Skipton Building Society

Skipton Building Society Employee Reviews

United Kingdom70 reviews
I’ve worked for Skipton for around 5-6 years and they’ve been incredibly accommodating of my situations. They’re willing to support you in any way possible which makes it a great place to work.
fun work place but stressful
the culture is great and everyone there is really friendly, however it can be really stressful and fast paced on busy days, and it can be hard dealing with difficult customers constatly
Good place to work but slow paced
Work culture is improving but they do pay lip-service to some aspects of modern work culture. Innovation is coming to some areas but is slow in others. The people are mostly lovely though.
Great place to work, with great people
Skipton building Society is a great place to work, they really try to put the customer first and also try thier best to look after thier employees development and mental health.
Great people, better culture. Some areas of development though...
SBS is a brilliant place to work for those who are looking to start out their career. There are plenty of opportunities in customer facing and non-customer facing roles for those looking for entry level positions and progression is a very realistic expectation if you demonstrate the right behaviours and work ethic.

Skipton employs great people who create a inclusive culture and this first big positive I took from working at SBS when I started out, how welcoming and friendly people were and this is still true today. Skipton has a very social culture too, particularly in the contact centre where celebration events throughout the year are major dates in the diary.

SBS is a little behind the times when it comes to processes, customer journey's and it's use of technology. Certain things are outdated, like the use of Grid Cards, which make the customer journey slow and more difficult than it should be whilst some internal processes are quite frankly ridiculous which hinder the customer journey even more. Its encouraging to see that SBS is challenging all of the above to make processes more streamlined, easier and better for colleagues and customers. Tech has always been a challenge for SBS and whilst they celebrate their customer video conferencing software being one of a kind (because it is), they are lacking in other areas i.e. the customer app. Admittedly this is in its infancy however the functionality of the app is minimal - The future could be bright though, if enough attention is paid in the right areas.
support.
My typical day at work is very stressful. They put a lot of pressure on you and which effects your mental health. I dont feel supported within my role and I wouldn't advise anyone to work here.
Good company with great advancement opportunities
Skipton is a great place to work , of you love being part of a small close knit team then o would highly recommend. Work can be slow occasionally but is a very friendly environment and enjoyed my time working here
Badly managed at all levels, lack of proper management of many situations.
Not told at interview how much outbound calling needed, branches quiet but ,sell to everybody. Inflexible manager , awful staff retention,good pension
Pros
Good pension scheme and holidays
Cons
Lack of staff and not helped by poor management of recruitment.
3 February 2020
We are sorry that you feel your experience overall in the time you were with Skipton didn’t meet your expectations.
Our business model is to create time for customers, and make them aware of the products and services which may help them improve their finances and their lives in general.

Due to the nature of our customer base, not all of them call into branches and as such part of our approach, which we know most customers welcome, is to stay in touch with them and that is sometimes by phone. We always position this in our selection processes.

Our colleague retention is something we’ve worked very hard on in recent years and is improving overall, though we know there are some local hotspots.

It's pleasing that you recognised our strong benefits package including Pension scheme and a generous holiday entitlement.

We wish you well in future.
grea tplace and the people make it
Great place, great culture would recommend to work here. Still needs modernising in certain areas, but is always looking forward and gives lots of opportunities to develop ideas into real life.
Nice place to work
Lovely people and room for advancement. Only downside is working Saturdays and low pay. Good benefits and pay can be boosted with a bonus but you are expected to work extremely hard for what you are paid.
challenging but very rewarding
a fantastic culture with lots of personal development opportunities. Programmes for leadership development and professional study. good salary packages with flexible working options
Enjoyed my time at Skipton, learnt a lot. Most enjoyable part was the people and culture. Fun, Empathetic and Team Players. Would look to go back in the future.
Would not work there again
Management were obsessed with targets, staff were pushed to sell . Targets were discussed everyday and if you didn't achieve them you were made to feel inadequate.
Would recommend
Super company to work for. Great staff and management and real concern for the staff. Pleasant working conditions. Obviously there is pressure to achieve targets but these are not unreasonable and achievable. Would still be there if I hadn't decided to retire!
The best company I’ve worked for, shame I am relocating
I would highly recommend if you live nearby to lookout for job opportunities and careers with Skipton.
If you are ambitious, keen and career minded but also passionate about doing the right thing and hold your human beliefs and values dearly, you will feel right at home. To me it’s one of the best kept secrets in Yorkshire in terms of great companies to work for.
Pros
Pension, holidays, flexible working, culture, embrace diversity
Cons
Work-life balance might be a tad skewed
8 October 2019
Thanks for your review and we really appreciate your feedback.

It is important to us that our values are evident in everything we do and it's great to hear you are happy with both our benefits and the working environment. With regards to work-life balance, we are working hard to offer flexible working as widely as possible, and colleagues are working flexible patterns such as condensed hours more than ever before. However, we recognise it has proved more challenging in some business areas, especially customer-facing, and will continue to work on this.

Tim Spackman

Head of Organisation Development
Time at Skipton
Brilliant, lovely company to work for. Work life balance was fantastic. management was brilliant and nurtured you into doing your best. Workplace culture was brilliant
Customer orientated
low footfall which usually means you struggle meeting your targets.

This has also a big impact on how engaged you can be.

The Society is always trying to do what is right for the customer.
It's a sales job dressed up as customer service
If you are contemplating a job at one of the branches just take a step back before you jump in.
Management are very clever in how they advertise the role. You don't 'sell' you promote products to help with supporting our members... In other words you push products by cold selling either over the phone or face to face.

You strike up a conversation not to be nice and actually develop a relationship but to purely sell. I preferred a slow burning relationship that was built over time. Not here, some quick small talk and then boom into the sales pitch.

Sometimes you would identify a need that justifies your sales pitch but most of the time your just annoying someone who just wants to take out some cash and doesn't want an interrogation about their savings etc.

For your dizzying 16.5K a year, you are expected to open up the branch, do the admin, sell products, engage in customer service, learn the products, keep up to date with the ever changing rules, open accounts, registering deaths and p.o.a, identify any financial advice needs, work the till, basic transactions and last but not least take on extra duties as if all that wasn't enough.

The pressure of selling and targets was subtle but ever present.

Left just shy of six months before my probation ended. Had enough with trying to learn the many rules of the financial sector but more due to the cold selling.

If your a go getter and happy to sell then Skipton will give you the support and tools to succeed.

Just make sure you go in with your eyes wide open and make sure you ask lots of questions in your interview.
Pros
Support from head office
Cons
Pay, sales job disguised as customer service
16 August 2019
We're sorry to hear that you feel you have had a poor experience working with Skipton.

Whilst we always welcome feedback, we don't recognise your interpretation of how Skipton help, support and inform our customers about our products and services. We are very proud of our customer-centric approach and of our No Pressure Promise which means we'll always give customers as much time as they need and never push them into any of our products and services. Our consistently high Customer Satisfaction feedback verifies that the majority of our customers appreciate our approach too.

We are also proud that, through colleague feedback, we have been voted one of The Sunday Times Best 100 Companies to Work For, for five years in a row.

We recognise the challenges that working in a regulated financial services environment can bring and that there is a significant amount of learning for new colleagues. As such, we are currently undertaking a review of how we recruit, on-board and support our new colleagues and recognise that we can make improvements to this process.
Progression is possible but ...
Very much a place where your face needs to fit to progress. They do favour younger people over older people whose skills are not appreciated so much.

You need to put in a lot of effort to obtain the higher bonus/pay rises which is not really sustainable and very dependent on the manager you have.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Constant Monitoring
Senior customer adviser
Worked for 9 years was a good company to work for ore values were lived and demonstrated daily by BM and RMs, RM changed and was very figures driven to the point of breaching the core values of what a building society stands for and regulation felt as taking a position to deter this was bullied into leaving would advise caution into joining if you are not a sales person driven purely on numbers and not on customer satisfaction which is preached from ho, but not by. The RMs. RM and mgrs very 2 faced in f2f very supportive but in real back stabbers and little support for the member of staff if not following what they want on the targets. Was so bad was on stress leave for 6 months due to the pressure and manipulation from so called supportive mgrs until I found another job. Would not recommend this employer if not figure driven and not customer focused RMs want this but not what they want through marketing and principle say otherwise.
Very 2faced in expectation and image portrayed.

Wary on joining, more banking structure than Building Society in expectations when mgrs with 15+ years are leaving due to RM know something is not working.
Pros
Had good fun with staff
Cons
Management and lack of confidence in what they did to actual core values if company
Cross Hills Branch
Working for a well established company not far from Head Office. Lovely environment in the heart of the community. Our branch has had a high turn over off staff but under new Management it has settled down and we have a great team now.
Pros
36 hour week/ some flexible working/ hour lunch/ Saturday working is only a couple of hours
Cons
Pay - but is anyone every happy with pay !?
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skipton Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.