Shoosmiths Employee Reviews

Underpaid job
Trainee case handler (Former Employee) –  Northampton, UK4 December 2018
Very low salary and high expectations for job role. Very busy and feel like i was just another number rather than an individual person. High turnover in staff
Not as good as it seems
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester22 June 2018
Worked in the Manchester office for a year and a half. There are some really hard working people at Shoosmiths who are lovely and put all their effort into the job but they are not rewarded for this and often made to feel that they are fighting a losing battle when it comes to trying to progress. Your loyalty to Shoosmiths doesn’t mean anything even if you have worked there for a substantial amount of time. There are far better places around Manchester to work where in the long run you will be better off as you will feel supported and valued rather than as though you are of financial value and nothing more. Would never work here again!
Pros
New office
Cons
Culture, lack of support, pay, lack of progression
Perfect Life Balance
Facilities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham19 June 2018
My current position has been tailored to suit my family commitments. My part-time role has allowed for child care two days a week. Friendly, helpful.
Pros
Consistency
Cons
Been in the role for a long time
Account executive (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 April 2018
The job in itself was enjoyable and I learned to be more assertive in myself and back my experience and training.

I gained further experience at building relationships with senior figures
A great culture and place to work
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northampton20 March 2018
I've worked at Shoosmiths for over five years and can honestly say it's the most supportive place I've ever worked. The training provided is great, and ongoing. Everyone is so approachable and down to earth. We're kept well informed of any updates and future plans by our CEO and always feel a part of the bigger picture.
Pros
Great benefits such as a birthday day off, £50 vouchers, flexible holiday, work/life balance, training, volunteering day of your choice
Nice place to work
Customer Care Team Review Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton7 March 2018
The company was nice to work with but there wasn't much room for progression. Staff members were friendly and helpful and they're late night/ time in lieu scheme was really good!
enjoyable
Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire31 July 2017
Good training helpful colleagues

Organised good communication training

treated with £50 voucher on your birthday

clean offices

Friendly colleagues
Pros
good hours
Cons
low salary
Northampton
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Northampton1 July 2017
Great law firm, well established and reputable. Friendly atmosphere in the office and great people to work with. Management are very easy to work with and friendly.
Unsupportive and pressured
Case Handler (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 May 2017
Initially jarring as you are thrown into work without much familiarisation with the various systems used or sufficient training on various procedures. They seem to do this because they want you to learn on the job which to an extent is a good idea but sufficient training would stop new starters from feeling like a hindrance to colleagues when asking for more support.

They will try to stretch you by giving you more work than is realistic. The upside of this is that the day goes relatively quickly, but the downside is that it can leave you feeling like you're just not up to the job. That in addition to the fact that you are paid peanuts for what should be paid at least £5k more is quite demoralising.

Overall, I found the experience enlightening and a good opportunity to learn, if not an opportunity that was far more difficult and painful than it had to be if there was the correct support and training in place.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unsupportive, high pressured, low pay.
fun and friendly place to work
Real Estate Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Reading, UK17 April 2017
Good work life balance
good supervision of juniors
social firm
excellent workplace culture and friendly team
great development opportunities
top clients
Firm's reputation is well deserved
Assistant Case Handler (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire1 April 2017
Shoosmiths conveyancing department is a busy location and is generally a good place to work. There are no quiet periods and the work is demanding. The firm expects a lot from its case handlers, and as conveyancing requires great attention to detail and gives relatively low financial reward, the work can be somewhat thankless. Managers generally do a good job of keeping up morale and identifying and supporting workers who are struggling to achieve as much as they need/ would like to accomplish professionally or on a day by day basis. The working environment is essentially dominated by women. Fridays, with the charity collections, dress down and usually many completions is both the best and worst day of the week. I have been very well trained and the training manager is knowledgeable and empathetic.
Pros
£50 voucher for your birthday, charity work, location is beautiful
Cons
High work load
friendly and professional
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire30 March 2017
• Developed clear understanding of stock management and auditing.
• Organised and distributed electrical equipment to over 900 employees.
• Liaised with O2 and negotiated contracts for each employee.
• Used initiative to update the old filing system to an online platform.
Mixed
Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire28 March 2017
At times Shoosmiths is a great place to work and we are able to have a relaxed atmosphere in the office which I believe is requiered for the type of work we undertake. However, it is easy to feel underappreciated and that no consideration is taken for the people doing the work when implimenting changes or plans.
Ok
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire13 March 2017
I do enjoy working at Shoosmiths, however, the con's outweigh the Pro's. For example, the benefits are great, however the pay is appalling, I can't pay my rent with vouchers
Productive and insightful
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire3 March 2017
Every day at Shoosmiths was a different day - working through various different tasks and gaining invaluable experience.
Good environment
PA (Current Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands25 February 2017
Shoosmiths looks after its employees, particularly fee earners and management. The Birmingham office is impressive and a great environment but sadly the plan is for agile working. In the main, staff tend to stay here. Workplace culture is vibrant. Plenty of scope for support staff advancement. Support staff could be better supported by management.
Pros
Perks, environment
Cons
Agile working plan, support staff need more support
productive nice place to work great atmosphere
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands23 February 2017
Great place to work great people

most enjoyable part of my job was working alongside some of my team this is great company and is really going places.

shame i had to leave due to management misunderstanding
Pros
n/a
Cons
N/a
Part time experience
Claims Handler (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire23 January 2017
Shoosmiths colleagues were fairly welcoming in comparison to management who were very welcoming. Working environment was fair as I only worked part time out of hours.
Fantastic experience
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire5 January 2017
I really enjoyed the work and the progression within the team during my 8 1/2 years there. Unfortunately my role was not compatible with the part time hours I requested to work.
fun and supportive
Estates Assistant/ Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 December 2016
day to day I would do copying,
scanning,
binding,
mail collecting and distributions,
reception cover,
meeting rooms set up,

They were a brilliant company to work for and had to leave due to personal circumstances.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoosmiths. Our community is ready to answer.