Shepherd Neame Employee Reviews

Staff are fun
Second Chef (Former Employee) –  London6 September 2019
Hours in the kitchen are ridiculous, 12 hours a day and even more sometimes. Uniform is provided but many staff have already worn it before you. Bar staff are fun and everyone works as a team
Terrible management who are biased
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Chatham3 September 2019
Pier five sous chef would tell us all about his r*pe fantasies. Head chef couldn't run a bath. General manager was some sort of reptilian. Avoid at all costs. All of the kitchen team were amateurs 🤣 absolute morons
Great environment
Rye - Kitchen/ Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Rye2 September 2019
Easily one of best pubs I worked at. Great atmosphere, good potential but unfortunately not enough development or training provided. Pretty much left to landlords discretion
Pros
No control over food
Cons
Long hours at weekends
Good for social but terrible company
Front of House/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs, Kent15 August 2019
Terrible company who do not value staff, high turnover of staff and management, probably due to poor pay and bad conditions.

No staff benefits - even had to pay for our own Christmas meal (considering they run a chain of pubs - this is quite shocking).
Fun but stressful
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thanet District, Kent1 August 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people - the people you meet and the people you work with.

It's a difficult business to manage due to location, you can have know one in the building one minute and the next you are 30 deep at the bar and the que going out to the beach.

In the winter there will be a small core team and in the summer we grow to a team of over 50 staff so managing the team on a daily basis can be a struggle when you have so many on duty, but at the same time it pushes you as a person so is good to develop your time management and people skills
Pros
Free lunch
Great company & team at Head Office
Head Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Head Office31 July 2019
I work as part of the Head Office team and have been happy ever since I first joined the business over 4 years ago. I have complete autonomy in my role and am trusted to do my job well with plenty of support from the management team where required. Head Office working hours are good with flexibility, the working environment is great, I have new IT equipment required to do my role and they are supportive if you need time off. I would recommend working for the Countries Oldest Family Brewer any day of the week!
Just another number
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent13 July 2019
Worked for this company for 2 years, working for sheps on a salary is a big no no. Do an extra hours for free, do an extra day and ask to be paid and are told "can it wait for next month?". This company is very money focused doesnt care about its staff unless they are benefiting them. Senior management (area manager) has such low morales. Nice to you when they need you, my last shift the area manager came in completely blanked me treated me like I didn't exist. I suppose I wasnt useful anymore. Worked Christmas for no extra pay, got nothing out of it not even a staff party or drink as a thank you. No work life balance expected to work 48 hours even though no food between 3 and 6 so meant to get the hours you had to work splits every shift the one good thing myself and head chef got was a 4 o'clock finish on a Sunday but the area manager soon took that away so I was working 5 splits a week. Shame really as the actual team was amazing.
Pros
Great kitchen team
Cons
Bad hours, bad senior management, treated like a number, always going hungry
Ground crew fantastic then some managers think they are god
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Faversham, Kent3 July 2019
Fun place to work most workers from brewing to bottling and lab is fantastic neame family are great with there staff and look after them but some mangers think they are god these need to be got rid of.then the place will be great again and happy.
Pros
Staff do's are fabulous and funneame family look after there staff
Cons
Gone down hill since taking on new managers
Bar staff excellent, management poor
Bar staff (Former Employee) –  City of London, Greater London2 July 2019
Minimum wage for extremely long and unsociable hours , extremely short staffed during busy periods, it can be fun with you enjoy the people you work with but overall I’d give the whole experience a 2/5.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Rubbish pay for long hours.
Another number
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs, Kent19 June 2019
Former night porter in Royal Albion, Broadstairs. 14 months and glad to be moving on. Only thing that made it bearable for this long were some fellow staff members. If you make it past 6 months, then fair play to you. Under staffed front of house, especially in the summer.

Have worked a ridiculous amount of weekends, even though this is a part time job and there are typically 3 porters. You won't see your rota for the next month till the 28th, 29th of the month, but yet you are supposed to book your paid/unpaid holiday a month in advance.

Online training is tedious, seems orientated to protect the company from a law suit. You don't really learn the nuts and bolts till you get stuck in, ask people and learn for yourself.

Management was terrible. Preferential treatment at managers will. Treated like another number, easily replaced. Never seen such a high staff turnover. I'm the 3rd person to leave or hand in notice this last week, its only Wednesday.

You will probably find a bunch of happy managers and executives praising this company, that shouldn't surprise you as their performance bonuses come off the back of your sweat and blood.

On the plus side you do get to meet a lot of people which is always interesting and most of the front of house staff, kitchen staff are cool.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Low pay, poor training, difficult to get holiday authorised, terrible management
tenancy so self employed and hard work
tennant (Former Employee) –  Surrey12 June 2019
business manager very good. took the pub over as a tenancy so hard work but very satisfying. learnt not to take a tenancy again as very costly. but a good lesson learnt
Pros
own business
Cons
good fun
Nice staff and managers
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London8 April 2019
Very fun place to work in, manager was a sweetheart who loved to spend time with staff. My co-workers were great friends too, regulars were good talk. Hours were very flexible, but pay was too low and the paydays kept changing.
Pros
nice management and staff, fun workplace
Cons
low pay, payday kept changing
Not Great
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent29 November 2018
Managers run as a theme and I think are a lot of what lets the company down. Sometimes they were very nice and respectful whereas other times, and more often, you would be sworn at, disrespected and treated like a number/ a disposable human being - Both in private and in front of customers and other staff.
Little communication between them as it seems to be one rule from one and another rule from someone else.
Training was not given but you are expected to know.
The other staff made the job worth it, we all worked together as a team and had fun while doing it. I loved the actual place of work itself, it has a lot of potential, pay was minimum wage but what do you expect for hospitality, and many of the regulars made it a joy to go in some evenings.
If you can put up with the managerial side of things or just want work for a short time, then this may be okay for you, but i'd never work for Shepherd Neame again, and i wouldn't recommend you ever do.
Pros
Staff, regulars
Cons
Managers, No Break unless you asked and even then you may not, non-existent tips
Just a number
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Whitstable, Kent30 October 2018
If you enjoy working 10 hours or more with 1 20 min break which your forced to take sometimes within an hour of the shift and for very little pay this is definetly the job for you!!! Managers don’t understand what a work life balance is I.E finishing work at 12:30am onwards and expecting you to be back in at 8:00am to do a 12 hour split shift which means you get no such thing as a social/personal life!! Managers are very rude and obnoxious to the point where there screaming in your face telling you your useless at your job( after no training) in front of customers!! And also drinking on shift.. Just a terrible place to work, terribly ran company and would not recommend anyone to work for them!!!
Pros
Free lunches every now and then
Shepherd Neame
Front of House Team - The Spanish Galleon (Former Employee) –  London10 September 2018
Shepherd Neame is a company that combines innovation and tradition to brew some of Britain's finest beers. There were important frameworks within the company to look after their employees, such as holiday pay and maternity pay, whilst the company also expected high standards of its front of house staff, requiring them to complete an educational online training programme. I found the Spanish Galleon's regional manager, Bart, to be friendly and considerate and an excellent ambassador for the company. Any issues of mine were pertaining to individual managers, therefore my only suggestion to Shepherd Neame is to give more guidance to the managers around issues such as rotas and staff breaks
Terrible management staff treated unfairly
bar staff (Former Employee) –  Thames Ditton, Surrey14 May 2018
staff not treated properly
poor pay
general manager sexist and rude
poor customer service
no staff benefits when there should have been
unhygienic
staff poorly treated
Not the family orientated business they claim to be!
Tenanted Landlord (Former Employee) –  Folkestone6 April 2018
Stay away from Shepherd Neame at all costs if you are looking to venture into the hospitality industry. Like all breweries and property investment companies, they will only bleed you dry. Expensive weekly rent for run down sites and compulsory purchase of their extortionate products. Some 30-40% more expensive than buying freely from outlets such as Drink Warehouse UK. This makes it impossible for you to earn a living while you work yourself into the ground but conveniently lining their pockets. Management leaves a lot to be desired, no experience or real knowledge of their sites or your clientele apart the odd occasional visit. Only happy to help if site is lucrative but not so if the site is struggling! Their cheaper sites are struggling due to the fact that their is no business there. Though they are happy to keep letting tenants waste their own money on such sites.
Pros
Run your own business
Cons
Extortionate and bad reputation in Kent
So much potential, just poor management directuons at head office
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Kent7 February 2018
Staff do their best on industry low wages. Lots of pressure on managers, even the good ones awork for almost minimum wage and are poorly treated. Shame as the cheif executive is a good person, but has no idea how poor his training staff are and how staff are treated. I work at a site with no staff area. We cant relax on a break as head office staff criticise when we eat in public areas. Bet the brewery have a staff area. No benefits for staff, i even know managers dont get any over time or double time pay, but the good thing we do and we get tips which managers do not. I would work for them agaon, but never in management until the work life balance improves along with salary/ benefits.
Pros
Team
Cons
Hours, head office, no benefits, low wages
Not bad
Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Ashford7 February 2018
Nice pub full of nice people needs some fresh pepole in there and help the staff out more but not a bad place to work. At all good location for ashford
Cons
Not meny hours
Not the best company
Chef (Former Employee) –  Medway, Kent13 October 2017
Typical day would be turn up at 10am start prepping (mainly portioning as mostly store bought) then run your section for the day and close down .. shifts ranged from splits to afds . I did not learn a lot from this job there the sort of company that look at team members like monkeys and use and exploit. Management were not good . Everyone knows Shepherd Neame pay nmw in most of there stores from kp to sous anyway . Hardest parts of the job I would say we’re doing a close then breakfast finishing at 12pm and starting again 6:30 am. The most enjoyable part was the team , I met some really nice people . There also a company of false promises they’ll promise guaranteed hours pay rises promotions ( personal to would just trust your contracted hours and title when you start
Pros
Staff
Cons
Pay hours food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shepherd Neame. Our community is ready to answer.