SOMERSET CARE

SOMERSET CARE Employee Reviews

United Kingdom189 reviews
Supervisor
Promised things at interview which didn't materialise staffing always a big issue staff mix isn't good
Pros- residents are happy and looked after management is okay although they don't sing from same hymn sheet
Amazing
I currently work for Willows within somerset care. I have been given the opportunity to grow and now am a deputy manager. Have the up most support from everyone around you. Job satisfaction every single day knowing you are helping the vulnerable.
Love It!
Without doubt the best job I've ever had. The residents are lovely and I get on so well with all the staff. Regular hours and overtime available. I've honestly never been so happy in my work as I am here.
Pros
Lovely staff (who I consider to be good friends), good management and lovely residents.
Cons
Nothing that I can think of.
More communication from higher up
I had an easy interview...
I've had past experience with care which helped.

The induction when I went to get uniform etc was rubbish. My area manager was not there just another one from another area. Who was good but not for my area. He was the other girls manager. But always helpful to me.

My area manager has now left.
Terribly managed hostile base
I joined Somerset care as a specialist care practitioner. I must say the training is poor, along with their direction. My role was much more of a care manager role than a senior role.
The carers are given little compassion and support, the constant harassment to pick up extra calls is obscene and the base is just very poorly run.
Overall poor working for this company.
Staff friendly and helpful management poor rude and unhelpful always under staffed training poor long hours to make a good wage as hourly rate low no rewards for what you do i wont work for this company.
Pros
Job for life as always short staffed
Cons
Poor management
Depressing but will do if you need a quick buck
I worked at Somerset care for 6 months and leaving that job was the best thing I could do for my mental health.
The interview process made me feel like i would be valued as part of the team but that quickly became not the case. Before you start you have to do a welcome day in Taunton and training days at your training centres which for me was Devises, after driving to these locations for me was cost me about a tank of petrol I later found that they wouldn’t reimburse me for even though I was told I would be on my first “welcome day”.

When I start working there at first the work place seemed happy and friendly but quickly I found environment was cliquey and there was lots of back stabbing and people being very two faced.

I found there was a lot of blatant favouritism and brown nosing, it was borderline impossible to have a conversation with anyone without being derogatory to another co worker.

I expressed a lot of interest in doing an NVQ but this fell flat, The NVQ assessor made me feel uncomfortable and put me off doing it because of the way she spoke to me and acted around me.

I was made to feel very much like I was very replaceable and unwelcome, I often felt like I was working to one set of rules and other people had other rules.

Lots of the shifts were under staffed, I remember looking through a months worth of rotas and not being able to find one that was fully staffed, also the shifts were only 7 hours long so going from an 8 hour working day on a 5 day week you would lose 5 hours a week which equaled roughly £40. When I started I had no choice in my days off
 - more...
Wages
I feel that for handymen at Somerset care is a big responsibility they are to maintain the whole building and make sure things are running right within the building, and the wage dose not reflect on what we have to do and I feel they should increase the wages for that role because minimum wage doesn’t reflect on what we have to do it’s a massive responsibility to look after big homes or any home.
I need to show my good behavoius to all managements
My desire is make sure the inveiloment I will work for must look clean and I will make cooperate with my all work meets as well as management at the company
Brilliant team, welcoming, friendly
I loved working with somerset care, the team were amazing, the residents were lovely, made me want to come to work. I was very happy to come to work and looked forward to it. Was very pleased by the end of my shift as i knew i had helped someone out during the day/evening.
Supervisor
Manager was terrible and they brush things under the carpet.
There is progression if you knew the right people.

Training was very good but although training good they did not follow the confidentiality policies
Underpaid and overworked
Too many hours for not enough wages. Have to do more than your job description. Bad managers that don't stick to their manual handling training and use incorrect methods, putting the residents at risk
Relaxed atmosphere, good team of people to work with. Well supported and ample training. Good team work and support from managers amazing bunch of residents who are fun to be around.
Very poor management
The hardest part of the day in my job is when you work with the most miserable people’s, and the most enjoyable is the day you working with the good team worked
Good company to work for
Regular on site training, I loved my time working for Somerset care.care is a very rewarding job role.regual hour's but expect to to do more on your daily shift.
Frith House
I have worked for Somerset care for 15 years and have had opportunities to progress.

We have lots of training on site and on computer to help with our job roles.

I find management approachable and understanding.

I enjoy my job as every day is different and varied and I like to feel that I make a difference to the residents in the home.

We have company benefits through my caring awards.
Frith House!
I have been working for Somerset care, Frith House since September and in that time I have learnt so much.

I find the whole home has a lovely warm, welcoming atmosphere. We receive lots of training to keep us on top form for our residents and their families.

The company offers us incentives to pick up shifts as well as having company benefits through My Caring Rewards.

Management are extremely supportive and approachable. They are always willing to do all they can for staff, residents and residents families.

I loved my previous job, but feel like I've found a job for life here! I absolutely love my job role and all that comes with it.
Pros
Supportive, Great atmosphere
Cons
N/a
Stressful but good teamwork
Every care role is stressful but at somerset care have a great team work ethic that is great and will really get you through those tough days.

The residents will also make your day and i feel i have achieved something each day.
Not the job for me
The pressure that they put I'm their careres was unacceptable at the time of my employment. I didn't realise that the company was stretched and hopefully it has improved by now
Ok
My typical day at work is hardworking but enjoyable,their is days where it is challenging but their is isn't a work place where their isn't have fully enjoyed working their,
Somerset-Don’t-Care
They say they’re a non profit organisation but they’re all about the money. Planning is awful, calls are changed or added on at last minute. Service users have no idea what’s going on half the time. Supervisor and manager useless, always losing paperwork, or forgetting to do this or that. Not treating people as people, but just a number, slotting Or squeezing them in when ever they can. They put horrendous pressure on staff to bend over backwards and constantly ringing and texting to work more.
Avoid!