to do my job.
Pros
Paid training
Cons
The non flexible hours
You must give all your heart warm
Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset7 March 2018
Its really nice and enjoyable job.Supporting people having Learning Disability at every step and everywhere..from personal care,preparing food and eating,interacting with them at the rest time,talking,joking..going for walk,shopping or to various events..trying to help them to be independent as much as possible.
Awful staff and management
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Somerset17 January 2018
Terrible place to work, staff are unhelpful and unfriendly. No team work. Terribly managed. There is high staff turnover and no motivation. You are worked hard with no thanks for it.
Pros
Hometime
Cons
Staff, management, staff turnover, no teamwork, bullying
Great Company but changed due to cuts
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Somerset17 December 2017
I really enjoyed working for this company until taken over by a company. Staff cuts causing changes to terms and conditions making it un affordable to work.
low pay
LSA (Current Employee) –  Highbridge28 November 2017
expect a lot from staff, with no supervision. unable to contact anyone for days no contact with management even with emails etc, basically you are just an employee number and you tick the boxes for them to say somebody "is there". Management forget all the extras that you do but no give and take. High volume of front line staff very stressed and put upon but higher management all seem to be on long term sickness! Contracts being changed and hours reduced so you are unable to deliver the service properly.
Pros
The children are lovely
Cons
no support.
Fun
Driver (Former Employee) –  Frome, Somerset7 November 2017
I enjoyed the work. The particular role I was in was non contract role so moved on when something else came up. Managers were caring towards their staff.
Pros
Good work environment.
Cons
Pay
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Taunton23 October 2017
Somerset County Council is a great place to work. The hours are fair and there is flexibility. Managers are good and encouraging.
It is subject to budget cuts which means most roles are only funded until the end of each financial year. There is also little stationery so people often provide their own.
Smart office isn’t for everyone but I enjoyed it.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Few permanent roles
normal work day
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Taunton9 October 2017
school starts at 9 i started at half 7

more hours are needed but very enjoyable

management were brilliant

making sure kids were seat belted properly

taking them from a to b and back again
Pros
gd job
Cons
need more hors
Fun workplace
Cook (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset8 October 2017
Good workplace with good people around you but could do with some pay increases but overall a fun place to work with some great benefits. It's a rewarding job helping your local community.
Pros
Good workplace
Cons
Long days
Varies depending on department
Client Lead Officer (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset27 September 2017
Good Salary/ flexi time/ staff benefits and annual leave. The best organisation to work for for life/ work balance.
Constantly reducing staff so no job feels secure, and lost so much experience.
Restructure one on top of the other, and no control over where you work. I had no current job description for over 10 years, so impossible to ask for a job evaluation. I was continually working above my pay grade.
No real direction.
My colleagues were good people, hard working and created a friendly atmosphere.
Smart office or hot desking is the norm so very few have an allocated desk. Lots of people work from home regularly so all this gives a rather disjointed and isolated feeling.
Still a good company to work for in a lot of ways, but I had just stayed too long.
Pros
flexi time/ staff benefits/ friendly atmosphere
Cons
job insecurity and inexperienced management
Large organisation not always person centred
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Somerset26 September 2017
Large organisation with many demanding goals and aspirations that at times lacked clarity and derection. Customers not always put first and staff views not always taken into account. Management in my particular area was good but lost further up the organisation.Financial constraints meant that the services could not always be delivered in accordance with peoples wishes, aspirations and need.
Pros
pension
Cons
lack of claer vision
somerset
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset9 August 2017
they are good at making sure all training is up to date and a good salary. they were very good to staff until they sold the company to dimension and sold us out.
Currently going through significant changes
Business Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Shepton Mallet, Somerset7 August 2017
Somerset County Council is currently undertaking some dramatic changes to it's workforce. This has greatly impacted upon the morale of staff.
Although I am thankful for my time working at SCC, some parts have been very rewarding.
Pros
n/a
Cons
No consistency or loyalty
Hard working
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset2 August 2017
Fast paced hardworking company with great attention to detail. Look after there staff well with a fantastic pension scheme. I throughly enjoy working with them
Caring
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Frome, Somerset21 June 2017
I have learned to support people with complex physical, communication and medical needs within a person centred approach along side a supportive team.
Not as good latterly as it was
Senior Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset15 June 2017
Having worked for the authority for 31 years, I can say that the working experience is largely down to the immediate manager. As a large organisation, those at the top can feel very remote from the business transacted at a day to day level.
My experience working for the authority was positive until the end of my career there. There was opportunity to be involved in interesting work and the opportunity to progress. The employer was accommodating to personal circumstances.
However, the public sector cuts are biting very hard in the authority and there are so many jobs being cut that morale is very low indeed. New office accommodation is in a smart office, although not all the County Council offices fit this mould yet. While this is bright and airy at present, only time will tell if the environment deteriorates with time. For some, the loss of personal work space will be felt quite hard.
I believe you still can have a positive experience working for the authority but there are also areas which are less satisfactory.
Pros
Flexi-time, equalities attitudes, can be interesting and worthwhile work
Cons
Job security very much diminished, car parking mostly not provided and is expensive in the immediate area.
Outstanding collleagues
various roles (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, England, UK11 June 2017
A simple job but with a lot of responsibility at the same time.

Colleagues were brilliant.

A good way of getting into working with learning disabilities.
Good Environment
Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chard, Somerset8 June 2017
There was a good work environment, management wasn't the best but i learnt a lot while i was there. Somerset County Council sold off the LD services as before i Left.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Somerset County Council. Our community is ready to answer.