Slater and Gordon Lawyers Employee Reviews

Not What You'd Expect
Legal Adviser (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester19 January 2019
PROS;

Most of the colleagues and other employees were lovely.
Friendly and modern office.
You learn a lot in the role and develop skills which can be transferable
Great location- the Manchester office is in the city centre.

CONS;

Training incredibly rickety- I did not get all of my training given to me until four months into my job.
Ridiculously high staff turnover.
Very low pay- the pay was not proportionate to the amount of work done.
Progression is incredibly limited. The company chooses who they want well in advance for promotion. Progression was a load of false promises.
Some difficult managers/ lack of guidance from management.
I was never offered an exit interview, even though this opportunity was given to other employees who left the company.
Work loads can be difficult/ challenging when it is busy, which often took a toll on my mental health.
Sweatshop-like work environment.
On-call requirements are completely unnecessary, create paranoia, and take over life outside of work. I was on edge not knowing when and what time the phone would ring. It is not appropriate to call someone at 6am to ask "where do I stand legally?"
You were monitored to the absolute thousandth of a second and watched far too often by management. If any of the figures did not add up, management would inform you and make you feel like a schoolchild. You were even criticized and reprimanded for taking toilet breaks!
Being late a handful of times due to matters well out of my control (e.g. train strikes) was somehow my fault.

Advice to Management

Paying staff more and
  more... valuing them more would be a start. You can work like crazy and be given little to no gratitude whatsoever.
The company has been on a slippery slope fora number of reasons for a while and I do not see it improving. Progression is not what you'd expect- I applied for a few internal roles and it took HR and management months to reply. When HR finally replied, they offered me an interview, only to be told a few hours later not to attend.
Handing in my notice and moving to a different, better firm was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
Employees will still continue to use the firm as a "stepping stone", then move on to a better job unless things change.
Revolving door problem
Litigation Executive (Former Employee) –  Manchester Central, Greater Manchester13 January 2019
Loads of people leaving on an annual basis with a lack of reinforcements coming in to counter it. This leads to the existing people being absolutely swamped with work with little to no support, which causes undue stress, which channels into unpleasant employees to work alongside.

Clear favouritism in the workplace does injustice to those who work hard and wish to be rewarded for it, compared to those who do a lot less in the same exact role but are ridiculously over-friendly with their immediate superiors and always get what they want.

Also, if they don't see you as part of an image of the company they desperately want to be, you won't really get any job progression.

Hierarchy change their minds all the time of how they want to run the business; and the HR team and recruitment process is a complete shambles.

No genuine attempt to address any employee concerns about most things like, salary, progression, support, training.

They don't have the answers, man!

They want to be the number 1 consumer law firm in 2021, but they've got a long way to go. It will be interesting to see where they stand come 2021. Hopefully, they can only get better. Hopefully.
Nice working environment but low salary
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  London27 November 2018
As above: nice working environment/company culture, people but low salary. Slow career progression/promotion prospects. Good coffee machines and great location.
Pros
nice working environment
Cons
low salary
Good luck!
Claims Handler (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire12 October 2018
Working in a very busy call center making and receiving calls in relation to various type of claims which is processed on company software.

Job itself can be very repetitive at times and there is a lack of consistency with the smooth running of company technology, which makes it far more difficult to ensure effective claims handling.

It can be very frustrating, training is weak, colleague improvement strategy is poor and do not hope for job security unless your really desperate an can expect anytime departure even if you have passed probation which is more than likely to be a result of unfair treatment.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Incompetent Senior Managers
A place where your brain cells will instantly decline
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire3 June 2018
The various positions within the company are extremely repetitive and menial
The general consensus is that the managers and the work environment are a total shambles
The work culture is poor and does not exist- the department budget set aside for team building days out and incentives mysteriously disappear on a regular basis
You will constantly be micromanaged- from going on breaks to the toilet- if you are between 1-10 minutes late you will be instantly taken into a meeting for a warning
There was very little that I learnt whilst working at this company
They tend to hire people who are aged under 20 and so this place often feels like a high school playground
Pros
Cons
Too many
A Company In Transition
Head of BI & Data (Former Employee) –  Liverpool5 March 2018
Slater and Gordon has been going through a significant transition period for some time due to poor acquisition decision, lack of strategy and an overly complex operational structure. Although new leadership team has been appointed, many of the detractors are still in key positions making their goal of 1 by 21 a difficult objective.
Slater & Gordon
Apprentice Administrator (Current Employee) –  London19 November 2017
The work environment within Slater & Gordon is very friendly and welcoming, however encourages professionalism to a high standard with immaculate mentoring and guidance.
worst place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire14 November 2017
management are very unrealistic
no career progression
no perks
no life- always work crazy shifts early and late and weekends
no parking
no bonus's
even their Christmas parties are always in NOVEMBER (tight guys)
they always give false hopes
there is too much favouritism
and money decreases every year alongside good staff who leave
Place is a shambles run by a poorer operation team who dont care about staff.
most enjoyable part of the day was 'Hometime'
Pros
staff are nice
Cons
stay away unless you want stress
No progression and low salary
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Manchester Central24 September 2017
Low salaries but staff are expected to work extremely hard wit no job progression.
managers make false promises and t feels lie there is a lo of favouritism within the company.
Good social atmosphere.
It is a very positive place for work experience and gave me a good insight to the real work place.
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  St Helens30 August 2017
I enjoyed working here as it had a very positive atmosphere everyone was very welcoming and had time to answer any questions I had , overall I think it benefits me personally as it helped me have an insight to the real world.
Pros
Able to leave at lunch for some free time outside the work place.
its ok
Secretary (Current Employee) –  london24 July 2017
its a job, it is ok for the moment. Everyday is pretty much the same. There are always rumours about the company going down then you hear it is ok again.
Very Productive
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester5 July 2017
fun working there as i acting as part of legal advice team the team gave me a lot of research to do . I really like the atmosphere .Definitely learnt a lot.
Going down hill
Claims Handler (Former Employee) –  Blackpool24 June 2017
Place lost all good staff. Management poor, perks worse. Ok at best.
There are a few good people left but most are seeing sense and leaving. Ì would not recommend.
Horrendous place to work
Claims Handler (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire12 May 2017
With a lack of training, human rights seem to be optional dependant on who you know all in all a depressing place to work, Morale only peaks past barely existent if the fire alarm goes off or the servers crash.

Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone
Pros
Passage of time allows your shift to eventually end
Cons
All of it
Lack of management
Legal Cashier (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester10 March 2017
I love my job and I am very good at it but the management here is not very good. People on mobile phones, on the internet, taking all day and taking all day to do something that should have even take half a day and they never get pulled on it.
Pros
Great Location
Cons
Stress
Stressful place to work
Litigation Executive (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester4 February 2017
High turnover of staff. Unrealistic targets which cannot be met. Poor wages. No support from management. Working under pressure all the time. Firm gives you too many files to look after.
Pros
Easy to get to on public transport
Cons
No management support
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester31 December 2016
Effective team
Good infrastructure
Thriving business

Very innovative for the industry they are in
Pay is reasonable for the work I do

Would like to advance in the company
Can see myself here for many years
Pros
Good team
Mixed
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire30 December 2016
Low pay.
Manager for 2/5 days available.
No benefits.
No sick pay until 1 year of service
Team was difficult at times.
No appreciation.
Lack of work at my side.
Mentioned progression but nothing after 1 month of starting.
Low moral

Free parking
9-5 hours
Job security
Depressing place to work for
Claims Handler (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 December 2016
Lack of training ...no management support..management trying to find their own holidays abroad ..yet criticised for any access on net ..a horrid company to work for
Pros
Nothing but treat you like rubbish
Cons
Get a job if your a idiot
Friendly environment, great social networking, excellent benefits
Legal Administrator (Former Employee) –  Manchester22 November 2016
Great management and friendly team.
Work benfits and choices.
Great activities and social networking.
Excellent progression with in the company, with yearly salary reviews and bonus.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Slater and Gordon Lawyers. Our community is ready to answer.

Slater and Gordon Lawyers Reviews by Location