Shakespeare Martineau

Shakespeare Martineau Employee Reviews

United Kingdom22 reviews
Work culture can be described in one word "Chaos". No option for flexible working and zero reward for hard work.

You can work as hard as you like, if it isn't the way they expect (expectations are never made clear) then they will find ways to make sure you know they are not happy.
This is a very corporate company with high morals however they gave no regard for their staff. The team I worked in was a very pretty backstabbing team, not managed as well as it should have been therefore allowing staff members to get away with bullying and inequality.
Pros
Cons
Do not go there!!!
Good place for a wide variety of people, age, background etc. and support for various work / life balance was good. Has clear vision for expansion and CEO was good at communicating across the Firm.
IT department is a joke. No process or procedures. Horrible work culture. Unaccepting of innovations in terms of technology. Limited opportunities for people from different backgrounds. The salary is not competitive and management say it will depend on the annual review but never goes up!! Plus the service desk is always short staffed !!
Pros
Can’t think of anything
Cons
High work loads and pay is awful
Don’t be fooled by SHMA’s website. It sounds impressive..“We’re deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees”, this is far from the truth! Progression here is very little if not at all.

Many staff go off on long term sick leave or simply resign. The longest any member of staff has remained in their team is two years, the shortest…two weeks! Salary is very poor! Management is poor; ignorance springs to mind.

The Claims Handlers are set unreasonable targets and are stressed.

First Notification of Claims Handlers (FNOC) are micromanaged and undermined by management.

The building looks impressive on the outside but inside it’s not good. The office is always very cold. Staff walk around with their blankets or hot water bottles; some remain in their coats. The toilets do not work and are often left unflushed #disgusting!!! These problems have never been fixed.
Staff moral very low, during the time I was there were many redundancy's. Management disconnected from employees as they were looking out for themselves as there was shift and movement emanating from Head Office .
It's an okay place to work. There isn't much chance for progression and it feels as though the only people that matter are those at the top. I think it depends on your location and team.
Fnol is where a lot of people start, it’s a decent team with nice supervisors. Although, you do all the admin work, and are not allowed to talk- literally you get told off for talking, as if you were a child. This leads to a negative astmosphere and environment to work in. I hear real estate is good, however from the litigation view- stay clear a lot of people are depressed and everyone talks about wanting to leave but having nowhere to go- trapped.

This company has a good external reputation, but internally it is not the best place to be. Those working in the legal sector know the work is not ‘fun’ therefore you need some sort of liveliness in the work place, but this place will take it out of you.

The pay is probably the worst in the industry and no one above I.e partners will take this into consideration. (More money for employees- less for partners, hence LLP set up)

Well I don’t want to sound too negative or off putting but please take into consideration my honest review of this place. There are lovely people here, but this firm has a long way to go.

Yours truly,

Successful escapee.
Pros
Reputation and branding for CV
Cons
Low pay, low morale, no real culture and treated like a child.
The pay was basic, with little room to advance. But it is okay as a stepping stone in the field of law. I do think the company could provide better career opportunities for their staff.
Us and them. If you’re not a partner, you’re not valued. You’re not allowed a sense of humour you just have to tow the line. You can say hello to most partners and they look down on you and don’t respond. Most of them are busy sitting in the pub drinking the profits while the solicitors/ paralegals are doing the work until late and not seeing our families and then there are no rewards, pay rises or bonus’ at the end of it. They expect you to stay late unpaid but as soon as you need the drs, you have to make up your time. Take take take.

You’re expected to be seen but not heard. Your opinion doesn’t count for nothing. They’re great at having meetings about meetings and nothing productive comes from it, and they are very target driven.

You leave this place thinking something is wrong with you and lacking any confidence and self belief that you started with.
Pros
Easy to get to
Cons
Not family friendly
Terrible management....decisions are made with no evidence base in a non fee earning business ops department and then the finger is always pointed...favouritism etc...
Cons
This firm has so much potential and you will work with some great people if you come here. They do have excellent clients and do a lot of high quality work. However in terms of career progression, you will struggle unless you arrive armed with excellent contacts. They are also notoriously bad payers. In the 4 years that I was there, targets went up but salaries lagged behind, and it was known to all Shakespeares employees that they were poorly paid compared to Martineau staff - when this story broke, the partners "declined to comment" on this and ignored the discontent it created.

Management's view has always been "Your career is your responsibility" and "Everyone is expendable". The few partners who do take the time to help you tend to be less influential. It is such a shame that this is the approach of the top partners because there are some excellent lawyers there and the culture in the smaller offices was mostly very good. However staff turnover below Legal Director level is high.
Pros
Training, most of the staff and the work you can do there
Cons
Management culture, salaries, easy to become isolated. Work life balance is not great either
If you are a partner you can look forward to a very good lifestyle with absolutely no financial worries. If you are not a partner I suggest you find out where your nearest food bank is cos you will probably need it. The hours are long and the whole working environment is dull. Their client service is appalling. Stay as far away as possible.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Awful work environment. Team managers know little but because they talk loud, they get heard and treat you as inferior. Partners expect you to treat them like royalty. And to top it off, paralegal/fee earners salaries are barely above the national minimum wage. Progression chances are little to none. For a company that believes itself to have a large national footprint, it's quite an awful place to work at. Certainly the worst place I've worked at. My only advice, stay well away if you want a decent wage for a hard day's work. They'll squeeze every last drop out of you by ensuring youre in at time 9am, never late from lunch and you cannot leave any earlier than 5.30pm. It's like a factory or production line. Just before I left, my team were monitored for how long we went on toilet breaks. Says it all.
Pros
As with every work place, you make good friends due to the struggles you go through at a depressing work place.
Cons
Too many to list
On the whole I enjoyed the work but that was it. Salaries are inconsistent between teams and team members with the same level of experience will find they are each on different salaries. Targets increase at an unreasonable pace when salary stays the same (I was at the firm for 18 months and my target increased by 40%, with not one pay increase the whole time I was there) The Partners are very traditional and expect everyone to wait on their every hand and foot. In a firm that asks you to do your own typing, coping etc, it just does not work. For fee earners working in a team where there is no secretary, you certainly won’t be doing your own admin work! If you are a young woman and not employed as an administrator/secretary, I wouldn’t go anywhere near this firm!
Pros
Work and client contact
Cons
Salary and management
Management are terrible in the Remortgage department, employees leaving every other week as a result of poor management and nature of work. Salary also minimum wage.
Cons
Poorly run, salary
Two firms stuck together that are both as clueless as each other....absolutely udderless!!

No management only people that compute yes.

Progression....haha your joking the ideas come from an episode of Donald Trumps Apprentice. Let's be great! By holding everyone back squeezing them for every penny we can then destroying there confidence and drinking themselves to oblivion.

The worst company I and many others have every worked for I just feel sorry for those left they need help getting out!
Pros
When you get out the exit.
Cons
The list would be a waste of your time.
Very friendly firm to work for and great career development opportunities. Internal applications are almost encouraged. Roles are sufficiently flexible to allow you to develop your own role to take on as much or as little responsibility as you are comfortable with.
Martineau were a great form to work for.....Shakespeare killed that. Hardly any martineau staff remain, which speaks volumes. The facilities team in Birmingham is a joke of a "team". Money is rubbish and any ambitions get squashed.
Pros
You dont work weekends
Cons
You work there all week
Target driven environment whereby both professional and personal development is encouraged.

A multi million pound company that serves it's clients well.
The atmosphere at this workplace is quite entertaining however the company would need to concentrate more on progression.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Long Hours