Shepherd Neame

Shepherd Neame Employee Reviews

United Kingdom50 reviews
The job was busy and stressful but great colleagues. The job was very flexible and they were very understanding about what hours we could work. However I was not paid correctly in my last pay check due to as issue with Fourth- the payment system they use.
25000 for a head chef position is a joke.
Companies like this should be prosecuted for this practice.

DO NOT APPLY!!!!!

this work will kill your ethic and morale as a chef.
Cons
Departments may differ but Outdated management who were self serving and no interest in those beneath them.sn old boys club.stuck in the past and self protecting
Enjoying working for shepherds neame. They giving you the opportunity to work with motivational and encouraging people - front of house and chefs. 5 ⭐️
The nature of the job is to be expected of a bar/hotel however management at my place of work did not meet my standards. Many members of staff were expected to work extortionate hours on minimum wage. I dealt with abuse from a customer in front of numerous members of staff including management, to then find out that the customer was offered a free meal and drink and my welfare was not considered. There are opportunities to progress onto supervisory roles but there is a long wait.
Pros
Shared tips, free meals, discount on food.
Cons
Long hours, bad management.
Nit great Was very stressful low pay and awkward my pay was done wrong for a few months and wasn't sorted till after I quit. Could be a nice place to work because management were good and the staff were friendly but the work life balence and everything else was off.
It was the first job for me there I really enjoyed it the schedule is from 6 am till 2 pm had a lot of time off and good pay
My colleagues where so nice to me showing me everything that I had to do
The company itself, cares more about earning money than the wellbeing of their employees. Mental health or home issues are disregarded and you are expected to help the business rather than yourself. The pay is unfair and everybody is on different pay, some younger people are being paid more than the elder members.
Nice company to work for, very friendly staff however, the salary received for the work you do does not seem to match. Depending which pub you work for, some are more fast paced than others and if you work at a higher profit taking pub, it can be a very stressful environment and does not always make you feel like you are being paid what you deserve taking all job roles into consideration.
I would arrive at the hotel at 06:00 a.m.,
I would check the maintenance log & plan tasks for the day.

I would go to the paint store.

I would add new materials to the paint store.

I would select the tools for the first task.

I would transport the tools to the first working area.

I would undertake the task at the first working area.

Tasks include:

Painting.

Degreasing a skirting board in preparation for painting; degreasing a wall area in preparation for painting; cleaning a wall area with a diluted chemical; painting an area of skirting board; painting a door; painting an area of wall; painting an area of ceiling; inspecting the paintwork.

Cellar Keeping.

Cleaning kegs with antibacterial solution; emptying & cleaning the ice machine.

Electrical Work.

Refitting a wall light; changing a light bulb; replacing a down lighter; repairing a faulty chandelier.

Plumbing.

Replacing a fill valve in a lavatory cistern; replacing a lavatory seat. inspecting tile grout; cleaning tile grout.

Stonemasonry.

Jet washing an area of wall; jet washing an area of patio.

Furniture Removal & Furniture Care.

Removing & replacing wall mirrors; jet washing a set of patio furniture; oiling a wooden patio furniture set;

Joinery.

Inspecting a door frame; inspecting a door; removing & refitting a door; repairing a faulty door handle.

Building Inspection.

Inspecting a roof for leaks.

Audio-visual Installation.

Remounting a projector screen; replacing a wall mounted television.

Having completed the first task,

I would transport the tools to the paint store.

I would clean
 - more...
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, flexible hours.
Cons
Difficult working conditions, health & saftety breaches.
Constant flow of new and regular customers. Cooking traditional pub grub that satisfied all customers. Working in a friendly environment with easy going staff members
A typical day at work would depend on whether or not our managed was working - with two of us working a shift, we could easily manage to run the bar & restaurant, but when the manager was working he would "go for a cigarette" for multiple hours.
Worked with some lovely people and was fantastic working in such a lively establishment, shame they've changed it since I've left.

Excuse my french but the online learning was f_cking awful to be brutally honest, so so mundane and could have been given in person.
Hours in the kitchen are ridiculous, 12 hours a day and even more sometimes. Uniform is provided but many staff have already worn it before you. Bar staff are fun and everyone works as a team
Pier five sous chef would tell us all about his r*pe fantasies. Head chef couldn't run a bath. General manager was some sort of reptilian. Avoid at all costs. All of the kitchen team were amateurs 🤣 absolute morons
Easily one of best pubs I worked at. Great atmosphere, good potential but unfortunately not enough development or training provided. Pretty much left to landlords discretion
Pros
No control over food
Cons
Long hours at weekends
Terrible company who do not value staff, high turnover of staff and management, probably due to poor pay and bad conditions.

No staff benefits - even had to pay for our own Christmas meal (considering they run a chain of pubs - this is quite shocking).
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people - the people you meet and the people you work with.

It's a difficult business to manage due to location, you can have know one in the building one minute and the next you are 30 deep at the bar and the que going out to the beach.

In the winter there will be a small core team and in the summer we grow to a team of over 50 staff so managing the team on a daily basis can be a struggle when you have so many on duty, but at the same time it pushes you as a person so is good to develop your time management and people skills
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
I work as part of the Head Office team and have been happy ever since I first joined the business over 4 years ago. I have complete autonomy in my role and am trusted to do my job well with plenty of support from the management team where required. Head Office working hours are good with flexibility, the working environment is great, I have new IT equipment required to do my role and they are supportive if you need time off. I would recommend working for the Countries Oldest Family Brewer any day of the week!
Worked for this company for 2 years, working for sheps on a salary is a big no no. Do an extra hours for free, do an extra day and ask to be paid and are told "can it wait for next month?". This company is very money focused doesnt care about its staff unless they are benefiting them. Senior management (area manager) has such low morales. Nice to you when they need you, my last shift the area manager came in completely blanked me treated me like I didn't exist. I suppose I wasnt useful anymore. Worked Christmas for no extra pay, got nothing out of it not even a staff party or drink as a thank you. No work life balance expected to work 48 hours even though no food between 3 and 6 so meant to get the hours you had to work splits every shift the one good thing myself and head chef got was a 4 o'clock finish on a Sunday but the area manager soon took that away so I was working 5 splits a week. Shame really as the actual team was amazing.
Pros
Great kitchen team
Cons
Bad hours, bad senior management, treated like a number, always going hungry
Fun place to work most workers from brewing to bottling and lab is fantastic neame family are great with there staff and look after them but some mangers think they are god these need to be got rid of.then the place will be great again and happy.
Pros
Staff do's are fabulous and funneame family look after there staff
Cons
Gone down hill since taking on new managers
Minimum wage for extremely long and unsociable hours , extremely short staffed during busy periods, it can be fun with you enjoy the people you work with but overall I’d give the whole experience a 2/5.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Rubbish pay for long hours.