Selfridges Employee Reviews

Good Place to Start
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London15 February 2018
Excellent place to work. Loved the sustainability aspect - team are not allowed plastic bottles on the shop floor.
Great team, management lacked people development skills, so you need to be a self started to advance.
Pros
Cycling to work, staff discount
Cons
lack of opportunities
Funny, team work, professional, comfortable,
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  London12 February 2018
The training staffs are really nice people, patient, warm hearted, friendly,..., as i can well remember when we were at Duke Street doing the whole day induction of different positions in retail marketing.
Loved my 2 week placement with VM Creative Team Birmingham
Visual Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 February 2018
Friendly, welcoming, knowledgeable. I would love to work for Selfridges! That would be my dream job. Loved everything about. Best placement ever and gave me a real insight in to what I want to do!
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Not having a job available for me, my dream company to work for!
Great company
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 February 2018
Great benefits such as generous discount but management was an issue depending on your department. also a lot of construction which was detrimental to staff for long periods of time. exposed to cold and extreme noise issues with people getting sick due to bad conditions. company invested in staff a lot.
Pros
discounts
Cons
poor management
Far from Perfect
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  exchange2 February 2018
So, Selfridges is known to be a luxurious brand but having worked for them for months i find it just a casual store thats outdated , the management is kind of poor in regards to being structured, before my first shift i had to ask my manager for the rota. The customer service team that i was put in, was a lot of hard work compared to just standing and selling a product at the concessions. The pressure was on the customer service team, if you returned an item incorrectly it had a massive effect on the stock of the concessions and where the returned item will be going to. Overall the job is challenging but you get told by customers what you're doing is really easy, its actually not. Also, in regards to my induction i wasn't trained anything to do with customer service, i had to learn about the history of Selfridges and till training which wasn't really enough if you're joining the customer service C&C team. I had to learn everything on the job, making so many mistakes but eventually learnt from them, thats what matters the most.
Usually, during Christmas times theres always an opportunity for over time however, not much on normal days. i was recognised for always coming in for over time in the last minute and was very appreciated especially during the Christmas period.
Pros
staff discount after doing 3 months, then you'll receive it which will be worth it. also pay is good too
Cons
long hours especially on a sunday when its really quiet, also the DJ plays depressing music which makes it worse.
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 January 2018
Great/fun atmosphere to work in. Always busy and loads of work to do if you enjoy working in a busy retail department store. Busy environment and great management.
Productive, fun place to work
VM (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London24 January 2018
Its definitely a Fun and creative place to work, Each day is different to the last.

Managing a work/home balance can be hard but its definitely rewarding.
Pros
discount
Productive working place
Temp Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 January 2018
Selfridges is a great place to be a part of the mix of different culture and the friendly staff make you feel welcome. it can get really busy at times through out the year so if you can handle this then this could be a great experience for you.
Exciting retail environment
Kids and Toys Brand Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 January 2018
Selfridges is an exciting retail employer, offering generous discounts and incentives, job stability and the opportunity to progress in a variety of departments and functions.

The job involves working alongside many different teams, all working as one to drive success in a busy retail environment.
Pros
Generous discounts, incentives
Cons
Long hours depending on role
An exciting store constantly evolving
SALES ASSOCCIATE (Former Employee) –  Birmingham11 January 2018
Receiving delivery checking delivery, replenishing floor stock. customer interaction, selling the product, promoting the products, sampling products with customers, promoting the brand store account card, as well as brand vouchers. Overall promoting the Brand name of Selfridges and Co, by going above the expected level of customer service
Pros
good level of discount across the company
Cons
Sometimes overlooked for promotion
Selfridges
Stylist at Karen Millen (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 January 2018
i worked in Selfridges just under 3 years. My time was fun and amazing as i got to meet many people in my time. It was tricky having a life outside work as i didn't have set days off which meant i would do long days and hours
Pros
discount
Cons
progression
average
Part time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 January 2018
it was an experience working in one of the biggest and fast pace shopping department. its either for you or not and in my case it wasn't. i have learnt a lot which have helped me down the line in working in my current role.
Pros
very multicultural
Cons
its a bit too miliant in terms of how they want you to work there
Selfridges Summed Up
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 January 2018
It honestly depends on what department you work in within Selfridges, but if you are a concession employee you get absolutely no benefits. Only own bought employees are given discount. A lot is expected from you for little in return. However, you meet the BEST friends and other staff there. Everyone is friendly and helpful, some have been there for over 15 years. Welcoming environment but don't expect an easy ride.
Pros
Friends for life, supportive and promotional opportunities
Cons
long hours, expensive parking, no social life
Lovely atmosephere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London2 January 2018
It was my first job in London.
I worked there for six years in the food hall fruit and vegetables department. Every year there was an event based on country and culture. I enjoyed the Indian one, we had some Bollywood celebrities,who visited during the period.
For me the hardest part to learn was taking orders on fruit basket as I had fits of nervous breakdowns sometimes but I could manage it in short time later.
That work place was one I always going to miss.
Pros
Learning by doing, active communications in German language
Cons
Pressure
nice colleague, bad management
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London21 December 2017
working as concession sales assistant, nice experience in general, but too much floatation on staff members, some temporary members from agency really don't know what there were doing.
when it's really busy, and you need a manager to override prices, they never show up after you've called them.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
unfair member discount
Just a name
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London11 December 2017
Behind this doors is the amazing history of mass consumption and the big difference between rich and poor.
Very mentally exhausting, around Christmas time is very busy. I don't mind hard work but it's disturbing how much they are promoting buying buying and buying

NOTICE probably you will wait a lot for your first salary
-Getting paid monthly
They count a working month the start and the end of 13th each month ( +/- a few days not sure) but you are getting paid on 30th
So I end up not getting paid for almost 2 months.

- It is pretty miserable salary but it depends which shop you are working for. I was working for ALL SAINTS and it was really sad the amount shop was making and my salary

NOT PAID LUNCH TIME
If you work less than 8 hours ( It happend I was working 6h every night) don't get even 10 min break

Good thing is that you add the name of selfridges to your CV, even that is just a shiny facade
Pros
In harrolds is worse
Cons
Long wait to get paid
productive workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester1 December 2017
Very productive workplace compared with other retail companies.
employment training will be given along with staff support, which makes everyone feel important of themselves.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London1 December 2017
Here I was were I really learnt about customer service, the standard that is required. I would serve and engage with customers as much as possible, generally the people were very friendly and it was very cohesive. I enjoyed working in the environment, however at the time the travel cost was very high.
Pros
I learnt a lot about customer service
Cons
Travel cost/pay
Fun and very young fashion trend .
Style Director (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street22 November 2017
Selfridges is a another high end department store with lot of Young more fresh ideas , it more the sportive type of department store and not too much luxury as Harrods.
Pros
Fresh, motivate fashion, young and ambitious type of clientele
Cons
Cant think of any.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London16 November 2017
I was a Christmas temp. I manly worked evening shifts. the day stayed consistent. There was peak times where the shop floor would become very busy, especially in the Christmas department, which I loved. It made me feel very useful that I was helping these customers, especially during the festive period. I would love to do it again.
Pros
1 hrs lunch break

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Selfridges. Our community is ready to answer.

Selfridges Reviews by Location