SOCOTEC UK Limited Employee Reviews

A vile “workplace”
Technician (Former Employee) –  Bretby, Derbyshire21 November 2019
I have never worked in such a horrible environment, both in terms of the workplace and numerous staff working there. Management are extremely rude and verging on incompetent. The morale of staff and their mental health is unlike anything I have seen before (not in a good way) due to how horribly they are treated. Bullying and harassment is rife at SOCOTEC. Avoid this place like the plague it is disgusting
Racist bullies
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  London16 October 2019
Overall work was fine, but constant harassment from the managers made the place a nightmare to work, everybody there hates their job and i cannot blame them.
A good starting point
Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent11 October 2019
A good place to either start your career or gain valuable experience. Because of the high turnaround of staff, a person could learn a lot in a short time frame as they will pass from one test to another in a matter of months. There are flexible options for working hours and management is overall understanding and helpful. Pay is a little poor, however, well within the range of big companies.
Fantastic working Environment
Business Development Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bretby, Derbyshire9 October 2019
Can't Fault Management - the trust and level of respect I've received has been incredible.

The office environment is exactly what I was looking for. something where all the team have equal treatment and a relaxed approach whilst still being trusted to work hard and complete tasks required.
Drugs issue
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Bretby, Derbyshire6 October 2019
Drugs problem within the staff and management. It was reported numerous times but no action was taken. Had to leave my position to make a point. Avid if possible.
Awful Company
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire1 October 2019
Awful Management who think they are infallible. False promises made to Account Managers in regards clients and expectations. Terrible working environment with miserable staff in the office. Working morale amongst staff is low, this is reflected by the high staff turnover this company has. Awful people and the pay is worse and not comparable to the current market!
Poor wage that will never change. Would not reccoment.
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear11 August 2019
Worked there for 6 years good set of lads and very easy job. Other than that pay is poor and the expect the world for that pay. You could do all the training they have to offer but your rate of pay wont budge.
Pros
Work van
Cons
Long hours. Poor rate of pay that doesn't go up.
Awful place to work
Former analyst (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire14 July 2019
I used to work in the specialist chemistry department at Burton. Morale was rock bottom, equipment not fit for purpose, fume hoods not fit for purpose, health and safety non existent. The management, including lab managers were less than useless and were only focused on so-called turnaround times which even meant reporting blank reports with no results to clients so as to "meet the turnaround time." Experienced and knowledgeable staff were subjected to witch hunts where false accusations were invented by management which resulted in high stress levels and even a nervous breakdown. The majority of staff were actively looking for alternative employment. Most staff on very low pay (minimum wage) with the odd ones on over 30k doing the same work.
Avoid this place.
Great company
Business Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bretby, Derbyshire21 June 2019
I have worked with SOCOTEC for just over 2 years and can confidently say I enjoy my role. There is a great team of people to work alongside both within the office and throughout the business.

There can be challenging moments but at the same time, you are acknowledged and appreciated for your hard work which makes it much more rewarding. Great management who have supported me, and still are, during my role and my progression within the business.

Overall a great company to work for and no negative comments to make.
Great place to be if you genuinely want to progress
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  England13 June 2019
I enjoy my role, I am not micro managed and the leadership team support me as and when I need it.

SOCOTEC are not afraid of the, sometimes, hard questions and when an employee makes a fair point or suggestion and is able to provide an alternative or solution they are listened to. I get fed up of hearing people moan about the company not making changes but then not offering any suggestions.

There are obviously frustrations in the workplace as with any company, the work/life balance can be tough, but that is more about not letting my line manager know that I have struggled at times.

Overall, the best place I have worked, I am approached regularly about taking new roles at alternative companies but the fact I am still at SOCOTEC says a lot.

If you want a company where there is the opportunity to genuinely make a difference and you want to commit, work hard and get rewarded, SOCOTEC works. If you expect something for nothing and get frustrated when you don't get it, probably not the place to be.
Pros
Responsibility, Teamwork, Trust
Cons
Basic salary could be better, lack of sick pay
Poor management
Materials Technician (Former Employee) –  Warrington28 April 2019
long working hours.
No chance of a salary increase or advancement in you career.
Higher management don't care in head office, It's all about the money.
Most enjoyable part was going home at the end of the shift.
Pros
good team leader
Cons
terrible higher management, they want your help for making more money but yet again you gain nothing from this.
Terrible place to work
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent13 April 2019
The company are over committing on jobs that they cannot complete on time. Some account managers think they are management and take it upon themselves to ‘run the company’. Horrible office atmosphere with some really rude and arrogant people. I’ve never work in a organisation with such poor ethics. Was told I’d be field based and meeting client etc however I was stuck in the office everyday, Monday- Friday from the day I started.
Look elsewhere - Shocking practices
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Bretby, Derbyshire28 March 2019
Socotec is an awful company to work for. The staff turnover means there is rarely anyone who truly understands all the methods in place, and any personal development takes a back seat. Management are not concerned about training, job satisfaction or quality of results. They are only concerned with turnaround of samples. Analysts are often instructed to report results despite failing quality control systems. Equipment is extremely outdated and not fit for purpose. Several staff members with vital jobs, such as Quality Control, Standards Preparation and Lab-based technicians have been made redundant to save money, and their workloads forced onto others, resulting in resignations of other staff. Morale is low, conditions are poor, health and safety is non-existent, and quality is a second thought. PPE provided is not fit for purpose, despite several incidents demonstrationg the dangers. Management make it clear that there is no chance of career or salary progression, but only after you have accepted the role.

The only perk of the job was flexible start/finish times, which several of the staff relied on due to childcare commitments. Without warning, this has now been revoked, resulting in further anger, low morale, and resignations. Management have also shortened our breaks, so we are now expected to work longer without extra pay. At Socotec, staff are not humans, we are robots. You will not enjoy your time at Socotec.
Pros
free parking
Cons
Poor working conditions, aggressive treatment by management, low pay, No training or career progression.
Poor
Technician (Former Employee) –  Daventry, Northamptonshire3 February 2019
Poor pay for what you do never see the manger no one cares and the turn over of staff is unbelievable.The only good thing is that you can do what you want.
Pros
Cons
Do what you want
Genuinely miss it
Organic Extraction Technician (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire27 January 2019
Met some amazing people and learnt a lot. Always a great atmosphere and I always enjoyed going into work. Really enjoyed the amount of responsibility you could take on when you had the confidence to try new things, management always happy to help you progress.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay
Nice people to work with
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees19 January 2019
Good company to work for. Hard working and good team working. I like to be busy but some days are too quiet. The people are friendly and training is good.
Working exciting connstruction sites
Section Supervisor Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Uxbridge10 January 2019
Socotec has great oppertunities to progress. Starting from the bottom and in time progressing to management level. Be sent on courses/Training. Can work abroad.
Pros
Take home company vehicle
Cons
Can work long hours
Good company but could be excellent
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 December 2018
I've been with SOCOTEC (formally ESG) for over 10 years. If you a prepared to work hard and not expect progression through time served then it's a good place to develop a career. Senior management and directors are very professional but obviously showing signs of stress after the new owners took over which filters down the line to their teams. Hopefully see some large investment in the business now SOCOTEC have taken over.

I'm personally very pleased to be working for a company which has such a diverse range of services to offer. It is hard work but it's never boring!
Pros
Good career opportunities
Cons
Poor perks
Unsupportive management. No where to progress to. Poor wages.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bretby, Derbyshire12 November 2018
Individual team members are lovely. So are team leaders. Upper management have completely unrealistic views of work loads, turn around times, and personal development takes a back seat. Extremely high work load. Pressure to take over time. Poorly paid considering requires a degree or extensive experience (think 15k starting). No where to progress to as no upper management ever leave. No personal development plan held while there. No direct route to learn anything new. High turn over of regular staff increases pressure to perform on any other staff memeber. No benefits to speak of. Pension plan the standard government one. Hard to get to - as no public transport really. Requires you to be able to drive. Lots of redundancies across the business. Not handled professionally.
Pros
Friendly team members.
Cons
Poorly paid. No progression. No support. Stressful.
Job Satisfaction
Sample Registrar (Current Employee) –  Bretby, Derbyshire5 August 2018
Job satisfaction. Good hours including overtime. Locality as no transport is required. Training continual. Good progression opportunities available.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOCOTEC UK Limited. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6