Selfridges Management reviews

Poor place to work
Purchase Ledger Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester14 January 2019
Only benefit of working here would be the discount

-Poor management and of delegating workload - rewarded by your hard work of being given other incompetent members of staff to do
-Incredibly b**hy immature colleagues
- very poor salary and no progression
- very unprofessional behaviour by other members of staff- not a nice working environment with a lot of negative attitude by others
Pros
Nice office, great discount
Cons
Colleagues, salary, no progression
Working for Kurt Geiger
BRAND AMBASSADOR (Current Employee) –  London26 November 2018
Worst management I have ever, EVER come across. The rota is unfair, the hours and days are unbearable. 1% commision is so low compared to other brands in selfridges. Payroll always get my wage incorrect. They dont pay you holiday and there is limited sick pay. When I fell very ill I ran out of sick pay and had no money for months. The managers are unorganised, unfair and very lazy and unproffesional. It seems most managers across selfridges are this way.
Pros
discount
Cons
long hours, unfair rota
Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London18 May 2018
Typical day customers come in and out not very busy
I learnt how to make sushi and how to deal with customers and using the till
Management was not a strong pointer as employment contract was delayed and incorrect salary pay twice for me
Busy day at the counter when serving customers
Counter staff working together
worst place to work
TAILOR FITTER (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street5 November 2018
Too many management layers who all look at everyone under them with jealousy. They talk about development and your future but this doesn't come true unless you are up the managers ****. The only good thing are the other workers on the floor, all very nice and friendly. There is NO work life balance only work work work. Your are there to serve the rich.
Pros
n/a
Cons
everything
Worst job I’ve ever ever come across
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 June 2018
I was a Christmas temp working for own bought , taken on after working in a concession for 2 years with no issue. Was told by my manager that I would be kept on after Christmas for definite. My manager called me up to the pod on the Monday and offered me the job, the following Saturday I wasn’t well but was told if I didn’t come in the offer would be taken away. So I came in with a doctors note plus medication later on that day she called me up to the management suite and said she will no longer be making me permanent. I celebrated with family which was a waste of time. My sales were amazing also feedback from customers was 10/10. No training provided thrown in the deep end, avoid if you have kids too this company has no values I can’t believe how much I done for this company and the treatment I got back!!!!!!! PLEASE AVOID
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Management, Support, Everything !
Employees not valued
Online fulfilment associate (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 March 2018
For a large corporation like Selfridges, you would expect the benefits and progression rate to be high.
However, employees are not valued at all, suspected as thieves and those that exceed their work are not acknowledged at all unless you are bum chums with the managers.
great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bond Street Station8 October 2018
its good place to work meet a lot of nice people gain a lot of skills aswell as luxury customer service skills. management is great people are very passionate about the job however very kind and welcoming especially to the newbies and yeah overall a very fun place to work as theres always something going on
Pros
meet good people, amazing bathroom facilities, eg shower straightners, blowdryer, mirrior ect
Cons
no cons
Great company
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 February 2018
Great benefits such as generous discount but management was an issue depending on your department. also a lot of construction which was detrimental to staff for long periods of time. exposed to cold and extreme noise issues with people getting sick due to bad conditions. company invested in staff a lot.
Pros
discounts
Cons
poor management
innovative
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  London15 April 2018
Great place to be part of, amazing windows, amazing brands & truly innovative.

A typical day at work, is attending from management brief to set the tone for the day to sharing does information with our team.

Being present on the floor and leading from the front with customer enquiries or product.

We do communicate via whats up a lot, always loading update on high value sale, new product, launch ect.. recognise team member performance ect..
Pros
Discount
unprofessional
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester6 August 2018
I personally think banning someone who used to work for you (and you know was good) is extremely unprofessional and immature.
Management are rude and useless.
Feedback
Brand Manager for Proenza Schouler (Former Employee) –  Greater London12 March 2018
Selfridges has been one of my greatest experience. A topical day at work would start by a short daily brief, held by the floor management team. Followed by meeting up with my team to set up the day and go through our monthly and daily targets, take care of new deliveries, check our client list for clientele, vm etc..
Workplace have been full of energy, inspiring and motivating.
The hardest part of the job was mostly when your day gone by and there are lots of things left to do.
The most enjoyable part was the wide rang of product instore and how much you could offer our clients.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Late shifts
A new world opens
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG22 September 2015
This job was my first role in general. Having secured a position with my school for work experience, the day would normally start earlier than school, and finish a lot later. I would interact with potential clients, share my knowledge on the product of the area I was involved in, stocking of the shelves, keeping the area tidy, and had so much fun it was hard not to smile. The management was very helpful and impeccably organised, so I took the two skills with me. customer service, and organisation. The hardest part of the job was leaving. Although I was not receiving a salary, I felt I had learnt a substantial amount of insight, into the world of the high street, in the 2 weeks I was there.
Pros
Flexible working hours, meeting new people, discount on designer brand
Cons
The journey time.
Bad management, great staff and discounts.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester16 May 2017
The majority of the managers were difficult to communicate with, they seem enthusiastic about resolving issues then put them at the bottom of their to-do list.

The staff I worked with were great, however it is a demanding and extremely competitive role!

Salary and commission was amazing.

No room for progression. Majority of managers are managers because of who they know, not what they know..
Pros
Commission
Cons
Bad management. No progression.
Very self centered environment
sales (Former Employee) –  Manchester Central3 August 2018
Welcome to world where you get recognised for how much you laugh at a manager's joke, how double faced and pretentious you are. if you don't mind to be treated like a child and you are good at keeping your head down to get what you want, can put on different heads, willing to change to what your managers want you to be and love playing the whatever it takes to get to where i want even if it means to become a double/ fake personality then welcome to the jungle where favoritism is key.
Meet your unwanted side of your self when working there. And sorry in advance if you are foreign very unlikely to progress.
when i you start a job in selfridges be ready to get thrown into a sieve where only the most self centered and and far from genuine people will get through, but having said that it's down to you if you like playing the game like they'll always tell in Selfridges ''you have to play the game'' then this is the place for you. most people would advise you to work for a concession within the department store rather than selfridges it self. pay is poor and treatment is not for everyone. the did however win a few best department store in the world award ;) wonder how? check out selfridges on the outside of its body which is the told facts ''media, advertisement'' customer reviews maybe. however, if you want to check out the untold you have to get down there and get your self a job. otherwise like me you will be motivated to get your self out of there after a maximum of one year and end up doing what you love.
not a hater review but a true person to my self,, the moment you start
  more... working there you'll mostly staff talking about leaving.
To be clear, not just putting a negative review on here, i will be publishing a book about life behind fashion retail doors and selfridges will be one of them :).
Pros
Discounts, Location, Canteen
Cons
Pay, Management, Progression
Great working in your concession - Management do not value their employees.
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 April 2018
Favoritism, cutting corners & demeaning.

Floor managers ask for the impossible & to provide service the same as our competitor.

My Actual manager cut many corners and not on as its a Food concession.

Anybody from upstairs think they are prestige and have their nose turned up everywhere they walk.
Pros
Free Lunchs & Tronc
Cons
Dont feel valued, made to feel that others are better than you.
not good for people that care
no (Former Employee) –  nono10 March 2018
If you wanna make commisson, then selfridges aint half bad. However, if you want to be in a positive supportive environment while you work, then no pick somewhere else. Managers not supportive and all and lack confidentiality. As long as you make money for them they dont really care how unhappy you are. Transfer within selfridges is not allowed, which particularly is unfair. There is so much more. long story short if you want to be respected and treated well this aint the place to be.
Pros
commission
Cons
No respect no one cares about anything other than money
fun
salers (Current Employee) –  Birmingham14 May 2018
good job its a nice place to work. I just cannot see any movement for me right at this time.
they look after their staff, and I couldn't say a bad thing about the management.
Pleasant place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 September 2017
Selfridges children's department has always been a place of wonder, although in recent years I feel the management has gone downhill as certain individuals bring a negative energy to the company.

A normal day would include stock checks, some visual merchandising and checking all sizes are put out on the floor. Briefing team members on what needs to be done and what the targets for the day are. We would then spend time helping our customers and making sure the concession was always presentable and welcoming. When the day was over we would have a quick meeting to see what figures we had produced, then cash up and head home.

The hardest part of the job was being blamed for the lack of foot fall in the children's department itself.

The most enjoyable was seeing our customers happy with their purchases and customer service, and because of this; returning again at a later date.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
long hours, unpleasant management, not enough stock
Fun and easy going workplace
Stock Administrator (Current Employee) –  Manchester22 February 2017
Relaxed atmosphere. Alot of training given throughout my time here, helping you learn the job role. Salary is very poor though, especially if you see yourself trying to progress here. Management are the worse aspect in this company, hardly any of them are people orientated.
Pros
Holidays & Relaxed enviornment
A people factory
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 February 2018
Great staff, terrible management and systems and processes not fit for purpose
The first thing I was told by my acting boss on my first day was that they operated a blame culture, to be fair they were correct !
Pros
Cons
too many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Selfridges. Our community is ready to answer.

Selfridges Reviews by Location