Play YouTube video button
Smyths Toys

Smyths Toys Employee Reviews

United Kingdom526 reviews
Featured review
Smyths Toys selected this as a representative review
I enjoyed my job here at Smyths, I got on with the staff and the management, for me there was always something to do, from working on a department to working the canopies, the only down side of working here is the 3 month temporary contracts for the 1st year of working in Smyths as you don’t know if you will be kept on or not
Awful place to work at! The only positive is making friends with fellow staff and short bus commute for me. Expect to do 10-12 hour shifts. Break schedules are a mess and if management don’t favour you then expect to be picked on! Female managers were awful, rude and extremely unprofessional it just makes you wonder how they got their current positions. All they ever do is sit and chat in the office gossiping about staff and never answer radio calls and if they ever do they answer back sarcastically or are very angry and rude over simple questions. The only time they get off their bums is when the regional or someone from high up comes to visit!! Overall not the best place to work at so avoid at all cost!!!
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Breaks, very long hours, awful management
Productive and fun to work with friendly staff and customers. Would work with Smyths again. I was sad to leave. If offered permanent position I would take it.
Pros
Lunch breaks and discounts
Cons
Not enough hours
Great supportive management, a fun working environment where everyone is happy to help each other. Low contracted hours but the hours given are never actually that low. Plenty of jobs to keep busy with and never a boring day.
I started on a temporary contract at smyths conveniently for them just before Christmas. They treated me terrible and the managers didn’t even know how a p45 worked. They often expect you to stay after the hours you’re clocked in for with no warning before hand with it being frowned upon If you have a life and have to leave at the agreed time. The managers select their favourites and often shave hours off the payroll to save money which is just d*mn right illegal. Sometimes they offer a 24hour shift for 8.50 an hour imagine accepting that lol. Overall worst company ever and i strongly advice all avoid unless extremely desperate.
Pros
Young staff
Cons
Terrible pay, long hours, bad management, rude customers
i worked at smyths toys in leicester for nearly four years with no retail experience when i first arrived i had great training through out i never stopped learning which was great. great staff that have become awsome friends and managment very understanding working around home life very good balance. Hard at times as xmas is very busy but great place to work.
Pros
learnt alot here... always diffrent things to do. staff r great.
Cons
mardy customers at xmas
Fantastic start and first year then everything starts to go downhill if you're lucky enough to be kept on. Management play the favourite game. Only give the hours, training and promotions to those that kiss backside all day long. Penalised for having an opinion and if you have any ideas they'll be stolen and passed off as a management idea. Long service means nothing to management. Dedication and commitment mean nothing. If you do get promoted you'll be promised the world only to find you actually have no responsibility other than taking the blame when things go wrong. No two managers sing from the same hymn sheet, it's almost as if they're in competition with each other. It's only an 8 hour contact but you will get more hours than that but management show no remorse if they don't have the hours, they'll give them to those they prefer. Business is always more important than family.
Pros
Fun place to work other than management especially if you're a big kid at heart
Cons
Everything else.
At my branch in Fareham, it was full of great people so the three years I spent there were pretty fun. The company itself is just very cold and unforgiving, as many retailers are guilty of in this country.
Pros
Fun work mostly
Cons
Not much respect from the more corporate side
fast paced, nearly all staff under 25, heart or capital always on the radio, quite physical, ie moving ladders and large boxes, lovely group of people in a relaxed environment. managers are some of the best i've ever had, really supportive and hours are flexible. weekly pay and a different shift pattern every week via the whatsapp group. nice uniform, easy tills
Pros
good pay - £8.20 for under 18s
absolute joke of a company to work for and honestly the managers are terrible. Nothing but favouritism and belittling staff members to make themselves feel better. Avoid this company like the plague.
Pros
none. Litterally none.
Cons
Inconsistent hours, horrible managment, terrible employee benefits and very poor incentive to give any effort for the company.
Fast paced fixed term. Did notv have to deal with customers a lot.Mainly packing and general housekeeping, working as a team 6-8 people on shift at any time.
Pros
Able to pack without interference
Cons
Nights
Positives: - Enjoyable job for the money. - Colleagues nice.
Negatives: - Not great hours as they vary constantly and are never guaranteed.

- No job security for first 12months. High turnover of staff in this time.

- Management POOR at best. Ok if they like you, not so much if they don’t. Very unprofessional, lots of Whispers behind backs and favouritism among management. Disorganised with posting rotas
Pros
Money is good. Colleagues nice.
Cons
Management. Hours vary hugely. No security job wise.
I was offered a position at Smyths before the store (Lincoln) opened. Received a few weeks training at the nearest store and then spent two 60 hour weeks putting our store together. Peak times like Christmas are hectic, was lucky enough to be working the night shifts during this period. Management at my store were amazing, very understanding of my issues getting to and from work and went above and beyond to ensure my needs were accommodated. Generally a good work culture and definitely room for progression if you’re mature and professional. Overall I loved the position, you probably couldn’t pick a better retail job if you tried!
Pros
Good work culture, great management, hard to not have fun working with toys
Cons
Peak times can be demanding, no moreso than any other retail though
Expected to stay on a till, given a radio to contact other staff members should a customer need help, radio rarely worked so had to leave the till to find a colleague. Come back to my till to find a queue and get moaned at because there’s a queue. I left due to stress, the staff were nice but the management, all three of them, weren’t great. One spent his entire working day glued to his mobile phone.
Pros
Colleagues okay. Toys!
Cons
Management weren’t great. Little support for till staff.
I enjoyed working their it was slow paced and the shift patterns were good. Manangment are good catering to your needs out of work also. Overall top notch place
We were employed when Smyths in birstall first opened. We got the job, we literally had to help build the shelves and everything in the place. After a month of it all being done most of us were let go. Conveniently for them we were on temporary/trial. The managers were too stressed out to help and constantly lead. And could not handle the pressure. Deffinatley favoured ladies over the men
Very busy I worked here on a seasonal contract for 3 1/2 months in 2017and 2019 and gained a lot of retail experience got to meet lots of people
Get to see lots of new products
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Getting there OK if you drive or live nearer to the store
I myself have mild autism and have experienced this for months. They need to have a hard understanding of employees with disabilities, working side by side and making it an enjoyable place to work, not discriminate them with a reason that doesn't help them or themselves and let them get bullied by a (so-called) software manager twenty-four seven. I loved my job, best job In the world, but behind the scenes is a nightmare
Management came and left often. New ones lasting a few months 8 at the most. Work was gruelling and unappreciated, with much in the way of personnel politics. There was always favourites for managers. Favourites and cheaper staff were more likely to be kept on when it came to temp contracts.
I enjoyed my time at Smyth's,we all got on well ,my only regret is that I wasn't kept on ,but would go back in a heartbeat
The premises were clean and safe,the work was fast paced as I was replenishing stock,and had to be finished on time and to a very high standard,
Awful company that exploits people. As a manager I was told to shave hrs off staff time cards to cut payroll costs, worked shifts frequently of over 24hrs in length. They have no care at all for the people and only about ridiculous/unachievable standard, and profits.

Be wary of mgmt. roles advertised in June/July. These are to pad out teams for Q4, then cut them after Xmas before 6month probations are up. essentially they just want temp slaves to work guts out. They were the most unethical and unprofessional company I’ve ever seen!