SOMERSET CARE Employee Reviews

It would be a great place to work if there was more support!
Learning Difficulties Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Taunton (Realise)14 June 2018
Some service-users are more challenging than others, and that would be ok if there was more support for the staff. Sometimes when you ring on-call you get an answer phone, and I have waited two hours for a reply before!!

Most of the staff have refused to work with the most difficult service-users, and there are only a couple who have held-on. The management have engaged the services of agency (who are now also refusing to return!) to fill the gaps, instead of making seniors step-in. There are too many seniors (that are paid much more), and the majority of them seem to spend most of their time in the office.It used to be a ratio of 80% shift, 20% admin...it's the other way round now, and the regular support staff are feeling over-worked and unsupported.

Shifts are constantly being swapped-about at short notice,and staff are continuously being asked to do more shifts to cover shortfalls.
I feel exhausted all the time, and am resentful about the management not leading by example. In my opinion, seniors and care team supervisors should never ask their staff to do what they are not prepared to do themselves!
Pros
Helping service-users
Cons
Too much expectation on regular staff, and no support from management.
Poor
Care Worker/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey28 May 2018
Not a good company to work for, got phone calls even when I was on holiday abroad wanting me to confirm if I could work extra! Pretty difficult when your couple of thousand miles away! No flexibility yet your meant to be flexible for them! Wouldn’t recommend at all! If you don’t do what they want they threaten to lower your guaranteed hours! No choice of what hours you do 7am starts and 10pm finishes! Not worth the stress there are companies out there that pay more and treat staff much better. Countless issues with pay roll! The list goes on! And if your shift falls on Christmas Boxing Day and New Year’s Day your expected to do it all! Even when they are all long days which means no time with family over Christmas! They will not make any effort to give you any time off over Christmas! Very disheartening company to work for
Cons
Supportive and Caring place to work
Health Care Assistant (HCA) (Current Employee) –  Stockmoor Lodge26 April 2018
I've only been working for Somerset Care for a short amount of time but the support throughout the teams and company on a whole is second to none.

They offer good rates of pay and I've created some true friendships with my colleagues, seniors and managers.
Pros
rates of pay
Good work
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset11 April 2018
I did enjoy working there. Great laugh. Just be your self. They will always help you out when then can. And the clients are amazing. Great staff to work with
22 April 2018

Many thanks for your review. We are really pleased you enjoyed your time at Somerset Care and wish you all the best.

Enjoyable felt as if really helping people in hours of need
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torquay, Devon1 April 2018
g,personal care,palliative care giver,meals
Risk assessment,first aid getting emergency
Record keeping
Giving medication
Working with bipolar and Alzheimer
22 April 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. We are really pleased you enjoyed your time at Somerset Care supporting our customers. We wish you all the best.

Helpful staff
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westbury, Wiltshire18 March 2018
I personally had a very difficult time within this job role. Management were brilliant and very helpful but unfortnatley due to circumstances I had to leave.
Ever demanding place to work
Will not disclose (Former Employee) –  Frome8 March 2018
If you want a job that will consume every part of your life then this is perfect for you. Every other normal person this will ruin it.

If you want to be called till 10pm on a Friday night till you pick up work or have to turn off your phone then again great but if not AVOID.

Management will ignore every request you make and the office staff will be pulling their hair out they cannot fulfill the clients they have and are not given any support.

It is a very demanding job care and this employer will not support to make this easier.
Pros
Its a job and your same level co workers can be great people
Cons
Pretty much everything
22 April 2018

Sorry to hear you felt you had a negative experience working for us. We reply on feedback in order to improve. If you wish to discuss the areas you have raised above, please email hr@somersetcare.co.uk

'Somerset Care is not Perfect'
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset7 March 2018
The care industry is not static and working in the industry is not for everyone; it takes hard-working, dedicated and caring people. For many carers - who I have spoken to over the years – it’s not ‘just about paying the bills’ or ‘making sure the rent is paid’ but about making a difference in a persons’ life. This is where Somerset Care is confused. Somerset Care prides them on providing a place where people get treated ‘with respect… with patience. .a place where people feel wanted and a place where people are properly looked after.’ However, this bemuses me as many staff do not feel wanted or properly looked after, commenting that there are constant demands to pick up extra shifts and hours, too much responsibility, feeling overwhelmed due to short shortages, poor management, little or no communication, feeling undervalued and overworked. However, maybe that is just the nature of the care industry? I suspect that many carers feel the same that work for competitors. As soon as these issues are addressed and managed correctly, I feel that Somerset Care will become a better employer. However, at present: ‘Somerset Care is not perfect’ sourced from: https://www.somersetcare.co.uk/message-jane-townson-chief-executive and I feel that this is how I would explain my time there.
Pros
Working as a team, Helping valuable people
Cons
Work and Life Balance, Staff Shortages, High Staff Turnover
22 April 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to review Somerset Care. We welcome the feedback in order for us to continue to work to improve.

Worst company i have ever worked for
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Melksham, Wiltshire5 March 2018
Management is totally useless,never listen to you.Clients are treated badly,neglected.Rotas are made to siut themselves not their clients,no travel time ,pay is poor compared that you out for 10 hours and you get paid for 7!
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor pay
22 April 2018

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Somerset Care. If you did wish to discuss the concerns raised above, please email: hr@somersetcare.co.uk

Great opportunites for career development and training.
Healthcare assistant (Current Employee) –  somerset26 February 2018
The great things about Somerset care are the training opportunities and opprtunities for advancement and development. There are lots of different tyoes of care work within the company and they are keen to support people to stay with them . The company is forward looking and keep up with current research developments for example , dementia units based on person-centred care in an informal environment. The facilities are very good in general showing that the comany are putting profits back into the company.
Management and organisation is good and holidays are also good. The pay is low as in the care sector in general which effects retention of staff .
There are some really excellent staff , very committed and a good standard.
The hours are good ,overlong shifts are not encouraged and regular, predictable rotas. There is plenty of overtime if you want to work longer hours.
Very rewarding work and one of the best care companies to work for .
Pros
Good training and progression
Cons
Rate of pay and staff shortages
22 April 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to review Somerset Care. At Somerset Care we invest heavily in staff and our customers so we are really pleased you enjoyed your time working with us. We wish you all the best.

Great company to develop your skills/career
Designer (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset26 February 2018
Working in the care sector is very rewarding. Somerset Care is always looking at ways to develop and improve their services, and it's great to be a part of that.
Working here they have given me more confidence, and grown as a designer.
Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) –  Taunton25 February 2018
Great culture, and atmosphere. Really enjoy working here. Can't list any negatives. Everyone is really friendly and approachable. Every day is interesting.
friendly staff,salary good
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset23 February 2018
I have worked for Somerset care for 2 years I enjoy my work my manager is easy to talk to about any issues I have. I enjoy helping people with their day to day lives.
Pros
good manager this always helps
Cons
never enough staff
22 April 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to review Somerset Care. We are really pleased to hear you enjoy working for Somerset Care. In the Recruitment Team we continue to work on recruiting staff, looking at different ways to attract applicants and the benefits we can offer.

Rewarding job
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Somerset23 February 2018
I can highly recommend working for Somerset care, it is a fabulous team to work for, you get fully supported in your Job role, excellent training, also opportunities for promotion.
22 April 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of Somerset Care. We are really pleased to hear this positive feedback as the Company heavily invest in all the benefits we offer staff including training and career progression opportunities.

Supportive company with opportunity to progress
Manager (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset23 February 2018
I've worked for Somerset Care for nearly 5 years, and I've been really impressed by how friendly and supportive the general culture is.
The care industry is not the easiest area to work in, however it is incredibly worthwhile and rewarding.
Like all companies it has its challenges, but I find my work varied and interesting, and I genuinely feel valued.
Pros
Supportive colleagues, progression and training opportunities
Supportive organisation
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset23 February 2018
I've worked at Somerset Care for the past 10 years. The Company has supported me to develop within my role and learn new things. I work within a friendly, welcoming team and really enjoy working here.
Pros
Training opportunities. Great teams. Supportive.
Productive caring environment
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Williton, Somerset23 February 2018
I assist service users with daily living, mostly within the specialised dementia unit.
As a care assistant it is important to ensure that all individuals are cared for in the matter that they require (person centred care) and also to create good relationships and gain their trust.
I assist service users with feeding, personal care and activities such as walks, and painting
Pros
Flexible manager
Poor management and office
Community Care Worker (Current Employee) –  West Somerset12 February 2018
Lovely clients and a variety of work. However office manager and business manager are very poor. Constant rota changes no travel time. No respect as an employee. Constant phone calls even on day off. Short staffing and low morale within the team. Not a good place to work. Which is sad as the clients and there family’s deserve better.

If you can work and be prepared to travel lots then this is the job for you.
Pros
Good wages lots of hours
Cons
Long shifts constant pressure poor management
Great clients- poor office communication.
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Somerset10 February 2018
Rosters don’t arrive till near 5pm EVERY DAY for the next shift! Planners don’t listen to clients or carers issues with times. High stress- no staff is expected to do a lot more in little time. New business manager is awful. Splitting us all up. Short staffed all the time due to how carers are treated by office staff/planners.

Do not work for this company. They will work you to the bone and still expect more.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Planning, lack of travel time.
Very fun workplace
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset7 February 2018
Working for Somerset Care was enjoyable. Working as as a Care Assistant was an extremely rewarding job. It was nice to be able to get to know all the residents and be able to help them with things they struggled to do for themselves in everyday life.
Pros
Free lunches, free uniform, free DBS check
Cons
Doing long days (12 hour shifts)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOMERSET CARE. Our community is ready to answer.