SOMERSET CARE Employee Reviews

Avoid worst care company
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey12 December 2018
Where to start this is the worst company I have ever worked for and has left me totally exhausted. You have no support from the office and your expected to work 7 days a week we are only a number to them. The staff in the office are constantly on the phone asking you to pick up extra calls and if you say no your treated like dirt. They are quick to pull you into the office for negative feedback and supervisions but never praise you for the things you’ve done good. Management are a total joke they have no compassion or empathy for the staff let alone clients. If they are unable to cover a call they cancel it but still manage to charge the client and as for Christmas don’t get me started forget it cause working for this company means you have no family life .

Staff constantly leaving but nobody asking why .
Do hope this information has been a great help .
Pros
Cons
Not for profit company ( seriously )
Terrible management
Employee (Current Employee) –  Taunton5 December 2018
You will Be asked to do everything with no training or help. One of the managers has a bit of sense the other I wouldn’t waste time going to. just avoid. They have a refer a friend bonus but I wouldn’t want to be friends with anyone that would refer me with Somerset care.Does not care about staff and you’d be lucky to even get paid what you’re owed on time.

Avoid!!!!!!!!
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Care manager
Seriously awful
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey28 November 2018
Training is awful you will learn nothing about the job at all just legislation rubbish for days and days . No travel time at all 5 mins to get to a house 20 mins away an issue that’s been bought to the attention of management many many times but gets ignored. If your sick they still expect you to work same day even if this puts you and customers at risk as long as the calls are done they do not care. You will get up to 4 Rotas a day plus non stop calls to see if you can pick up more calls. Don’t ever expect a day off as they will change this the day before and if by some miracle you do have a day off they will call non stop to see if you can fit in any hours. You will literally put £100s in petrol and get penny’s back as they will send you all over the place.they do not care about the staff or the clients.
Pros
The actual care staff are amazing
Cons
The management is horrendous
It was good time
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Taunton22 November 2018
Good organization of work, care for cleanliness and hygiene. You need a lot of patience for residents, but also a great satisfaction that you work for the happiness of other people.
Pros
Good atmosphere at work
Cons
The need for patience and forbearance
Brilliant Head Office Support
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Various locations22 November 2018
I worked for Somerset Care for 7 years.

It is what you make of it really. The biggest problem this sector faces, and it is not limited to SSC, is the lack of funding from our local government. This has all sorts of ramifications relating to the ease at which things operate.

Throughout my time with SSC. I was always treated fairly. If I was unhappy with anything, I ALWAYS got genuine support from very kind people at central office.

The company as a whole works very hard to ensure it's clients receive the very best of care. Staff are just as important to them.

Thank you for 7 wonderful years.
Pros
A very supportive company who work very hard to look after their employees
Cons
Funding - Funding - Funding
Very poor management
Career (Former Employee) –  Cheddar, Somerset15 November 2018
Working for this company in cheddar where the new manager does not talk to staff and deputy manager is basically useless. I feel sorry for the staff that put up with this as there use to be a great team there in the past
Pros
Cons
Very bad management
Avoid.
HCA (Current Employee) –  Somerset30 October 2018
Most enjoyable part is spending time with residents. The hardest part of my job is trying to remain positive within a workplace culture and a company that does not care about their staff.
12 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. It is important to us. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. We are always keen to get feedback in order to continually improve. If you did wish to discuss the concerns raised above, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk or call us on 01823 448319

Amazing place to work
Care and Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Taunton25 October 2018
If you’re looking for job satisfaction come and join our amazing team here at Somerset Care.
Working in care and supporting all these wonderful people to live in their own homes and be as independent as they can be - brings me the greatest Joy.
12 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. It is very important to us. We are pleased to hear that you are really enjoying working for Somerset Care.
Our mission is to enhance quality of life and promote independence of older and disabled people. It sounds like you are really helping us to achieve this.
We continually strive to make Somerset Care an employer of choice so If you have any thoughts on how we could improve in any way please contact us via email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk or call us on 01823 448319

Good Company to work for!
Locality Manager (Current Employee) –  Melksham and Devizes23 October 2018
I have worked for Somerset Care for 6 years. I have progressed up the ladder from a carer to Senior Carer and now a Locality Manager for the new My Willows Service.
The company have given me good opportunities and training.
I love my job - although of course, at times - stressful! But I feel supported not only by my Management Team but by my colleagues and the carers under me. We promote team working like we are a small work family.
The company pay travel time and mileage, induction is fully paid and so is the shadowing process.
Pros
Good management and support
Cons
can be long hours
12 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you really enjoy your work at Somerset Care, that you have received good training and had the opportunity to progress within the organisation. We are always keen to get feedback in order to continually improve so if you have any thoughts that you would like to share with us in the future please don't hesitate to get in touch via email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk or call us on 01823 448319

Somerset care don't care
Hca (Former Employee) –  Somerset23 October 2018
All Somerset care, care about is money. They don't care about their staff they certainly do not care about their customers apart from how much they have to pay for a bed. Management is/was pretty grim. This home is closing, thankfully most of the customers have found new homes but there is still a few left and literally the home is being emptied around them! Other Somerset care home managers have been in to swarm the belongings and labelled what they want. Could this have not waited until there were no customers left in the building? Disgusting behaviour. Management are completely unsupportive of staff, or lack of management as this homes manager disappeared as soon as the home closure was revealed. In 6 week's not ONE person from above has asked a single member of staff 'how are you!' Somerset care do not care!!
The care team are great to work with so that's a positive.
Pros
Good staff team
Cons
No support
12 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. We are always keen to get feedback in order to continually improve. If you did wish to discuss the concerns raised above, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk or call us on 01823 448319

I’m more upset I can’t rate the company 0 stars!
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampshire1 October 2018
Few notes:
• Demand a contract as they change the rules as they go!
• The DBS is not free if you leave within the first year
• The company is poorly managed and this reflects within the individual bases
• Total invasion of YOUR life! You will receive a horrendous amount of calls, text and emails from them even when on holiday!!
• Training is not intensive enough
• No support
• No direction on what’s expected of you
• poor communication
• No respect
• No progression

Sadly this has to be the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of working for!

I along with several other members of my team fell victim to office politics and the nasty ness of senior members of staff.
The retention within this company is really poor because they don’t treat their staff well enough!!

The company has changed their name and rebranded at least 4 times!!! The reason for this is because of their BAD reputation!!
12 November 2018

Would never recommend anyone to work here
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey1 October 2018
I joined Somerset care as a competent and confident carer but sadly this company broke me!

You start with very little training, so if you are new to care be prepared to go into the community knowing next to nothing. Even as an experienced carer you are still left with very little knowledge from service user details to completing the ludicrous daily paper work.

You go into clients you have never met and have no brief so are expected to check through all of the care plan etc which is unnecessarily long but unclear.

The travel time is not practical and paid at a lesser rate than other care companies.
The length of shift is reasonable although you are expected to pull doubles, very often leaving you working a 16 hour day with an hours break!!

If you have children, get used to not seeing them as the hierarchy have no compassion for such.

You are bombarded daily with correspondence in regards to picking up extra shifts, several daily rosters and other non urgent nonsense.

The management do not treat you with any sort of respect but in return expect the world. Sadly, the office is something that most of the carers try to avoid at all costs because of the hostile environment.
Carers often feel bullied by the management at this branch and sadly leave. This puts more pressure on the carers trying to stick it out. It is a vicious circle.

This is not a company I would recommend to any friends or family member!
12 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. We take allegations of bullying extremely seriously. Please contact us to discuss your concerns mentioned above via email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk or call us on 01823 448319

Worst company EVER!!!!
Carer (Former Employee) –  Hampshire1 October 2018
This company is diabolical!!
The management lack in people skills and empathy with a “couldn’t care less” attitude.
If you want any sort of support, you aren’t going to get it. You are treated like a donkey and are not given any sort of gratitude!

Forget about holidays as they tend to reject even with 2 months notice!
If you struggle with child care, don’t expect any flexibility as they simply do not understand!

Regularly receive 4-5 rosters per day, never know what you are doing, no travel time, constantly being called text or emailed to cover extra calls!

Never receive any sort of praise, it’s always negative!!

The management team are awful!
The office environment is unpleasant!
12 November 2018

Poor company to work for
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Frome, Somerset28 September 2018
If you work in the office you have to do overtime for free so be prepared. If you work in the community then you will be constantly called to pick up shifts. Management do not care about you end of!

Great team
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Somerset23 September 2018
The home that I worked in was great and had a real family feel about it.
It’s very easy to forget you’re working for a large company but somerset care don’t offer great enhancements.
Pros
Family feel
Cons
Early starts
12 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you had such a positive experience working at one of our homes. We are always keen to get feedback in order to continually improve so if you have any thoughts on how we could please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk or call us on 01823 448319

bad employer
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minehead, Somerset20 September 2018
Bad employer, failed to meet reasonable adjustments to meet my heath needs. poor cumunication and often gave little notice of my rota on multiple occassion i was given my rota 30-45 minets befor my shift was due to start.

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey13 September 2018
I worked for the company for almost 2 years and I can honestly say that I have never been so miserable within my work place.
The management is shocking and show no compassion for their staff.
The hours are long and the gratitude is none existent!

Out the door at 6am and not returning home til 2230 with an hours break mid-day is not acceptable however it is compulsory!
Travel time is next to none and you are expected to drive back and forth from town to town.
You simply can not have a home life as far as they are concerned.
Constant phone calls, texts and emails even when abroad. If your day to work falls on Christmas Day you are expected to work, no questions asked!

The office staff are very confrontational and are very quick to pull you in for “121”s instead of praising the carers who are out in the community doing the hard work.

I have always worked within the care industry and loved my job as found it so rewarding, however, working for this company has put me off completely.

The training is not intensive enough, especially for those who are new to care and the support is simply not there.

If you want to work for a company to support you with your development then go elsewhere!
Pros
Guaranteed hours
Cons
everything
12 November 2018

A great job overshadowed by mismanagement
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset6 September 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my position with Somerset Care. It is unfortunate that the management team were unempathetic to family needs and a circumstance outside of my control when my partner was taken into hospital after a car accident, due to these absences I was dismissed from my position, which is incredibly disappointing consider the positive feedback I had received from customers and staff. The management were inconsistent in their approach to individuals and seemed to have no actual people management skills.
The company would be great to work for if there were more focus on taking care of it's employees and supporting them when they really need it. I am now left with no job having supported my partner through a very difficult time.

Very disappointed that the management team could not find an alternative way to discuss my absences and chose such harsh path.
Pros
Lovely team
Cons
Management of staff
12 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. It is important to us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed working for Somerset Care and sorry to hear of your personal circumstances. If you did wish to discuss any of the above further, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk or call us on 01823 448319

12 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail please don't hesitate to email us: hr@somersetcare.co.uk

highly satisfying job
Senior Care Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey18 August 2018
There is nothing more rewarding than this job, knowing you are making a difference and being fully supported by your team and having the opportunity to learn new skills to become more capable in the work place.
Pros
Job satisfaction
12 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write and give us your feedback. There is nothing we like more than hearing how rewarding colleagues are finding their roles at Somerset Care and how supported they feel. We are keen to continually improve so if you think of any ways that we can do this in the future then please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Build up staff to knock them down.
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset16 August 2018
Worked for this company 4 years.you are expected to pick up shifts.short staffed for most of the time a bullying culture & if you face doesn't fit forget it. Loads of staff for cqc inspections which is not a true reflection on how things are done day to day. Incidents covered up other accelerated when families get Involved.Made my life a living he'll trying to be " tranparent". It's a joke.CQC stop letting care homes know you are coming. You will see a different picture.
Pros
Some of the staff
Cons
Long hours & bullying
12 November 2018

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. We take all allegations of bullying extremely seriously. Please contact us to discuss this or any of your other concerns raised above via email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk or call us on 01823 448319.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOMERSET CARE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9