SGS Employee Reviews

Administration/IT/Finance (Former Employee) –  Camberley24 May 2018
POSITIVE AND INCLUSIVE
SWISS BUSINESS

I worked here for 6 years and it taught me how to get a long with others and I enjoyed the local area and green spaces and flat side of Surrey and Labour work policies.

In fact company did not want me to leave I just got fed up with the cost of fuel petrol for my RED sports car coming being priced in USD and not in GBP.

At least I learned IT, Finance, Business, Communication, Email, Social life, Pharmaceutical and Chemicals Business Import and Export.

Wonderful Team Atmosphere!
Pros
No, Good salary and perks, Work life
Cons
No good work life and paid reasonable. Easy job. London is tougher.
Will let you go if you don't 'fit in'
Medical Device Administrator (Former Employee) –  Worle18 April 2018
Worse place I've ever worked for.. The work load is very hetic. They expect you to keep on top of everything when you're constantly swamped.
They have unrealistic expectations of you, and they will let you go with no notice if you don't meet some. Disgusting. They won't give you room for improvement on these expectations.
They constantly change your duties and their training is show you once and leave you to get on with it.
Management are sometimes rude and will complain quietly about you if you make errors.
Management expect you to deal with calls if they don't want to speak to the caller.
Management belittle you and embarrass you in front of the whole office to the point where it's classed as bullying!!
Management nitpick at you for the littlest thing without giving you the benefit of the doubt, or asking your version of the story.
Very high staff turnover.
I don't reccomend working here
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Where do I start...
Rewarding work
Assistant R&D Trails Agronomist (Former Employee) –  Banbury3 April 2018
Each day is different and each day depends on the weather! There are many different things which need to be done in a day but you are dependant on the weather for many of them. This means flexible hours are a must but, it does mean if you've got good organisational skills this is a place that you will thrive. It can be hard work but not many jobs give you the opportunity to work outside in the summer.
Temporary Gig
Inspector (Former Employee) –  SW District23 February 2018
SGS is a decent company to work for however the work load fluctuates and there are constant layoffs for newly hired individuals.If you are not tenured you are a temporary employee.
Pros
Working in the field
Cons
Micro managed metrics
easy going place
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Bromley South11 February 2018
i started my security career as an agency staff, at Direct Group Group Churchill Court, corporate security officer. Peaceful and nice place to work...
A horrible compant to work at
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire19 September 2017
One of the things that this company does is assist people who have been involved in road traffic accidents and who have been injured.

The company has an exceedingly high turnover rate. People constantly complain that their daily tasks are too high and they are given too many files to handle. I get abuse daily from clients who are frustrated with the process.

Training is practically non-existant and you often have to find things out for yourself. We all strive to do well but we are given too many tasks to do each day that we realistically cannot complete. We are supposed to be giving advice and we are not properly trained for it. Even the Legal Advisors have complained that they are not taught properly hoe to do their job and give legal advice.

Management are always critical and no matter how hard you work they find something to pick at you for. Some of the Legal Advisors are bullies and the way in which they speak to others is very unfair.

nobody here seems to be happy with the job that they are doing and the morale of the company is at an all-time low. It is not a very nice place to work. When I first started, I really wanted to learn but then management was quite mean.
Cons
Bullying management who constantly criticise you, too many files to handle, inadequate training, unsupportive environment, demanding, people are constantly being bullied, little opportunity for advancement
Busy work and a company which is moving in the right direction
Administration (Current Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset1 August 2017
I've been an employee at the Worle office for a number of years and can honestly say that there has definitely been some turbulent times, I am however pleased to say that I can see a real change in attitude towards staff training and overall support for the employee and their work /life balance. This does of course depend on management and as there are a number of departments based at this site the style and attitude of management can differ.

The team and role I have is very busy. The work is interesting and there is ALWAYS something new to learn about.
Pros
The day goes by so quickly, good learning opportunities
Cons
Some big personalities who are "lifers" and may be resistant to change
Managment useless, (too many chiefs and not enough indians)
Oil, Gas and Chemical Inspector (Former Employee) –  Billingham19 May 2017
Odd sort of a shift pattern days, standbys and nights

Good place to start within Oil, Gas and Petrochemicals.
On a shift you would be gauging and sampling shore tanks ready for the loading or discharging of cargo to and from tankers. Do vessel tank inspections, water checks, line displacements, taking representative samples depending on what the client required. Could possibly be required to work away either locally or nationally either onshore or offshore, but you were reimbursed for your expenses.

Decent group of lads that you worked with, would always help you out.

Management totally deluded, would try to get you to work on your days off for no extra pay. Sometimes would try and send you home off day shift to come out and work night shift.

All in all not the worst place to work, but certainly not the best.
Pros
Bonus, Company Car, Expenses Reimbursed
Cons
No overtime, Paybacks!!
Awful management, no organisation or direction
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port11 October 2016
A typical day at work involved ops managers and my line manager wandering around and swearing at various people about things which weren't that persons concern. There was little to no effective management, the blame game was played every day due to issues in the office and out on field and the language and manners of managers left a lot to be desired. I got out as soon as I could as it wasn't doing my wellbeing much good being spoken to like rubbish day in day out. There was always plenty of work to do, but we weren't given the support or provisions to carry the work out effectively.

The best thing and probably only good thing about the job was some of the people I worked with. I would never recommend working here.
Just dont work here
Chemist Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Plymouth9 September 2016
Worked here a year and it was the worst year ever. Management is shocking, pay is bad for what you are expected to do. Your a slave pretty much. I though it would be okay but there is no organisation
Good
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Leicester26 July 2016
A nice place to work, nice work culture, staff are very friendly. Lots of events for charities. Work very repetitive
Pros
Sample sales
Cons
repetitive
Working in industry
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Wokigham13 July 2016
It is a service contract site for testing of pharmaceutical compounds, environmental samples, oils, leachebles.
Completely different from Universities where I worked before joining SGS M-Scan. It is a GxP compliant site and everything is done according to GxP rules-Protocols, SOPs.
It is a very stressful work.

Learnt a lot about the work in industry, but it is not easy.

The colleagues are friendly as we are all in the same position.

Management changed three times in the last 4 years and the rules are changing the them.

Trying to improve and hopefully some day will settle down and will be easer to do our jobs.
Pros
Free lunches from time to time
Cons
GMP/GLP compliante-a lot of stress
It is changing.
ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ashby-De-La-Zouch4 April 2016
It was a great atmosphere at first however that changed as new owners came in and the business grew stale. Also I don't think the area is particularly nice to work. It is isolating and boring.
Pros
Some really nice people.
Cons
Career progression is up in arms.
not enough english working on the site.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  middlesbrough7 October 2015
the job was a good job but the management never got the scaffolding and fittings to the work of place when we needed it to do the work the client wanted doing.
Pros
I worked with some good lads and got plenty of over time.
Cons
never having enough scaffolding and fittings on the job to do the job.
image projected is not inside reality
ops supervision (Former Employee) –  Immingham13 August 2015
Worked here for seven years was made redundant recently the SGS media promotion portrays that this is the best service provider in the world staff are the best in the industry with the best facilities and resources available .....total rubbish they are constantly changing their management at local level there is no support for the staff the workers sometimes put that many hours in that they are bordering on breaking the law no respect for the staff work life balance employees are numbered lumps of meat
Be in " The Clique" and you will be well looked after.
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Teesside22 May 2015
Basic training is OK but 'in depth' training is none existent which puts unfair pressure on Chemists / inspectors when faced with a problem.
Man management is not very good, it's a case of do as you are told or there is the door.
Minimal supervisory training when promotion is achieved but some good training when managerial position attained.
Poor communication of change and / or new systems.
Pros
Better than unemployment
Cons
Bad work / life balance.
Interesting and productive workplace
Temporary, full-time work placement (Former Employee) –  Worle, ENG24 April 2015
I worked on a temporary contract, organizing the paperwork of the Global Medical team, to help make all their paper files into an online format. I learned a lot about organisation and time management.
My manager and other team members were really helpful with any questions I had and made me feel very comfortable working within the office.
Even though the task was very repetitive, i really enjoyed working as part of a team and the whole experience
Pros
Good team members and good experience of working full-time
Cons
Long hours, repetitive tasks
It has lovely colleagues, fast work environment, great students , sometimes you to to be family or friends to work in the department.
College Employablity Trainer (Former Employee) –  Filton11 March 2015
Enjoyable, each day different. My Manager was great very supportive, most colleagues were really nice but it was very tight knit and a bit underhand, for example spying on each other. I would not do that, if it was a case of safeguarding or some body was very out of order then of course I would go straight to my manager. That department is a wee bit to on Whats App.
relaxed company
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  County Durham19 December 2014
relaxed atmosphere and very strong training and promotion ethic.

not good communication between divisions and not very dynamic and pro active
same as other one
Shift Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, ENG18 September 2014
same as other review
dreadful place of work !
Arguments.
people constantly causing trouble
bad management
Pros
non
Cons
as above

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.