Shaw Trust
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Shaw Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom159 reviews
The job description says that The role of Support Manager requires an engaging, empathetic and motivating individual, able to support people with complex barriers to move into sustainable employment - you are not given time to support because the only goal of any value to ST is get them in to work
Shaw trust has a unprofessional, bullying and racist culture. With unsupportive line management team. Not a good company to work for.
Best advice i could give would be please do not join.
I would not recommend working for Shaw Trust. They are a charity without a charitable heart.

The culture was driven by poor leadership, a lack of support and a disjointed approach to performance.

They were a commercial business masquerading as a charity
Good place, has since closed down the wood recycling side of operations. was a physical job, working in all weathers with plenty of motorway travel in between jobs
Unfortunately it was an extremely disappointing place to volunteer as on a few occasions they didn't have anything for me to do which was really inconvenient. If they've hired a volunteer they should've organised some tasks for me to do.
I was very optimistic to start this Role, but seems this role went from bad to worse.

After an overly long induction process (after a delayed 6 week starting date), I had months of issues of getting onto the systems needed to complete the role. When I eventually gained access, 6 weeks after starting in the role and after the induction process, which becomes useless because they change the process so quickly and anything mentioned in the training is now not relevant.

When I eventually started the actual role, I was given my targets, and that was basically what became the job. This role was not about helping people, but more about making sure I hit targets.

If you actually want to help people, this is not the role for you. If you are a target orientated Admin/desk oriented person, go for it.

My manager was not concerned at all that I was able to sign people up to the projects provided and just said to get people through. It didn't matter if they completed actions that were good for them, as long as it could be evidenced online in a particular way.

The way the contracts works for this role is, compliance is king. if it sounds good it is good, weather that means it is right for the person or not.

Even after handing my notice in I was told to sign people up for support that was not going to be given for at least 4 months. When I said this was unethical, I was told I was letting the team down (not the people I was trying to support) and when I referenced that it was just feedback as requested I was attacked in my exit meeting and asked why I even took the role.
 - more...
Management at the time was great new where you where fuel allowance was 45p plenty of overtime available very well run. Downside, Travelling more distances as to cover a lot of areas . No travelling time between calls.
I'm happy in Shaw Trust because it is a safe place. I don't feel stressful there and this lets me work better there. I have a supportive manager. I learn a lot from her.
Fast paced and demanding deadlines, but the other staff were always very welcoming and friendly. I learned a lot about attention to detail. The management were very much a part of the team which certainly made things easier.
Although I voluntered, it was a good fun environment where I communicated with many different people through serving and helping with general enquiries.
I loved the job, and the shop. I built excellent customer relations in my time there as a volunteer and many were pleased when I became employed. I think I overachieved when in sole command - I exceeded weekly sales targets - and as irrelevant as it may seem, kept the shop clean and tidy. However, I believe, my manager felt threatened by my education and ability.
Friendly environment. Easy learning facilities. Fast paced working place. A big variety of products from our loyal donors and a good selection of goods to sell to satisfy all our customers needs.
Good place to work. Very friendly culture, a typical day is very fun. There is nothing more to say. I would recommend Shaw Trust as a good place to work.
If you value your own health, wellbeing and integrity AVOID this organisation.

The reasonable wage attracts skilled practitioners across transferable sectors and alongside the sale and pull of extensive training creates the illusion that this is an attractive package.

However, the harsh realities of an organisation that has mismanaged an extensive contract soon become apparent, staff are expected to effectively operate with caseloads double and treble the size and with almost no resources available.

Staff are mentally abused and ostracised by middle management and often beaten with the ‘under performance’ stick, creating a counter productive and toxic environment. In regards to middle management, there is a general disinterest in creating a vibrant and enjoyable working environment, which is also coupled with no time set for staff development and positive intervention.

Staff turnover is extremely high even and the burnt out amongst staff is rife, due to the bullying culture and that fact they very few are able to make it past the probation period, those that remain in post carry the burden of those that precede them.
Not told if I have anybody to help that day and sometimes I sit there with nobody to help at all.

I feel as if Im not wanted there at all and Im not involved in any of their conversations unless I start them first.
teh mangment was good. they have very comfortable environment to work at. I like the most that they work for poor people without any desire. The people around you are working they are friendly and very undestanding.
would not recommend anyone to work for this charity,
the bulling which goes on gets cover up by upper management.

and the one who complains about the bulling is the one who is forces to leave,

no support by anyone left to work alone with no direction , until you do not hit targets, then the threat of loosing your job or closer.
Man Driver needs to slow down i did not feel safe with him at all, he had bad attitude Lady driver did not get out of the van at all she was either eating, drinking or on her phone and just gave orders all the time people seemed afraid of her
Left all the lifting to a very disabled person and myself work was boring working there was ok but if your face did not fit i would not like to be on the recieving end of the manager. Glad i gave finished now something was not right, people seemed stressed and frightened of the lady manager

Port talbot manager was nice and funny but she went off with stress shame i liked her
Pros
Help the disabled
Cons
Stress and bully staff
I loved my work the volunteers and the disabled people who were lovely people but seriously under valued. Almost all the disabled people and volunteers were never given offers of proper jobs which was sad as they are supposed to be a disabled charity. any vacant job was given to outsiders or friends of the managers my experience of HR managers and trustees and CEO are not very good they know there is a serious bullying problem the CEO and trustees were made aware but were happy for it to continue , sad environment by a mental health charity
About time this organisation were forced to have bullying and harassment procedure and be forced to stick by it, HR managers would never survive in the private sector
Pros
Lovely people at local level but not the shop manager
Cons
See below
The fact that they deliver ‘work and health’ programme is the biggest irony of it all as this contract can destroy your mental health. Namely by the bullying culture, bad behavior from senior management and general disregard for staff and customer welfare. Genuinely the worst contract I have ever worked on in 20 years of Welfare to Work
Shaw Trust is very much a bullying culture. You get virtually NO support from management unless you are a personal friend to them and if your face doesn't fit, you will be bullied into a forced resignation or pushed out in other ways. Severe issues within the company
Pros
Volunteers are fantastic
Cons
to many to mention