Sellafield Ltd

Sellafield Ltd Employee Reviews

United Kingdom49 reviews
no pressure get on and get the job completed ,you are not allowed to talk to much about your job for security reasons therefore i am unable to write about my position
The purpose of Sellafield is to safely process the legacy of nuclear waste produced in the UK and shut down. It is a shrinking organisation with no plan, desire or government mission to expand or diversify. Having said that, it can provide a relatively secure work place for the next few generations of workers.
Pros
Can't close down as it's government backed and needed.
Cons
Limited opportunities.
the company has a poor record of treating contractors. There is a lot of bullying on site, the majority of workers are "lifers", good relationships with ground level staff but many managers are not very approachable. The government should instigate an investigation into the site safety as a result of the bullying - after all it is an ex-nuclear site with poor worker relations
Pros
good relatonships with non managerial staff
Cons
being not appreciated
Good place to work,lots of people work there and you make lots of good friends I think the bad thing about sellafield is all the paperwork that had to be gotten prior to doing work but this was for a reason it was to make the place safe for all to work at.
Long hours not alot of work to be done becomes very boring . Great work colleagues management not much help job security always at a risk due to been contracted
As an apprentice I was trained in all company policies and procedures as well as gaining training to use all of the computer programs associated with my role.
Sellafield presents a lot of challenges working in a Nuclear environment, this allows you to gain vital experience in problem solving and help instil extremely high standards of work and safety.

Because of the many problems which can be faced working on a Nuclear site finishing jobs and being apart of successful projects is highly rewarding.
Company has excellent reputation, and competive salary benefits. The conpany offers training, flexible and part time working. Employs over 10.000 people
Worked here for 4 years. The salary is good and the prospects for advancement are high. I enjoy the work/life balance the salary affords me and my family.
Many people here are not willing to adopt or accept current industry best practice for many of the scopes of work being done on site. The desire to apply Nuclear standards to everything is over the top and results in excessive costs and time to complete the tasks.
Sellafield is a slow and bureaucratic place, but this is due to the high hazard nature of a lot of the work.

It's nice to be involved in big, interesting problems.

The company does pour a lot of money into training and development, but the culture is such that it can be hard to put it into practice or try doing things in new or different ways.

I think it is a good launchpad for an early career, but the new terms and conditions are not so competitive so it would probably be best to leave after a couple of years.

Sellafield is a very big place, so it's hard to give a general description of the culture. Essentially, employees can be divided into those who do nothing, and those who do far too much.

The hardest part of the job is jumping through all of the hurdles which turn things you would never even consider outside of the nuclear industry into very big time-consuming problems, like bringing people onto site is a multi-day problem. Most jobs and paperwork require buy-in and signatures from many stakeholders so you have to persuade a lot of people before getting anything done. It can be very frustrating and demoralizing.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting involved in some very large and unique problems at a large and unique site. If you cannot tell a few good stories (nothing sensitive!) to your friends and family every month you are probably not getting as involved as you should.

As Operations end and the company pivots toward decommissioning, terms and conditions are being eroded and there will be many excess staff, so it is hard to know if Sellafield
 - more...
lots of changes taking place in the last few years. cannot really say to much as the roles i took part in came under secrets act. Miss some of the people that I worked with
Pros
salary
Cons
working here is ok, good salary and excellent benefits. Visibility of work is poor and job satisfaction is low occasionally with company wide struggle to motivate through lack of ownership. Could be due to company size.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
silo mentality within business
Enjoyed my 32 years at Sellafield, but decided if I did not move when I did I would still be in Cumbria today. Retirement was not for me, I still have something to offer in any workplace.
Pros
Continental shifts were great
Cons
12 hour shifts were voted in . Did not like these.
A Great company to work for if you have had your feet under the desk for 10+ years however all newer members of staff will struggle to gain any form of real progression
Sellafield has not moved with the times and finds increasingly creative ways of wasting money.

The Information Services Organisation claims to embrace 'Agile' but then spends six months debating how to do something that was

a) Vital to the business

b) Would have taken 3 weeks to develop technically

They have recently just got rid of 25% of their agency workers (who actually do the work) to save money in the short term.
Organising work from a start base up until work delivery week, putting together work packs, writing risk assessments, conducting stakeholder meeting, liaising with management on scopes of work, managing the schedule but to name a few of my tasks
Everyone there seemed to enjoy it and I don't know of anyone leaving other than retiring. Some younger staff got placed on projects they didn't enjoy although that was only because that plant was near enough fully decommisioned. Really friendly culture, anyone will help you any day. Most the staff are old, the average age there is around 10 years older than other places I've seen. Safety is number one in absoluetly everything they do, you cannot even use the stairs without getting dirty looks if you don't hold the handraillings. The single reason I left it was becuase of the location being far away from my hobbies.
Good for development and excellent colleagues. Lots of rules and regulations and red tape which hinders many pieces of work but this is the way the nuclear industry has to be!
learned a lot about nuclear safety while in a lead engineer role on site. As a maintenance manager I upskilled to oversea PUWER and conventional safety.
Fascinating project.

Working in a multi disciplined team with professional people.

Good location and facilities.

Opportunities to learn new skills.