Smiggle UK Employee Reviews

Great fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire14 April 2019
Smiggle is a really good place to work!
You are offered the chance to go and work in other stores to see how they work and gain more Smiggle experience.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whiteley, Hampshire26 January 2019
The staff here are fantastic, they make me enjoy work and we all get on so well and I wouldn't change them for the world. We get to play with the toys and give the customers abit of entertainment.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Not enough hours for me too work.
The definition of Sisyphus Syndrome
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London9 December 2018
Let me start by saying that the Store Assistants, Mangers and the current South London Area Manger are lovely people. They've all been nice to me and is purely why there's a second star. This is probably a great place to work for a month or so, but no longer than that.

Worker turnover is something ridiculous like 3 a month. I've been working for the company since the end of August and in my own store I've remained the only constant employee, and that's just for my own store. A 12 hour part-time contract will quickly become a 30-40 hour work week as Smiggle simply do not have the staff to cover each store.

Because the staff turnover is so high, not a lot of the employees working aren't trained in all the day-to-day runnings of the store (i.e cashing up, banking, processing delivery, opening and closing). This means the more experienced workers are forced to work more regardless of their contracted hours until new employees are up to speed, and that can take from 2 weeks to 2 months.

The layout of the store also changed every 2-3 weeks as new briefs get sent in with the new deals going. So once you've set up and settled to the new layout, everything has to be moved around and re-organised again. This isn't such a problem with bigger stores with on-site stockrooms, but in stores with off-site storage it quickly becomes arduous. Requesting smaller delivery sizes might be flat out ignored or take up to a month to action, but then you'll end up back to your original delivery size within a week.

Though management that actually interact with you are nice, the higher ups
  more... at head office don't seem to be listening to each individual stores needs; a smaller store will receive the same amount of stock in delivery as a bigger store who can handle and store more stock.

Smaller store assistants will often find themselves loan trading for long stretches of time and, if your store doesn't have toilet facilities or a break room, you'll find yourself having to close your store and face the inevitable angry customers when you get back.

Also the stores are just hard to work in due to their aesthetic and the mingling of all the scented products. The combination of white walls and bright vibrant reds, baby blues, purples, pinks, greens and other rainbowed and mixed colour schemes and the mandatory Smiggle radio becomes too much for most employees to work with and I often found myself either suffering mental exhaustion or sensory overload migraines. I've also had at least half of my customers complain about the aesthetic, thats not counting the people who just come straight in and then out again purely because they just can't stand it.

All in all, the people on the front lines are surprisingly lovely despite the amount they have to deal with. But with a head office and management who either don't seem to know or communicate or they just don't care about those running the stores. If you like hard but repetitive work in an environment that will cause sensory overload migraine then apply, but if not only apply if you're absolutely out of other options. It's not worth the just above minimum wage you'd get.
Pros
The people in store are great, consistency in requirements. Fun for a short stint
Cons
Forced into longer hours, repulsive store aesthetic, inattentive uppermangment that don't care about YOU as an individual
Nice, Fun place to work
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands4 December 2018
I worked at smiggle for a couple months as a key holer. I was in charge of the shop when the manager wasn't there and loved every second. The children are so happy to walk in and see all the colourful bright stuff as much as the adults! I was fortunate enough to have a lovley manager who made me feel welcome starting from the moment I handed my CV in and offered me the job in the interview. She made sure I had full training before being in charge on my own and reasured me she was only a phone call away when she had a day off and I needed help.
Pros
Lovely in store manager
Cons
Not many hours
Fun
Person in Charge (Former Employee) –  London15 November 2018
Easy four hour shifts generally and a good staff discount of 50%. Although no chance of progression within the company, no support provided to reach a higher role.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Very positive and energetic workplace
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex10 November 2018
Worked as christmas temp. One of my favourite positions! Friendly Staff, supportive management, engaging culture. I could go on but they did everythng right as an employer ranging from development and coaching to handling pay and onboarding quickly and effectively. Would recommend to anyone.
Pros
Suportive, understanding, engaging and fun
Cons
Good place to learn basic retail skills, fun experience.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ealing, Greater London29 October 2018
It is a relaxed environment that can also be quite stressful due to floods of children and parents all asking for help. However there are perks to the job such as using the items you sell and getting a discount on them so you can get the products for your children.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lots of children
A Smile With A Giggle - Smiggle
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cwmbran15 October 2018
A decent enough company to work for, has its ups & downs as all retail business do!, depending on which branch and who you are working under.
Seems to have a high turnover of staff though, but I haven't quite gotten to the why yet.

The general business motto is great, supposed to be like a family fun environment and it can be, but it can also forget that motto at times when they are pushing for sales figures and focusing on performance above all else and how much the store brings in.
Sometimes the spirit level slips between the two.

It can have its fun days, but it can also be very stressful.
The company expects a lot from its staff, especially with it being incredibly corporate with its paperwork and figures, ie tracking absolutely everything that goes on within a day in each store, even down to each hour!.

There are frequent LP reviews on each store and it doesn't take much at all to drop a tier or more, we are only human after all.

The progression is there though if you want it, lots of basic training, nothing in depth really, they give you a good basic skill set but you do have to do a lot of finding out on your own how to do things within the position at times as there is a lack of backup and support at times.

Overall a good company to work for if you can avoid all the extra 'extra' work that you dont get paid for after the shop shuts at the end of the day.
Pros
Good company motto, my staff are amazing & good basic pay.
Cons
Unpaid lunch, lack of support/decent training/too corporate at times.
Awful place
Manager (Former Employee) –  England13 October 2018
Lone trading a lot at least twice a week all day open till close along with at least an hour a day . No toilets
Too much work load for size of team. High budgets and targets
No thanks for hard work
No cctv no security. But yet high expectations to control stock loss you have to walk the money to the bank
Would never recommend to work ever
Promises made and broken. No pay rises or bonus awards or rewards you will build up Unpaid overtime you cannot get paid for and never enough staff cover for you to have time off to compensate the overtime
Awful
Pros
You get paid once a month sometimes the right amount
Cons
All the below
extremely productive
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London3 October 2018
working at Smiggle was very stressful because the staff would put a lot of pressure on you although you are just a sales assistant. You are expected to do too many things in one day and a lot of the times are understaffed
A fantastic, fast paced working environment
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 September 2018
My time at smiggle taught me alot, from learning about a whole range of new products nearly every shift - to understanding how to manage a busy store full of children, it really is a fun and energetic place to be.

My managers have always been so helpful and involved in their role at smiggle, taking into consideration how their staff feel!

The hours are often great for a student and the pay is great to, I would recommend highly!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Always very busy
Good for part-time temporary work
Key Holder/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire27 September 2018
As a Part-time sales assistant the job was perfect however once you start to progress in the company the pay does not become worth it for the expectations you are given. A lot of lone trading whether you are simply a key holder or a manager. You are expected to be able to stay longer on your shift whether you're paid for the extra hours or not. However, the teams you work with are always reliable and very supportive.
Pros
Flexible hours as a sales assistant (usually given more than contracted), great team relationships in all stores
Cons
Lone trading, no benefits
Worst company I've ever worked for.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester25 September 2018
7hrs training, handed keys and left to run the shop for a week. Absolutely lacklustre. Management do not care for you. Too much is asked of you. Lone trade for most of the day. No CCTV, no security, told not to intervene with anyone stealing, but you'll get penalised for stock loss. Need to use the toilet during your shift? You'll have to close the store and go find some toilets. Then get a phonecall from a higher-up because someone's complained that you've been shut for 5 minutes.
A sensory overload of a store, with overpriced tat to sell. If you love to be loud, hassle customers with FIFTEEN SECONDS of them entering the store (no joke, that's what's in the little 'training' booklet), and really really love feeling frantic all the time, then this is the place for you.
Pros
Alright pay
Cons
Everything else
The worst place to work..
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool19 September 2018
Please do not waste your time and work for this awful company.
Head office are rude, they don’t care about you, to them you’re just a number.
No hours are given, you have to alone trade a lot!
No breaks are given, you can’t ever plan to do things because rotas are constantly changed.
AVOID SMIGGLE!!!
Pros
There are no pros
Cons
Too many cons to list.
Really good fun
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Southampton28 August 2018
I absolutely loved my time as an Xmas temp with Smiggle. The manager was really understanding of my condition and what it meant for my ability to carry out tasks at work. All the staff were very friendly and welcoming and there was a good atmosphere in the shop.

Would recommend this company to anyone looking for a good xmas job.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
No cons.
Jokers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  East Anglia14 August 2018
Loan trade a lot of the day
Work load is massive and a lot for one person wen you have to do table changes, bay changes,serve customers, delivery’s
Customers moan if to be fair you can’t get something out the stockroom so you lose a sale but then your moaned at wen figured n kpi are down
Delivery’s stock sent in that you don’t need but stock you do need doesn’t get replened so head office or warehouse staff clearly not worked in a shop before.
Regional manager is rude
Pros
Salary not bad
Cons
Work load massive
Good to begin retail experience
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian2 August 2018
Worked there for almost 3 years. Started off good while I was still in High school as a weekend job. However, hours were getting cut and people were being fired for no reason. Also upper management did not care about the sales assistants or supervisors .
Pros
50% off products
Cons
Cutting hours.
Fun and Friendly environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex25 July 2018
I Loved working at Smiggle. Its such a friendly and productive place to work and great for a first or summer job! You're constantly interacting with customers and its wonderful getting to work around kids and seeing their faces light up.
Pros
Chilled, family environment. Working as a part of a small team and full of colour and laughter.
Cons
Not enough hours to give
Most disrespectful company ever
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hounslow29 June 2018
Don’t ever work for Smiggle they are the worst company to work for so disrespectful and don’t care about the staff. Head office are a joke they only care about themselves and that’s it. You will never get support or help when needed the one people who u will if from your team who work like animal to make sure everythinh is done. Honestly I have never been so disappointed by one company the way I have with Smiggle. Trust me it’s not worth you time and stress and efforts they won’t care about you. Never work for I left and it was the best thing I ever done.
Pros
Cons
No hours. Head office. Everyday promo change. Lone trading. So much more.
Amazing place to work and to grow within the retail market
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford19 June 2018
Always loads to do from customer service to VM thought out the day and weeks.
Hardest part is running the store with next to no staff due to cut backs but the work load is more.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
big work loads

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiggle UK. Our community is ready to answer.