Sky Betting & Gaming

Sky Betting & Gaming Employee Reviews

United Kingdom32 reviews
Great support from management to allow to grow. Plenty of opportunities anywhere else in the business but I stayed where I was as it fit well around my circumstances at the time which they were fully in support of
Pros
Great office and facilities
Cons
Breaks not long enough
Great experience.

Great place to work.

Great management.

Great working culture.

Great technologies.

Great professionalism.

Great Agile practice.
At Sky bet

We're given the freedom and flexibility to be our very best selves, and to do things the way we think they should be done.

We never stop discovering, developing or asking 'what next?' in our quest to take betting and gaming to new and exciting places.
Good ethos, nice offices, big effort from HQ on keeping it fun - off-sites, social events. Friday talks with free brekkie. Overall a good place to work.
Pros
Great environment
Skybet was a very entrepreneurial company to work for. Since inception in the early 2000's it has become a pinnacle in betting and I would recommend to anyone
Some lovely colleagues

fast and demanding

agile to a degree

good benefits

gym life insurance
Overall it was an enjoyable 3 years but its been a hard 3 years as the business is not built for those with family's due to the working hours and depending on your role the lack of time away from your job as it often takes over your home life.

Perks at Sky Bet are amazing and the pay is fair.

Great people to work with and a business that is focused on mental health.
If you are up for a job with very authoritarian management, no work life balance, big culture of bullying where in-groups and cliques are rife, and you enjoy rate race then SBG is for you. Otherwise don’t bother
Taking customer contact
Problem solving

Self management and working as a team

Deal with social media contacts

Meeting monthly KPIs

Covering night shifts
SB&G is one of the best places I have ever worked. It is a relaxed company with amazing colleagues. It is a fast pace working environment with loads of support and management are excellent.
NDA (non disclosure agreements) are the "norm" to push serious issues under the carpet, in my case bullying which I could clearly prove happened.

In a very senior role to add; this makes no difference.

Aware of around 12 former colleagues this has happened to.

Great place to work? No. 100% not.
Pros
Cons
HR are ineffective, pointless, never providing an impartial view
Rapidly expanding, ever changing & fast moving industry,
Good culture for a young person wanting to meet many like minded individuals.

Can be some challenging moments with customers.
I went to Sky Bet and gaming and learned massive amounts on what’s needed to be adaptable. This is challenging when your role is all about QA but SBG taught me it is enjoyably doable.

Concentrate on what needs to be done when, where and who with and then get agreement on the how. Alin those 5 aspects and follow agile principles and values and you can make effective lean squads that deliver at the appropriate pace.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Its not for everybody change at speed is a living value
Excellent environment and has done a lot promote and grow a strong culture. Moves very quickly but often suffers from not finishing some areas of focus but that's to be expected.
I worked in the contact centre shortly after they changed name from Surrey sports, we were told it was a family atmoshpere but later realised that family is the Fritzl's.

Other reviews point to favouritism and I cannot stress how rampant that is in this place; promotions are purely based on favouritism and are nothing to do with competency or hard work, to add insult to this is that promotions are usually "secondments" with no increase in pay or benefits and you'll be bumped back down the ladder at the drop of a hat. I was removed from my position after an employee accused me of racism, it took 3 months for management to look into it only for me to be told in passing conversation that nothing camd of it and the accusation was baseless - I did not get reinstated to my promtion position.

Any vacant higher positions were simply given to one single employee without question which angered myself and other staff yet all accusations of favouritism were shot down.

If you have an opinion that goes against contact centre shift managers prepare to be actively victimised, while in the position I mentioned above, one of the shift managers proceeded to tell me that she despised one of the individual contact centre advisors. During one busy month (Cheltenham month) I was assigned phone duties for the full month, as bonus is scored on chat duty alone this meant I could not acheive bonus that month - complaints fell on deaf ears. If you fall fould of shift manager attitudes then you get poor rotas, say goodby to ever getting 2 days in a row off and for 2 consecutive years I was assigned
 - more...
Pros
Free sky TV
Cons
Everything else
Customer Ops Centre less than min wage + <20% for unsocial hours which cover 19 hours a day (7am to 2am), 365 days a year with no extra for bank hols, any 5 of 7 days with days off not usually consecutive or including a weekend day.

1 week notice during probation 2 weeks after. 3 month probation with majority of cust ops staff getting a 3 month extension. Worked 140 hours overtime in a month or so, no feedback. Getting nearer probation end and dared to negotiate a 1 month extension after asked wrong substitute question. Obviously upset someone.

1 month extension, 1/2 of which was leave, was constant opression. Afternoon of day going on leave where probation would have ended while away I was suspended for Gross Misconduct (kneejerk reaction). I had seen the text of an old chat on a summary of recent contacts that was clearly an RG concern so I had raised it. I hadn't seen the text at the time otherwise would have had the same reaction and raised it then or had seen part of it and stood up and asked if anyone had already had that customer through.

Customer had engaged with someone else on chat minutes before that day and had been told to phone in. Came back on empty chat with same person, but did not engage. Came on empty chat with me, and did not engage although I paste in standard text to let all cusomer's know there is someone there.

I was debadged and suspended 45 minutes before going on leave for 8 days, 7 days out of UK, suspension ruining holiday and Silver Wedding. Cust Ops concerned about customers but not employees.
Pros
Rest of company other than the Contact Centre
Cons
Contact Centre's Reek (GOT) employee treatment
The appearance that this company is giving from outside is not what reflected on the inside. They play a lot on the sky brand, but they have been acquired now by Pokerstars, as incapable of doing things on their own.The salary, compare to other betting companies is low, the preparation of the management is simply disgraceful: they are not aware of many of the basic compliance and Responsible Gambling rules, and has a result of that the company has recently been fined from the authority. Apart of this, there is no organisation or sort of collaboration between departments, and for someone that wants to grow this is definitely the right environment . Coming from one of the biggest betting company in the world, and being managed by a guy on his first managerial experience in a betting company ( with the highest peak in his career as a proof reader for babies book) was the icy on the cake.
If you think that you can make a career on favouritism and you don't care about growing professionally this is the perfect place to work, but if you love yourself look to find a better job definitely in an other company.
Pros
Free beverage
Cons
Unprofessional people to work with, lack of knowledge from managers, fake promises and no opportunity to grow within the business
Good luck if you get a job here because you'll need it! They have Managers that don't know what they are doing, promote people based on favouritism, and really don't have any idea in general. If you manage to get into a friendship circle you'll do well but it won't be on the merit of your work.
Pros
Cons
Bad culture
Sky Betting & Gaming are a fantastic company to work for. Some of the perks include free fruit, tea and coffee as well as free Sky TV and health insurance.
I cannot sing the praises enough about SB&G. It is, hands down, one of the best places I have ever worked.

The management team in customer operations are hands on and get involved.
Pros
Free sky tv, bonuses based on annual performance
Cons
Flexible working hours can have you working shifts that are all over the place
I never have a problem not wanting to go to work as everyday promises new challenges and big rewards. Any squad and tribe I've worked in has been incredible, with each having their own identities and team culture! But one thing is consistent amongst them all and that is the welcoming and friendly atmosphere.

A general respect policy on most aspects of day to day life, makes fitting your job around your home life a breeze. If you're a morning person, why not leave at 4pm, or if thats your idea of a bad day, start at 10am. Tea breaks, lunch breaks and just general away from the screen time isn't frowned upon, or viewed as unproductive. Just a general consensus that when your pushing hard to meet a deadline you'll work your socks off (and you'll feel like you want to) because you know that after the deadline, you will be able to recover.

Nothing is ever forced upon you, its a simple case of if you want more responsibilities, a promotion or whatever, work hard and you'll get there. Being an on call engineer is completely optional, but definitely very rewarding.

Cakes, special occasion free meals, office treats and drinks are just many of the frequent perks you can expect from day to day work. Big horse racing festival, you'll likely find a breakfast roll available, middle of summer you'll likely find a party and ice creams. The company definitely takes looking after its employees to a new level.
Pros
Awesome culture!
Cons
Cross site communication is somewhat lacking