Smiggle UK

Smiggle UK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom128 reviews
Lone working, constant vm changes
If you want a job where you’re working on your own 80% of the time, asked to constantly VM change & get penalised when people steal BECAUSE YOURE ALWAYS ALONE, then this is the job for you! Constantly saving hours so you’re loan trading a lot, I used to have someone with me for 3 hours of an 9.5 hour day, an hour of that was my dinner. So getting tasks done was near impossible, cause you had to grab stuff from the back & couldnt most of the time. Not the mention MOST STORES DONT HAVE A KITCHEN OR THEIR OWN TOILET!! You have to use the centres, all about money saving.
Regional manager was dreadful
Regional manager was dreadful power hungry who looked down on anyone who didn’t embrace her vegan tree hugging values in life and criticised me just for wearing makeup
A productive and interesting workplace.
I find working at Smiggle enjoyable, the staff are all incredibly lovely. There is a nice culture of learning, you don't have to worry about not knowing something or doing something wrong because management are always willing to help you in some way. There is regular tracking and Performance Reviews which make improving and advancing easier. As long as you love talking to people, and you don't mind a fast paced, detail oriented environment, Smiggle is an easy place to work. The management can often work around schedules quite easily as long as you tell them with some advance notice, so that's a definite positive.
Pros
Staff Discount, Good Rotas, Lovely Environment
Cons
None really!
Stressful
Worst 3 years of my life, instore teams were lovely and I loved the customers and could do the job well. But was constantly badgered on days off from regional manager and barely got days off. Minimal support when short staffed often lone trading all day. Awful company spent too much on expanding too quickly and now are paying for it. Mark up was extortionate on poor quality products which often were returned or exchanged. I would never go back or suggest anyone to work here. After 3 years of management I didn’t even get a thank you on my last day. Appalling.
My First Job!
Smiggle holds a special place in my heart as it was my first job as a sales advisor, I moved up to become a person-in-charge (supervisor) which I loved every minute of with my kind and supportive team. This role taught me so much about retail and visual merchandising and I am so thankful that my fantastic manager saw potential in me. There are lots of opportunities to work your way up in this company and to cover for different stores which allows you to get a flavour of how things are done with different teams! I really miss the fun times I had working at Smiggle!
Amazing !!
I’ve been working as management for Smiggle for a year now and I couldn’t list any better job decision I could’ve made! My team & other teams around the region are so Friendly & Bubbly! , Progression is available always for people that want to grow and develop within our company. Smiggle is all about FUNky and Fun stuff so if your not that kind of person to like that, then the company wouldn’t be right for you.
Fun and busy workplace
I was only a Christmas temp but it was a great experience overall. You'd go in and be given a zone to patrol/ maintain for the shift. it was quite easy-going even when it was busy.
Great atmosphere, even when busy
During my time at Smiggle I never had a boring shift and it was never too much for me to handle. The staff were lovely and I picked up product and store knowledge within two or three shifts. Customers were rarely impatient with me and I had an overall lovely time.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Smiggle UK?
Do not work here
I could write an entire novel on how awful this company is to work for, and probably make more money than I get working for them! From working well above your contracted hours with little to no reward (40+ hrs a week despite only being a PIC contracted at 16hrs) and being laughed at/ridiculed should you point this out, to the blatant disrespect and rudeness from head office who treat you like actual trash, spy on you to make sure you're doing your job properly yet always manage to find fault with anything you do because all they care about is making money and opening stores. It's not worth a foot in the door, especially as you're selling overpriced, poor quality stationery to rich, rude and aggressive customers who are always right- they could stab you in the chest and you'd still have to apologise and give them a gift card for the grief.

Perhaps the only positive is the team in that store, everyone is super lovely and supportive of each other (mainly because you're all in the same boat of being treated like trash)

Seriously. This is the worst job. Not worth a second of your time. Theres no smiles and giggles here at Smigghell
The most physically and mentally draining job I have ever worked in
DO NOT WORK AT SMIGGLE. I lasted 2 years and hated getting out of bed just to go there and be ignored, belittled and verbally abused. If they can get away with not paying you, they'll do it. I can't remember the number of times my pay was short, always by £100 at least.
The regional managers and visual merchandisers are the reason the company is in such a mess due to their lack of organisation and communication- then they have the nerve to look at you with sympathy and say "oh yes this company's not very good" and then they'll berate you for not keeping up.

Once when I was in work just after I'd had a death in the family, my VM asked how I was and when I told her why I wouldn't be at my best that day, she just said "oh that's not ideal" and kept tapping away on her phone without even looking at me.

When I made a suggestion about how to stack some items on the shelf it was branded as pointless but when the managers from head office were in they did it themselves and passed it off as their idea. They were there to help us organise our stockroom- all they did was put some bottles on shelves and then go off for a 2 hour lunch whilst complaining that they didn't get enough money on their company cards. They left their snack wrappings and rubbish strewn across the stockroom floor.

These people will only play ball with you if they like you. Professional procedure is ignored in favour of who is willing to brown nose them and suck up to them and throw in with their clique.

On top of all this, you are expected to smile and welcome in the customers- rude, self-important
 - more...
Pros
relationship with sales assistants
Cons
everything
Awful company
Literally sucks all the joy and happiness out of you. Workload is set by people who have no idea how long things take to get done, leaving you with an impossible workload. For your mental well-being please don't work here.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Cant take holidays from mid november-mid january or half term/bank holidays, Impossible workload that you need to prove youve done by sending pictures, You end up staying back/coming in early to get jobs done, Have to constantly bother customers which is awkward for everyone, Understaffed and have to lone trade, Constantly cutting hours to the point you physically cant get stuff done.
Amazing
This job is very non-stop, You are always doing something and most of the time you are very busy. I love this job as you are constantly moving about all day and kept busy. All staff that I have worked with are lovely and amazing. The customers are always lovely as well.
Not worth your time or commitment - management are rude and unprofessional
Working at Smiggle starts out as a promising exciting experience. It’s all a lie, the incentives are not real. The staff have a huge turnover, as everyone leaves due to a poor working environment. Higher Management (area managers etc) are awful. They expect a lot of work in a short space of time with no experience or help given. NO TRAINING. I was a supervisor, I had no training to be a manager and when they fired my manager I was expected to run shop for 3 months, I had no choice. You are expected to work on your days off regardless of any plans you have made. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE
Great first job
Very good experience for people starting out or looking to work in retail, everyone's very passionate, sadly don't promote higher positions unless you find the imfomation out yourself, as I would have love to do visual merchandising.
Also sustainability was disappointing for such a big company staff constantly mention this even bosses and area mangers but nothings ever done about it.

everyone's smiley and happy!

Pros

Always find something to do

Interactions with customers asking about there day recommending products.

Amazing work colleagues.

50% discount!

Cons

Not sustainable

lighting bright gives you headaches
Working environment
A good place to work for if you want a part time job. Its a zero hour contract but will always have work, everyone is friendly and approachable, management is very helpful if you get stuck with anything
Bad Management
Expected to ridiculous amount of work therefore going over normal shift hours without being paid overtime. The job isn't clear and not enough training is provided.
Great job!
Fun if you love children and like working in a busy shop, Smiggle is for you! Busy busy busy.

Great team and managers at Smiggle Norwich! Loved working there x
Don’t do it.
I applied for a 20hr job at smiggle which was then pushed to a 0hr temporary contract. 4 of us started on the same day 3 of us on 0 hour 1 on 8 hour. The one on an 8 hour gets close to 30 hour weeks however us 0 hour who applied for 8-20 hour get 0-19 hours a week. Management is shocking regional manager is rude and condescending manager is the same. If you don’t reach far fetched atv and store targets that’s your problem. You have to be in peoples faces 24/7 and Iif they don’t want to talk to you that’s your fault and you get the blame. Awful hours managers and supervisors hard to be around besides the assistant manager.
Fun and busy
Working on the shop floor in Smiggle is fun and fast-paced. The majority of the customers are parents and children so it requires a lot of energy. It is important to be friendly and knowledgeable about the products.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
Quite physical work
Hit and miss
Pressure to have everything perfect in store all times, not enough time to complete all tasking and if not sent evidence of tasks completed text messages via WhatsApp group are constantly sent. Multiple times I’ve stayed after my shift to complete tasks unpaid isn’t good. However staff are cheerful but often I’ve had to lone trade within the store and can’t take holidays between “blackout periods” aka summer hols / Christmas.
Colourful and Bright
A typical day at work starts with parents and kids flooding the place and checking out all our wonderful products. I learned loads about adjusting customer service approaches and making shopping fun for various groups of people. Management is amazing and super helpful both on and off the shop floor. The workplace culture is high energy and fun. The hardest part is to stay on top of work and play on the shop floor. The most enjoyable part is having customers come back and express their appreciation of our customer service and reviews of the products they purchased.