SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

Amazing
Graduation Events Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire18 September 2019
In my office, I had the job I loved and was surrounded by a very supportive and helpful team. These people would ensure I had any training I needed and was never left to struggle where I needed help. The company culture, in my team anyway, was very positive.

Working the graduation ceremonies is by far the most enjoyable part of the job, as is knowing that you are making a positive experience for the students you work for.
Amazing place to work
IT Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 September 2019
Held responsibility for imaging PC’s, installing software, upgrading hardware, and providing IT related services and support to staff and students. Performed preventative maintenance of computers systems while identifying, troubleshooting, resolving various servers and desktop systems problems, and working site-to-site and remotely.
its university
Current physiotherapy group representative (Current Employee) –  Sheffield4 September 2019
standard uni, teachers are good. their reply times to emails are pretty poor but they do actually care about you as a individual student which is nice. doctors there are great
Good people, poor leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sheffield City Centre, South Yorkshire14 August 2019
Lots of potential to really be a great organisation to work for but senior managers never listen to teams who understand how best to do their role. Review after review have left good people in a bad position (or bad people just keeping their heads down) and provides little opportunity for career progression.

It’s all about who you know and how much you placate your manager on whether you will fit in. If you want to turn up, work 9-5 and aren’t striving to reach the stars, maybe this is the place for you
Enjoyable place to work
Domestic Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Sheffield6 August 2019
I find it very enjoyable with decent pay and generous holiday allowance,all training done in work time, with plenty of team building amongst work force
Fun and informative workplace
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire31 July 2019
The colleagues are very welcoming ensuring you are well with the tasks at hand. The job role was really informative on the subjects within society informing you on current issues.
A large organisation with tonnes of job options
Marketing Assistant Officer (Former Employee) –  111 Arundel Gate31 July 2019
Sheffield Hallam has been an excellent employer overall. I have worked in marketing (for a faculty, then in the central team) for 14 years in total and I spent six years of that in a role dedicated to copywriting. I have worked with some fantastic people and the support and benefits I have received have been very good. However, I would advise anyone considering working here to plan out a career route, and look at all the available options as there are simply tonnes of roles to choose from.

The most enjoyable part of my job has been working directly with students on a social media project called the Hallam Insiders. I worked on the project from its inception and have seen it evolve into something far bigger that we anticipated. It's been incredibly rewarding to work with the students and see them grow in skill and confidence, and be able to help them gain valuable experience to dd to their CVs.
Some great people
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire8 July 2019
There are fantastic people to work with a Sheffield Hallam. I'm just severely disappointed in some of the current management decisions.
Pros
Wonderful People
Cons
Lacking in good leadership at the top
Caring organisation
Senior Researcher (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire26 May 2019
Loved working for them as the management was great and supportive.Could easily speak to the management about issues and barriers and their understanding encouraged to work even harder.
Well organised organisation
Trainee Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire17 May 2019
Great place to train, with very attentive tutors and helpful administrative staff. Always ready to help with issues or give practical and swift advice. A very supportive environment.
Productive and proactive environment
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Sheffield27 April 2019
This university is has the environment that would push an individual to seek out the best version of themselves. While learning how to interact with a large variety of people it also allows you to find your own uniqueness.
Productive and friendly
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire8 April 2019
I work as a student ambassador, which means meeting and greeting prospective students, talking to parents, working alongside tutors, management and visiting schools and other events. From when you start work everyone is so friendly and welcoming. I actually enjoy going to work. the salary is really good as its minimum wage plus 10% for holiday pay as you do not get holidays as we work so little really. I would recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
Free drinks and pastries on open days, t shirts, name sticker, chat to other students on different courses.
Cons
Great place to work if you don't want change or expect to advance
admin team manager (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire21 February 2019
Very little chance for advancement as people tend not to move on. It keeps reinventing the wheel and calls it improvement.

Management tends to fear challenges and academic staff can be egotistical meaning they prefer to ignore input from people without MSCs or doctorates.

However, the administration staff tend to be a good group of people that try and do the best job possible within the constraints of the organisation. The work with students can be frustrating but really rewarding when you see your contribution to their student life has improved things for them.

You will probably get more recognition and thanks from the students than you would from your line manager or academics.
Pros
good salary, pension and holidays, free wifi
Cons
archaic management, slow moving organisation, senior management out of touch with front line staff
irregular work
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire19 January 2019
the amount of days to work was low, the job wasnt too bad but because of the shortage of working days the pay wasnt very good. people are generally nice.
First professional role
Specialist Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire30 November 2018
My first graduate level role, I learnt a lot throughout each academic cycle and enjoyed the opportunities offered to me, utilising each one to develop as a young professional
Omd
Marketing consultant intern (Current Employee) –  Wells11 October 2018
Perfect life experience and a bunch of amazing people.
Marketing expert and focusing on media investment. dealing with international brands exploring the Chinese markets.
Great experience
BSI Summer placement award scheme (Former Employee) –  Sheffield11 September 2018
Productive and friendly work environment within the bio-molecular research centre based in the Sheffield Hallam university. Wealth of opportunities to take on as well as a great diversity of people to work alongside.
good working atmosphere
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire18 August 2018
I performed casual work at Sheffield Hallam University performing IT jobs during an open day after finishing Masters degree in Computer and Network Engineering
Pros
very useful
Cons
n/a
Friendly University
Pre-Enrolment Placement Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield16 August 2018
Really nice working environment with friendly staff. Friendly city. The role had me performing a variety of tasks. Management are friendly and are willing to do everything to help.
Interesting and convenient
Student (Former Employee) –  Sheffield11 June 2018
I was on an excellent course, great staff, great opportunities to learn new, creative things. They also give great careers advice and have a good environment with mixed cultures .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNIVERSITY. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3