Shoosmiths

Shoosmiths Employee Reviews

United Kingdom48 reviews
A busy, past-paced working environment. A busy office inhabiting several areas of business. Working within a large team, achieving individual and company goals. Completing a heavy workload within a specific time allocation.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Shoosmiths LLP, due to the exciting and fast-paced environment; there is always something to learn and always something to do, and experience which can be very rewarding. The teams I worked with and around were nothing but nice and I believe I have made life long friends in the process of working there.
Pros
Good Pay, Friendly Co-Workers, Ability to Ask Questions.
Cons
Commute Can Be Long, Traffic Can Be Bad.
Management don't seem to care about you. The team I was on was appalling and management told me it was my attitude and to sort it out myself! Not only that but I was expected to do work I've never even been trained for! When I tried to do it I was told I'm trying to hard with the clients.....I felt like I couldn't win. Eventually I was forced out. Never work here!
My time at Shoosmiths was very enjoyable and challenging to say the least. When working with big and with even bigger brains, you do need to be resiliant and thick skinned.
I thoroughly enjoyed working at this firm. If I hadn't had to leave due to needing my redundancy payment to pay for my daughter's master's degree I would still be there.
I was excited about working here in theory. They're very boastful of their achievements and great working environment on their website.
It's a shame it didn't work like that in practice.

During my time there (less than a year) I experienced and/or witnessed:

- Certain staff being prioritised and treated more favourably than others due to explicit favouritism, friendship and/or familial relations.

- Inappropriate personal questions being asked about my sexuality.

- Personal information that should have been taken to HR in confidence being spoken about to/by other employees.

- Workplace bullying (I was deliberately ignored and ostracised by certain members of staff, and at one point my social media accounts were being literally stalked by people within my own team trying to prove that I was saying incriminating things about the company or people I worked with).

- Concerns being outright dismissed when brought to HR: including the aforementioned social media stalking, as well as being treated like a second-class citizen because I was just support staff, and the toxic culture of gossip and backstabbing that was rampant in the office, which I was told was all "just part of working in an office."

- Support staff being spoken to like dirt and made to act like skivvies, and clearly viewed as being beneath the managers and solicitors. During my time working there I witnessed no fewer than 4 members of support staff leave.

- Shifty wage practices? Someone in my team who was meant to have the same job titles as me but ended up in a slightly different position was being paid
 - more...
Unfortunately I felt I had to move on from shoosmiths due to salary and no career progression. I had spent many years working my way up to the highest step on the ladder and reached my peak and as such felt it was needed for my progression to move on elsewhere. I’d recommend this company to anyone they’re such a pleasure to work for, staff included and they really value employees
I feel there is no future for a graduate within Shoosmiths.

The work is menial and repetitive, the salary is ridiculously low and there is such low retention of staff, you will end up working many hours of unpaid overtime to keep up with the impossible workload, all for minimum wage and no progression.
first of all, if the job says paralegal or case handler. they mean debt collector.

the pay is low and progression is rare and based on if you manage to befriend your manager. some managers do their job great and fairly, others will not even speak to you. i’ve shared about 5 words with my line manager and she did not even greet me when i started. so
A nice environment to work in. Days pass quickly and the work is varied. Lots of people always around if you need any support. Work hard and you will do well.
typical day would involve a large pile of paper work along with high volume of stressful calls coming in to deal with.
a lot of gossip and talking behind backs

getting pointed in every direction when asking for help
Shoosmiths is a good company to work for. The staff are very friendly and everyone is very helpful.

The company’s welcome day is very good and gives you an insight into other departments.
A busy friendly working environment where everyone from the support staff to partners are very approachable and helpful. A great Firm for additional training and further career opportunities.

A hard working firm with a good social activities.
I was made to feel like I'm worthless, their advertisement states that there is a lack of hierarchy but that is untrue. team were very rude and unhelpful and looked down on me. They did not make any effort to get to know me. I was left alone for long periods. Was given one task, but was told to do that task in ten different ways as every Individual in the team did it a different way. But then somehow it's all my fault or that I am not picking it up.

One girl made me pick up her folders off the floor right near her feet for filing. I didn't mind the filing however She made no effort to walk two inches and just leave them on the cabinet for me to put away. I was subject to very degrading treatment. This does definitely not represent a respectful work environment nor suggests teamwork.

The highest up manager gave me a evil look after I had rearranged all of the teams filing in the right order as only one folder was in the wrong place. That particular folder was put away by somebody else after I had rearranged them all. Rather than thanking me or even acknowledging that I rearranged them all she blamed me for this and even questioned if I had done the task. I felt unappreciated and that I had let her down even though I had made such an effort. I then told her that I had not put it there she then said it was me, I did not continue and just said ok as obviously I have no right to argue against someone "so senior".

I was supposed to see HR for a intro to the firm but was not met by her until the third day. She was even late to see me on the day as she was busy gossiping
 - more...
Pros
Nice selection of drinks
Cons
Everything else
Very low salary and high expectations for job role. Very busy and feel like i was just another number rather than an individual person. High turnover in staff
When I worked there in the 90's caseloads were very high which meant a lot of hard work. I found the atmosphere a little clicky and often friends of the managers would get the best cases and the promotions.
Pros
Close to my then home
Cons
No career progression if not in the know
Worked in the Manchester office for a year and a half. There are some really hard working people at Shoosmiths who are lovely and put all their effort into the job but they are not rewarded for this and often made to feel that they are fighting a losing battle when it comes to trying to progress. Your loyalty to Shoosmiths doesn’t mean anything even if you have worked there for a substantial amount of time. There are far better places around Manchester to work where in the long run you will be better off as you will feel supported and valued rather than as though you are of financial value and nothing more. Would never work here again!
Pros
New office
Cons
Culture, lack of support, pay, lack of progression
My current position has been tailored to suit my family commitments. My part-time role has allowed for child care two days a week. Friendly, helpful.
Pros
Consistency
Cons
Been in the role for a long time
The job in itself was enjoyable and I learned to be more assertive in myself and back my experience and training.

I gained further experience at building relationships with senior figures
I've worked at Shoosmiths for over five years and can honestly say it's the most supportive place I've ever worked. The training provided is great, and ongoing. Everyone is so approachable and down to earth. We're kept well informed of any updates and future plans by our CEO and always feel a part of the bigger picture.
Pros
Great benefits such as a birthday day off, £50 vouchers, flexible holiday, work/life balance, training, volunteering day of your choice
The company was nice to work with but there wasn't much room for progression. Staff members were friendly and helpful and they're late night/ time in lieu scheme was really good!