Selco Builders Warehouse Employee Reviews

shop floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Sutton, Greater London15 January 2018
Was a good place to work in very helpful team/ environment to work in always kept busy as there is quite a lot to do on a day to day basis such as serving/ helping customers and making sure the shoo floor is clean and clear of hazards
Poor work place
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth15 January 2018
Management dont listen to a word you have to say. Moral issues a constant problem within branch. Staff never treated fairly. Staff spoken down to by management. Care more about stock then staff.
Pros
Other employees
Cons
Managment
you'll get out what you put in
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  North London, Greater London14 January 2018
A good place to work and progress in as long as you put the work in to achieve your best good work is always praised and yes like any job under performing staff are pushed to improve overall a good place to work with a good progression plan in place for junior staff who are willing to put the effort in rates of pay are average but a very clear route on how increase pay rates
Pros
a good company to work for for progression
Cons
generally short staffed
pro active
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Catford, Greater London4 January 2018
good company to work for salary could've been better but overall a good comany to work for. should train employees sooner on forklifts so everybody can do more than one thing
Absolutely shocking
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands22 December 2017
Got sacked for having 4 days of within 3 months of work proved that I was ill but no.
Do not work for selco terrible place to work. Unfair dismissal..
Pros
Cons
You can’t be sick
Don't work for them. Management is not good
Sales Assistant/driver (Former Employee) –  Beckton, Greater London6 December 2017
I used to work for a store for about a year. It wasn't the best. I worked really hard yet no progression. The managers were in your face about personal dilemmas. Always stopping you don't let you get on with any tasks.

They expect so much from you. They don't pay you right, managers are not what you expect and no professionalism.
Pros
Overtime when needed not asked
Cons
Bad management. Long hours. Bad pay. Bad place to work
unorganised and amatuer
picker packer / sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire4 December 2017
there is one manager who actually knows what hes doing and that's steve triggs the rest could not give a monkeys or not have a clue honestly it was like the upper management didn't want the work programme employees there even though we done there jobs better
don’t apply!!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Croydon, Greater London13 November 2017
don’t recommend applying. no career progression. long hours. bad pay. don’t get rewarded for efforts and hard work. under staffed. not a motivating place to work!!
Pros
nothing
Cons
managers
Enjoyable place to work but long term staff can be very "clicky"
HEAVYSIDE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Cardiff28 August 2017
On the go from the time the doors were open, from picking customer orders to loading vehicles.
Stock ordering and regular stock checks .
Hardest part of the jod was the constant manual lifting although for the larger quantities forklifts are used.
Recycling warped timber which was cut down to usable lengths for discounted sale.
Warehouse housekeeping and Health and safety were, as it should be, high on the agenda.
Pros
Good working environment and facilities
Cons
A lot of heavy Manual lifting at times
A place to improve and learn
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barking, Greater London30 July 2017
At this work place I have learnt a lot of things, such as new skills, it helped me to come out my shell even more and has helped me develop myself as a person. Also it was very convenient for me that they agreed and allowed me to work during weekend as I was a full time student during the week.
Pros
Very nice and friendly staff members, also the customers
Cons
Only working weekends as it it hard to get to do oveertime
good place to work
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands25 July 2017
good fun place to work only thing is management constantly breathing down your neck no sense of trust amongst managers, assistant managers and general staff.
Decent place to work
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cricklewood17 July 2017
It's a decent place to work, Quite a fun and easy job with decent pay... Sometimes it can get very busy so you are always doing
Something and engaging with people
Pros
Salary, Work social life balance
Cons
Poor management and communication
mixed feelings
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London10 July 2017
First few days were productive rest of the days we was all over the place with No management it was too fare but i liked the Employees but management was bad
bad management and unffair shift pattern
Sales Assistant/Fork Lift Driver (Former Employee) –  Isleworth3 July 2017
managers and supervisors get away with doing whatever they like all day while moaning you're not working hard enough, while certain staff members can also get away with minimum amount of work. trade counter staff are allowed to stand and watch tv but we not allowed to stop for a couple minute chat.
Pros
gain fork lift experiance
Cons
shift work and bad management
AVOID couldn't run a bath
HGV Driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 June 2017
Stores are run on MINIMUM levels of staff so if 1 person is off then it has a domino effect on everybody.
lorries don't get loaded in mornings 'til about 8-9 am (start at 06.00) then when you get back off first run next run is "not picked" so you have to help pick (whilst being told by management to put the lorry on break) the get back from 2nd run and same again. This happens daily week in week out even in winter!
The runs are all over the place I once turned up at a job and 2 of the other lorrys from my depot were delivering to the same road at the same time and it was only 1.5 miles from a nearer depot about half hour driver from my depot.
And of course its all the drivers fault when you end up doing overtime everyday
Pros
dont work there anymore
Cons
everything
Steer clear
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Catford, Greater London29 May 2017
Probably the worst company I've worked for,they have no interest in the staff well being and the store is run by the customers.No management back up and the mangers are only out for themselves. It's made quite clear if you face don't fit and you under constant scrutiny.
It's long hours and a terrible rate of pay for what they expect you to do.
I'd like to say something positive but quite frankly there isn't any.
Pros
Xmas party
Cons
Poor management, low pay, no backing, no bonus, no atmosphere
Unfair on working parents.
Trade Sales (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 May 2017
I used to work for selco and I loved it, I loved what my role involved, but as I relocated there was no position available so I had to leave.
Recently I just had an interview, and because I now have a child and need flexible working, they are not interested.
In this day and age, big companies like this need to be flexible on working parents.
Shocking, and very disappointed!
Cons
Not flexible at all
Life draining
Trade Sales (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 April 2017
Over worked and under paid
The hours are unsocialble
The pay banding is a complete joke
The only job in there that you can live comfortably on is store manager
Poor management
The procedures mean nothing until it suits them
Pros
You get a lunch break
Unbelievable.
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford26 April 2017
The staff are in little cliques, it was like working with 5 year olds. All of the management have their favourites, who are treated well and the rest are treated like dirt. They don't take anything into consideration, and if you are not liked you are out.

Disciplinaries are pointless as they give the people they like nothing even if they have stuffed up big time, and one minor mistake from someone that's quiet and they are sacked. It's ridiculous and I would not recommend to anyone, it is a waste of time.

Finally salary is around 16,000 a year, Travis is 19,000 as is wicked, even screwfix you can earn more money! If you want to work for a company who don't give a stuff about their staff then go right ahead, but seriously you will regret it.
Pros
None.
Cons
Bad management.
Rubbish company
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading23 April 2017
Rubbish shift pattern, not great pay and you have to be buddy buddy with the management to go up through the management rolls, not bad for a in between job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Selco Builders Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9