Shaw Trust Employee Reviews

Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford1 February 2019
The members of shaw trust are very friendly and understanding, I felt comfortable when I first started, they made me feel very welcome and understood my situation
Pros
Lunch on working after 4/5 hours, kind staff
Work life
Store Logistics Co-Ordinator (Current Employee) –  Sittingbourne, Kent9 January 2019
The hardest part of the job is the heavy furniture. Checking items are good enough to sell in the shop. The best part of the job is meeting some nice people when you deliver or pick up stuff.
productive and supportive place to work
Personal Development Advisor (Former Employee) –  Luton8 January 2019
Shaw Trust was an amazing place to work in terms of their quality of work everyone produced for the Clients . The On going training in work was very empowering for all staff.
Pros
In work benefits like free insurance and gym membership
Cons
Jobs of staff were largely dependent on external funding.
Volunteer
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frome, Somerset7 January 2019
I was Working In Shaw Trust as a volunteer.
Management was good to work for.
I was a good timekeeper.
Always kept to health and safety.
The Company I was working for was for a charity
Pros
Volunteer
Cons
hours
If you want depression / stress and anxiety..... go for it!
Management (Former Employee) –  West Midlands3 January 2019
They call themselves a charity which is laughable they have no idea what charity means! They bully staff and hold back probation periods as a way of motivating staff??? They say “challenge and be nosey” but when you do your managed out. Worst senior management team I’ve ever been exposed to, coupled with a horrible culture of bullying I’ve ever witnessed! Just care about shoving people into work, stafff are leaving in the hoards and staff retention is horrendous! For your sanity don’t work there it’ll be the biggest mistake of your life. Lesson learned don’t work for organizations that claim to be the best and promise commissioners that they will over deliver when they are in huge financial deficits over under performance! Best thing I ever did writing that resignation letter! 😄
Pros
Cons
Fakeness throughout management & the business
easy going and relaxed atmosphere
warehouse / prodution operative (Former Employee) –  Llandarcy20 December 2018
nice place to work , friendly, relaxed, no time limits or goals to work to. great people to work with. bosses friendly and easy going. would go back if offered a position.
Pros
na
Cons
na
it calm and welcoming
Volunteer supervisor (Current Employee) –  walworth london16 December 2018
it fun and somewhere to look forward to,to work, meeting different people everyday and having a good and cordial relationship with the managers. its a place with about 5 people to work with daily and we tends to support each other morally and mentally if need be. having to deal with some customers
Pros
the tea time is amazing
Cons
having to deal with some customers
Shaw trust
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees23 November 2018
I worked at shaw trust for one year as a volunteer and one year as a staff member, the funding for my postion ran out so i had to leave. I worked instructing adults with leaning difficulties mostly in gardening, how to grow plants and keep the plots tidy. i also did training courses in gardening for the greneral public and ran training courses for the job centre. i looked after the gardening machinary for the site, repairing and cleaning
great place to work
general volunteer (Former Employee) –  Middleton, Greater Manchester8 November 2018
This was a great place to work and I found it very productive, it gave me the confidence and experience to go on and find gainful employment. A typical day at work would be sorting through stock replenishing the shop, and serving customers, The manager and assistant manager were great to work for.
Pros
experience
productive place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London1 November 2018
SHAW TRUST was a fun and productive work place and safe environment. SHAW TRUST helped to gain confidence and be more talkative and challenged me to my best ability which helped me to develop skills such as communication skills/listening skills/adaptability and flexibility.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Great company doing great things
Facilities / Health & Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London27 October 2018
Shaw Trust is a great charity to work, as they touch the lives of the underprivileged and disabled by helping them find work and making their life more fulfilling. Staff are also friendly and nice.
Supportive and encouriging employer
Employmant Advisor (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire13 October 2018
In my last 8 years I would meet customers who were referred by JC+ who needed support to re-engage with the world of work. My role would mean establishing barriers and planning solutions to ensure customers were work ready. Working closely with employers to open up employment opportunities and work placements to help customers develop work skills and confidence. I worked in a target driven environment to ensure performance targets were me, as well as working to high quality assurance was maintained. I have been interviewed twice as part of a JC+ PAT audits and received extremely positive feedback about my performance and understanding of the support required to meet the needs of both customers and the DWP contractual requirements.
Pros
Family friendly flexibility when my child was young.
Cons
Changing Targets at short notice.
good company
Self direct support Officer (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands5 September 2018
to many contracts, need stable jobs, good packages for the employee, excellent help for a person with a disability. but support for training or to go up the ladder.
Very clicky unfair ways especially management telling only freimds information
ERA (Current Employee) –  Suffolk29 July 2018
Enjoy retaining people into work. Job satisfaction for me is supporting someone to stay in their job. Unfortunately that’s about it. The management are extremely clicky and gossip about everyone. Micro management blame culture no support when asked no training even though it was promised and the salary is awful in comparison to other organisations.

Do not work here all they care about is the financial gain out of people
Pros
Supporting people
This is only for temporary work for 4-6months
Trainee Collection Assistant (Former Employee) –  Near the m25 near sidcup area27 July 2018
Shaw trust has gained me enough experience and the health and safety and helping other if there be accidents involves and also finding works the jobs to look for and so on.
Pros
Not cafeteria except for shaw trust staff only
Cons
Only two hours job search.
Dont bother!
Mental Health Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kent25 July 2018
Something is very wrong here...
staff not supported
them and us
micro managed
backstabbing
bullying
Management only think of stats and figures not people
not flexible for working parents/ carers
systems work designed for management not clients
archaic
one rule for managers different rules for the minions
rubbish money with no increase despite advertised salary scale
left waiting to hear if I had the job
clock watched
spied on

Don't bother!
Cons
Local team great, management so far removed from reality and don't listen to feedback
Current Position - Employment Adviser (Former Employee) –  London5 July 2018
Since working for Shaw Trust I have witnessed: increased working hours with no additional pay, introduced poorly planned bonus scheme, then withdrawn it because they couldn't manage it (no replacement on the horizon yet), introduced a pay increase structure based only overachieving set KPI's then not instating incremental pay increases for successful staff due to the system 'only being a guide' and 'Shaw Trust have overspent'. Allow management to recruit or promote into the business their friends leading to incompetency in higher level management. Continually said they will introduce staff training for development which does not materialise. Hire another 'chief of' into a £80kpa plus role for what appears to be the sake of it. Cut vital internal services to save money then panic when work cannot be completed and re-recruit. Run monthly staff surveys to gauge feeling but have not acted on the results so 2 years on the poor results remain unchanged so have changed to quarterly. Refer to the number of people they want to help as 'units' and seem unaware of how disrespectful it appears. I could go on.

Locally, the people working for Shaw Trust have been very dedicated and do go above and beyond for the people they work with (other staff members and clients alike). This has been the single best thing about working for Shaw Trust.
Pros
Flexibility in the roles and local team who really are interested in helping others.
Cons
Management do not care about staff, only growing the business and earning money.
fun and productive
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside3 July 2018
I really enjoyed working for Shaw trust, I gained a lot of pleasure from helping young adults achieve their goals and all my colleagues were amazing. unfortunately I was only hired to cover maternity leave and my contract come to an end.
Productive, rewarding and challenging
Assistant Gardener/client support (Current Employee) –  Chislehurst, Kent29 May 2018
A wonderful experience to have worked with these people, I have learnt so much. Working with the clients in such beautiful surroundings didn't feel like hard work at all. We all worked so hard to clear the gardens, the poly tunnel and the allotment in time for Spring and Summer. Although working with young disabled adults can be very rewarding, it is also mentally and physically exhausting, and you need training and a lot of patience dealing with difficult or challenging behaviour. But seeing the results from hours of hard work, in all weathers, makes it worthwhile.
my role and what i do
employment advisor (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire21 May 2018
no day is the same. I help people with disabilities find work. whether dealing with a customer or a CEO it is important to put across the benefits to an employer of how people can add value to their firm.

equally helping the customer to find the right job that matches their skill set and employer that is prepared to help them with their journey.

I also help veterans from time to time as well. I enjoy this part of my job particularly being an ex Army Soldier of 23 years my self. I find it extremely rewarding.
Pros
making other peoples days better
Cons
could always do better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shaw Trust. Our community is ready to answer.