SOAS, University of London Employee Reviews

4.2Pay & Benefits
Elior caters at Soas university
Hospitality Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bruney gallery suite25 June 2017
Providing a professional, friendly and efficient customer services to senior management, foreign dignitaries and other senior executives.
Effectively maintain a catering inventory by managing and serving food to customers in meetings, parties and events.
Guiding/ explain to the customers the functions and evens taking place on the premises
Maintaining and supervise high degree of hygiene at the serving place.
Coordinating events and functions with others colleagues for quick and efficient customer satisfaction.
Answering and responding to phone calls/emails prom.
I learned that the customers are always right, and be passion and sort out dificult situation in customer services.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when the costumer come to the team and say everything was great and fantastic!
productive and a fun place to work
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  London, ENG10 August 2015
Working as a student ambassador has given me the ability to choose a flexible working environment that goes hand in hand with my degree and extra extracurricular activities. My job mainly involves working closely with academic enhancement offers, lecturers and students to deliver study based workshops and lectures. A typical day at work will for instance involve delivering an introductory presentation to visiting students. This is then followed by delivering several short (45 minutes) criminal law lectures or specific topic based tutorials (e.g. import and export in Africa).

I have gained many skills whilst working as a student ambassador. I am an excellent team worker and I am able to take instructions from all levels and build good working relations with my colleagues. My job has enhanced my communication and interpersonal skills, allowing me to deliver presentations and work with students and stuff more confidently. I have learnt the importance of time keeping and efficiency whist producing a high standard of work. High levels of motivation and positivity are essential qualities to this job and I can certainly see myself as a positive, ambitious and career motivated individual.

Perhaps the hardest part of working as a student ambassador is ensuring that the information I deliver is clear and sound. This is because I work with students from different age groups (thus, different education levels). Therefore, when I am delivering a criminal law workshop for example (bearing in mind law is a complex subject), I must pay attention to the language I am using and ensure
  more... terms are clearly explained. Moreover, it is important to keep the students focused and interested, and for this I would prepare a PowerPoint slide to support my presentation and a short mooting problem to help consolidate information whilst keeping the workshop interactive.

It would be quite hard to pick a specific part of my job and label it as the most enjoyable. Even with the difficulties that I might face whilst working as a student ambassador, there is nothing that I do not enjoy. My job offers a friendly and positive work environment that allows for me to confidently enhance my skills whilst being complementary to my law degree. It has further given me the opportunity to learn about other academic subjects and thus widen my general knowledge and open my mind to other academic areas.
Fun and productive
Staff Development Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ENG29 June 2015
An excellent place for work. Brilliant working environment. Helpful and enthusiastic colleagues who always look for making a better and enjoyable working environment putting customers needs first.
A great place
Study Skills Lecturer (Current Employee) –  London, ENG13 June 2015
SOAS is an interesting and dynamic place to work. It has unique atmosphere with a range of employees from across the world. It has been a pleasure to work there.
Interesting and flexible job
Digital Archive Assistant (Current Employee) –  London26 January 2013
The work is flexible, I can more or less decide what tasks to pick up and when to work on which tasks. I definitely improved my IT skills and I learned a lot about the ins and outs of digital language archiving. The people I work with are all fun and intelligent people who have a passion for languages and language documentation. The hardest part of the job is having to make sense of a large collection of data which can be messy and unorganized. The challenge, and also the most satisfying part of the job is when you do manage to make sense of the data and to structure them in a clear way. The result is a browsable collection of linguistic data which can be used for e.g. research and language learning, by the language community, linguists and researchers or any other interested users. This is what makes the work interesting and rewarding.
Pros
access to the library, flexible hours, good atmosphere, interesting materials to work with
Cons
much computer work