Sharps Bedrooms Ltd Employee Reviews

Not a good place but good workers.
Machine Operative (Former Employee) –  Bilston, West Midlands19 September 2019
It’s not what you know it’s who you know,all the staff of either shift will state the same about this place an office staff don’t care about the issues of the shop floor an the production manager has his side profits.
like a real life nightmare
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bilston, West Midlands4 May 2019
terrible company terrible training, terrible incompetent mangers who only criticise , they walk in to your office where they have no business, yell at you for some reason then walk out, i had envelopes n my desk a small pile they came in yelled at me that i was untidy then left. their idea of training is to yell at you infront of everyone until you get it, they criticise your clothes, your weight, they look you up and down, terrible, they fired me for, and i quote, too friendly and common.
Pros
Cons
working for sharps
Sales Design Executive
Sales Executive Designer (Former Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London24 March 2019
I suppose the work was ok. The management is all right. The designs are made by hand and many clients wish to see it in 3D, which can become a problem. I used to sell because my drawings were of high quality. The problem was that I had to lie to the client and say that at the moment we had a 50% sale plus another 20% when in truth, the 50% sale is all through the year and it is just for the client to think they are getting a good deal. I don't like lying and I didn't force the client to buy. However, I used to make them feel comfortable with me first and then ask what they were expecting to get and from that work on the drawings and make the sale.
Pros
If you don't mind lying to the client and are good at sales the job is for you
Cons
0 hour job
Positive working environment
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Bilston15 January 2019
Very positive place to work at. Great people and friendly environment. Feel valued as an employee. Recognises hard work and awards accordingly work colleagues are very helpful and always ready to support. The working place added a lot to my experience and knowledge of British culture.
Pros
Coffee machine
Cons
Non
Terrible
Planner (Former Employee) –  Bilston, West Midlands27 December 2018
This place is a disgrace, management is horrible, customer service is worse, not up to date with technology, writing customer bank details on paper, also terrible training which is your siting by someone who's doing their work but trying to teach you something both at the same time. The customer service manger is one of the worst mangers you could ever work with absolutely terrible shes not with the times. Only thing I learnt from this place is how to demand customer's to be in for fitting. The most enjoyable part of the job is finding a car parking space. Lucky for me i left after three weeks got a better job better pay and not running around with customer's bank details on paper only to be dashed in some tray.
Pros
Car parking space
Cons
Terrible management
Good company
Fitter (Current Employee) –  Scotland7 November 2018
Been with sharps for a year and a half now, overall it suits me, get paid regularly, good communication with the office staff, get to meet new people on the job, job materials on site waiting, can have a day off occasionally which suits me, once into the routine of the work then it flows and job satisfaction is when the customer is happy. Decent company to work for.
Pros
Paid regular, left to do work, meet new people
Cons
Sometimes travelling
Rewarding
Installer (Current Employee) –  West Midlands5 November 2018
I've been a fitter for Sharps for a couple of months now and enjoying every minute. From starting the installation to handing over well designed product to the customer.
Always very rewarding to stand back and admire the finished product, best thing is seeing smiles from ear to ear on customers faces.
Excellent communication from my point of contact in the office, also always making sure everything is going smoothly and always available when needed.
Technical staff are very helpful when clarification is required on a fit.
Not had an issue with material and everything is delivererd to the room I'm working in.
Field Manager is extremely helpful and always available to provide advice. Mentors are a real asset to the company.
Always have regular work and the pay is reasonably good.
Pros
Guaranteed work.
Cons
Worst job I have EVER had.
Showroom Manager (Former Employee) –  West Sussex5 November 2018
I thought initially this would be a new career opportunity for me but I could not have been more wrong.
I was under the impression I would be in a busy work environment but sometimes not a single foot would walk through the doors. If you don't make an appointment you get questioned for it, how can you make appointments if no one wants to come in or if they do but they're not ready? It's not like you're popping out to get another pair of shoes, this is a big decision for people and a lot of money so people will only come in and book if they know it is 100% what they want to do.
The CCTV in my showroom was not legit and just for show, so I never felt safe working on my own with an open door policy.
My probation period was extended for no reason, even though I was told my appointments and sales had improved and the figures were increasing.
I resigned mainly due to the constant bullying from my part time college who I had only met twice... For someone 3 times my age it was an embarrassment and the behaviour towards me was disgusting. Managers did nothing, HR did nothing and the company big boss did nothing. God knows how they got away with it. It was bullying, there is no other word for it and I wish I could make what was said and done public.
I was only there for 4 months and it felt like four long, miserable years. I knew leaving was the best decision I could ever make as everything had influenced my life outside of work, I didn't sleep well, had awful anxiety, miserable, crying every other day and struggled to eat due to stress.
Bad experiences effect people in different
  more... ways, but I would not recommend this company to a single person to work for.
It is not appealing for young adults looking to make / further their career as the company as a whole is extremely dated.
I learnt a lot about myself working for Sharps but unfortunately not in a positive way and it will now and always be the most unpleasant job I have had and a big regret of mine.
If you're in your early / mid 20's, or any age, don't do it! Find something suited to you with kind people, a positive and secure work environment with room to grow and progress and ultimately be happy.
Cons
Lots of work and great pay
Installer (Current Employee) –  Worc5 November 2018
I am currently sub contracting to sharps as an installer and have been for the last 18 months. I find them a great company to work for with as much work as I want with great rates of pay. The P&I team are always friendly and are always happy to help with anything. I have an excellent installations manager who I see and speak to regularly and can call on if I have any issues.
Great management and enjoyable company to work for
Bedroom Fitter (Current Employee) –  Kent23 October 2018
I am currently working for sharps and have been for the past 4-5 years as a bedroom installer. I am a sub contractor and have always had a constant work load I never have to worry about not having work. The staff are very friendly in the office and my manager is very helpful when needed with great communication. I enjoy the flexabilty of the job and working with the customer to make sure that they are happy and the job is completed to high standard as they expect. I enjoy working for sharps and look forward to continuing my career with them.
Pros
Good pay great communication
Cons
No cons
10 Years of Installations for Sharps Bedrooms Ltd and still enjoying it.
Sharps Bedroom Installer (Current Employee) –  South East Kent23 October 2018
I've been working as an Installer for nearly 10 years, I've found the Office, Technical department and factory staff to be very helpful and friendly, also the back up from the Field Installation Manager is Excellent,

I like that there is plenty of work which is varied and sometimes challenging,

The fitting systems are very good and once mastered you can earn very well,

I find that if you have a high standard of work and you are polite with the customer and respectful of their home you will have no problems and it makes the fitting process very rewarding,
I always engage with the customer throughout the fitting process and they feel they get a more personal service and helps them get the bedroom of their dreams.

Sometimes the days can be long but on the flip side they can be quite short too,

There are days that don't quite go to plan like everything in life but the back up is always there to help keep everything heading in the right direction.

Over the years I have done onsite training and enjoyed teaching and guiding new Installers, some have done well but some haven't,

I find quality of work, cleanliness and being polite and respectful helps in the job,

At the end of the day, you are the face of a company that supplies custom built luxury bedroom suites to customers homes that will be there for decades.

So if you have a Very high standard of work and are polite and respectful, you can do very well in Sharps and have a continuous stretch of varied work with a good earning potential.
"Blame culture - Cliquey"
Planning Administrator (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands3 July 2018
There is a gang culture and blame culture. Unless you were in with the clique you could not and would not succeed in this company - in the space of 9 months the staff turnover i saw was despicable. people were promoted because they were friends with managers - people were bullied in there also, (the hard workers at that) Unless you fit a certain 'criteria' you would never get accepted.
Pros
Overtime available to help remedy poor management Free parking
Cons
No progression
Fun place to work
Sales Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol8 February 2018
Really enjoyed my time at Sharps and the staff and management were really fun to work with and i always got along with everyone and never had any issues
No potential to earn good money here
installer, fitter (Former Employee) –  South West22 January 2018
There are too many obstacles in the way of getting paid:
- a lot of highest standard scribing to make which slows down work progress. Yet If you dont finish a bedroom in 2 days its not worth the wages.
- If you screw up a panel, the whole building process can be stuck, you dont finish in 2 days, not worth the money.
- One bedroom fitting is rewarded with only around 300.
- if the customer is fussy, you are delayed
- if the customer does not want to sign the job for any reasons, you may not get paid, but be delayed for sure

Too many stones to stumble on and the payment is not that good in the first place eighter.
Yes, if you gained experience in their bedroom fitting you may be able to make better money. Yet there is a painful learning process and months of wasted wages to get there. (At the beginning you loose 2 weeks of earnings, because you have to do their 1 week course, and 1 week apprenticeship, which is only paid 300/week.)
I dont think it is worth the hassle.

Probably this is the reason why this company is advertising for new installers all year through, constancy on every possible job sites!
Pros
Nice management people
Cons
Underpaid!
Hard work but rewarding
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Scotland30 November 2017
Working as a Design Consultant in the sales team, the days can be very mixed with good and bad appointments. Overall, I enjoy the job and have more good than bad days with more cups of tea than I can handle!

I attend appointments in customers homes and design their bedroom aspirations ultimate aiming to close the deal.

On an average week sitting 12-15 appointments, a decent salesperson should close 4-6 deals a week earning on average 1200-1600 per week though sometimes more and sometimes less.

Self employed and great flexibility on hours as I tell them when I can work and they give me appointments.

Personally I find the management very flexible and supportive.
Pros
Endless cups of tea, Meeting nice people, Earnings
Cons
Long days sometimes, Days when you dont sell :(
Work, Life balance, not heard of, Not Family Friendly
Driver (Current Employee) –  Bilston, West Midlands16 November 2017
This company (Bilston) would not know family friendly if it was staring them in the face. If you have young children, avoid this company. If you want to see them grow up. You might see them get their degree if your lucky later in life and that's if you've retired from here! You work the contracted hours of 60 most weeks, very rare you get off early. Supposed to do one night out a week but keep sending me out on at least 2!!!
Pros
money is quite well paid
Cons
ridiculous hours for people with young families, you don't see your children as much as you'd like
awful
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bilston, West Midlands1 September 2017
worked here 6 weeks, their idea of training is yelling at you until you get it then yelling more when you don't.
They use computers for memos only, theres 4 spreadsheets to fill before you even deal with the customers query . Its all paper based so forget about technology as they don't have it, they don't even have proper phones with screens.
No one talks to each other , managers wonder in to complain about you for whatever reason, for example i had some small envelopes on my desk and they complained my desk was a mess.
No one likes each other, nothing there makes any sense, you press this button for this reason but if its some thing else its this but if you don't know you phone this dept and they tell you, there are hundreds of codes to look at that make even less sense and i never heard any one apologise to a customer, for compensation they give flowers so imagine that call when the customer has paid thousands and got poor service, or chips, dents, wrong colour, rubbish to be collected, they fired me as i was common and too friendly, its a customer service role, i have to be friendly, they said i was common as i asked a customer to hang on while i got his order up. Worst place ever and I'm glad they fired me as i now have a better job with great training and its paperless.
Pros
none at all ever ever ever none
Cons
Everything stuck in the 80s rude staff no technology and nonsensical practices..
Very old fashioned
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundee City15 August 2017
Strange operation - staff are great - management clueless. Very old fashioned. No computer in branch or signs but pressure to make appointments. Suggestions ignored.
Pros
Cons
no chance of earning decent commission
Boring line work, not much of a learning curve with different machinery etc.
machine operator (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham21 July 2017
The same thing all day everyday not much experience on anything else than running the one of many machines, i am a person who loves to experience and experimenting all machines and learn how they work.
Pros
Cons
long hours, no overtime.
Sharps
Manageress (Current Employee) –  Truro23 May 2017
I am the manager of sharps bedrooms in Truro and have been for a number of years. I totally enjoy my place of work especially now we have moved into the city of Truro. It's a sopliscated and elegant showroom which is light and airy that is appealing to all members of the public. I totally enjoy my job and have stayed with the company for a number of years and have no desire to leave.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sharps Bedrooms Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.