SMS Plc

SMS Plc Employee Reviews

United Kingdom42 reviews
Extremely mundane work, no progression. Pay is not great considering the work we are given and the team I was on was vital to the company (apparently).

You are either on 16k a year or 30k if the company likes you. Don’t get it.

You are made to feel worthless and invaluable if you are new or are not a manager. You don’t feel respected
16 September 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience, however we are disappointed to read your comments. We’d really like to discuss the concerns you’ve raised so please get in touch with the HR team via hrcardiff@sms-plc.com for a confidential discussion.
If you like working ridiculous hours every week with no let up then this job is for you. The overtime money is ok and when you do the hours you will get paid for them. The downsides are you will be driving all over the country sometimes 2 and a half hours to your first job and they will still want you to do 4 duals minimum handing nothing back. The work planning is shocking. They also dont save emails you send when you return faulty meters or stock and subsequently then dont remove them from your stock list. They then charge you for any missing assets when you leave at an alarming rate even if youve accounted for them. Basically dont count on a final pay cheque. Management were bullies and didnt allow jobs to be given back even if traffic jams and if youre on call you will get lumbered with day work that isnt complete. If you love 80 hour weeks for ok money its worth the run around. If you dont then avoid
Pros
Always overtime
Cons
Too much expectation for overtime. No grasp of travel time or geography. Dont value staff properly
20 August 2020
Thanks for your feedback, we're disappointed to hear your thoughts on working for the company. We will look into your points as we are keen to improve the working environment for all of our employees. SMS are working towards becoming an Employer Of Choice which includes considering all feedback received and acting on any improvements that can be made. Please do get in touch with the HR team via hrdoncaster@sms-plc.com for a confidential discussion.
Initially seemed like a dream, but cracks soon start to show.
Wouldn't know a good worker if they walked up and slapped them in the face.

Minimum wage with maximum responsibility should be there tagine.

Initially you are given more than enough time to complete the tasks assigned within your job roll (although don't expect any training) but these will soon increase, with more and more work placed upon you, with increasing pressure. All thanks to money grabbing, greedy, and ignorant departmental managers.

You are definitely not thanked, rewarded or respected for all of the effort you put in, such as training new starters, picking up reports and other tasks.

Don't be fooled by the promise of a brighter future, more money or a promotion. These tactics are used on everyone to manipulate you into staying in the department on slave wages.
Pros
It's money at the end of the day.
Cons
Working for SMS, Poor Higher Management, Poor Business Communications, Internal Segregation
30 June 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience, as you would expect we are disappointed to read your comments. SMS are an Accredited Real Living Wage employer. We also reward our employees with a benefits package which is continually reviewed, including a recent increase in starting holiday allowance to 25 days plus 8 bank holidays and the introduction of a company Cycle to Work Scheme. Your feedback is important to us and we would like to further discuss this with you, therefore please get in touch with the HR team via hrcardiff@sms-plc.com for a confidential discussion.
To many jobs issued, behind the scenes help doesn’t exist, only interested in meters on the wall, Management are clueless and don’t realise you could quit on Friday and start a new job on Monday.
Pros
I was paid once a month
Cons
I had to work here
My time at SMS plc started fine, it was busy enough and we all helped as a team but towards the end everyone was very dissolutioned and less and less prepared to help the team. Only a few good members of management at any level.
I worked at sms for a number of years and it was a waste of time and energy. There are no benefits to stick with the company long term and pay was poor with no guaranteed reviews even. They give you 20 days holiday to start there, which is pathetic. As a retention bonus you get one day added a year, what a joke! Please avoid this company, the management are happy churning the staff as they will sneers gets people on at graduate level who are desperate for work. An absolute sham.
24 June 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience, however we are disappointed to read your comments. We are continually reviewing our benefits package and earlier this year we increased our starting holiday allowance to 25 days plus bank holidays - after 5 years service employees are awarded with a further 5 days taking the allowance to 30 days plus bank holidays.
I feel staff was often treated unfairly and also the company is unreliable. Needing to his targets so booking in an unrealistic number of installs in a day leaving customers unhappy when staff was having to ring them to let them know the engineer wouldn't be attending. Managers would often not get involved in dealing with these difficult calls.
Compliance department - Very strict on metering operatives, whom are treated unfairly, disrespected and criticised.
Metering operatives are put under pressure finding it difficult to get the correct tools, equipment, uniform and PPE, overall disorganised.

Operations are under pressure and most managers are good to work for.

Training department - poorly managed. lack of standardisation with compliance.
24 June 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience, however we are disappointed to read your comments. We’d really like to discuss the concerns you’ve raised so please get in touch with the HR team via hrglasgow@sms-plc.com
Started off reasonably well, but unfortunately over the years the company began to slack in management. Tighter and unrealistic targets were pushed onto the employees and were bullied to meet these targets. There was no understanding or appreciation of employees personal or social time. This company has very bad management structure and takes advantage of hard working decent employees.
31 March 2020
I would 100% not recommend working within this department to anyone. The management are always too busy to listen or offer any help, there is no training provided and when any mistakes or client issues arise management pin the blame and offer no support. There is blatant preferential treatment and bullying within the teams. There is high turnover within the department due to the way staff are being treated by management. The constant change of head of department makes it an unstable working environment, where you don’t know what to expect from one week to the next. Staff are underpaid and receive very little incentive or bonus.
16 March 2020
Everything is great we all do work but still have fun in a work place which i think is one of the key's.And making sure everything is great like call quality and all bookings are correct not just for our company but for our companys engineers that goes out so no jobs gets aborted or cancelled.
31 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, we’re glad you enjoy working at SMS - booking accuracy is very important for the reasons you have pointed out and we pride ourselves on the quality of our work.
Small business which is very focused on customer service and delivering results. Fast paced and prepared to make change happen. Current challenges around technology and overall customer proposition.
I worked for a contractor via SMS and overall the contractor and SMS were on a par for one of the worst companies i have ever worked for. The contractor didn't give a monkeys about how you were treated by SMS, not looking at both sides of the story so very narrow minded. The scheduling was horrific with completely clueless kids who clearly have never driven on the road sending you all over the place and then expecting excessive workloads also !! The contractor management were god awful too with no thought from the engineers point of view !! ( Inexperienced management from SMS aswell as the contractor)
The training in Doncaster was great as was the accomodation so no issues there.

I am pleased i quit because overall you were on a hiding to nothing and eventually made me ill due to this and a few other factors.

A word of warning..........Think carefully if you get offered a chance with this company ( or someone that contracts to SMS like i did )
Pros
The money was OK.
Cons
Both companys suck !! Poor scheduling as always. Disappointing management on both sides.
From the outside SMS has an outstanding reputation but once you're employed by them the cracks start to show. You're more of a van driver than a meter installer with SMS, ridiculous miles. Constant monitoring of van trackers and asked to explain yourself even if you stop for lunch but these questions come from planners in the office who think theyre the boss, very over the top with health and saftey, on going stock issues. You're seen as a number with no recognition for what you do, overtime is never paid at what it should be and they always find a reason to deduct money off your £200 a month health and saftey bonus.
19 February 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience. Safety is our number one priority; however we are disappointed to read your other comments. We’d really like to discuss the concerns you’ve raised so please get in touch with the HR team via hrglasgow@sms-plc.com
It hurts to write this as I started at SMS with Optimism and enthusiasm, however within a 6 month period that had all but vanished. A company with so much promise, held back by poor management, an inability to support its staff and pay each department fairly, overwork their staff and a lack of preparation. Their departments have a tribal atmosphere of "us against them" and gossip/rumours galore! Constant promise of anpay risewhich never comes, and promotions without a pay rise! A company which has all the potential but shoot themselves in the foot at first changlce
19 February 2020
Was a good job but turned sour after a team leader not from our team started gunning for me. When it became an issue was brushed aside and my contract was terminated used an execuse I had a day off but had the day off because of the problem with the team leader was treated unfairly wish I never worked they has made insecure about future employment
I worked for SMS as an Operations Manager for about 8 months. Despite having outstanding feedback from the customer I was working with on behalf of SMS and having no prior warning or concerns raised to me, my employment was terminated at my probation review (2 weeks before Christmas!).

I feel I was treated absolutely appallingly and despite building the company’s reputation back up with the customer, my line manager said I was not doing my job. I have been in the industry for nearly 25 years and never been treated so badly.

Avoid like the Company like the plague!
19 February 2020
Managers have no formal management training so are amateurs at best and as such create a lot of problems in dealing with personnel. At SMS you are a resource, in much the same way a printer cartridge is a resource. There is a distinct lack of planning and support of staff and a blame culture.
19 February 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience, however we are disappointed to read your comments. As a current employee, we’d really like to discuss the concerns you’ve raised, please get in touch with the HR team via hrglasgow@sms-plc.com and we can support you with your concerns
Absolutely no organisation, the company is a absolute joke at best and they will lose all there decent contracts due to planning and losing there best engineers.

Honestly don’t apply and go through what me and all my colleagues went through. And got robbed £700 when I left.
I have never worked for such a shambolic company in my life. They don’t care about you needing to get home on time and will make you work over until everything is completed even though you’ve been working the best you can all day, missing breaks etc. Each day your job description changes, you’re micromanaged by senior members of staff who think they’re superior, they don’t care about health and safety regulations for the engineers and will just cram on as many jobs as they can. They promise suppliers that they’ll hit targets that just simply aren’t possible, therefore everyday you are having to ring customers and disappoint them over and over again. Constantly dismissing people over minor issues rather than helping, don’t get any extra credit for working harder and overall the company will more than likely go bust soon as they keep giving empty promises and everyone is leaving. This is the same across board, not just this office.
Sms is a good company but is not perfect overall, few small issues to contend with but better than a fair few smart meter installation companys. Ive worked at worse places