Play YouTube video button
Information from Serco:

Serco Employee Reviews

United Kingdom899 reviews
My duties and job roles
I was working as a evening cleaner the work environment was calm I was working as a lone worker most of the times meeting set targets following a controlled plan and having weekly aprisal with the onsite manager. I was working most in offices that deals with confidential information and documentation and some money transaction.l went through a back ground check before getting the rile
Unfortunate
I have to work a 13 day fortnight, and regular split shifts to meet my outgoings.

I've stayed for the love of the job and the team spirit I've experienced on a local level.
Horrible management
No one checks on complaints about management because no one cares!
They don’t pay a good wage

Given to much responsibility for no rewards

Bullying from low management
PCO Colchester
If you have a brain do not work for Serco. Worst company in existence no support given when needed, Managers useless and don’t care about safety or wellbeing of staff. They will flog you like a donkey and then take away all your overtime. Wages are not high enough for work done.
stressful
No care taken of bullied employees. Laziness is tolerated. Loyalty counts for nothing nor does reliability. Steer clear of this firm if you have any sense
Leisure centre
Serco has many more types of jobs other than leisure, this sector is very rewarding and have your best interests.You can progress up the ladder if you want , good company to work for.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Shift work
Contract Manager Is Terrible
Worked on the Naval Base in Cornwall.
Monday -Thursday 07:30 - 16:00 & Fridays 07:30 - 13:30. Hours were good.

Former naval service so I knew a lot about engineering.

The culture at this work place is one of bullying, this usually comes directly from the resident contract manager who likes to think she knows everything there is to know. In reality she doesn't understand the engineering side at all.Preferring to rule the roost and make terrible judgements.

If you try to stand up to her you end up being victimised that much it's unbearable and there is not alternative but to leave.

Everyone who works there knows what a liar she is.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Terrible Contract Manager
Serco in Marlow
The local experienced were mostly from High Wycombe and were excellent. A local community that knew their town and the job they had been doing for many years through different contracts. My supervisor was outstanding and was generally gutted when he was told to fire me. The Serco management that came in appeared to be hopeless. I had little direct contact myself, but the bad feeling created and the turnover of contract managers, experienced drivers, office staff, the hopeless planning evidenced by the new bin rollout which only achieved 90% of bin deliveries. I was told that the plan for refuse collection was the same as Milton Keynes, which is a flat, in a grid, with plenty of space to manouvre the vehicle, is modern so has no hidden away roads and less remote places. High Wycombe is in a valley, with steep hills, meandering streets, some very narrow, hard to find locations and rural locations with large difficult to find properties. I was not directly involved but witnessed many disgruntled experienced staff, those who were sacked as they earned more from a previous contract, and were replaced by people who had little evidence of driving ability. 12 contract managers in 2 years, I believe, who were sacked for failing to complete an impossible contract. It was rumoured that there were deliberate attempts to disrupt drivers with higher pay to get them to leave to be replaced with lower paid inexperienced people from outside the area. I was told people were asked to work in the office for 6 months on probation to get more money, then return to driving with no extra money paid, - more...
Not to bad
Was quite a nice job, although a little overworked, times was a bit difficult finished quite late, if you dont drive then have to wait for public transport
Need to Change organisational Skills
Managers love pampering by the staff and there isn't any professional development programme towards improving. you are not seved equally even you have better experinece bunless you can pamper
Progressive company with interesting work
I work within the group/shared services function and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the company. There is a strong sense of company values, culture and support which is shared by everyone I have worked with. The sectors and contracts we have as a company are really interesting as well and its always fascinating to go and visit them
Not enough money for the job we do
Staff and colleagues are the highlight of the job. Management are poor, the prisoners are the priority. Violence, drugs and self harm on a daily basis. £9.80 an hour is just not enough for the requirements of the job.
Horrendous
Favouritism on its peak. They pick and choose. There’s no merit base progression. If you just want a job to earn money and go home this will be the prefect job for you.
Restrictive environment and incompetent management
Working within this office in Newcastle has positives and negatives, however the negatives largely outweigh the positives. The company has an unusual practice of a high turnover hiring process in which all employees are first recruited as careers advisers. There is opportunity to move within the contract office, however this almost never represents progression as you can find yourself being moved onto a much more complicated project with no additional renumeration. The best thing about the job is the people and that is a disappointing minimum for any company to reach.

In an office with up to a hundred staff there are two inadequate cloakroom areas, with pegs for something like 15-20 coats. Lockers are largely broken or are occupied by staff members who take their keys home with them. The canteen space is similarly inadequate for the number of staff, even with shifted lunches. There are missing chairs which were not replaced in the 9 months I worked there. There are two fridges which are just about adequate for the number of staff.

Managers themselves mostly have a positive and encouraging attitude, however they are competency issues.

There are concerning management structures in place within Serco's public contract at Newcastle Upon Tyne. Inexperienced and poorly trained managers who are handed more responsibilites than they can manage, inadequate equipment and poor human resources management has led to a culture of extremely high turnover. Further concerns include a lack of prayer space which has repeatedly been fed back and ignored by management.
Demanding
Management demanding unreasonable requests when working away from home. Forced to work away from home then told to drive in own time to get to work in work van, which would mea being uninsured. After meeting with management advising to look for another job or would probably be made redundant.
A few classes a week. Minimal interaction between me and management. Lack of support. Customers are what make the job.
I am looking for a change. Something that involves outdoors possibly and not necessarily to do with the Fitness industry.
I consider myself to be very thoughtful and considerate with a good level of customer care.

I am fit and healthy partaking in exercise most days of the week. I have no health issues and am in an excellent shape.
Not Great.
It was okay. Not the best place to be fair. Management never really knew whether they were coming or going. You never knew how secure your job was....
Not paid enough
Would not go back as they want you to work weekends after a bank holiday and not pay you the going rate which is time and a half for Saturday and double time for Sunday it’s a rip off and I won’t be going back as they don’t treat you with the respect they think that you have to go in I’ve got a home life
Stressful and micro managing culture
Worked there for 2 years. Met all requirements no issues with my work but no advancement, no salary discussions ever! Management culture is like a secret society. Never again. Who says private companies pay better. After 2 years in same job for govt was paid heaps more. Serco = 2 years on 51,000 NZ Govt start on 58,000 after 2 years on 68,000, 3.5 years now and on 78,000. SERCO PAH!
The people you work with and for make the difference.
Obtaining necessary/relevant information to support Lincolnshire County Council Service Users is paramount.
Working with Social Workers that I had worked with previously was satisfying, knowing they could come to me and I understood what they were talking about.

Talking to Service Users, answering questions and solving problems they may have as I had access to their Support Workers directly.

The team work that was built with other staff members and still remains now.
Good company
Although I didn’t spend much time here and was on a zero hour contract I enjoyed the hours and the team. I enjoyed the interconnectedness of the business and advancement opportunities.