Smile Direct Club Employee Reviews

It Was A Good Job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TN11 December 2019
I Loved Working At Smile Direct It Was A Good Job. The Only Reason I Had To Leave Was Because I Was Hurt On The Job. Other Than That Incident The Job Was Great Overall
The most terrible place to work ever!
Aligner Tech (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TN11 December 2019
The most terrible place to work ever! They don't practice what they preach. There is no sense of security while working on site. Management is terrible and don't care about their employees security and
Hopeless management, unpaid overtime, horrible environment
smile guide (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 December 2019
I've worked in some stressful jobs but this was ridiculous, they tell you that you'll have the opportunity to be seeing your own patients etc but really you have absolutely no freedom. You're made to film your appointments then whoever the manager is (ours had no dental experience and honestly he couldn't even make a roster) will bring you into their office and scrutinise everything about it.

The company has no ethics and is just money hungry, I was told off for recommending someone see their dentist when I could see severe oral health issues which caused a "no fast track" (one of their ridiculous ways of saying you didn't get a sale).
I worked 60 hours in the first week of opening and was rewarded with a $30 gift card... I drove to different locations which were over an hour away to help train new employees but was conveniently let go just before my 6 month probation period was over, the reason being "our ethics didn't align" all though I'd previously had a meeting with the manager a day before to chat about why my "fast track rate" had dropped.

At the end of the day your just a number to this company and if you're not making enough sales they won't hesitate to fire you.
Run!
Smile guide (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WA5 December 2019
Worst job experience ever. You are truly a sales person with expectations to sell their product or you are fired! In order to do well you need to lie to your customer and chest your numbers to look good. You are completely expendable to this company. It’s a revolving door of people with no respect or care for you. The co-CEO’s are money hungry and the dad of the one runs the company. They tear apart employees in their “syncs and are the rudest people ever.
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback and we want all of our team members to enjoy working at SmileDirectClub. We are committed to creating a culture of feedback and would welcome any recommendations that you may have on how we can continue to improve. Please feel free to send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Awful
Worker (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TN4 December 2019
I don’t look forward to coming here, there is NO parking. The bathrooms are absolutely disgusting. There’s not enough room for everyone during breaks, not enough microwaves/refrigerators. Everyone is so rude and loud and acts ridiculous.
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We want all of our team members to enjoy working at SmileDirectClub. We have recently made some improvements to our locations and strive to create a fun atmosphere. If you have any other feedback, please feel free to send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

It’s all good in the beginning
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NC30 November 2019
I wouldn’t recommend this job to any one! It’s not a Dental assistant job it’s based on numbers and sales! If you don’t meet a certain number you won’t get any hours. This job doesn’t care about the people that work for the company. Their moto it is what it is and you can deal with it or not. I learned so much from being apart of this company . The one thing it helped me do was grow as a person ! Learn that money is not everything’s Nd that you DINT HAVE TO SETTLE FOR ANYTHING OR ANYONE
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We strive to make all of our job descriptions as clear as possible and hope our hiring process provides clarity as well. We would welcome any ideas you may have on how we can continue to improve. Please feel free to send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Horrible job
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL27 November 2019
Management only cares about sells and company only cares about making money for them. Company is all about who is top performer and not about changing people smiles in
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We want all of our team members to feel supported and developed by leadership. We will be providing ongoing leadership training in 2020. If you have any other feedback on how we can continue to improve, please send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Lab Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TN27 November 2019
terrible management, felt overworked majority of the time but everything else was fine. it kind of felt like there was no freedom to fo anything and they never understand family issues.
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are concerned to learn how you felt about leadership. Please send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com so that we can collect feedback.

Asm
Smileshop Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK26 November 2019
The job overall is good and a lot or manager want you to succeed but they are all about numbers and if you don’t reach their goal you have to worry about being fired but as long as you can reach your number then you can succeed in this company and as Long as you get the right manager I was out with differnt managers and some good but some super rude and not very workable I often hating going into work just to be humiliated by my boss!
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed the role and are concerned to hear your thoughts on leadership. Please send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com so that we can collect your feedback.

very bad to work mostly people are unhappy after they start work.
Smile guide (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA26 November 2019
have a very bad experience working with smiledirectclub,i have seen mostly people are crying,fighting,disrespect with each other,managers are so rude.. people get anxiety working with smiledirectclub. no rules are followed. so many people join but left because of nasty policy of the company. if your family member has cancer and going to treatment you have to provide the paperwork and doctors note about why you come late to the work.the place is worst than military environment.no freedom for anything. every week they call you in private room and they make you watch your own record videos with manager.manager start talking about all negatives about you. by the way there is no positives at all about you.
lot of to say. in short be careful before you wok for this company.
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We want all of our team members to enjoy working at SDC. As we are a development focused culture, we provide coaching to team members to help them learn and grow and reach their career aspirations. Please reach out to your People and Organization Business Partner so that we can discuss your feedback together. You can also send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Great work place
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN26 November 2019
As a quality Inspector my role was very important. I'm the last on the line to touch the product which means I was responsible for what was being shipped out. The quality of the product is very important and all must be checked before shipment.
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate your commitment to our customers and couldn't spread smiles without you. All the smiles!

Sales and not orthodontics beware
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  USA23 November 2019
I have worked here they always want more sales. I have bonus and they give you $5 for making 73 percent of your goal. You have to go over your sales daily. They are more concerned with selling and making money for the company then doing correct orthodontics or giving employee benefits. The manager will schedule you at 30 hours not 32 so you don't get full time benefits. They care more about making money then taking care of the employees.
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We want all of our team members to feel valued and supported. We are excited for our improved team member benefits in 2020 and encourage all of our team members to have a focus on development. If you have any more feedback or ideas on how we can continue to improve, please send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

fast paced, stressful, but fun
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CA21 November 2019
every day work life was simple after getting the hang of it, have to be able to communicate well with people, hardest part of the job was to get used to being a sales associate and a dental assistant at the same time.
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate your feedback. All the smiles!

Not worth your time
LEAD SALES REP (SMILE GUIDE) - DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO OFFICE (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA19 November 2019
Company hires dental assistants for a sales roles and then does not compensate them for it. The only opportunity for bonus is contingent on a minimum 73% conversion expectation which is much too high for their B2C sales model. Plus if that is reached the bonus structure is $5 per sale made 73%-77% and $10 per sale made for those above 78% and even at full bonus, you made less than .5 percent per sale made which is extremely low, they are just taking advantage of dental assistants who don’t know any better. They also preach that they have ethical sales techniques, but in reality they rely on pressure sales techniques and specifically seeking out a potential customers emotional why to prey on and force the sale. When they hire, they say that numbers don’t matter and the focus is all on customer experience and then they track you’re numbers 4 times per day. Overall, terrible experience working for a company as mismanaged and untruthful as SmileDirectClub
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. As one of our key truths is to think like a customer, we take every customer and team member's experience to heart. Please reach out to your People and Organization Business Partner or you can send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com so that we can discuss your feedback together.

Decent place overall
Smile Guide (Current Employee) –  South Bend, IN19 November 2019
Some of the management staff is not the best at responding. Leave your questions in answered and cut hours without getting a heads up . Love the opportunity to travel and meet new people . Has a good purpose behind the cause but focus too much in the sell.
9 December 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate the feedback and couldn't spread smiles without you. Best of smiles!

Overall good experience, in need of improvement
SmileShop Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL15 November 2019
Pros -
Great work/life balance.
The work is simple, and most peers are easy to get along with.
We're changing people's lives, daily.
PTO accrual and use is pretty forgiving.
The job itself pays pretty well.

Cons -
Key performance indicators are poorly prioritized, and company approach to managing KPI growth is myopic.
Rapid company growth has created an echo chamber of limited ideas and weekly calls offer redundant commentary which makes it hard to stay engaged.
With the rapid rate of expansion, opportunity to suggest changes seem to fall to the wayside.
There are too many mid to senior managers that seem less than qualified to effectively grow future talent while also being technologically inept when it comes to computer applications.

Advice to Management -
Team members and shareholders alike would benefit from changes in KPIs, bonus structure, and our bottlenecked approach to appointments.

I would suggest we put focus groups together and discuss adjusting SmileGuide bonus structure in a way the would positively increase scans, enhance experiences for customers, and ultimately reduce the number of terminations due to integrity violations. After we dial in SmileGuide bonus structure we can shift focus to Shop Manager bonus structure. We could also greatly benefit by moving our results focus to revenue instead of percentages.
17 November 2019

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. We want all our team members to feel supported and are always looking for ways to improve this. Our People & Organization team is available to meet and discuss any ideas or improvements that you may have. You can also send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

lots of growth opportunity possibly
RDA (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX9 November 2019
once this company went public, there were many changes, including the hours that have been cut back, the ability to meet sales goals is difficult when it's beyond your control, however, being the smile guide, you have to perform to a certain level, whether "the sale" happens or does not. Unfortunately, depending on when/where you work, and how big your shop is, dictates who your customer may be. Not everyone is a candidate, and not everyone can afford the product, due to all the "free promotions" this attracts many people that only want the "freebies", and, you do have to scan everyone, including those needing dental work, this does affect your numbers as there is only a narrow window of auditing the numbers, which makes it difficult to meet their criteria.
17 November 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are so happy to see that you have enjoyed the development and growth opportunities at SmileDirectClub. Please feel free to reach out to your People and Organization Business Partner if you have any additional feedback on how we can continue to improve. You can also send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Love it. Id go back if i could.
Smile guide (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CA5 November 2019
I learned a lot here especially if you're trying to dig into modern dental. Fun people. Room to grow. Management is great. Pay is great. They ask you to upsale but that's every job.
17 November 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We love seeing this.

Don’t bother working part time management is always changing
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Carolina1 November 2019
Don’t bother working part time you’ll always be the last ‘chair’ no bonuses and you’ll sit their all day and watch videos on an IPad to ‘improve’ yourself. My first manager was amazing then we got another and the rules totally changed and my bonuses ended and for me to even try to get a sale was unheard of. I don’t see smile direct lasting in business. To much change literally every week we had new ‘rules’ in the work place
17 November 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. As we believe better is better, we know that things will change quickly as we want to always be improving so that we can provide the best customer experience. We would welcome any additional feedback that you may have on how we can continue to improve our training's to support our team members. Please feel free to send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Horrible
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN31 October 2019
do not work here. you will not enjoy it. it's a terrible work environment, horrible communication. you are overworked and underpaid. if you're even two minutes late you get a 'point' and if you get 10 points you get a write up it was like I was in highschool.
17 November 2019

We appreciate you leaving us a review and are disheartened to hear that you feel that we do not care about our team members. We hope that our training's provide clarity for our workplace policies and would welcome any additional feedback that you may have on how we can continue to improve. Please feel free to send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smile Direct Club. Our community is ready to answer.