Selfridges Management reviews

great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bond Street Station8 October 2018
its good place to work meet a lot of nice people gain a lot of skills aswell as luxury customer service skills. management is great people are very passionate about the job however very kind and welcoming especially to the newbies and yeah overall a very fun place to work as theres always something going on
Pros
meet good people, amazing bathroom facilities, eg shower straightners, blowdryer, mirrior ect
Cons
no cons
unprofessional
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester6 August 2018
I personally think banning someone who used to work for you (and you know was good) is extremely unprofessional and immature.
Management are rude and useless.
Worst job I’ve ever ever come across
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 June 2018
I was a Christmas temp working for own bought , taken on after working in a concession for 2 years with no issue. Was told by my manager that I would be kept on after Christmas for definite. My manager called me up to the pod on the Monday and offered me the job, the following Saturday I wasn’t well but was told if I didn’t come in the offer would be taken away. So I came in with a doctors note plus medication later on that day she called me up to the management suite and said she will no longer be making me permanent. I celebrated with family which was a waste of time. My sales were amazing also feedback from customers was 10/10. No training provided thrown in the deep end, avoid if you have kids too this company has no values I can’t believe how much I done for this company and the treatment I got back!!!!!!! PLEASE AVOID
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Management, Support, Everything !
Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London18 May 2018
Typical day customers come in and out not very busy
I learnt how to make sushi and how to deal with customers and using the till
Management was not a strong pointer as employment contract was delayed and incorrect salary pay twice for me
Busy day at the counter when serving customers
Counter staff working together
fun
salers (Current Employee) –  Birmingham14 May 2018
good job its a nice place to work. I just cannot see any movement for me right at this time.
they look after their staff, and I couldn't say a bad thing about the management.
High paced luxury retail environment
Senior Sales / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London8 May 2018
Had a great time here, I received glowing customer reviews and exceptional recognition from my managers and directors. This was my last role before relocating to Spain.

I have references from this high profile employmer.
Pros
Celebrity meetings, luxurious environment and a great dynamic team
Cons
High risk of terrorist attacks and internal security issues
innovative
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  London15 April 2018
Great place to be part of, amazing windows, amazing brands & truly innovative.

A typical day at work, is attending from management brief to set the tone for the day to sharing does information with our team.

Being present on the floor and leading from the front with customer enquiries or product.

We do communicate via whats up a lot, always loading update on high value sale, new product, launch ect.. recognise team member performance ect..
Pros
Discount
Cons
Great working in your concession - Management do not value their employees.
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 April 2018
Favoritism, cutting corners & demeaning.

Floor managers ask for the impossible & to provide service the same as our competitor.

My Actual manager cut many corners and not on as its a Food concession.

Anybody from upstairs think they are prestige and have their nose turned up everywhere they walk.
Pros
Free Lunchs & Tronc
Cons
Dont feel valued, made to feel that others are better than you.
Feedback
Brand Manager for Proenza Schouler (Former Employee) –  Greater London12 March 2018
Selfridges has been one of my greatest experience. A topical day at work would start by a short daily brief, held by the floor management team. Followed by meeting up with my team to set up the day and go through our monthly and daily targets, take care of new deliveries, check our client list for clientele, vm etc..
Workplace have been full of energy, inspiring and motivating.
The hardest part of the job was mostly when your day gone by and there are lots of things left to do.
The most enjoyable part was the wide rang of product instore and how much you could offer our clients.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Late shifts
not good for people that care
no (Former Employee) –  nono10 March 2018
If you wanna make commisson, then selfridges aint half bad. However, if you want to be in a positive supportive environment while you work, then no pick somewhere else. Managers not supportive and all and lack confidentiality. As long as you make money for them they dont really care how unhappy you are. Transfer within selfridges is not allowed, which particularly is unfair. There is so much more. long story short if you want to be respected and treated well this aint the place to be.
Pros
commission
Cons
No respect no one cares about anything other than money
Employees not valued
Online fulfilment associate (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 March 2018
For a large corporation like Selfridges, you would expect the benefits and progression rate to be high.
However, employees are not valued at all, suspected as thieves and those that exceed their work are not acknowledged at all unless you are bum chums with the managers.
A people factory
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 February 2018
Great staff, terrible management and systems and processes not fit for purpose
The first thing I was told by my acting boss on my first day was that they operated a blame culture, to be fair they were correct !
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Good Place to Start
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London15 February 2018
Excellent place to work. Loved the sustainability aspect - team are not allowed plastic bottles on the shop floor.
Great team, management lacked people development skills, so you need to be a self started to advance.
Pros
Cycling to work, staff discount
Cons
lack of opportunities
Great company
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 February 2018
Great benefits such as generous discount but management was an issue depending on your department. also a lot of construction which was detrimental to staff for long periods of time. exposed to cold and extreme noise issues with people getting sick due to bad conditions. company invested in staff a lot.
Pros
discounts
Cons
poor management
Far from Perfect
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  exchange2 February 2018
So, Selfridges is known to be a luxurious brand but having worked for them for months i find it just a casual store thats outdated , the management is kind of poor in regards to being structured, before my first shift i had to ask my manager for the rota. The customer service team that i was put in, was a lot of hard work compared to just standing and selling a product at the concessions. The pressure was on the customer service team, if you returned an item incorrectly it had a massive effect on the stock of the concessions and where the returned item will be going to. Overall the job is challenging but you get told by customers what you're doing is really easy, its actually not. Also, in regards to my induction i wasn't trained anything to do with customer service, i had to learn about the history of Selfridges and till training which wasn't really enough if you're joining the customer service C&C team. I had to learn everything on the job, making so many mistakes but eventually learnt from them, thats what matters the most.
Usually, during Christmas times theres always an opportunity for over time however, not much on normal days. i was recognised for always coming in for over time in the last minute and was very appreciated especially during the Christmas period.
Pros
staff discount after doing 3 months, then you'll receive it which will be worth it. also pay is good too
Cons
long hours especially on a sunday when its really quiet, also the DJ plays depressing music which makes it worse.
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 January 2018
Great/fun atmosphere to work in. Always busy and loads of work to do if you enjoy working in a busy retail department store. Busy environment and great management.
Lack of values
MEN'S PERSONAL SHOPPING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street26 October 2017
Most enjoyable: the staff and the creativity side
Workplace culture: Not people oriented.
Management: Not supportive
I learned that luxury retailing is not for me... I felt very unhappy there.
Pros
Meeting famous people in our premium space
Cons
Authoritarian management, poor attitude
negative
manager (Former Employee) –  food hall23 October 2017
incredibly long working hours due to very little organisation and lack of planning. no appreciations and somehow unethical workplace. lack of professionalism at all levels.
exhausting shifts, last minutes demands, no recognitions. lack of communication means that you are receiving different and contradictory instructions from the different managers. you might witness argument between bosses on a regular bases. very depressing workplace. not recommended
Cons
disorganised, unethical, unfair, expectation unclear, long shifts
Pleasant place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 September 2017
Selfridges children's department has always been a place of wonder, although in recent years I feel the management has gone downhill as certain individuals bring a negative energy to the company.

A normal day would include stock checks, some visual merchandising and checking all sizes are put out on the floor. Briefing team members on what needs to be done and what the targets for the day are. We would then spend time helping our customers and making sure the concession was always presentable and welcoming. When the day was over we would have a quick meeting to see what figures we had produced, then cash up and head home.

The hardest part of the job was being blamed for the lack of foot fall in the children's department itself.

The most enjoyable was seeing our customers happy with their purchases and customer service, and because of this; returning again at a later date.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
long hours, unpleasant management, not enough stock
fun place to work.
Accounts Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London21 July 2017
higher management are great, accessible and take time to understand.
direct line manager is incompetent

no to very little progression
unequal workloads for same level staff.
Pros
nice view of a lake from building. FIFA in the breakout area
Cons
no progression. some managers more flexible than others. unfair environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Selfridges. Our community is ready to answer.

Selfridges Reviews by Location