Smiggle UK

Smiggle UK Employee Reviews for Supervisor

I’ve been working as management for Smiggle for a year now and I couldn’t list any better job decision I could’ve made! My team & other teams around the region are so Friendly & Bubbly! , Progression is available always for people that want to grow and develop within our company. Smiggle is all about FUNky and Fun stuff so if your not that kind of person to like that, then the company wouldn’t be right for you.
Typical day, 100% STRESS they want you to do a weeks worth of work in one day and during that time you will be lone trading most the time.Pay is always wrong and payroll talk to you like dirt.Management talk to you like dirt and want you live and breath smiggle even want you to work through your breaks. I really don't recommend working for this company.
Pros
discount
Cons
Stress, low pay, lone trading, slavery, bullying
No progression, they constantly feed you lies that your going to get a full time contract or progression when your looking for more hours but when a job offer comes up and you apply they say your not good enough. Overall no work balance either, constantly expecting you to be some robot at work.
Pros
Ok pay & lone trading
Cons
No progression 😂
DO NOT WORK AT SMIGGLE. I lasted 2 years and hated getting out of bed just to go there and be ignored, belittled and verbally abused. If they can get away with not paying you, they'll do it. I can't remember the number of times my pay was short, always by £100 at least. The regional managers and visual merchandisers are the reason the company is in such a mess due to their lack of organisation and communication- then they have the nerve to look at you with sympathy and say "oh yes this company's not very good" and then they'll berate you for not keeping up. Once when I was in work just after I'd had a death in the family, my VM asked how I was and when I told her why I wouldn't be at my best that day, she just said "oh that's not ideal" and kept tapping away on her phone without even looking at me. When I made a suggestion about how to stack some items on the shelf it was branded as pointless but when the managers from head office were in they did it themselves and passed it off as their idea. They were there to help us organise our stockroom- all they did was put some bottles on shelves and then go off for a 2 hour lunch whilst complaining that they didn't get enough money on their company cards. They left their snack wrappings and rubbish strewn across the stockroom floor. These people will only play ball with you if they like you. Professional procedure is ignored in favour of who is willing to brown nose them and suck up to them and throw in with their clique. On top of all this, you are expected to smile and welcome in the customers- rude, self-important - more...
Pros
relationship with sales assistants
Cons
everything
Working at Smiggle starts out as a promising exciting experience. It’s all a lie, the incentives are not real. The staff have a huge turnover, as everyone leaves due to a poor working environment. Higher Management (area managers etc) are awful. They expect a lot of work in a short space of time with no experience or help given. NO TRAINING. I was a supervisor, I had no training to be a manager and when they fired my manager I was expected to run shop for 3 months, I had no choice. You are expected to work on your days off regardless of any plans you have made. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE
If you're into getting your head well and truly screwed out every shift this is the place for you, with poor management, stressful deadlines and ridiculously unbelievable targets. Budget targets are often way out of reach for most stores and you're degraded everyday unless you hit them. You're expected to aggressively oversell to every customer that comes through the door, some people want to buy a pencil and you're expected to try and sell them a £37 backpack. Management is the worst, they do not care about you, just the figures.
Supervisor fired because CSA's didn't like him. Talked to manager behind his back, manager confronted supervisor with immediate firing. No explanation of what was said. No chance to defend himself. One of the worst companies in retail, just behind Moto Hospitality
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Staff
This company won't last long. Turnover of staff is very high, which says everything. Little support, little training. Constantly changing layouts and what needs to be done. You'll be expected to travel to other stores as well, even if it takes many hours. They'll plan offers for you to set up for, then change last minute. If you're a sales advisor, you'll be on 3/4 hour shifts. Supervisor and above, you'll have hours and shifts changing all the time. Also be alone for many hours of the day. No staff room, no toilets in a lot of places as well. Probation actually lasts a year, so no job security, not that people stay that long... Seriously avoid.
Pros
Progression, due to people leaving
Cons
Badly ran, poor work /life balance, overworked, no support .
I could write a 10,0000 dissertation on how disgusting and poor this company is. So many promo’s changing all the time, so much pressure. Brief change every 2 weeks, only get paid 1 hour after work to do it. They expect you to stay after work to do changes as if you don’t have a life outside of smiggle. Products falling over every 5 seconds. Customers returning items everyday. Higher management is so disgusting, treating staffs very poor. No appreciation when we get jobs done, only reply when we beat budget. VM’s needs to calm down as they think they’re so superior. No security cameras in store. Could get stabbed but they will get ask whether we beat budget or not first. Company does not care about a single thing apart from MONEY. Staffs are so overworked and can’t even rest or talk. They think we are superhumans. I hope everybody leaves the company at the same time.
Pros
50% discount, great team
Cons
No overtime paid, understaff, long hours, pressure
A decent enough company to work for, has its ups & downs as all retail business do!, depending on which branch and who you are working under. Seems to have a high turnover of staff though, but I haven't quite gotten to the why yet. The general business motto is great, supposed to be like a family fun environment and it can be, but it can also forget that motto at times when they are pushing for sales figures and focusing on performance above all else and how much the store brings in. Sometimes the spirit level slips between the two. It can have its fun days, but it can also be very stressful. The company expects a lot from its staff, especially with it being incredibly corporate with its paperwork and figures, ie tracking absolutely everything that goes on within a day in each store, even down to each hour!. There are frequent LP reviews on each store and it doesn't take much at all to drop a tier or more, we are only human after all. The progression is there though if you want it, lots of basic training, nothing in depth really, they give you a good basic skill set but you do have to do a lot of finding out on your own how to do things within the position at times as there is a lack of backup and support at times. Overall a good company to work for if you can avoid all the extra 'extra' work that you dont get paid for after the shop shuts at the end of the day.
Pros
Good company motto, my staff are amazing & good basic pay.
Cons
Unpaid lunch, lack of support/decent training/too corporate at times.
7hrs training, handed keys and left to run the shop for a week. Absolutely lacklustre. Management do not care for you. Too much is asked of you. Lone trade for most of the day. No CCTV, no security, told not to intervene with anyone stealing, but you'll get penalised for stock loss. Need to use the toilet during your shift? You'll have to close the store and go find some toilets. Then get a phonecall from a higher-up because someone's complained that you've been shut for 5 minutes. A sensory overload of a store, with overpriced tat to sell. If you love to be loud, hassle customers with FIFTEEN SECONDS of them entering the store (no joke, that's what's in the little 'training' booklet), and really really love feeling frantic all the time, then this is the place for you.
Pros
Alright pay
Cons
Everything else
Such a fun and exciting up and coming brand to work for. So many employee benefits. The overall technical structure could be vastly improved in terms of communications from top to bottom and systems put in place seem either backward or outdated for the UK. Management is great and the company is very positive.
I only worked here for 2 months but within that time I found the company amazing. There are fun, reliable staff, great benefits and amazing support...
Your manager and team care about you and the work you do, but Head Office and the powers that be couldn't care less whether you stay or go! 'oh well, bye bye, everyone is replaceable' is their default mode. Sadly this attitude casts the darkest shadow over every single shop
Pros
50% off 15 products per month
Cons
Unappreciated
As a supervisor this was a fun place to work and learn skills. A small team, room for growth within company as they prefer to employ internally. Good communication throughout the regional stores with opportunities to progress and be involved in store set ups etc. Range of activities from customer service to merchandising. The training is very hands on, thrown in to learn on the job which may not suit everyone. The company is increasingly popular so the store gets very busy, predominantly kids and families, lots of stock to maintain so could be chaotic at times but always something to do. Very colorful, fun exciting company with very bright lighting, have to be enthusiastic and outgoing to work here. Hours can be inconsistent, with general 4 hour contracts for Sales Assistants, but subject to store and management.
Pros
50% employee discount, Fun team, Always busy, Lots of stock
Cons
Bright lighting, Lone trading
No day is they same; the company uphold a special and dedicated relationship with their customers. This pushes your role at Smiggle from retail to a service. They encourage you to get stuck in and have fun, so you'll never be bored and you'll always know what the products do!
Pros
Channel your inner child