Shoe Zone Employee Reviews

Very bad management
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford9 August 2018
Typical day at work is serving customers and helping them find what they require.I have learned nothing from the managerI didn't already know. I did go to another branch for training as I felt I had more to learn about the service I was giving for the company.the hardest part is not being able to input anything. The best part of my day at shoezone is going home.
Pros
Discount on footwear
Cons
Long hours plus not being appreciated for the work I do
productive
Manageress (Current Employee) –  Bletchley, Buckinghamshire9 August 2018
my day starts by opening up the till and making sure the money balances from the previous day. I then make sure that the shelves are stocked and presentable ready for opening. once the shop is open I serve the customers with the products they wish to purchase, ensureing they have obtained everything they wished to buy today. I have learnt that if you treat your customers with politeness and respect you will get the same in return, and this also has your customer leaveing the shop with a smile on their face and wanting to return again. I work with staff of different ages and race, and we all respect one another and cultures.
the hardest part of our job is delivery day as we have to carry our delivery up 2 flights of stairs.the most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with and meeting new people everyday with our customers.
Pros
free work shoes twice a year
Cons
low pay rate
Bad pay no bonus structure work hours on end for ffree
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wales30 July 2018
Worst place I’ve ever worked
No incentives,no bonus scheme,managers allowed control of nothing
Expect to constantly work hours you don’t get paid for and if management don’t expect a lunch break
Set day off per week given to you area manger will take rotas off you when they want and change staff hours at the drop of a hat
no air con in any shops freezing in winter unbearable in summer customers walk in and straight back out even bring us drinks and take pity on us
Save yourself the biggest mistake and don’t put yourself through it
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, Long unpaid extra hours weekly, poor work conditions, no work life balance
Beginner job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London29 July 2018
customer service, maintenance, replenishment, cash handling, stock functions.
Very repetitive can be unfulfilling but team make the job bearable at times.
Pros
Cons
minimum wage, short shifts
not bad job
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon22 July 2018
when i start the jobs its so gud every day is gud day and i learned gud customer service and management is gud hardest part of job is when is so quite and ur time is stop i like to be busy so enjoyable is talk with customer is such a fun
Pros
half hours
Cons
8hours
Good to begin with, but eventually worsens.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 July 2018
In the beginning, working for Shoe Zone was great: it was really busy due to it being the summer holidays so there was a lot to do. This busy period lasted for a while, but eventually, the store became quieter and there were fewer tasks to do during the shift. Most of the time I found that I was just getting paid to stand there and do nothing.

Moreover, the customers were actually quite rude to us staff members - I had shoes thrown at me, I had been spat at by a customer and I had been sworn at constantly for countless reasons. The staff members in the shop also became gradually ill-mannered as time went on. After I handed my notice in, the staff acted incredibly unprofessionally - on some of my shifts, they refused to speak to me for the whole day.

At the shop itself, there were no zero security measurements, aside from the security alarms that you usually find at the door of a shop. No CCTV; no nothing. We didn't even have a door at the front of the shop, and there were no working heaters, so imagine how cold the shop would have been during the winter. It was awful - on one shift I actually had to wear my coat because it was that cold, and I had three customers offer to buy me a hot drink. I had gotten ill from the lack of heating during the winter and my managers and colleagues couldn't care less.

Shoe Zone is good if you want to gain the retail experience, but for long time work, I wouldn't recommend it. The working environment is actually quite toxic, the pay is actually quite low per hour and you'll just have more stress than you need to while working there.
Pros
25% discount on shoes, good for retail experience
Cons
Rude customers, rude staff members, no security measurements, not a great pay
strenuous and unrewarding
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire18 July 2018
Overall, Shoe Zone is a good job to begin with if you have no prior experience in retail. At my store, there are no security measures such as Security tag scanners or CCTV, meaning you become a lot more vigilant and aware or your surroundings, qualities needed when you inevitably move on to a better and higher paying job. The managers and supervisors are real people who like to talk generally and are very supportive, however, they treat you like work horses and want you to do a lot of the gritty work like running up the stairs and getting on your hands and kneess to pointlessly wipe the bottom of racks which are not visable to customers anyway. To me, it felt like a massive imbalance that I would never be paid more than minimum wage whist doing an identical jobs to someone who was only 2/3 years older than me, and when other employers can offer you more £ p/h and more hours, its no wonder why the company go through so many staff, apart from the ones which arent comfortable to go out of their comfort zone. I was frequently denied holiday time and got a disciplinary when I had to go to hospital and requires a month or two off work as I physically was unable to do work, whilst it was ok for for management to dangle the “more hours” carrot infront of my to keep me at the store then taking it away from me at the last instant, its a joke that I need to give 12 weeks notice for any holiday time when they can seem to take hours away from me in an afternoon. When I finally got offered a new job to with better hours and money, i informally made my management aware of my decision but agreed  more... to work the remainder of my shifts instead of handing my weeks notice in and leaving them during a staff shortages.The treatment I got after this I though was very unprofessional as staff frequently refused to greet me when I arrived or be cooperative in any sense, I have seen toddlers on a playground squabble in a better manner than Shoe Zone. In conclusion, dont expect to be in this job for the long term, take it as an experience of what life can really be like, unrewarding and a lot of hard work.  less
Pros
Gives you a good work ethic, customer tollerance and interaction
Cons
Not enough hours (if not full time), rude customers, no proper security initiatives, gossiping, being undervalued, minimum wage
Good for experience
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire9 July 2018
It was a good experience for me because i got to do all of the things that a normal worker would be doing and I was good at it and learnt fast. The manager of that particular store took me on a introduction tour of the store then soon after the workers came and showed me around and in more.
Pros
free lunches
Productive Workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands27 June 2018
While i am working here i am finding it really fun because the staff are so nice and friendly. Everything what i am doing around the work place i am enjoying every moment also gaining a lot of skills and experiencing while being on this job.
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  London25 June 2018
A typical day at Shoe Zone was full of laughter and hard work and what I learnt each day of working there was knowing how to speak to customers in a very acceptable manner and making sure you are looking around the shop for no one to steal anything. knowing how to manage your time is also very important when working. having different backgrounds working at Shoe Zone was very fun because I had the chance to know more about other peoples culture. The hardest part of working at Shoe Zone was making sure you know when your turn was to clean the toilet so that it wont be left messy. The most enjoyable part was seeing the customers happy with you.
Never a dull day
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Havant24 June 2018
Polite and friendly team members that were always keen to help and teach me. I never felt as if i was chucked in at the deep end and always felt comfortable.
Great company to work for, difficult staff
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire22 June 2018
I have worked at this store for over eight years, and have always found it a pleasure. The hours I work are sociable and I really enjoy interacting with customers, trying to provide the best possible service. I recently had to fill in as the manager for a number of weeks whilst the store was in the process of employing a new one. I hadn't been trained as a manager, but took on the responsibility to ensure the store kept running smoothly. In this role I had to keep stock levels up, delegate duties to my colleagues, deal with the stores takings and banking. I also had to create rotas for the staff and handle any of the problems and/ or requests.

As of late, the attitudes of some staff members have changed for the worse, it is much better to work in an environment where my colleagues' views and practices are more in-line with mine. This is, amongst other things, one of the main factors in my search for new employment.
Pros
christmas bonus, location, sociable hours
Cons
pay, staff
Get on well with work team
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 June 2018
I enjoy working there it’s just a bit far to travel and cost a lot a month to get there. You get to improve on your customer skills. You must be flexible to work as when other members of staff are off you would have to cover some shifts and shift can change. You work some bank holidays but not all
Pros
Get money for Christmas parties
Cons
Boring shifts
Lovely place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woking16 June 2018
Shoe Zone in Woking is a ok place to work, you know how it is, pays the bills and that ish.

Mangement skills are quite poor and fairness in the workplace needs to be worked on.
Short contract
Retail Assistant Shoe Zone (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Neath, Neath Port Talbot11 June 2018
I liked this job but management weren't very fair at the time of placement, hardest part of the job is delivery and also stock taken and sorting out stock room
Pros
Nice hours
Cons
lack of fairness
Excellent atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrow11 June 2018
Amazing,friendly atmosphere to work in.My main duties included serving and advising customers regarding the products they were interested in, performing returns and purchases as well as doing fill ups and ensuring the store is tidy at all times. The manager was really nice and understanding and I really enjoyed interacting with a wide range of people.
workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 June 2018
really nice place to work at lovely members off staff and nice environment. sorry nothing else to say but indeed says not enough characters and I have to do this
okayish
Sales Assistant (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Derby City Centre, Derbyshire21 May 2018
was a brilliant place to work until I found out I wasn't staying after my apprentice management started being funny with me wouldn't recommend anyone..
Pros
nothing
Cons
some staff got treated better than others
Fun and Educational
Sales Assistance (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh14 May 2018
I learned to restock shoes and tag items when they were on sale, I was not allowed to work the tills as I was under 16 at the time and I was only there for work experience. My favorite part was helping customers as it helped with my communication skills, and the hardest part about when I was there was remembering all the shoe sizes i had to go and get but the more I done it, the easier it got.
Pros
worked with great people
Cons
having to rememeber the type of shoe and their size
good company to work for
supervisor/manger (Current Employee) –  Aldershot6 May 2018
i have worked for shoe zone for 4 years now.
they are a good company to work for. management come to visit regular.
staff work hard and are loyal.
the hardest part of the job is the delivery , when there are lots of heavy boxes to be carried up stairs and then put away in the stock rooms.
the fun part of the day is working with the friendly members of staff which make the days go by quickly.
Pros
free work shoes and money towards uniform trousers. free work tops
Cons
being short staffed at times. getting interupted during lunch breaks that are unpaid