Shropshire Council

Shropshire Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom43 reviews
Busy office but interesting work.
Occasional difficult customers but easier to deal with as knowledge of the council's services improves.

Hours of work acceptable as well.
Grest job but people who work with you can make things more stressful, great to work with the children and learning new things and the training was good
Hospital team not very supportive to new starters. Not a good team to work with unless already qualified.
The supervision was not productive as it did not reflect on weaknesses and how to develop. No feed back as a net qualified on all observation of up to six months. The supervisor did not have enough experience on how and how to support AYSE candidates.
It's the local government! People are working to the best of their ability during lean times. Morale is low in some areas but overall the employees are creative, upbeat and keen to do a great job in the face of economic austerity. If you work for the council you have to be motivated by more than monetary reward. The hardest part is the cutbacks, meaning there are fewer resources (human and otherwise) whilst demands of the services are growing. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people and team ethos.
Management make it clear when they don't like you.
Teams full of cliques that are cruel and eager to leave others out.

Management quick to snap at you when they're having a bad day and you've done nothing wrong.
Pros
Used to be a stable job, but your job is always on the line with government cuts
Cons
Hours at your desk being asked where you are going every time you need the bathroom
shropshire council are good company to work for i worked as a kitchen assistant for Shropshire council in st leonards school i learnt a lot but unfortunatley the job was not for me, the hardest part of the job was getting everything done on time, the management was good i just didnt get on with some of the staff as i felt they were a little bit cliquey.
Pros
worked around my son who was in that school at that time.
Cons
getting everything done on time
Working for Shropshire Council is okay there is room for improvement but that can be said for any business, company or organiseation. One thing they need to work on is reliability and job security they start like most others promising they will make the Temp Staff perminant then once traing is finished say they can't due to cut backs.
Pros
Morning and afternoon paid 15 minute break
Cons
Job Security, Closed minded regarding improvements.
Works well around being a mum, rewarding working with different children. hardest part of your job is switching of and having a good work life balance.
I felt included and important
it was often challenging

sometimes it was boring

great location to work in, nice places to sit at lunch

varied offices, kept work interesting and taught me about the county I live in
I have never been treated with such ignorance and unprofessionalism from an employer before working here. Took months to begin my job with no clear instruction on when I would start (In the end it took over 6 months from accepting the contract). This wouldn't have bothered me so much, if my management had actually been honest from the beginning and that I didn't need to make a living for myself.

Later after the waiting and now officially working, I discovered that my induction wasn't paid for because apparently I failed to hand in a starter pack which I hadn't even received. This was eventually paid for after various enquiries, but months after my payslip was due. Finally to top it all off, despite handing my notice months ago I am still waiting for word off my higher ups that they have even received it, resulting in me having to contact head office and speak to them directly.

As for the role itself, management barely spoke to me and were hardly supportive within my job role. Training that was promised in the interview was never provided and shifts left me feeling unfulfilled especially whilst having to deal with the situations as stated above. Hours were typically long with little to do unless it hit peak times.

Only work here if you like 0 hours, not getting paid your rightful hours worked and not being spoken to like an actual human being.
Cons
No communication at all
Started off great but after the Council merged with Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council, If your face didn't fit or you didn't bend over backwards, that was it.
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
Bad Management
Different service areas means working with a diverse range of people.
Always an opportunity to develop, learn new skills, different challenges and projects.
Lots of training and support. Good health benefits. Friendly environment to work in. Always opportunities to further establish yourself higher in the organisation.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Unpaid overtime
Fab workplace, look after the employees, flexi time. Good work life balance, management look after the staff well. Near the town centre and near major road for access
Great little school kitchen with great potential. Staff were fantastic and the hours were term time only which was great but I needed more hours per day.
Pros
Term time only
Cons
Not enough hours
Management was a bit disjointed, but otherwise friendly and welcoming. Work day was lenient but challenging, providing a variety of challenges if you needed something different to do.
Good place to work as all of the departments are under the same roof and in the same building. However, there can be high caseloads and not all things transition smoothly. Great management/senior management team who are committed to improving things.
Pros
People
Cons
Hight turnover of staff
Working with people who are vulnerable and usually ostracised by the general public. Spending time in police stations, courts, prisons and probations settings working with clients to try and get the root of their addictions.
Cons
not enough funding.
Enjoyable and fair place to work. No day is ever the same as the last and there is always a new challenge to face.
Senior staff are supportive and make help you achieve a work/ life balance.
Lots of training courses to develop skills
Good Management support

Good team to work in

flexible working patern

Bonus holiday days
Pros
Distance traveling
Cons
good team
my day can be so varied and can change by the hour, I work in a school and enjoy working with young people, its great helping them reach their potential and see them start to enjoy education again and develop in to well rounded young people.
Working in education is fast paced and you are learning everyday its good to work within a close nit team and where you feel that when you go home you have helped a child to learn and feel that sense of belonging.