Solicitors Regulation Authority Employee Reviews

SRA - Birmingham - Customer Services
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham12 September 2019
Pay – VERY low compared to other contact centres in the region. Not an incentive to stay in this role for a long period. Luckily for me was just a stop gap but still very disappointed with what they had on offer for such a reputable company as The SRA.

Training – Poor content and structure. 3 areas needed to be trained on. However they are delivered 1 area at a time. Once you are signed off the emails and calls for 1 area, you cannot simply sign up for the next area you need to be trained on. No! - you have to wait until there are enough workers who also need to be trained on that very area. It can take up to a year to be trained on all 3 areas! What a waste of time?! The QA and QS team have unrealistic expectations of new staff and pick up on words they dislike. It’s very pedantic and unnecessary. The focus should be on whether or not the customer was given accurate information and had their query resolved.

Quite frankly found it insulting to be shown how to suck eggs, as I have worked for major companies before and been trained on multiple areas all at once. The comprehensive training structure which was common across the previous companies, made more business sense as all areas were delivered within a 4 week block. They were structured to include; a dummy system, DP role play, pair/group work, shadowing and academy week where you were supported by senior advisors.

Mentors – Only route for progression within this department. This role is available to those who have been signed off all 3 areas. They are paid extra to assist new starters in being signed off calls
  more... and emails, however they do not perform their additional duties until they have completed their own workload. This defeats the purpose of being a Mentor as new workers are given 3 months to be signed off each area they have been trained on. You end up waiting for days for your email drafts to be checked by your designated Mentor as you are not treated as a priority. So you cannot send the emails until they have been checked. This inevitably causes a delay and in the long term view, prevents you from gaining a pay rise from progressing onto this Mentor role.

Work Environment- Most isolated and unfriendly environment I’ve ever worked in! You typically spend your day at your desk either answering calls or sending emails. No one will utter a word to you throughout the whole day apart from the Call/Email Coaches when you need help. Even then, they begrudgingly leave their seats to help you. Staff are segregated into their teams and sit on their bank of desks. Team Lunches take place where staff are taken to restaurants nearby to waste 2 hours and money that the SRA could save if they spent time on creating a more engaging and inclusive workforce. During training, we were shown around other departments such as Authorisation and Notifications and the people there seemed like “normal”. It’s such a shame as I had higher expectations of The SRA but it does seem as though it is this department that is letting it down. The staff turnover is high with advisors and senior staff leaving regularly.
Friendly supportive workplace.
Customer Adviser Level 2 (Current Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands8 August 2019
The Contact Centre at the SRA is a great place to work. They have an excellent training program and ensure you receive the support you need to reach your full potential

I have an excellent manager who is really approachable and pushes me to be a better adviser.

The staff really are what make the place a great place to work everyone supports each other so that even when its really busy its a great place to work.
Interesting and fast paced
Contact Centre Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 August 2019
Great location
Great staff to work with
Supportive with work / home life balance
Very fast paced with high expectations
Customer service focused
Could do with better communication on projects
Great place to work.
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands29 July 2019
Work life balance is excellent, and managers are very supportive.
There is a lot of ongoing training, with new and yearly projects always on offer.

Progression is what you make of it, and you are encouraged to network with departments that may interest you.
Pros
Work life balance is great
Cons
Can be slow to adapt to change. Salary could be more competitive
Fantastic company that cares about staff
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 July 2019
The SRA is a great organisation that genuinely cares about the wellbeing of its staff and I think that this is the thing I most value about working here. From flexible working arrangements to employee assistance programmes and Nuffield health assessments, the organisation shows that it genuinely cares about the physical and mental wellbeing of it's staff.

It is also an organisation where you can develop yourself and there are always opportunities to improve in your current role. Managers will also support you in moving to where you want to go.

I would describe the SRA mostly as a diverse and progressive organisation. It is also great to work for an organisation that works to protect the public and support the legal profession.
Pros
Flexible working, focus on personal development, always looking to innovate
Cons
Changes can take a while to happen
Great mission driven organisation
Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 July 2019
I have worked for the SRA for two years. I was attracted by the role and strong company values. As a non-for-profit the focus here is on quality and doing the right thing. This is a very refreshing as I came from a commercially driven organisation prior to joining SRA. All the targets are achievable and there is always support if you need it. There is a very strong culture of internal development. In the past two years my team have had 15 colleagues secure promotion which is great to see and very inspirational. We have a very competitive benefits package where you can get a pay rise each year if you achieve your personal objectives. I love the fact we are a very inclusive organisation and we regularly celebrate events such as Eid, and Black History Month which is great to see. I would recommend the SRA as a place to work if you are motivated by doing the right thing and have a focus on quality.
Pros
Benefits, good work life balance, lovely offices in a great location
Cons
Can be hard to book meeting rooms for team meetings.
Management have ruined the place!
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands29 January 2019
Nice environment, friendly staff but very poor managers.
pay is too low for the job, not motivating enough.
Managers are inconsiderate and pretend to come across nice.
They treat you like robots and can be quite harsh. Not friendly to be honest. No chance of talking or socialising with anyone.people are always leaving costing them more money to hire new staff.
Maybe they need to re-evaluate their management skills and show some empathy towards staff. They too busy concentrating on other things and not managing people, they way they should!
Pros
nice place
Cons
management
Great organisation
Junior Executive (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 January 2019
I worked here on a temporary contract for six months. I had the most wondrful manager who was so lovely and understanding. The work was good too, it was very similar to my previous role and I hit the ground running. I wasn't put under any pressure and did the work at pretty much my own pace.

It's a really diverse organsiation and I was sorry to leave when my contract came to an end.

My only advice to senior mangement would be it would be good to have some diversity in the top tier of management.
Pros
Diverse and friendly staff, great offices with lots of different lunch options.
Terrible place to work
Investigating Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, UK17 December 2018
There are so many problems, it is difficult to know where to begin, but the biggest problem is the senior management at the SRA, and the CEO the biggest of all. There is a reason they have very high levels of staff attrition.

The culture is awful. In a large open plan office almost nobody speaks for the entire day. No fun, no camaraderie- not an enjoyable place to spend your working day.

The workload is absurd; the organisation does not know itself what its values are; the work processes are archaic and make the job ten times harder.

The only positives are that you can leave on time, and the salary is good. Strangely, the individuals who work there are largely very pleasant, but as an organisation it is terrible.
Great place to work - inclusive, flexible and protects the public's interests
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 September 2018
I thoroughly enjoy working at the SRA. The people are great; committed, intelligent and knowledgeable. The organisation has a great culture: flexible (where and when it can be), strong emphasis on work-life balance and is incredibly diverse/inclusive. People work hard and you have to deliver - it's not an easy ride - but it is relatively relaxed.

Working for an organisation that is committed to the well-being of its employees (it takes mental health very seriously which a lot of organisations still don't) and is a not for profit working for a good cause, makes a lot of difference and attracts a certain type of person.

I can't recommend highly enough.
Pros
People, location, culture, diversity
Cons
Change can take a long time, dynamism can lack in some teams
Fun and interesting place to work
Authorisation Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 September 2018
A typical day involves drafting decision reports on applications after conducting detailed investigations and applying the SRA Regulations. Not much scope for advancing career but a fun place to work nonetheless.
Productive, inclusive and fair
Level 2 Claims Investigator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 April 2018
A great place to work for working mothers, very inclusive of all faiths and all walks of life.

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the company as an employer.
Pros
flexible working environment
Cons
progressive and varied place to work
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Birmingham15 September 2016
flexible employer, opportunities to progress. Performance related pay to encourage and motivate. opportunities for staff engagement
Pros
good benefits including healthcare and flexible working
Cons
recruitment process
productive and fun place
(Contact Centre Officer) The Cube (Current Employee) –  Birmingham26 July 2016
taking calls
able to shadow various teams
communicating to stakeholders by emails and letters
co-workers extremely helpful
good experience for those wishing to work in the legal field
Challenging and interesting
Forensic Investigator (Current Employee) –  Home/field based22 June 2016
Engaged in investigating breaches of the Codes of Practice and other relevant material. Attending the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal to give evidence. Preparation of reports.
Pros
Ability to prioritise workload
intellectually demanding and rewarding
Policy Executive (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG3 December 2014
The SRA has some of the brightest people I've ever met working for them. There is a great mix of legal, policy, communications, and research expertise.

The work is complex and ever-changing - during the course of one day I could be advising colleagues on how to make sure solicitors or students comply with our regulations, drafting secondary legislation, writing web content, or planning events where we meet people to tell them about new ways of working.

The best part of my job is knowing that I've helped, in some small way at least, to ensure that people who need legal help have access to properly qualified solicitors with the right level of integrity.
Pros
colleagues, pay and benefits, work life balance
Cons
limited career progression
Great employer to work for.
Operations / Authorisation Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG19 May 2014
A varied day everyday. Hard work, challenging but rewarding. Great team and understanding management. Always happy to praise for excellence at work.
Pros
Friendly place to work and entrusted to get on with the work.
Cons
Contract coming to an end.
Highly Reputable Company
Contact Centre Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham13 April 2014
Until I arrive at work I never know what my assigned tasks will be. My prescribed duties require me to deal with both written and telephone contact, however I am frequently asked to perform senior ad hoc assignments to offer additional support to my business unit.

I have an excellent relationship with work colleagues, not only in the department that I work in but across the business. I am seen as somebody that is always on hand to help and offer support.

The most enjoyable part of this role is the diverse nature of the people that I come into contact with on a daily basis. These range from members of the public and solicitor profession as well as senior members of staff across the many departments within the SRA.
Excellent employer
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Redditch19 September 2013
This was a great company to work for. The support of management was excellent and I enjoyed my time at the company.
Friendly Staff.
Administration assistant/ Call centre operator (Former Employee) –  Redditch27 January 2013
* Dealing with large amounts of calls and data processing
* Handling sensitive information from solicitors
* Advising solicitors of regulatory rules
* Discussing career histories/firm histories & staff histories
* Constant training in all aspects of Solicitors Regulatory rules & processes
* Gaining knowledge of the Legal Ombudsman & Community Legal Advice team.
* Updating the Regis, Tactical & Dynamics system ensuring sensitive information is recorded and dealt with accordingly and efficiently.
* Completing daily admin tasks such as replying to a large number of emails, letters and telephone calls.
* Being responsible for updating and informing staff of the daily statistics and team board information
Pros
increased knowledge in the field of law
Cons
temporary contract ending.