Smiggle UK

Smiggle UK Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Sales Assistant47 reviews
United Kingdom47 reviews
Actual store manager was good, but head office do not want to know and set impossible targets. They also use so much unnecessary plastic packaging in their deliveries and generally only offer small contracts.
Pros
Good student job
Cons
Head office show little respect for their staff
I loved my job at Smiggle as it was a great first job for a sixteen year old but they only offer four hour contracts which means that making money isnt the easiest unless its september or december.
This job is very non-stop, You are always doing something and most of the time you are very busy. I love this job as you are constantly moving about all day and kept busy. All staff that I have worked with are lovely and amazing. The customers are always lovely as well.
Very good experience for people starting out or looking to work in retail, everyone's very passionate, sadly don't promote higher positions unless you find the imfomation out yourself, as I would have love to do visual merchandising.
Also sustainability was disappointing for such a big company staff constantly mention this even bosses and area mangers but nothings ever done about it.

everyone's smiley and happy!

Pros

Always find something to do

Interactions with customers asking about there day recommending products.

Amazing work colleagues.

50% discount!

Cons

Not sustainable

lighting bright gives you headaches
Expected to ridiculous amount of work therefore going over normal shift hours without being paid overtime. The job isn't clear and not enough training is provided.
It was a fun, challenging environment filled with hard-working individuals. It was like being part of a family, we looked out for one another. The management was amazing.
No good as a job, £6 an hour and hours are fee and far between, no sense of security at work, management is constantly trying to fund ways to make more money t the expense of everyone, items so overpriced it’d embarrassing to have to tell costumers
the work is okay the manager is okay too but it wasnt right for me im looking for something that is ore me and I didn't really fit in there and when the assistant store manager left it wasn't the same to work there anymore.
A typical day at work is always bubbly and everyone gets along. The staff are friendly to all customers and always have a smile on their faces, Smiggle is always a happy place and everyone who comes in store are always happy.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Smiggle UK?
Never a dull day, interesting fun products and interacting with kids all day will bring a smile to your face. they are a very customer focused brand. contracts are very basic with hours, expected to work above base hours so ideally you should be flexible. must enjoy loud music and bright lights to work here
I enjoyed doing work experience at WHSmiths as they taught me a lot of new things such as; how to use a pricing gun, how to change the Mother’s Day card to Easter cards, that was a little hard as you had to make sure all cards was in the correct place. I also had to make sure there was no gaps.
I worked on the delivery which I found hard as you had to use a scanner and scan the delivery things and then it would say “bay 4, line 3” and it was hard to try and work out which bay was which.
Pros
Enjoyable
Cons
Short hours
was good hourly paid but had only 1 day a week. they acted like this was my 5th retail job and that i had been doing it for 10 years when in reality this was my first ever retail job and i had only been doing it for 2 weeks

The hours were constantly taken away from people and given to management. I was on an 8 hour contract with a verbal guarantee that I would be able to get quite a few more hours on top, which was reinforced multiple times during the training period.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Not enough hours
My typical day at work is serving customers and helping out with stock take. The most enjoyable part of the job is making customers happy with what they have been looking for.
Pros
helping customers out
Cons
low on stock
First off it took them a month to get me into the role because HQ messed my application up, so that a sign that they're clearly a bit lacking up there.

Quite a high turnover of staff due to how shocking the place is really, had a few new started during my time there who left within 2 weeks. The second someone walks in the shop you have to be straight on them "Hiya guys, who are you shopping for today?" Which make both of you extremely uncomfortable, and god help you if the customer doesn't want to talk to you because then that's YOUR problem and YOUR in the wrong. Honestly it's one of the only shops I have been to other than showrooms that actively try their best to sell the customer overpriced plastic items that break constantly when they don't even need those items. "Oh you came in for a backpack?! Oh you definitely need the WHOLE set for £75 including a 5 for £5 on stationary because you don't want to be a terrible parent and deprive your Child of overpriced popular junk. Also here's an awful lamp that will break in 3 days and that isn't even bright for an extra £28" (seriously wish that was an overstatement.)

Regional manager has his favourites and if you're not one of them then you may as well toughen yourself up cause you're in for a constant talking to. Also you can't take your time to do your job right because they expect you run out with about 3 IKEA bags worth of replen in 5 minutes and have the store all clean and replened within 10 minutes, while talking to and serving customers and doing delivery on the shop floor.

The assistant manager constantly gets
 - more...
Pros
50% discount on full price items
Cons
See above
The whole 'Smile with a giggle' is false representation. The environment is based on the concept of fake happiness.

The customers constantly complain about overpriced products which while you agree completely, you have to smile and apologise.

The management (especially regional manager) would always push you to be too friendly to the point where it would make customers uncomfortable and they would leave, then the management would complain that you couldn't get a sale out of them.

Almost every shift I worked the staff was pressured by management into buying a few small products so we could meet our daily sales target, which means that the better than minimum wage we got was being given right back to the company.

The only benefits you actually have are:

- a discount on overpriced stock, which makes it barely affordable

- a wage higher than the national living wage
Pros
Not minimum wage
Cons
Bad hours, management and environment.
My team are like my second family, we all get a little competitive to meet set targets and goals but it’s this that makes it so enjoyable! Management are brilliant and very supportive!
Pros
Brilliant working environment
Cons
Low contracted hours
The staff here are fantastic, they make me enjoy work and we all get on so well and I wouldn't change them for the world. We get to play with the toys and give the customers abit of entertainment.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Not enough hours for me too work.
Let me start by saying that the Store Assistants, Mangers and the current South London Area Manger are lovely people. They've all been nice to me and is purely why there's a second star. This is probably a great place to work for a month or so, but no longer than that.

Worker turnover is something ridiculous like 3 a month. I've been working for the company since the end of August and in my own store I've remained the only constant employee, and that's just for my own store. A 12 hour part-time contract will quickly become a 30-40 hour work week as Smiggle simply do not have the staff to cover each store.

Because the staff turnover is so high, not a lot of the employees working aren't trained in all the day-to-day runnings of the store (i.e cashing up, banking, processing delivery, opening and closing). This means the more experienced workers are forced to work more regardless of their contracted hours until new employees are up to speed, and that can take from 2 weeks to 2 months.

The layout of the store also changed every 2-3 weeks as new briefs get sent in with the new deals going. So once you've set up and settled to the new layout, everything has to be moved around and re-organised again. This isn't such a problem with bigger stores with on-site stockrooms, but in stores with off-site storage it quickly becomes arduous. Requesting smaller delivery sizes might be flat out ignored or take up to a month to action, but then you'll end up back to your original delivery size within a week.

Though management that actually interact with you are nice, the higher ups
 - more...
Pros
The people in store are great, consistency in requirements. Fun for a short stint
Cons
Forced into longer hours, repulsive store aesthetic, inattentive uppermangment that don't care about YOU as an individual
It is a relaxed environment that can also be quite stressful due to floods of children and parents all asking for help. However there are perks to the job such as using the items you sell and getting a discount on them so you can get the products for your children.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lots of children
working at Smiggle was very stressful because the staff would put a lot of pressure on you although you are just a sales assistant. You are expected to do too many things in one day and a lot of the times are understaffed