Selco Builders Warehouse Employee Reviews

Customer first...
Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 November 2018
Its 40h a week of serving customers and making sure store is in good condition to serve them, health and safety in store is very important for us too.
Not a clue about transport or planning routes
Ex driver (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire22 October 2018
Not a nice place to work. Some clueless horrible people here. Avoid..waste time loading in the morning when it can be done previous afternoon . playing catch up all the time. Not enough room to load vehicle.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Hgv hiab driver
HGV Class 2 Driver& HIAB (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire19 October 2018
Don’t do it they haven’t got a clue mangment more interested in climbing the ladder stabbing who ever in the back on the way. Customer complain about the quality being rubish and prices too high and always on at you for being late H&S is Over the top I found I was walking on egg shell you had to watch your back all. The pickers and loaders haven’t got a clue full of youngsters who don’t have any experience. Transport manager who can’t even drive a car. All in all don’t work there unless you are desperate I was there for 5 months and was supposed to take in turns on the truck and the van I spent most my time in the van and they sent me out with things that were two man lifts when arrived at some customer didn't like this they were not happy about helping some customer refused to help and I had to struggle on my own or go back for help with the delivery. I waited 4 months to be paid some overtime and that is only paid a normal hourly rate so I stop doing overtime I repeat unless you are desperate for work look elsewhere
Pros
Shell points on fuel
Cons
Bad management
Staff are brilliant, management are very poor
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 October 2018
As an order picker I was treated like dirt, you are over worked, under paid and are constantly underminded in everything you do. Management do nothing to help you and they are understaffed, never worked in a place with such a high staff turn over, the job physically left me with syiatica as I was pushed past my limits with no support I very rarely got breaks and they don’t care about you.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Everything else
awfull
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading12 October 2018
nothing nice to say they treat you like robots i dont have anything nice to say about my time there zero chance of progression expect far to much allways understaffed with a high turnover of staff
Bullying
Hgv hiab operater (Former Employee) –  Charlton, Greater London14 September 2018
Worked for 3 years and got threatened by management and basically told I had to do as they say because my hgv licence was payed for. Had a family emergency so came bk to depot with a couple failed deliverys and told before I go hospital to my family that delivery needed to be done. I said do 1. All they care about is profit. When we do all the work and the managers get 5k bonuses at end of year and we get a 10 pound sainsburys voucher. I waited 4 houres to be loaded then told to put my taco on break so I could get deliverys out.
Pros
Diffrerent everyday
Cons
Management bullies
Where do you start???
Trade Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hanworth11 September 2018
Everyday you just hear the word BUDDY it just gets so annoying!

The people that the managers like will never get told off even if they do something which they should have got sacked for but “you know everyone makes mistakes.” But the minute you make a small one its “can you come into the office when you get a minute.” And “I think you shoild start looking for another job buddy”

The managers don’t go home because they have nothing better to do outside selco. They are extremely arrogant and use their authority and position to bully and dismiss staff

They are all jealous of your succession and skills
The high you progress in this company the less you have to do.
Some managers would barely qualify to work on the shop floor but some one hired them to be a manager
Pros
Cons
Everything to do with the management
Badly managed and designed.
HGV Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex9 September 2018
I worked as a driver for a couple of months in Basildon and that was enough, all these reviews are fair in their assessment of Selco. The biggest problem is the size of the yard, a lot of time is wasted waiting to get in to be loaded, and then nothing is picked. 4 or 5 runs a day constantly late home, needs a complete overhaul. Selco was predominantly a one vehicle delivery service but they increased the vehicles not the yard? Avoid them if you can.
Pros
Nice uniform
Cons
Long hours, late finish, stressful, strange management.
Help us God
HGV Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex6 September 2018
Chelmsford branch opened few months ago the management comes with knowledge to pass it on colleges with no experience. Instead of that they blinding problems stuffing mouths with cake. Transport run as good as whole shop no control whatsoever. Been lorry driver there and could not stand the level of incompetence. Lorie's not loaded runs arranged so if you follow you run yourself to the ground. Goods not picked complete chaos. Chapps on the floor good workers but badly managed. Overall got to the point I was there on my own because other driver went sick and even I could not bear with all the changes agency drivers cancellations. Just walk out to never come back. Avoid at all costs.
Cons
Family like team, friendly and approachable management
Goods Inwards Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crayford6 September 2018
Never felt like I don't want to go to work, I enjoyed most time in this branch, mostly due to friendly team and approachable management. Learned skills which I needed for my future career.
Pros
Provided accredited FLT certificates in first months of work.
Cons
Low salary.
dull
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Charlton, Greater London6 September 2018
no opportunity to progress unless your a teachers pet
you could start work 10 min erlie for months and be 1 min late one day and get a disciplinary.
not a nice environment to work in
messy job
i was trained on everything they spoke about increasing my wage they never did
was incidents where someone related to a manager kept crashing a forklift nothing happens i accidentally run of a small item left on the floor and i got a disciplinary the store is unjust unfair they make up rules as they go along to suit them selves and there mates
Pros
Cons
everything
Management awful there
Trade Counter Sales (Former Employee) –  Sidcup, Greater London20 August 2018
seriously would not recommend you working for this store... manager is shocking, promises the world, delivery is just negative negative negative.... don't expect eye contact when he speaks to you... no people skills at all......always a bad sign...
the staff are great but so overworked and stressed out by the management there. management don't help out just bark out orders and undermine the staff. they create alot of friction between staff members..
Pros
ermmmmm
Cons
doing to many jobs at once.. customer satisfaction low
Like a family, fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 August 2018
When i worked there it was a great atmosphere, a bit slow but when working it was easy to get lost and focus on making customers happy. Managers were great.
work
Yard Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 August 2018
Very demanding work, staff and customers have no patience and some staff are happy to help, alot of heaving loading lifts and pointless if you cant drive a forklift
Pros
staff discount in store, great lunch and tea break
Cons
long hours, heavy loading by hand, demanding
Worse branch is perry barr! Dont apply
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Perry Barr, West Midlands6 August 2018
Very Poor Mangement in this branch, only 2/6 managers actually know what they were doing. The others do minimal work, don't support their team what so ever. Youd be lucky if you get training when you start LOL I didnt get training till 3 months into working, was the only cashier on till and they're complaining I lack in knowledge of products. A bunch of jokes!!

No One supports eachother here, a group of lazy slackers who like to pass on work to each other and never what to do their jobs themselves, New comers always get all the labour because of their contract isn't permanent for 6 months. LOOL customers were telling me to leave, I could find a better job not worth it.
Cons
Long Hours
Horrible from top to bottom
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire1 August 2018
Worked for selco in slough and it was my biggest mistake ever lol horrible polish is the official language so if you cant speak it oh well ...more managers and supervisors smoking outside than staff inside working!!! Managed to last 3 months and when i decided to leave and gave 2 weeks notice the manager called me in the office and said u are not loyal like we in a gang lol i said pay me what the new company is paying and i will stay ? No cant do that and went further to send a bad yes bad reference to my new job thanks mate
Pros
You do encounter nice people that like you want out bad lol
Cons
No staff, everyone is a supervisor everyone tells you what to do its a joke
great place to work
Shopfloor Assistant/FLT Operator (Former Employee) –  Chessington25 July 2018
Great place to work...management and colleagues are really fun to work with...can have its ups and downs if people side step jobs and dont them properly.
Pros
cafe onsite free tea
Cons
not many
Awful
CSA (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex2 July 2018
Very awful job. Managers don’t know how to be managers, very childish. You are required to do more than it sais on the job details. I don’t recommend.
Pros
Good money
Good for progression
Shopfloor Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingsbury5 June 2018
Initially bad pay when you start out at entry level, very fast paced but never boring workplace. Heavy expectations of staff.

a lot of man management.
Pros
1 hour lunches
Cons
shattered after work
Horrible place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire27 April 2018
Treated unfair
Not nice customer service from management
Customers are not allowed to stand around as management moan looks untidy
Management don't know what a hard job is as they don't do anything apart from hide down isle or sit in office looking busy but not or outside having cigarettes
No respect for there employees
Only good place about selco is meeting some people that you can call friends otherwise worse place to work
Management do not know how to look after there good staff they get rid of the good staff in there probation period and keep the useless staff management team are making selco have a bad name
Pros
Meeting good people
Cons
To many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Selco Builders Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6