Slough Borough Council

Slough Borough Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom40 reviews
Flexible, but awful culture and the pressure is on
They are a good employer, but senior management puts so much pressure on the staff at the bottom. The volume is also insane and they will never have the budget to get the staff they need
n/a
Slough was a difficult place to work due to the nature of my job, children's services is a role which brings to the fore abuse and neglect if unprepared that could would be to much to handle
Productive and fun workplace
Normal working from 9 till 5
Teamworking and effective collaborations

The management is very friendly and helpful

The Council holds a strict dress code and no smoking policy on site.
Pros
Ongoing training and development
Cons
Sometimes you have to work the odd weekend.
If you like collaboration then the Local Authority is great, but it is a slower paced environment. The new offices and agile working is available, this will depend on your managers view of flexible working.
Good Place to work
Good place to work, but chances of progression is very minimal. With the move to the new building, I do hope things get better. At the call centre, Managers treat employees like school kids
Friendly and supportive environment
I really enjoyed my time working here because the work was streamlined and people were genuinely committed to their jobs and the needs of the community.
Pros
Flexible working; free car park
Cons
Cannot think of any
I was on a temporary contract here which continued to be extended. I enjoyed my work and worked with some really lovely people. The agency I worked for were not great but SBC excellent.
unsatisfactory
Not a good environment to work it's almost like you're back in primary education team leaders doing what they pleased I hate it
It's almost like you're back in primary education not a adult work space
The workplace culture is accommodating and the management are fantastic well organise and good to work with, the hardest part of the work is you have to visit site on compulsory deed and is flexible to work there is part of the enjoyable deed you will get, fantastic
and enjoyable to work with the management.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
complete the hour
Childrens Centre GSA
Office Administartive work at a Childrens centre is fairly you act as the first point of contact for all those who enter the Centre. I learned to be approachable to all those I am I'm contact with.
production, cleaning, nursing home
I am an honest person, very accurately performs my work, I am intimate, without addictions, I quickly learn

am never late for work, I want to move to lecester and gain new experience at work
Good
Cons
No cons
Interviews for SBC jobs
I don't know how much experience the staff have for interviewing others, but from my experience some of the questions they ask are ridiculous. I feel as if they only recruit internal employees and just waste external public time just so they look good on paper and seen as adhering to "equal opportunities". Its a shame because I know some people with so much experience yet they recruit others who do not even know the basics.
Pros
Salary is ok
Cons
Recruitment process is rubbish
Very Good
fulfilled admin duties as and when required. Support the HR Team with the project that entails the re-organisation of existing and new jobs. Responsible for checking, typing and filing job specifications for staff at all levels. Extracting data from spreadsheets concerning job scoring and high level HR information and investigating possible changes that may need to be made. Updating existing spreadsheets with new job roles. Answering customer (staff) queries over the phone and e-mail regarding changes to job descriptions.
Productive job
I’m not actually sure what company it was that I worked for. It was about 3 years ago.
However, although the papers was delivered I got the pay check but was unable to travel at the time to cash it up.

So I practically worked for free.
Pros
Local, you can do your job when it suits you
Cons
Long hours depending on route
Good opportunities but poor leadership
Good opportunities but poor leadership which makes work harder than it needs to be. Lots of management changes, which makes it difficult to provide some form of stability for employees.
Steping stone
I worked at an outsourced company - Arvato, the quality is not the same as being employed by SBC.

The call centre was outsourced and employee value was not great.
Really Good and Productive
Currently working at Slough Borough Council has made me gain a lot of new skills and achievements. I have work amongst a lot of new customers and new departments.
Productive work place
From the moment that I started to work for the oocal authority I received training and support. I coverd areas in Housing services; from management to repairs, rents and eviction. I then went into Ciuncil Tax & Housing Benefit as well as assesment. My last 5 years with the Authority I was lead in the My Ciuncil in Schools Admissions.
Pros
We were trained and kept up to date with the current laws
Cons
Sometimes we were understaffed
Dreadful
I have nothing good to say about Slough Borough Council. It is a dreadful organisation which breeds complacency from the very top all the way down. Cannot recommend to anybody.
good job with good benefits
A typical day at Slough Borough Council includes working within a team and providing services to customers both internally and externally.
I have learned how to work amongst other people in a pressurised environment and meeting deadlines.

I have also learned how to use a number of different software programmes.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people in the local community to help make life a little easier for them.
Pros
paid annual leave
Very Stressful Job
Being a Housing Benefit Department, it was very stressful job as we had to deal with all sorts of customers, sometimes they used to get so angry and just shouted at the front line staff. Very busy through out the day as there were always ques of customers trying to get their documents submitted to claim their Housing Benefits. Management were helpful but they too were in too much stress. It was a multicultural working environment. The hardest part of this job was when customers were not eligible for Housing Benefits and are refused and they used to get angry and shout at staff. The most enjoyable part was very friendly environment and very good team work, all supported each other.
Pros
Luncheon Vouchers.
Cons
Very Stressful job.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Slough Borough Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Slough Borough Council Reviews by Location