Sellafield Ltd Employee Reviews

Great company
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Cumbria24 August 2019
Worked here for 4 years. The salary is good and the prospects for advancement are high. I enjoy the work/life balance the salary affords me and my family.
Over the top
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cumbria22 July 2019
Many people here are not willing to adopt or accept current industry best practice for many of the scopes of work being done on site. The desire to apply Nuclear standards to everything is over the top and results in excessive costs and time to complete the tasks.
Good place bad times
Equipment Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sellafield, Cumbria30 April 2019
Sellafield is a slow and bureaucratic place, but this is due to the high hazard nature of a lot of the work.

It's nice to be involved in big, interesting problems.

The company does pour a lot of money into training and development, but the culture is such that it can be hard to put it into practice or try doing things in new or different ways.

I think it is a good launchpad for an early career, but the new terms and conditions are not so competitive so it would probably be best to leave after a couple of years.

Sellafield is a very big place, so it's hard to give a general description of the culture. Essentially, employees can be divided into those who do nothing, and those who do far too much.

The hardest part of the job is jumping through all of the hurdles which turn things you would never even consider outside of the nuclear industry into very big time-consuming problems, like bringing people onto site is a multi-day problem. Most jobs and paperwork require buy-in and signatures from many stakeholders so you have to persuade a lot of people before getting anything done. It can be very frustrating and demoralizing.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting involved in some very large and unique problems at a large and unique site. If you cannot tell a few good stories (nothing sensitive!) to your friends and family every month you are probably not getting as involved as you should.

As Operations end and the company pivots toward decommissioning, terms and conditions are being eroded and there will be many excess staff, so it is hard to know if Sellafield
  more... will remain a nice place to work.  less
Trust in procedures
Process worker and also a Quality Controller (Former Employee) –  Cumbria28 April 2019
lots of changes taking place in the last few years. cannot really say to much as the roles i took part in came under secrets act. Miss some of the people that I worked with
Pros
salary
alright
Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Whitehaven, Cumbria14 April 2019
working here is ok, good salary and excellent benefits. Visibility of work is poor and job satisfaction is low occasionally with company wide struggle to motivate through lack of ownership. Could be due to company size.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
silo mentality within business
The job was interesting, and comprised a Health and Safety cukture second to none.
Process Chargehand (Former Employee) –  Sellafield Limited. Cunbria4 April 2019
Enjoyed my 32 years at Sellafield, but decided if I did not move when I did I would still be in Cumbria today. Retirement was not for me, I still have something to offer in any workplace.
Pros
Continental shifts were great
Cons
12 hour shifts were voted in . Did not like these.
Extremely good pay but very limited progression
Project Planning Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seascale4 April 2019
A Great company to work for if you have had your feet under the desk for 10+ years however all newer members of staff will struggle to gain any form of real progression
Dinosaur in death throes
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chapel Bank, Workington20 January 2019
Sellafield has not moved with the times and finds increasingly creative ways of wasting money.

The Information Services Organisation claims to embrace 'Agile' but then spends six months debating how to do something that was
a) Vital to the business
b) Would have taken 3 weeks to develop technically

They have recently just got rid of 25% of their agency workers (who actually do the work) to save money in the short term.
IWM work planner
IWM Work Planner (Current Employee) –  Sellafield28 November 2018
Organising work from a start base up until work delivery week, putting together work packs, writing risk assessments, conducting stakeholder meeting, liaising with management on scopes of work, managing the schedule but to name a few of my tasks
Fleible schedules and super friendly staff
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Warrington11 November 2018
Everyone there seemed to enjoy it and I don't know of anyone leaving other than retiring. Some younger staff got placed on projects they didn't enjoy although that was only because that plant was near enough fully decommisioned. Really friendly culture, anyone will help you any day. Most the staff are old, the average age there is around 10 years older than other places I've seen. Safety is number one in absoluetly everything they do, you cannot even use the stairs without getting dirty looks if you don't hold the handraillings. The single reason I left it was becuase of the location being far away from my hobbies.
Excellent place to work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cumbria24 October 2018
Good for development and excellent colleagues. Lots of rules and regulations and red tape which hinders many pieces of work but this is the way the nuclear industry has to be!
Maintenance manager (Current Employee) –  Sellafield, Cumbria20 October 2018
learned a lot about nuclear safety while in a lead engineer role on site. As a maintenance manager I upskilled to oversea PUWER and conventional safety.
Interesting project
Project Management Support, Major Projects (Former Employee) –  Warrington15 October 2018
Fascinating project.

Working in a multi disciplined team with professional people.

Good location and facilities.

Opportunities to learn new skills.
poor management
Office Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Birchwood, Cheshire15 October 2018
poor management and organisation on my first day i was left alone in a dead office with nothing to do. I was then moved about from sector to sector with no real allocated member of staff and the days dragged as hardly no training or work today, not for the want of asking mind. I was then told that they did not really need me as a sector had changed there mind just after they had given me the job so was just a waste of time. people are like robots here not a happy or good place to work
Pros
free parking
Cons
everything
Various in my time (Current Employee) –  Whitehaven, Cumbria20 September 2018
Great place to work, all staff are well paid. There is lots of training and development available for those that want to progress. Great opportunities for progression.
Good salary but inept management.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Cumbria16 August 2018
The salary at Sellafield is good, especially when working on a shift pattern with barrier allowances. However the management is inept, with plant maintenance a low priority and decreasing flexibility. The culture is to do as little as one can get away with.
Stagnant and Depressive workplace.
An apprenticeship in mechanical design (Former Employee) –  Seascale9 April 2018
Although working as an apprentice, I saw allot of time wasted particularly when information needed to travel between departments for various comments or changed. The environment is that of workers believing they are on 10 year, with no fear of job loss and thus no motivation to progress work.
Work days felt dragged out as most of an employees time was spent waiting on responses from other people or departments.
Pros
Good wage, good employment bonuses
Cons
Depressing, stagnant.
EHS&Q Advisor
Environmental Health Safety and Quality Monitor (Former Employee) –  Cumbria6 March 2018
A very positive experience. Excellent leadership. Great colleagues and truly interesting work. A beautiful location set in the Cumbrian Lake District.
Refer to review below
Process Chargehand (Former Employee) –  Magnox reprocessing plants. Sellafield20 October 2017
Kept busy, enjoyed.
Multi skilled, attended many courses {safety}.
Management, good.
Good.
Plant shutdowns.
Achieving targets.
Safety, safety, always.
Pros
Pay. Conditions.
Cons
introduction of 12 hour shifts
Great work/life balance
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Workington, Cumbria19 October 2017
Great people, good benefits, fantastic work/life balance. Bureaucracy can make getting things done difficult but satisfying when success is delivered.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sellafield Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2