Shropshire Council Employee Reviews in Shrewsbury

Soul destroying
Technician (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire13 July 2019
Management make it clear when they don't like you.
Teams full of cliques that are cruel and eager to leave others out.
Management quick to snap at you when they're having a bad day and you've done nothing wrong.
Pros
Used to be a stable job, but your job is always on the line with government cuts
Cons
Hours at your desk being asked where you are going every time you need the bathroom
steady abd reliable
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire19 February 2018
I felt included and important
it was often challenging
sometimes it was boring
great location to work in, nice places to sit at lunch
varied offices, kept work interesting and taught me about the county I live in
Don't expect to hear back anytime soon
Theatre Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire25 September 2017
I have never been treated with such ignorance and unprofessionalism from an employer before working here. Took months to begin my job with no clear instruction on when I would start (In the end it took over 6 months from accepting the contract). This wouldn't have bothered me so much, if my management had actually been honest from the beginning and that I didn't need to make a living for myself.

Later after the waiting and now officially working, I discovered that my induction wasn't paid for because apparently I failed to hand in a starter pack which I hadn't even received. This was eventually paid for after various enquiries, but months after my payslip was due. Finally to top it all off, despite handing my notice months ago I am still waiting for word off my higher ups that they have even received it, resulting in me having to contact head office and speak to them directly.

As for the role itself, management barely spoke to me and were hardly supportive within my job role. Training that was promised in the interview was never provided and shifts left me feeling unfulfilled especially whilst having to deal with the situations as stated above. Hours were typically long with little to do unless it hit peak times.

Only work here if you like 0 hours, not getting paid your rightful hours worked and not being spoken to like an actual human being.
Cons
No communication at all
Promised so much
Income Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire18 September 2017
Started off great but after the Council merged with Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council, If your face didn't fit or you didn't bend over backwards, that was it.
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
Bad Management
Rewardingg place to work
Insight Officer (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire11 September 2017
Different service areas means working with a diverse range of people.
Always an opportunity to develop, learn new skills, different challenges and projects.
Good work life balance
Accountancy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire10 August 2017
Fab workplace, look after the employees, flexi time. Good work life balance, management look after the staff well. Near the town centre and near major road for access
Diverse and fun workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire11 July 2017
Management was a bit disjointed, but otherwise friendly and welcoming. Work day was lenient but challenging, providing a variety of challenges if you needed something different to do.
Nice people
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire9 April 2017
Good place to work as all of the departments are under the same roof and in the same building. However, there can be high caseloads and not all things transition smoothly. Great management/senior management team who are committed to improving things.
Pros
People
Cons
Hight turnover of staff
Loved Working here
Drug and Alcohol Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury12 November 2016
Working with people who are vulnerable and usually ostracised by the general public. Spending time in police stations, courts, prisons and probations settings working with clients to try and get the root of their addictions.
Cons
not enough funding.
Fair and interesting.
Adult and Children's social care advisor (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury13 August 2016
Enjoyable and fair place to work. No day is ever the same as the last and there is always a new challenge to face.
Senior staff are supportive and make help you achieve a work/ life balance.
lots personal development
Children Centre Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury13 April 2016
Lots of training courses to develop skills
Good Management support
Good team to work in
flexible working patern
Bonus holiday days
Pros
Distance traveling
Cons
good team
Fast Paced Environment
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, ENG1 February 2016
Fast paced, high presure environment, pushing change against a board and senior management that were a little resistent. Working with a loyal team, that could get most things done. Working alongside some key stakeholders and suppliers to move to Cloud and Flexible workforce. Hardest part of the job were the hours (bizzare for local government), the most enjoyable was recognition by peers.
Pros
Change
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and fast moving work environment
Schools' ICT Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, ENG9 January 2016
Continuous change culture
A public sector organisation facing unprecedented financial cuts that led t a pressurised working environment
Pros
Good pension and benefits
Cons
Conflicting and personal political views affect day to day work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, ENG21 November 2015
Fun place to work, lots of support and it is always a busy day in the office. My day to day jobs are taking phone calls, scanning and helping to maintain the register
Excellent to work for and colleagues are professional in all departments
Employment Officer (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury18 October 2015
Shropshire Council are an excellent organisation to work for. My role means I work mainly in the community but it involves multi agency working.
Pros
Flexible working to meet the needs of the service
Cons
Due the Council Budget having to be cut vacancies are fixed term
Good employer but not for long term.
Employment Officer (Current Employee) –  The Gateway, Shrewsbury6 October 2015
Although they are a good employer, the job security here now at the moment is less than is comfortable for most.

Good training and career opportunities if your in the right department.
A badly run local authority
Senior Trading Standards Officer (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury5 May 2015
A badly run local authority with weak and confused management. A significant history of employment law breaches in relation to redundancy and cutting pay rates for jobs below the average in other local authorities.

Staff are expected to work themselves to the bone with little in the way of thanks or encouragement.

Increasingly staff are asked to take on additional roles and responsibilities for which they have little training.

Senior management increasingly isolated from staff and there is considerable political interference in the day to day management of the authority beyond policy making and scrutiny.

An awful place to work
Pros
Cons
everything
Good secure working environment
Advisor, Adult Social Care + Childrens Social Care (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, ENG11 February 2015
Good working environment, typical of a rural local authority, TYpical day would include fielding questions from general public, taking referrals for adult social care, and child protection, management is well structured and helpful, co workers have integrity. Hardest part of the job is dealing with financial pressures on local government, the most enjoyable part of the job is helping people to remain safe, and get a better quality of life.
Pros
Secure working environment
Cons
Lack of funding for local government
A reasonable place to work under very difficult economic coditions.
Revenues Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury20 January 2015
I would deal with the day to day running of the Council Tax department, allocating work to staff and ensuring the telephone lines were adequately manned. I would be available to help staff with difficult and complex issues as well as dealing with difficult customers directly. I would also deal with general enquiries.

I would be able to authorise annual leave and deal with sickness absence if required.

I enjoyed working as part of a very hard working team and enjoyed helping and training staff to progress in their careers.
Fun and easy going pleace to work
Cleaning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, ENG8 January 2014
I had a great employment time with Shropshire Council. I had a great relationship with my colleagues and my manager. I had a lot of support off them all and I also helped and supported them. I loved the people I worked with and had a lovely manager.
Pros
excellent pay rate
Cons
not enough working hours