Smiggle UK

Smiggle UK Employee Reviews for Store Manager

If you want a job where you’re working on your own 80% of the time, asked to constantly VM change & get penalised when people steal BECAUSE YOURE ALWAYS ALONE, then this is the job for you! Constantly saving hours so you’re loan trading a lot, I used to have someone with me for 3 hours of an 9.5 hour day, an hour of that was my dinner. So getting tasks done was near impossible, cause you had to grab stuff from the back & couldnt most of the time. Not the mention MOST STORES DONT HAVE A KITCHEN OR THEIR OWN TOILET!! You have to use the centres, all about money saving.
Starts off okay then quickly you realise... No progression opportunity - they want to keep you where you are No voice - no creative freedom or expression of opinion Too many operational tasks and not enough time for admin or actual managerial tasks Feel like a glorified Sales Assistant Expectations vs Reality is a joke Bonuses and Incentives completely out of reach and unrealistic No respect for long standing tenure Regional Mangers clueless about business and how each store work No respect for wellbeing,you can work without a day off for weeks
Regional manager was dreadful power hungry who looked down on anyone who didn’t embrace her vegan tree hugging values in life and criticised me just for wearing makeup
A typical day at work starts with parents and kids flooding the place and checking out all our wonderful products. I learned loads about adjusting customer service approaches and making shopping fun for various groups of people. Management is amazing and super helpful both on and off the shop floor. The workplace culture is high energy and fun. The hardest part is to stay on top of work and play on the shop floor. The most enjoyable part is having customers come back and express their appreciation of our customer service and reviews of the products they purchased.
Lots of talk about support and collaboration but all one sided. Don’t practice what they preach. Too many chiefs giving conflicting direction makes it stressful. Not a nice place to work No respectful environment. Payroll nightmare. Lots of loan trading Unsafe workplace
Smiggle, for the first year of my role was a fantastic job with opportunities thrown at me. However, upper management only care about profit, and making money. They have increasingly shown that over the years they care less and less about their staffs well-being and welfare. The job in itself is so fun and rewarding, especially knowing you have made every child that has come into store, as happy as possible. You light up those children and it makes it feel really worthwhile. This isn't an easy job. You have to constantly change over the layout of the store to keep up to date with all of the new product, but whilst doing this you're most likely lone trading for 4-6/9 hours of the working day. Meaning you cant actually get anything done due to being unable to get the stock you need. There's also alot of unpaid extra hours that you put in with nothing in return. Staff don't want to stay working for you as hours are always being cut (which i personally think is completely understandable, who wants to work 4 or even less hours a week) And often our staff are college aged, meaning there's not much availability. As long as you have a good team behind you, then its not the worst job in the world. But expect to work a lot of unpaid hours, with a salary that's under the national average.
Pros
5 weeks holiday, hour lunch break, other store managers are helpful and kind.
Cons
long unpaid hours, no sick pay, working xmas eve, boxing day and new years day
Loan trade a lot of the day Work load is massive and a lot for one person wen you have to do table changes, bay changes,serve customers, delivery’s Customers moan if to be fair you can’t get something out the stockroom so you lose a sale but then your moaned at wen figured n kpi are down Delivery’s stock sent in that you don’t need but stock you do need doesn’t get replened so head office or warehouse staff clearly not worked in a shop before. Regional manager is rude
Pros
Salary not bad
Cons
Work load massive
Always loads to do from customer service to VM thought out the day and weeks. Hardest part is running the store with next to no staff due to cut backs but the work load is more.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
big work loads
fun and exciting place to work, can be exhausting as a lot is expected of you. great opportunity for progression and management are very approachable
If you enjoy your own company and lone trading for hours on end this is the job for you it's very fast paced and very draining same thing day in day out. Your area manager will reduce your staff hours and try to make you save money all the time my advice would be stay clear of this company they are growing far too fast and haven't a clue what they are doing as for great benefits there is none......
Pros
Home time
Cons
Too many to mention
Never have I hated getting up and going to work each day untill I joined this company ! The higher management treat you with such dissrespect and have no clue about manners . There are never any salary reviews as the advert states and as for progress, it's kinda if your face fits and your a yes person then you'll go far !!! Shocking place to work don't do it !
Pros
Cons
Too many
There is lots of empty promises such as development and annual salary reviews that never happen Lots of lone trading No appreciation for going the extra mile for customers or business No support from head office or senior management team Lack of engagement Rotas and hourse charging constantly Constant need of going to work in other stores due to lack of staff No life work balance No basic benefits such as sick pay or pension contributions The only positive thing about this company is pay and store based teams
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lack of development or work life balance
Previous store manager! Lovely customers, fun products, lovely team. My management regionals etc appalling, rude, don't say please or thank you. Expect WAY to much for very little if any recognition. Crazy amount of procedures and processes. its stationary guys come on!! No proper training but then if you don't magically know everything, they come down on you loads and DO NOT help or coach you
Pros
Good salary, lively
Cons
upper management
If I could give 0 I would this is the worst company I have every worked for. I am currently seeking a new job as I hate the whole company. It is a total joke. Smiggle a smile and giggle after two months you will not be smiling or giggling as they work you into the ground. You get no thanks or acknowledgment from your area manager or above for achieving targets nothing a big fat 0. As for head office, area management and above no idea what they are doing so ever trained monkeys could run this company better at least then you might smile and giggle. Personal matters like a death in the family or something more serious is just laughed off. I NEED OUT AND WOULD TELL PEOPLE TO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY AS THEY DONT LOOK AFTER THEIR STAFF AT ALL THEY JUST EXCEPT TO MUCH FROM ALL STAFF MANAGERS DOWN TO 4HOUR STAFF. THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR AND I AM NOT ALONE. IF YOU LOVE BROWN NOSING AND YOUR A YES PERSON YOU WILL FIT RIGHT IN AS THAT IS WHAT SMIGGLE WANT NO ONE TO QUESTION OR HAVE A VOICE. IF YOU DO THEN YOUR PUSHED ASIDE FOR MORE BROWN NOSERS DO NOT WORK FOR SMIGGLE YOU WILL SLOW DIE INSIDE. STORES DONT HAVE REST AREAS, NO TABLE, NO FRIDGE, NO MIRCOWAVE, NO LOCKERS NOTHING. I was told by my area manager to warm my food up in another store!!! Plus I was told by them to stack boxes up for a table!!! This is all real and true. I could go on and on there is nothing good about this company not one thing.
Pros
Not 1 pro's unless your Brown noser and like to be part of a click
Cons
Area managers are as useless as a chocolate teapot and head office and ceo have no idea.
Worked for the company for a year and the goal posts changed every week. Schedules were changed constantly as the bosses in London cut payroll. So had to work up to 6 hours a day on my own. Very little support from HO as they all so busy opening new stores. There are some lovely people in HO but never have time for us. No pension plan at all or bonuses except for store manager. Pay not bad for sales associates. Customers are 100% the best part of working for Smiggle the kids are so passionate and love the product. It's very colourful but to much is expected with all the lone working and not enough support.
Pros
Lovely customers
Cons
Lone working all day.
I've been with Smiggle (UK) for a year and a half and it's a great place to work with lots of progression and promotion opportunities. There are new stores opening all the time and you can join in on the set-up days which are hard work but also very fun. The senior retail teams are all nice people but they can be very busy so do not always have as much time as they want to spend with you in stores but they will visit as often as they can. The shops are colourful and vibrant and are always busy on weekends and school holidays with young children and their families coming to visit.
Pros
50% off discount
Cons
Can get really busy!
I've been with Smiggle (UK) for a year and a half and it's a great place to work with lots of progression and promotion opportunities. There are new stores opening all the time and you can join in on the set-up days which are hard work but also very fun. The senior retail teams are all nice people but they can be very busy so do not always have as much time as they want to spend with your stores but they will visit as often as they can. The shops are colourful and vibrant and are always busy on weekends and school holidays with young children and their families coming to visit.
Pros
Opportunities, promotions, attractive pay
Cons
Can be long hours if your stores are short staffed