Sky Employee Reviews

A good job ruined by management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Midlands25 March 2018
I worked as a Sky 'Engineer' in the Midlands (East) region and never before have I had a job where the management actively seek your dismissal. I know there are other regions where management treat you like an adult, but not the east region. I was unfortunate to have a manager who had free rein to use you as a play thing to entertain himself and put as much stress and pressure on you and your family as he could.
Making a minor 'mistake' is unacceptable within Sky. You get assigned up to 9 jobs a day, where the expectation is complete them all. Failure to do so on a regular basis usually results in intense manager pressure. You are expected to use full H&S at all times and your manager will regularly drop in unannounced to try and catch you out. If you are not using a piece of H&S equipment when he turns up, you'll be suspended and (if lucky) get a final written warning.
Your salary and bonus and based on fairly unachievable targets, so don't get drawn in to their 'OTE' spiel. Your bonus is used as a stick to beat you with.
Expect military style discipline, keep your head down and pray you never make a mistake.
If anyone from Sky wishes to discuss my comments, I'm open to dialogue.
Benefits
Cons
Awful management, long hours, intense pressure.
Not worth applying!!!
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset19 January 2018
Terrible structure from interview right through! The first is the telephone interview if you pass that your told to attend the "expierience day" where you are told to expect a few role playing exercise, twenty questions about how you are not worthy (they only want you to explain your weakest qualities, with no examples) and a medical thrown in. Even in the interview you are told your expected to work hard and that most cant handle it. In reality there preparing you for a good crack of the whip. If your a workoholic go for it. But expect the all seeing eye in the "sky" to be watching you install big brother on demand.
Pros
Um
Cons
Money not worth whats expected of you.
Stay away
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester14 January 2018
without doubt the worse place to work. Managers are utterly vile and treat you like dirt. Everything is target driven and God help you if you don't hit your targets. This is not a fun place to work. The hours give you no life balance. Please please avoid this dump. I'd honestly rather be out of work than wwork here.
Pros
The end of your shift
Prison camp
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester7 December 2017
This is by far the worst company to work for. The work life balance is very very poor. The management are absolute vile humans. Everything is targets targets and targets you must hit (no questions asked) I would never advise anybody to work here. If you see a job advertised here keep looking.
Horible place to wotk
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dunfermline, Fife23 October 2017
Nice people but bad managment . You are just a number to meet there needs. Timed whilst going to loo ? Consant on your back with targets. Cant get the holidays you would like tuff.

No managers their to help with customers needs !
Pros
Wages
Cons
Treat very bad by managers
Awful, brutal interview process
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  North East1 June 2017
Had an interview with this company a few months ago. It was ok to start with but as others have mentioned they want a lot of paperwork from you. Then there is a role playing exercise in which they just go for your jugular. There is just no need for this. How about treating people with a bit more respect? I know people who actually work here and they don't have a life outside work. It's an awful place to work and I wouldn't recommend anyone goes here. To sum up "Pure Nastyness".
Pros
Cons
No work life balance and nasty interviews
Awful company
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire11 April 2017
Gives no feedback on the interview process but yet requires a lot of paperwork to be completed beforehand. Waste of time. Awful management! Do not bother with this job it's not worthwhile
Pros
Cons
Awful company, shocking management
Company of hypocrites
Home Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lymm, Cheshire11 April 2017
You usually get 9 jobs that have to be done in an 8 hour day, but often i'd find myself leaving at 7.30am and returning by 7pm. Most people on the job would finish by about 5pm.

Where the hypocrisy comes in is that management continually push H&S while all the while knowing its impossible to complete all jobs and stay in compliance. In order to be a sky engineer you have to play the game and that means being a liar. Everyone skips on Health and Safety when doing their 9 job run, so everyone lies. Management are mostly ex-engineers so they expect you to lie to them and say "of course i follow H&S". Sales were recently introduced as a new role and like any capitalist company they want you to sell, sell, sell while continually comparing you to others in the hope of creating competition.

All in all sky is a good company to work for with great staff and friendly approachable management. The salary in NW is £22,000 with bonus it can be £27-£29k there are a boat load of benefits for working with sky. It's a job that's best suited to someone young without family commitments since there's little work life balance, but if you can devote yourself "i say devote because it has a slight cult feeling to it" then you can make a lot of money.

Hard part is working in the winter when they want you to get your 9 jobs done earlier so you don't work in the dark. Again something ends up giving and H&S is all you have left.

Can't say you learn a great deal since it's a very specialist area, most of the training is around correct ladder usage and on products.

Most enjoyable part of
  more... the job was meeting the customers and having a chat (sadly there's little time for this), as you have to "bag them in as quick as you can" in the words of a long standing engineer.  less
Pros
Wage, bonus, pension, people, meeting people, van
Cons
Check your morals at the door, say goodbye to your family, no lunch
Fear and bullying
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Feild17 March 2017
Company ruled by fear , team managers upwards, any problems resolved through intimidation not compassion, Very much a bullying culture and a massive disrespect for customers, engineers now required to sell to customers, a process of manipulation whereby customer is persuaded to spend more money on their sky subscription to save money, company earnings a bit flat so they will use sales I.e subsciption upgrades and screen clean as an extra revenue stream.Its all about the money , not recomended working for sky to any of my freinds, freind beware ..
Pros
Better pay than giro dole
Cons
Too many to list, just beware.
Worst place I have worked by a country mile
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  South East22 September 2016
The most outrageous company I have worked for, the first 5 weeks of training are good until you get chucked in at the deep end with 9 jobs due to Christmas demand. Don't get me wrong the lads I worked with were amazing and helped me out always. But most days as a new engineer you would start at 8 at your drop box and could be anywhere which would leave my day slaving away until 8/9pm, as a new engineer it's hard to keep up, management wasn't to bad they would help you or organise help for you but if you was out of your area on your own then your on your own. Health and safety is a absolute joke with this company. Takes at least 20 minutes to get your ladders set for the job let alone put a dish up/ get signal/ run cable/ install and set box up all in 46 minutes which your allocated for a single box install. If you do work there don't go up a ladder with no Heath and safety as I did up 2 steps clipping cable and got suspended and eventually dismissed. Even though your allowed to stand on a tool box which you are given with a step on it that is about the same hight as the ladder I was on also allowed up a combination ladder with no health and safety on as long as your clipping cable but because I was on a triple section ladder which I deem safer then a combi I get sacked. Also the disciplinary is a laugh, the process took over a month to have my first meeting to which I was dismissed. I then appealed which then the meeting didn't happen until 3 months and a couple of days after my initial suspension. Which HR worked out to a tee that I couldn't take them to court due to it being  more... over 3 months since my original suspension. For a company so big I would avoid like the plague. NOT A DISGRUNTLED EMPLOYEE, more like frustrated and disappointed in the treatment for the money you get paid.  less
Pros
Free sky, good colleagues, personal mileage
Cons
Long hours, awful management, terrible health and safety
Best Job I've Ever Had!
Talent Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Osterley21 September 2016
I've now worked at Sky for a year and can honestly say it is the best place I have ever worked.
You feel like you have autonomy in your role to make decisions and define your own role.
Managers are always there when you need them and are very knowledgeable.
I feel as though Sky is somewhere I can stay for a long long time to come. There are many opportunities to progress upwards or sidewards (to learn new skills).
I also feel I have achieved great life/work balance by working from home at least one day a week.
In summary, everyone I've met at Sky are friendly and approachable, yet also at the same time challenging the status quo and striving to do better every day.
Pros
Flexible Working. Subsidised Food. Career Opportunities
Customer Service Advisor
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stockport4 September 2016
A typical day at work includes taking calls from customers regarding their ongoing broadband, TV or phone issues. Customer are never happy, and quite rightfully so. Training does not reflect what the actual work is. Training is never implemented in the work environment. Management also does not provide support and is quite focused on the sales rather then resolving issues for the customer. The hardest part of the job is to get a good NPS score back, which is quite a challenege as a customer who does not have working Broadband, phone or TV will not give you a good NPS score. NPS score is realistically for Sky as a company, however Sky force this score on the advisor. Nothing is enjoyable, only thing enjoyable is speaking to your co-workers who are in the same postion as you and always complaining of the NPS score. A very high dropout percentage. People leave as quickly as they come.
Pros
Cons
Salary, long ours, business demands, Sky will use you as they please
Awful!!!!
Retentions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Uddingston1 August 2016
If you want to be investigated without your knowledge and hear through the grapevine of other people being investigated without THEIR knowledge, work for SKY!! If you want management telling employees personal business of yours, blocking you on social media without knowing you, gossip fest, your private business is spoke about by all management. Toxic place. Job is trying to retain customers who want to leave, you have to save at least 75% of them or you are managed into a performance plan, if you are struggling retaining customers with no support you will be put on a performance plan and eventually disciplined ...job wouldn't be so bad if all management changed and wages matched the role. DO NOT APPLY.
Pros
Easy to drive to
Cons
Bad management, investigation happy, management discussing private business, toxic
Shift working employees are treated badly.
Transmission Controller (Current Employee) –  Sky Studios, Osterley27 July 2016
Shifts are long (12HR) and are in 7 or 5 day blocks, alternating between nights and day shifts. The worst possible way to work shifts.
Anyone who complains or develops health problems becomes a target from bullying and intimidating managers.
No unions are recognised and there is no employee representation.
Managers are not usually seen until you have a technical problem when they will try and pin the fault in you leading to loss of increment, bonus and possibly sacking.
Terrible employee - management relations.
Pros
Salary + Benefits
Cons
Treated like second class employees
Sales Advisor
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Dunfermline15 April 2016
A typical day at sky:-

I work on inbound calls for the retension department, I do 3 full days a week with 2 hrs off per day for breaks, It is a hard but very rewarding job.
Pros
free sky and nice enviroment to work
Productive work place.
Sales Agent (DORT) (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne11 April 2016
When you look at the business of sky, you would easily thing of a larger corporate monster whom would be impersonal to the general public and mainly care about its profit margins and such however although as it is a multi million pound company, yes they care about profit margins they care about doing it in the right way.

The business is open, friendly, passionate with what their specific departments are in control of, majority of the leaders within the Newcastle office are driven and focused bosses who want to better themselves & members of their team.

Each team is a family in its own right who will help one another with problems and look after customers together to give the customer a much better journey than an impersonal automated machine would.
Pros
free sky tv with discounts to broadband, bonus, pension, health care
Cons
long hours, not many chances to further yourself
Brilliant, loved it!!
Network Implementation Project Co-Ordinator (Current Employee) –  Slough Trading Estate10 April 2016
Work is challenging and very varied. The managers and fellow colleagues are lovely. Great atmosphere, everyone is really friendly, loads of banter with a work hard play hard attitude.
Pros
Staff
Cons
My contract wasn't extended
Fantastic place
TELESALES EXECUTIVE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Cardiff2 April 2016
Great staff and work colleagues and very sociable, great places to eat due to location. Free sky if you pass probation and opportunities to progress in various departments and roles.
Great supporting network from team members and other departments.
Pros
canteen and great places to eat plus free sky
Cons
unsociable hours if located outside of cardiff
Great Company
Unipart bSkyb Contract (Current Employee) –  Coventry29 March 2016
I believe I could bring a wide variety of skills and have a massive ability to learn in high pressure environment, in which I have proven in all of my previous roles, I believe i am now at the age in which a career is a must and I am willing to push the boundy and think outside the box to ensure this becomes reality.
Amazing atmosphere
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Sheffield29 March 2016
I was only at SKY's Customer Contact Centre in Sheffield for a week but you really got a feel for the place. There were many break out rooms to go sit and eat or talk away. They had table tennis and pool so staff could play games on their break and relax. There was a canteen where everything was discounted for staff, and plus side, the food was brilliant. Everyone was friendly and welcoming and always said hello when you passed them. They constantly kept spirits up. As there was a launch day they handed out free drinks and snacks and people were very thankful and cheery.