Shop Direct Employee Reviews

Moving forward innovatively
Central Administrator and Buying Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside31 January 2019
Great place to work with opportunities to match. The business went through a huge transformation and is on track to competing side-by-side with their competitors in all aspects especially in terms of its benefits and rewards on offers for its employees.
Pros
wide opportunity for career development within both head offices
Cons
business is still undergoing changes but that is with any company really
Productive workplace
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside15 January 2019
A typical day at work would be non stop calls and being able to sell the buy now pay later scheme at every given opportunity.
As I was only 18 when I began, working with older people allowed me to see different ways to interact in the workplace and how to effectively and efficiently get the task done.
The management was good and they gave me constant feedback which helped me excel.
Hardest part of the job was the constant calls coming through and not having time to compose yourself from one call to the next.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the bonuses that could be achieved if you met your targets.
It's a Family Affair
Order Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Little Hulton, Greater Manchester5 August 2018
Very young workforce, many of them related to few "old retainers " and management. Target driven culture, targets are more important than Health & Safety, eg you are expected to handle a 2 person lift on your own, they will get rid of you if you refuse to pick up a 20kg item, as that is what has just happened to me. Also the management show favouritism to their nieces and nephews, who often are the "top pickers", they even buy them apples as a reward! These privileged "top pickers" will often go snitching on new starters for not being perfect, so beware. Management also show a world weary attitude, as the operation is moving to the East Midlands in 2020 and will be almost fully automated. Current workforce look like they're either exhausted or not interested, not friendly unless you are one of their clique. I wish you all a pleasant onward journey . . . . . .
Pros
Clocking off
Cons
Not being related to management.
Loved working here
Replenishment Staff (Former Employee) –  Shaw, Greater Manchester16 January 2019
It's hard work, but once you get used to it it's not too bad.
The canteen is OK and majority of the shop direct staff are absolute diamonds.
Management are full of false hope!
I never had a day off, never called in sick, never went home early, was never late.
I did every bit of overtime available, worked through my breaks, worked Xmas eve, boxing day, New years eve & New years day and still got laid off.
I Loved working here, just a shame I never got kept on.
Pros
Good pay, staff are great
Cons
The company has no loyalty
Hard work. Good fun
Manager (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire1 October 2018
I managed a fantastic sales team who were hard working but fun. We had daily and weekly meetings during which I encouraged the team to voice their ideas or concerns. The day was set to achieve sales and cross sales targets. It also included dealing with complaints and call monitoring to ensure compliance was continually met. It was a great environment to learn how to manage telesales teams as a group and on an individual basis. The other sales managers were very helpful and developed trust in me as I was often asked to manage their teams during periods of sickness and holidays. The upper management communicated well by daily and monthly appraisal meetings. The work place culture was hard work with rewards for hitting and exceeding targets. There was a continual culture of training and coaching. The most difficult part of the job was maintaining compliance levels on insurance cross sales as the rules seem to change constantly often without communication. My whole team had numerous monthly targets to achieve including compliance. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with my team on reward days that were given as incentives when targets were exceeded.
Pros
Bonus incentives
Cons
Poor communications verbal and written
good place to work
Warehouse Operative-Blue Arrow (Former Employee) –  Arrow, UK7 January 2019
a typical day included packing customer orders ready for shipping,
management were fine and fair with us, the workplace culture is fairly helpful towards staff with any problems.
Pros
free snacks such as crisps or fruit
Cons
fairly boring work
Good pay for temp
Night Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester31 December 2018
Christmas temp. good pay with lots of overtime. great to cash in some extra cash. Really friendly management and show appreciation for hard work. unsociable hours but it's what you signed up for
Fun!
warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Shaw and Crompton, Greater Manchester13 January 2019
The work is very simple, managers can be relaxed depending on situation. Radio is stuck on Heart, seems to play the same song everyday at the same time, but you'll get used it since you can only hear bits of it throughout the day. The work staff are very lovely, I never had a problem with shop direct apart from a couple of payment issues with my agency but they sorted it straight away.
Pros
Free Fridays
Cons
Only allowed to go outside for cigerette at dinner (11:45am)
Challenging but thoroughly rewarding place to work
Customer Service / Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Newtown, Powys11 February 2019
We had a great culture, always looking at the wider business and giving constructive feedback on systems, processes and procedures, with many suggestions taken forward and implemented
Pros
Just a great place to work
Cons
Site closures at the time
Productive and creative atmosphere
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside8 December 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Shop Direct. Clear and well organised management structure that ensures a productive and creative atmosphere.
Good environment to work and grow
Payment Negotiator Liverpool (Current Employee) –  Liverpool12 November 2018
Lots to learn and long days but surrounded by good people and ability to grow within the company. Alot more involved than just taking payments over the phone and chasing money. Actually helping the customers out and providing them with different solutions.
Pros
Talking to all kinds of different people on daily basis
Cons
Long days
Good company with great staff
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Liverpool20 October 2018
SDG was a great place to work with a wide variety of people on cross platform projects.
It all worked because everybody cared, engaged and cooperated when it mattered.
The necessary changes in structure following the ascent of online shopping was well handled.
Pros
Interersting people, good work challenges, decent pay
Cons
Long distance between locations.
The Best Place to Work
Cleaning Operative (Former Employee) –  Oldham18 July 2018
As a cleaner at Shop Direct, a typical day's work involved cleaning the canteen, emptying bins and cleaning toilets as well as other duties like litter picking and warehouse cleaning.

For me, the hardest part of any job is giving 100% each day throughout the week; that's what I admire most about anyone who works hard - their consistency to keep on going. Working around other people in the warehouse or with my team of cleaners always gave me the energy I needed to complete the day successfully.

The most enjoyable part of the job was simply being there.
Pros
the work, being around other workers, the atmosphere
Cons
having to leave
Fantastic place to start off your working life.
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Shaw16 September 2018
Shop Direct is a fantastic place for your first job. When I started first, I shy and nervous but during my time at Shop Direct I have gain confidence in decision making, started to make new friends and enjoy working together as a successful team. The managers are great, easy to approach. it's a lovely busy envioment to work in.
Pros
high wages
Cons
short breaks
From Shop Direct to Littlewoods
Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester6 August 2018
Loved working here. Even through the transition and takeover.
The team I worked with and the management where great.

Hardest part of the job was encouraging other that change is for the best.

Meeting targets and producing high volume sales publications; catalogues and leaflets.
Very good
Picker (Former Employee) –  Shaw, Greater Manchester20 January 2019
awesome working environment friendly staff. only downfall is that staff can get laid of fairly easy. Managers and trainers are easy to get along with and are always there to help.
fun work place
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Shaw, Greater Manchester21 December 2018
a 1typical day working here was packing items that customers had ordered and sending them down to yodel for them to be delivered. it was a friendly environment.
Fun and friendly workplace
Customer Service Advisor, Serco (Current Employee) –  Cardiff17 November 2013
I work with great people and great management, I love helping my colleagues and customers and also enjoy the role of my current job. I have learnt how to deal with difficult customers and also difficult queries. The hardest part of my job is trying to look for information for my customers that we have not been trained to previously, all of our customers queries are different and sometimes does take a lot more time than other queries if the customer then wants to know more information about their query. The most enjoyable part of my job is successfully helping the customers and making our customers happy.
Pros
Meeting friendly people and salary.
Cons
long hours.
worked with a great team
Business process trainer (Former Employee) –  Aintree Liverpool18 October 2018
Great team work and great managers. Able to work overtime. Team building days. Regular feedback on reviews. Extra training when required. Nice working environment.
productive
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Shaw9 October 2018
It was not for me however the people there were fantastic. And the teaching was excellent however i could not find myself to work in a warehouse and find it enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shop Direct. Our community is ready to answer.