Serious Fraud office
Serious Fraud office Employee Review

Exciting and interesting place to work

16 June 2017
Joined in January 2002 as a Admin Officer, promoted to Executive officer in May 2002, Left March 2003 on promotion to Higher Executive Office in a Home Office job.
Worked in the cash office. Given support for my idea to design and implement a bank deposit scheme to safeguard monies seized on arrest, results of property searches, etc., whilst retaining an evidence trail. The aim was not only to safeguard funds kept in the office safe, but to earn interest to defray the cost of any possible compensation claims following failure to convict.

Learnt how to operate bought and sales ledgers. How to audit and reconcile accounts.

I also organised vehicle hire arrangements in multiple locations to enable co-ordinated operations in several locations at the same time, whilst ensuring adequate specification vehicles for different tasks on those diffuse operations.

Hardest part:

I left because I was not allowed to be trained as a fraud investigator due to my being 56. I went on to work in the Home Office as an HEO for 13 more years
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
limited development opportunities
17 February 2020
Digital Forensic Investigator (Former Employee) - London
Flexi hours are really great

Loads of opportunity to develop new skills and training provided

Good working culture and friends

Management is fair and treat everyone equal
16 October 2019
Executive Officer (Former Employee) - London
Imagine travelling back 40 years to the 1970s, think Life on Mars, think of a management culture that is adverse to making decisions, slow and inept. Think of a senior managerial culture of box ticking, tipping hats to progressive thinking and protectionism.

One of the worst places I have ever worked.
9 October 2019
Investigator (Current Employee) - London, Greater London
Work Life balance is the best part of this job, the pay is average other civil service departments pay more for lower grades like the NCA. The departments are lawyer led inline with the roskill model, influx of inexperieced investiagtive lawyers from the private sector hinders productivity and progression of investigations.
The lack of investment in technology causes delays across law enforcement. If you want to gain experience then this is not a good move, you de-skill rapidly and limited training courses are provided.