SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

Great experience
BSI Summer placement award scheme (Former Employee) –  Sheffield11 September 2018
Productive and friendly work environment within the bio-molecular research centre based in the Sheffield Hallam university. Wealth of opportunities to take on as well as a great diversity of people to work alongside.
good working atmosphere
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire18 August 2018
I performed casual work at Sheffield Hallam University performing IT jobs during an open day after finishing Masters degree in Computer and Network Engineering
Pros
very useful
Cons
n/a
Friendly University
Pre-Enrolment Placement Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield16 August 2018
Really nice working environment with friendly staff. Friendly city. The role had me performing a variety of tasks. Management are friendly and are willing to do everything to help.
Interesting and convenient
Student (Former Employee) –  Sheffield11 June 2018
I was on an excellent course, great staff, great opportunities to learn new, creative things. They also give great careers advice and have a good environment with mixed cultures .
Fun, Stress free job!
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Sheffield4 March 2018
Really good for earning some extra money a few times in a month without taking the whole time you have away from your studies. Really love the job and it has improved my social skills so much!
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Not as regular
Employability
Sudent (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire1 March 2018
Help is available to students, especially second years to find a placement, not quite as much help for final years trying to secure a graduate job - would be nice to have more help.
good learning environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire4 December 2017
not a job, 4-5 weekdays with some lessons starting at 7pm and going until 9pm, most teachers were enthusiastic about what they were teaching, however there automated messaging system that tells you of important things happening could do with some work
Loved working at the University
Education and Employee Partnership Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield20 September 2017
Was employed whilst being a student at the university. They provided me with the opportunity to balance my studies and work. Furthermore, they equipped me with the necessary skills to be successful in the workplace.
Terrible Managers
Fitness Advisor/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire26 August 2017
5 of us had our contracts terminated due to lack of business need/no funding - then 2 weeks later they put out a job vacancy for 3 more of our jobs. We had to take it to a tribunal. The managers try to sack you if you don't offer to cover shifts at the last minute and their excuse to me was that I had disability-related sickness which was impacting on the business which is pure discrimination.
Pros
Good basic
Cons
They give you extra duties with no more pay
Good burgeoning institution
Visiting Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield28 July 2017
Although my teaching experience took place over a decade ago I found lecturing part time a rewarding experience which lead to me acquiring a permanent post at Doncaster College. The staff team was very strong featuring numerous high level film academics and I greatly appreciated working alongside such excellent professionals. facilities and resources were excellent overall.
Pros
Excellent staff
Cons
Very difficult to find employment opportunities there
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  City7 July 2017
Good work life balance, Fantastic location, fairly archaic ways of working, transfer of knowledge between depts seems poor. Pay is good, plenty of scope to progress yourself
Pros
Felxi Time
Productive and fun place
Technical team member (Former Employee) –  Sheffield7 July 2017
I really enjoyed my time here although i was only here for experience i was involved in most activities. The team members were extremely helpful and friendly towards me and took time when teaching me about how things are done properly.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
Some days can be full of small tasks
Sheffield Hallam
MARKETING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, UK22 June 2017
Excellent place to work, very flexible with the employees. The workplace culture is very relaxed as long as the work is done. The hardest part of the job is coordinating between the difference departments.
Fun work place
Open day assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield hallam university8 June 2017
Enjoyable work with people of a similar age and in similar areas of their life. Able to talk to prospective students and was able to share my own opinions and experiences of university
lovely place to work 5ninutes walk from home
Senior domestic (Current Employee) –  Sheffield City Centre, South Yorkshire5 June 2017
I have worked at Hallam for 11 yrs and worked my way up from being a domestic to a senior domestic. I do as much hours as I can because it's only 20hours a week so overtime becomes extra I do weekend work if needed and do student flats deep clean at brammal court in shut down months . I have cleaned for 26 yrs doing office clean to schools night club and pubs and also hotels .
Pros
Wages good
Cons
Not enough hours
An opportunistic place
Mentor (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield25 May 2017
I volunteered as a mentor as part of one of Hallam's global scheme and it is one of the most enjoyable work experiences I've had thus far. Couldn't fault it at all.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Having to make sure to manage time
Estupendo para crecer
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield19 May 2017
Creen en ti y en lo que puedes aportar aunque llegues algo verde. He aprendido una nueva manera de enseñar y tratar con los alumnos. Ademas, parte del tiempo he tenido que hacerme cargo de pequeñas tareas administrativas relacionadas con mi puesto y me ha gustado mucho.
La parte más difícil ha sido irme.
Fits perfectly around studies
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire9 May 2017
I am currently a student ambassador for the schools and colleges team and I am loving it. It's flexible and zero hours, meaning you can work when you want to, and aren't required to do a specific amount of hours, which is great with demanding university studies.
Everyone is so friendly, and you join a great team, whether you're working an open day, or simply giving a student life talk.
Pros
Free lunches on shift, comfortable polo shirts
Cons
Sometimes difficult to get hours
Many opportunities for people who look for them
Student Support Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire24 February 2017
Student Support tutors are in pairs and we run a weekly 90 minute session for final year university international students to work on reading, writing, listening and speaking skills in English while focusing on the British culture and encouraging a cultural exchange. We spend an hour preparing the class and enjoy coming up with interesting interactive tasks. The students enjoyed the module enough first semester to request that we continues it into the second semester
Vibrant, energetic and aspirational
Administrator & Senior Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire19 February 2017
Very student centred like Leeds Beckett University however, staff members do not always follow procedures as they are agreed. Senior Management occasionally follow very unprofessional recruitment methods to appoint their family members despite their lack of experience and colleagues can be treated unfairly if their Manager takes a dislike to them.
Pros
Good IT infrastructure, nice campus, very motivated students, good salary considering the work done.
Cons
Inconsistent managerial approach, inappropriate managerial behaviours, lack of flexible environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNIVERSITY. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3