SOMERSET CARE Employee Reviews

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey13 September 2018
I worked for the company for almost 2 years and I can honestly say that I have never been so miserable within my work place.
The management is shocking and show no compassion for their staff.
The hours are long and the gratitude is none existent!

Out the door at 6am and not returning home til 2230 with an hours break mid-day is not acceptable however it is compulsory!
Travel time is next to none and you are expected to drive back and forth from town to town.
You simply can not have a home life as far as they are concerned.
Constant phone calls, texts and emails even when abroad. If your day to work falls on Christmas Day you are expected to work, no questions asked!

The office staff are very confrontational and are very quick to pull you in for “121”s instead of praising the carers who are out in the community doing the hard work.

I have always worked within the care industry and loved my job as found it so rewarding, however, working for this company has put me off completely.

The training is not intensive enough, especially for those who are new to care and the support is simply not there.

If you want to work for a company to support you with your development then go elsewhere!
Pros
Guaranteed hours
Cons
everything
A great job overshadowed by mismanagement
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset6 September 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my position with Somerset Care. It is unfortunate that the management team were unempathetic to family needs and a circumstance outside of my control when my partner was taken into hospital after a car accident, due to these absences I was dismissed from my position, which is incredibly disappointing consider the positive feedback I had received from customers and staff. The management were inconsistent in their approach to individuals and seemed to have no actual people management skills.
The company would be great to work for if there were more focus on taking care of it's employees and supporting them when they really need it. I am now left with no job having supported my partner through a very difficult time.

Very disappointed that the management team could not find an alternative way to discuss my absences and chose such harsh path.
Pros
Lovely team
Cons
Management of staff
highly satisfying job
Senior Care Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey18 August 2018
There is nothing more rewarding than this job, knowing you are making a difference and being fully supported by your team and having the opportunity to learn new skills to become more capable in the work place.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Build up staff to knock them down.
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset16 August 2018
Worked for this company 4 years.you are expected to pick up shifts.short staffed for most of the time a bullying culture & if you face doesn't fit forget it. Loads of staff for cqc inspections which is not a true reflection on how things are done day to day. Incidents covered up other accelerated when families get Involved.Made my life a living he'll trying to be " tranparent". It's a joke.CQC stop letting care homes know you are coming. You will see a different picture.
Pros
Some of the staff
Cons
Long hours & bullying
Avoid at all cost!
Care and support worker (Current Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset1 August 2018
Where to start! Yeovil base is an absolute joke. So understaffed that you cannot give sufficient care to people. 10 calls in 5 hours, no travel time, no support and the worst business manager any company could have. So worried about saving money that all the staff and clients suffer. It’s so bad that all long standing staff are leaving due to poor management and no home/Work life balance. If you want to be treated like a piece of rubbish then work for this company.
Pros
Clients are lovely
Cons
Business manager, no support, over worked and under staffed big time.
support worker
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset30 July 2018
I have been working for Realise for just over a year. The Company will give you bespoke training for your role and any other training which you feel you need. They will work with you to get a rota around your personal life. Lots of support for both colleagues and service users. Lots of progressions opportunities throughout the company to gain qualifications (QCF).

Lots of support from management, willing to help out. open door policy for both staff and service users.

There can be hard parts to the job, however there is round the clock support even over Christmas and bank holidays.

The job is very rewarding and you get a lo back from it.
Cons
good paid, excellent training, very supportive
Don’t expect support from management.
Specialist support worker (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset25 June 2018
THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR. Realise your potential they say. Laughable. Destroy your confidence. Send you to places with no preparation, no support and definately no worries about your safety.
Management untrustworthy, will avoid putting any thing in writingand inefficient. Data protection, again laughable.
Realise don’t bother asking me to give you feedback. You had that already and chose to turn your head the other way.
Pros
Money
Cons
Every thing
It would be a great place to work if there was more support!
Learning Difficulties Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Taunton (Realise)14 June 2018
Some service-users are more challenging than others, and that would be ok if there was more support for the staff. Sometimes when you ring on-call you get an answer phone, and I have waited two hours for a reply before!!

Most of the staff have refused to work with the most difficult service-users, and there are only a couple who have held-on. The management have engaged the services of agency (who are now also refusing to return!) to fill the gaps, instead of making seniors step-in. There are too many seniors (that are paid much more), and the majority of them seem to spend most of their time in the office.It used to be a ratio of 80% shift, 20% admin...it's the other way round now, and the regular support staff are feeling over-worked and unsupported.

Shifts are constantly being swapped-about at short notice,and staff are continuously being asked to do more shifts to cover shortfalls.
I feel exhausted all the time, and am resentful about the management not leading by example. In my opinion, seniors and care team supervisors should never ask their staff to do what they are not prepared to do themselves!
Pros
Helping service-users
Cons
Too much expectation on regular staff, and no support from management.
poorly managed
Community Services Planner+ (Current Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset5 June 2018
poorly managed at a senior level and job advancement terrible, noone know whats going on, no continuity across different offices and talent poorly recognised
Poor
Care Worker/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey28 May 2018
Not a good company to work for, got phone calls even when I was on holiday abroad wanting me to confirm if I could work extra! Pretty difficult when your couple of thousand miles away! No flexibility yet your meant to be flexible for them! Wouldn’t recommend at all! If you don’t do what they want they threaten to lower your guaranteed hours! No choice of what hours you do 7am starts and 10pm finishes! Not worth the stress there are companies out there that pay more and treat staff much better. Countless issues with pay roll! The list goes on! And if your shift falls on Christmas Boxing Day and New Year’s Day your expected to do it all! Even when they are all long days which means no time with family over Christmas! They will not make any effort to give you any time off over Christmas! Very disheartening company to work for
Cons
Supportive and Caring place to work
Health Care Assistant (HCA) (Current Employee) –  Stockmoor Lodge26 April 2018
I've only been working for Somerset Care for a short amount of time but the support throughout the teams and company on a whole is second to none.

They offer good rates of pay and I've created some true friendships with my colleagues, seniors and managers.
Pros
rates of pay
Good work
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset11 April 2018
I did enjoy working there. Great laugh. Just be your self. They will always help you out when then can. And the clients are amazing. Great staff to work with
22 April 2018

Many thanks for your review. We are really pleased you enjoyed your time at Somerset Care and wish you all the best.

Enjoyable felt as if really helping people in hours of need
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torquay, Devon1 April 2018
g,personal care,palliative care giver,meals
Risk assessment,first aid getting emergency
Record keeping
Giving medication
Working with bipolar and Alzheimer
22 April 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. We are really pleased you enjoyed your time at Somerset Care supporting our customers. We wish you all the best.

Helpful staff
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westbury, Wiltshire18 March 2018
I personally had a very difficult time within this job role. Management were brilliant and very helpful but unfortnatley due to circumstances I had to leave.
Ever demanding place to work
Will not disclose (Former Employee) –  Frome8 March 2018
If you want a job that will consume every part of your life then this is perfect for you. Every other normal person this will ruin it.

If you want to be called till 10pm on a Friday night till you pick up work or have to turn off your phone then again great but if not AVOID.

Management will ignore every request you make and the office staff will be pulling their hair out they cannot fulfill the clients they have and are not given any support.

It is a very demanding job care and this employer will not support to make this easier.
Pros
Its a job and your same level co workers can be great people
Cons
Pretty much everything
22 April 2018

Sorry to hear you felt you had a negative experience working for us. We reply on feedback in order to improve. If you wish to discuss the areas you have raised above, please email hr@somersetcare.co.uk

'Somerset Care is not Perfect'
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset7 March 2018
The care industry is not static and working in the industry is not for everyone; it takes hard-working, dedicated and caring people. For many carers - who I have spoken to over the years – it’s not ‘just about paying the bills’ or ‘making sure the rent is paid’ but about making a difference in a persons’ life. This is where Somerset Care is confused. Somerset Care prides them on providing a place where people get treated ‘with respect… with patience. .a place where people feel wanted and a place where people are properly looked after.’ However, this bemuses me as many staff do not feel wanted or properly looked after, commenting that there are constant demands to pick up extra shifts and hours, too much responsibility, feeling overwhelmed due to short shortages, poor management, little or no communication, feeling undervalued and overworked. However, maybe that is just the nature of the care industry? I suspect that many carers feel the same that work for competitors. As soon as these issues are addressed and managed correctly, I feel that Somerset Care will become a better employer. However, at present: ‘Somerset Care is not perfect’ sourced from: https://www.somersetcare.co.uk/message-jane-townson-chief-executive and I feel that this is how I would explain my time there.
Pros
Working as a team, Helping valuable people
Cons
Work and Life Balance, Staff Shortages, High Staff Turnover
22 April 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to review Somerset Care. We welcome the feedback in order for us to continue to work to improve.

Worst company i have ever worked for
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Melksham, Wiltshire5 March 2018
Management is totally useless,never listen to you.Clients are treated badly,neglected.Rotas are made to siut themselves not their clients,no travel time ,pay is poor compared that you out for 10 hours and you get paid for 7!
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor pay
22 April 2018

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. If you did wish to discuss the concerns raised above, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk

Great opportunites for career development and training.
Healthcare assistant (Current Employee) –  somerset26 February 2018
The great things about Somerset care are the training opportunities and opprtunities for advancement and development. There are lots of different tyoes of care work within the company and they are keen to support people to stay with them . The company is forward looking and keep up with current research developments for example , dementia units based on person-centred care in an informal environment. The facilities are very good in general showing that the comany are putting profits back into the company.
Management and organisation is good and holidays are also good. The pay is low as in the care sector in general which effects retention of staff .
There are some really excellent staff , very committed and a good standard.
The hours are good ,overlong shifts are not encouraged and regular, predictable rotas. There is plenty of overtime if you want to work longer hours.
Very rewarding work and one of the best care companies to work for .
Pros
Good training and progression
Cons
Rate of pay and staff shortages
22 April 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to review Somerset Care. At Somerset Care we invest heavily in staff and our customers so we are really pleased you enjoyed your time working with us. We wish you all the best.

Great company to develop your skills/career
Designer (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset26 February 2018
Working in the care sector is very rewarding. Somerset Care is always looking at ways to develop and improve their services, and it's great to be a part of that.
Working here they have given me more confidence, and grown as a designer.
Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) –  Taunton25 February 2018
Great culture, and atmosphere. Really enjoy working here. Can't list any negatives. Everyone is really friendly and approachable. Every day is interesting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOMERSET CARE. Our community is ready to answer.