Shropshire Council Employee Reviews

Overall good place to work
Customer Service Adviser (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury6 August 2018
Working for Shropshire Council is okay there is room for improvement but that can be said for any business, company or organiseation. One thing they need to work on is reliability and job security they start like most others promising they will make the Temp Staff perminant then once traing is finished say they can't due to cut backs.
Pros
Morning and afternoon paid 15 minute break
Cons
Job Security, Closed minded regarding improvements.
Educating
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  sy4 5jz9 March 2018
Works well around being a mum, rewarding working with different children. hardest part of your job is switching of and having a good work life balance.
steady abd reliable
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire19 February 2018
I felt included and important
it was often challenging
sometimes it was boring
great location to work in, nice places to sit at lunch
varied offices, kept work interesting and taught me about the county I live in
Don't expect to hear back anytime soon
Theatre Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire25 September 2017
I have never been treated with such ignorance and unprofessionalism from an employer before working here. Took months to begin my job with no clear instruction on when I would start (In the end it took over 6 months from accepting the contract). This wouldn't have bothered me so much, if my management had actually been honest from the beginning and that I didn't need to make a living for myself.

Later after the waiting and now officially working, I discovered that my induction wasn't paid for because apparently I failed to hand in a starter pack which I hadn't even received. This was eventually paid for after various enquiries, but months after my payslip was due. Finally to top it all off, despite handing my notice months ago I am still waiting for word off my higher ups that they have even received it, resulting in me having to contact head office and speak to them directly.

As for the role itself, management barely spoke to me and were hardly supportive within my job role. Training that was promised in the interview was never provided and shifts left me feeling unfulfilled especially whilst having to deal with the situations as stated above. Hours were typically long with little to do unless it hit peak times.

Only work here if you like 0 hours, not getting paid your rightful hours worked and not being spoken to like an actual human being.
Cons
No communication at all
Promised so much
Income Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire18 September 2017
Started off great but after the Council merged with Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council, If your face didn't fit or you didn't bend over backwards, that was it.
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
Bad Management
Rewardingg place to work
Insight Officer (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire11 September 2017
Different service areas means working with a diverse range of people.
Always an opportunity to develop, learn new skills, different challenges and projects.
Relaxed but professional work place
Day Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Day centre in Oswestry23 August 2017
Lots of training and support. Good health benefits. Friendly environment to work in. Always opportunities to further establish yourself higher in the organisation.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Unpaid overtime
Good work life balance
Accountancy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire10 August 2017
Fab workplace, look after the employees, flexi time. Good work life balance, management look after the staff well. Near the town centre and near major road for access
Fun and great atmosphere
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shropshire11 July 2017
Great little school kitchen with great potential. Staff were fantastic and the hours were term time only which was great but I needed more hours per day.
Pros
Term time only
Cons
Not enough hours
Diverse and fun workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire11 July 2017
Management was a bit disjointed, but otherwise friendly and welcoming. Work day was lenient but challenging, providing a variety of challenges if you needed something different to do.
Nice people
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire9 April 2017
Good place to work as all of the departments are under the same roof and in the same building. However, there can be high caseloads and not all things transition smoothly. Great management/senior management team who are committed to improving things.
Pros
People
Cons
Hight turnover of staff
Loved Working here
Drug and Alcohol Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury12 November 2016
Working with people who are vulnerable and usually ostracised by the general public. Spending time in police stations, courts, prisons and probations settings working with clients to try and get the root of their addictions.
Cons
not enough funding.
Fair and interesting.
Adult and Children's social care advisor (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury13 August 2016
Enjoyable and fair place to work. No day is ever the same as the last and there is always a new challenge to face.
Senior staff are supportive and make help you achieve a work/ life balance.
lots personal development
Children Centre Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury13 April 2016
Lots of training courses to develop skills
Good Management support
Good team to work in
flexible working patern
Bonus holiday days
Pros
Distance traveling
Cons
good team
work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ellesmere17 March 2016
my day can be so varied and can change by the hour, I work in a school and enjoy working with young people, its great helping them reach their potential and see them start to enjoy education again and develop in to well rounded young people.
Working in education is fast paced and you are learning everyday its good to work within a close nit team and where you feel that when you go home you have helped a child to learn and feel that sense of belonging.
Fast Paced Environment
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, ENG1 February 2016
Fast paced, high presure environment, pushing change against a board and senior management that were a little resistent. Working with a loyal team, that could get most things done. Working alongside some key stakeholders and suppliers to move to Cloud and Flexible workforce. Hardest part of the job were the hours (bizzare for local government), the most enjoyable was recognition by peers.
Pros
Change
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and fast moving work environment
Schools' ICT Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, ENG9 January 2016
Continuous change culture
A public sector organisation facing unprecedented financial cuts that led t a pressurised working environment
Pros
Good pension and benefits
Cons
Conflicting and personal political views affect day to day work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, ENG21 November 2015
Fun place to work, lots of support and it is always a busy day in the office. My day to day jobs are taking phone calls, scanning and helping to maintain the register
Excellent to work for and colleagues are professional in all departments
Employment Officer (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury18 October 2015
Shropshire Council are an excellent organisation to work for. My role means I work mainly in the community but it involves multi agency working.
Pros
Flexible working to meet the needs of the service
Cons
Due the Council Budget having to be cut vacancies are fixed term
Good employer but not for long term.
Employment Officer (Current Employee) –  The Gateway, Shrewsbury6 October 2015
Although they are a good employer, the job security here now at the moment is less than is comfortable for most.

Good training and career opportunities if your in the right department.