SOAS, University of London

SOAS, University of London Employee Reviews

United Kingdom12 reviews
Good place to work. The employers are always ensuring that the ambassadors are well, and check in to see how they are doing. They also like to help ambassadors improve.
Typical day at work involved a lot of diary management, arranging meetings, booking travel, monitoring expense claim submissions

Involved alot of work sharing in colleagues' absence.

Open plan format made it sometimes difficult to focus.
Pros
Convenient central location
Cons
Competitive at the time as permanent staff and temporary staff vying for roles
SOAS requires alot of change in so many areas particularly in the area of culture.
Progression opportunities and development is poor, and many of the people who work there are unhappy, un- motivated and generally demoralised.
I was working to provide better digital solutions for marketing, as well as the prospectus and student on-boarding teams. The industry is going through a lot changes, and budgets are becoming increasingly tighter, so design marketing campaigns was particularly hard.
It has been a good experience working at SOAS, the only reason I am seeking employment elsewhere is due to uncertainty with my fixed term contract. My colleagues and manager have been nice people to work with. The holiday allowance is excellent.
Very calm place to work and the employer is supporting employees in many ways. Multicultural environment and many courses to train the staff. Flexibility in working hours.
This is a university, so no job details, I would rate this uni as one of the best in London if you are looking to study oriental or african studies. Being in the heart of London makes it really central for all the other parts of the London University including Senate house library
Pros
Good teachers
Cons
Expensive
Providing a professional, friendly and efficient customer services to senior management, foreign dignitaries and other senior executives.
Effectively maintain a catering inventory by managing and serving food to customers in meetings, parties and events.

Guiding/ explain to the customers the functions and evens taking place on the premises

Maintaining and supervise high degree of hygiene at the serving place.

Coordinating events and functions with others colleagues for quick and efficient customer satisfaction.

Answering and responding to phone calls/emails prom.

I learned that the customers are always right, and be passion and sort out dificult situation in customer services.

the most enjoyable part of the job is when the costumer come to the team and say everything was great and fantastic!
Working as a student ambassador has given me the ability to choose a flexible working environment that goes hand in hand with my degree and extra extracurricular activities. My job mainly involves working closely with academic enhancement offers, lecturers and students to deliver study based workshops and lectures. A typical day at work will for instance involve delivering an introductory presentation to visiting students. This is then followed by delivering several short (45 minutes) criminal law lectures or specific topic based tutorials (e.g. import and export in Africa).

I have gained many skills whilst working as a student ambassador. I am an excellent team worker and I am able to take instructions from all levels and build good working relations with my colleagues. My job has enhanced my communication and interpersonal skills, allowing me to deliver presentations and work with students and stuff more confidently. I have learnt the importance of time keeping and efficiency whist producing a high standard of work. High levels of motivation and positivity are essential qualities to this job and I can certainly see myself as a positive, ambitious and career motivated individual.

Perhaps the hardest part of working as a student ambassador is ensuring that the information I deliver is clear and sound. This is because I work with students from different age groups (thus, different education levels). Therefore, when I am delivering a criminal law workshop for example (bearing in mind law is a complex subject), I must pay attention to the language I am using and ensure
 - more...
An excellent place for work. Brilliant working environment. Helpful and enthusiastic colleagues who always look for making a better and enjoyable working environment putting customers needs first.
SOAS is an interesting and dynamic place to work. It has unique atmosphere with a range of employees from across the world. It has been a pleasure to work there.
The work is flexible, I can more or less decide what tasks to pick up and when to work on which tasks. I definitely improved my IT skills and I learned a lot about the ins and outs of digital language archiving. The people I work with are all fun and intelligent people who have a passion for languages and language documentation. The hardest part of the job is having to make sense of a large collection of data which can be messy and unorganized. The challenge, and also the most satisfying part of the job is when you do manage to make sense of the data and to structure them in a clear way. The result is a browsable collection of linguistic data which can be used for e.g. research and language learning, by the language community, linguists and researchers or any other interested users. This is what makes the work interesting and rewarding.
Pros
access to the library, flexible hours, good atmosphere, interesting materials to work with
Cons
much computer work
Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOAS, University of London. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2