Skipton Building Society Employee Reviews

Progression is possible but ...
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire13 April 2019
Very much a place where your face needs to fit to progress. They do favour younger people over older people whose skills are not appreciated so much.

You need to put in a lot of effort to obtain the higher bonus/pay rises which is not really sustainable and very dependent on the manager you have.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Constant Monitoring
Senior customer adviser
Senior Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City Centre, Nottinghamshire31 March 2019
Worked for 9 years was a good company to work for ore values were lived and demonstrated daily by BM and RMs, RM changed and was very figures driven to the point of breaching the core values of what a building society stands for and regulation felt as taking a position to deter this was bullied into leaving would advise caution into joining if you are not a sales person driven purely on numbers and not on customer satisfaction which is preached from ho, but not by. The RMs. RM and mgrs very 2 faced in f2f very supportive but in real back stabbers and little support for the member of staff if not following what they want on the targets. Was so bad was on stress leave for 6 months due to the pressure and manipulation from so called supportive mgrs until I found another job. Would not recommend this employer if not figure driven and not customer focused RMs want this but not what they want through marketing and principle say otherwise.
Very 2faced in expectation and image portrayed.
Wary on joining, more banking structure than Building Society in expectations when mgrs with 15+ years are leaving due to RM know something is not working.
Pros
Had good fun with staff
Cons
Management and lack of confidence in what they did to actual core values if company
Cross Hills Branch
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  cross Hills29 December 2018
Working for a well established company not far from Head Office. Lovely environment in the heart of the community. Our branch has had a high turn over off staff but under new Management it has settled down and we have a great team now.
Pros
36 hour week/ some flexible working/ hour lunch/ Saturday working is only a couple of hours
Cons
Pay - but is anyone every happy with pay !?
management question mental health
Inbound customer advisor (Former Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire29 October 2018
i was questioned on whether I was fit enough to work ( after being there for 3 months ?) because I had depression and PTSD. Worse job I ever had. Constantly asking you to do over times and having to do many late's and nearly every weekend. Its is all about hitting targets. Made to feel so uncomfortable by management and judged all the time.
Pros
Cons
long hours, low pay, bad management
16 November 2018

Thank you for your comments.

We're really sorry to hear that you felt your experience working at Skipton was not positive. We feel that we are very clear about our flexible contract policy and although we encourage overtime when required, to ensure our customers continue to receive the best possible service, it is not mandatory.

We also take the wellbeing of our colleagues seriously, and have a total of 70 colleagues who are accredited Mental Health First Aiders through an externally recognised programme. We encourage our colleagues to discuss any issues with their line manager or our qualified first aiders, and to make use of our Occupational Health and Employee Assistance Programme if it's ever needed.

Not some where I would work for a long time
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire10 July 2018
Currently working at head office in skipton.
I started here as a temp, at the beginning really enjoyed the job. Only had a week of
Training before being put on the phones answering calls from customers, quite stressful when insufficient training has been given. There are a lot of people who are willing to help, however you have to put customers on hold to ask questions, which then goes against your stats. I was told when i has an interview for the job that I would be doing one late a week and an occasional Saturday. This has not happened. Your on at least 2 lates a week and at least every other Saturday. The people who work there are really lovely people, and will help as much as they can, but I do think more training should be given, I haven’t been working at head office for long and already seen 6 people leave, 2 of which of who i started work with.
Also there is a 2 year waiting list to park on the car park for free. It costs £3.50 a day to park on a car park near by, not the best if you live over 45 mins away and already spending £40 a week on petrol.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Low pay. Paying for car park.
30 July 2018

At Skipton, we really do value our colleagues' feedback, and ensuring our colleagues receive the best welcome to the business and ongoing support will always be a priority for us.

We're delighted that you're settling in well with your work colleagues (we do pride ourselves on having close-knit teams). But, we're really sorry if in your experience, your training and preparation for starting your new role hasn't been as you'd have preferred. Ongoing training and development is a priority for us all at Skipton and we're focussed on continually improving this. I'd urge you to speak with your line manager in your next one to one to discuss your ongoing personal development.

Tom Girling, Head of Customer Contact

Amazing company to work for
Customer Review Adviser (Former Employee) –  Norwich8 July 2018
skipton building society is an amazing company to work for. unfortunately my branch was one that had to close and therefore I was made redundant, but I would happily go back within a heartbeat. they treat there staff extremely well, which then also reflects upon the customers.
I highly recommend skipton to work for.
Good Company
Customer Adviser (Former Employee) –  London18 May 2018
Was really a very good company to work for and really enjoyed my short time I spent therer as I was on a contract . My line manager was an amazing person to work for.
Dynamic and friendly
Contract Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Skipton18 May 2018
There is a real strong sense of community at Skipton, where you can very quickly go from spending time dealing with an Executive to sitting with the guys dealing with customers over the phone.

I liked the ambition within the company and the sense of understanding their purpose.

Set in the beautiful town of Skipton, it provides the chance to get out at lunch and breathe in fresh North Yorkshire air, meaning you feel completely invigorated for the challenges ahead.

I would recommend Skipton Building Society to anyone and would welcome the chance to work there again should the opportunity arise.
nice place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire5 February 2018
good place to work with great people, great progression ,poor salary. good skills an attributes gained as well as experience in a customer advising role.
Pros
good progression
Cons
salary
Fun workplace
CUSTOMER RELATIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire24 January 2018
I loved working here. Monday to friday 9 till 5.
Management very helpful and training excelant.
Wish i had never left other staff were very helpful and friendly.
6 February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your message, it's great to hear your comments. I agree this is a great place to work and we are incredibly proud of our inclusive culture, strong employee engagement and working environment that encourages everyone to perform at their best.

Sharon Addis,
Leader of Conduct and Customer Outcomes

A great place to work with lots of support
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Worcester25 September 2017
9 -5:30

Excellent training and support you really felt part of the bigger picture and what they wanted to achieve for their clients.

Team orientated as a work culture.

I was only there for a short while undertaking a pilot exercise, but the staff worked really hard and wanted to achieve great heights for Skipton.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people you worked with and the customers.
Pros
Great culture and focused on the customer
24 November 2017

It's heart-warming that, even in a short space of time, you recognised the authenticity of our customer-centric culture.

We completely agree that our greatest asset is our People and our very strong Colleague Engagement scores, as well as the Investors in People Platinum status we're very proud of, are just two affirmations of that.

Best of luck with the rest of your career.

Lee Holden - Divisional Manager

Good work culture
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire2 July 2017
Nice place to work with good employee benefits and a comfortable working environment. Lacking in long term career progression with the focus being mainly on creating people leaders.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Low salary
Would give 0 if I could.
Customer Adviser (Current Employee) –  Midlands17 June 2017
Management are appalling across regions and do not value their staff- very number driven and skipton use targets although claim not to. The staff turnover is high due to skipton pretending not to be target driven - most leave once they see what the role is really like! People are not valued unless targets are hit. Redundancies happen with staff being given one day before customers were to find out- this was a horrible way to treat loyal and hard working staff. Bullying is not dealt with properly and is covered up by management who don't wish to deal with conflict. The wage is not competitive. The training is non existent in a lot of cases leaving staff feeling unsupported- it is treated as a box ticking exercise. The management also do not value individuals - they simply want everyone to nod along and fit the mould- don't bother applying if you have a personality !!
Pros
Customers are wonderful
Cons
Poor management nation wide and stressful due to being treated badly
29 June 2017

Thank you for your feedback, we value views and comments from all our colleagues and are sorry to hear about your experience of working with Skipton.

Firstly, we do not tolerate bullying of any kind and would urge you to contact us at employeerelations@skipton.co.uk if you have experienced this or are aware of any forms of bullying.

As a company, recognised as a gold standard 'Investors in People', we are passionate about training; development and supporting our colleagues to achieve their true potential, but would welcome your ideas on how we can further improve this.

We're very transparent about our balance of commercial and customer/quality targets at branch level. These are not cascaded to individual team members, although everyone in the Society helps set their individual broad-ranging objectives.

The recent announcement in relation to a small number of branch closures and subsequent redundancies impacted both colleagues and customers. This was not an easy decision to make and many things were taken into consideration when considering the most appropriate way and time to deliver this message. We recognise how difficult and sensitive this has been and are working hard to support those impacted. We're very pleased that just a few weeks down the line, the vast majority of colleagues and customers who had initial concerns are in a much better place already.

Once again, we would invite you to contact our Employee Relations team if you wish to discuss this, or any other matter you have raised.

Lee Holden
Divisional Manager

Customer Adviser (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London11 June 2017
Good company to work for if finance is a passion for you. Skipton treat staff well and place a lot of time developing their people also to be proficient at their roles. Skipton definitely makes you feel like you matter.
Pros
Pension
Worst place ever
Mortgage broker call taker & new lending (Former Employee) –  Skipton23 April 2017
Took the job as a stopgap until I found something better. It's an awful place to work, the management are rubbish and have no skills at all.
You'll go far if you crawl up to them, and keep your mouth shut. Loads of people were sacked during the probation period and got no support at all.
Pros
Non
Cons
Poor pay, poor management
good workplace
review advisor (Former Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire22 April 2017
good workplace good progression. hard to speak to customers re review due to the fact rates are so low. All in all a good environment to work in with a good management team
Fantastic working environment
Treasury Settlements Assistant (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire30 March 2017
Great environment and company to work for with a good set of values. Great social events and team unity. Good potential for progression. Only downside is salary. Not competitive compared to other companies across the market.
Pros
Social life, Progression, Staff
Cons
Employee Benefits, Salary
Fun workplace
Customer Adviser (Former Employee) –  London30 March 2017
Generally working within a smaller team of people which allows you to form close relationships and have fun throughout the day. Good management at Skipton.
Good members of staff, customer focused
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire21 March 2017
I really enjoy working at Skipton Building Society, the people I have met and the skills I have gained are fantastic. As an orgainisation the ethics and their goal is great putting the customer at the forefront of everything they do. The only down side is the gross basic salary's and bonuses and also there is not much progression.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Pay and incentives
Extremely target driven
Full time employment (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London26 November 2016
please be aware that any customer facing role is essentially a sales role! Branches are targeted as well as individuals and one would question wether you are doing the right thing by the customer or just selling a funeral plan because you are low on legacy commission... The banking industry is changing and you are encouraged to speak to every customer that comes in the branch about ways to 'help' (sell a product) to. Everybody I met was really nice and head office seems like a very enjoyable place to work. Pay also competitive in comparison to other financial institutions, I would just ask as many questions as possible in your interview about the role...
Pros
Pay, days out to HO, the people, roadshows
Cons
Targets, working Saturdays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skipton Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Skipton Building Society Reviews by Location