Simmons & Simmons LLP Employee Reviews

Productive and a fun workplace
Partner (Former Employee) –  London9 October 2019
It was in my experience a firm where you had to work very hard which I did and with hard work comes success to reach the heights of an Equity Partner which enabled me to form a Construction Department supported by the Property Partners .Although a difficult time to work under pressure it was also a fun workplace as I instigated a number of events such as a Ski weekend and enjoyed making sure the support staff were properly recognised as well.A typical day would be arriving early to make sure all was in order for the day ahead particularly with clients in mind .
I learned a lot from management as to how to make sure the whole team works together for the ultimate aim of making a profit and being able to pay wages , salaries , other outgoings such as trainee solicitors secretaries and all the support issues that go to make a world class law firm.
The hardest part of the job was and is to keep the team ready and to make sure the clients received a good service .
The most enjoyable part of the day was and always is when the client says you have done a good job and I will come back and refer other clients to you and the firm in its various disciplines so as to share the work around the firm
Good company to work for, with varied workload
Billing Assistant & Rates Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2018
A large city law firm, which has a good team within the finance function. The team, although large in comparison to other companies I have worked for, were very supportive and offered guidance when required.
Pros
Good team to work with
Cons
Only offered temporary contracts at the time, no stability.
Not a great place to work in IT
IT staff (Current Employee) –  UK5 December 2017
I think the experience you would have at Simmons will depend in which department you are working. In IT there isn’t any leadership from senior managers and very little communication. The department seemed to work at a remove from the business at large.

I found that there is not any framework when it comes to people management at Simmons & Simmons. Therefore you might be lucky and get a supportive manager, or else you might be unlucky like I was and get a manager who didn’t seem to like having to deal with people.

If you are an IT professional I would advise you to try and find something in a more forward thinking, positive and dynamic environment.
Pros
Ok salary
Cons
No bonus, no payrise, negative uninclusive culture in IT
Fun workplace
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 October 2017
It was very educational and useful. When I worked at Simmons I was provided with the information needed to carry out my tasks to the best of my ability. Once I was given these information it was very easy. Therefore I would say Simmons is very resourceful.
Pros
Understood the world of law
Cons
Not. Variety of things to do
Friendly & Colloborative
Project Change Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 October 2017
TYPICAL DAY

Read and action urgent/important emails and reply to clients is my first priority
- Priortise my project "to-do's" - review my risks, issues and dependencies on all projects
- Sanity check of tasks, are they on track, identify any mitigating blockers
-Setup/attend project team meetings, go through project plan, requirements, outstanding tasks/actions from last mtg,, milestones, follow on actions, next steps etc..
- Communicate with Stakeholders and technical teams to ask/answer questions and report project status
- Motivate the team by being excited and positive about the project and new challenges. Praise team for their good work and listen to feedback, will keep them enthused!

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED

To ensure that everyone involved in the project i.e. Stakeholders, Technical Teams, Developers, IT Service Desk etc. has a clear understanding of the background i.e. why the project is happening, what the business objective, scope, benefits, timescale etc. is this will ensure the project outcomes are delivered.

WORKPLACE CULTURE

Friendly and relaxed environment. Key company goals are communicated which encourages staff to be driven. You can even wear jeans on "Dress Down Friday"! and dress down all summer which is nice :-)

HARDEST PART OF JOB

Managing multiple global projects and teams. However, I have learnt that by listing all my projects, timeline and due date, this has enabled me to break down tasks in smaller more manageable chunks which has made my life much easier over time.

MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF JOB

Working on the office relocation
  more... projects with multi-cultural people around the firm globally and travelling around Europe, Asia and Middle East.  less
Pros
Gym subsidy
Cons
No bonus
A leading international law firm
Secretary (Current Employee) –  City of London, Greater London30 July 2017
Simmons & Simmons is a world class international law firm and provides good training to offer you the opportunity to progress within the firm. I started as a temporary summer float without any legal experience and now, nearly 26 years' later, have improved my technical skills. A typical day includes monitoring emails/diaries and post (which also continues whilst bosses are out of the office); arranging meetings, lunches, dinners and booking conference rooms and travel arrangements accordingly. Answering the telephone and taking messages. Amending documents, correspondence and preparing slides for presentations. I also deal with day to day tasks such as filing, printing, entering time entries on the Rekoop system, scanning and billing.
Pros
Health insurance
Review
Senior Conflict Analyst (Current Employee) –  London10 August 2012
Working atmosphere is really good. There is a good work and life balance, and one would love to work without any botherations.
Pros
mixed xulture
Cons
no carrier opportunities