Seasalt Cornwall

Seasalt Cornwall Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews
It is a relaxed and friendly place to work with a polite clientele and team whom all fully embrace the Seasalt brand. Clean and bright store with lovely and original designs and clothing.
A great environment to work in, the team is like my other family. My position has provided me with a great work/life balance. I love the opportunity to meet new people and I adore some of our regular customers.
Pros
Free Uniform
Cons
I really enjoyed working for Seasalt and have made some life long friends from my time with the company. There's always something interesting to do and managers support and try to help you to the best that they can. Everyone I met and worked alongside was helpful and a joy to work with, no matter the position they held within the company.
Pros
Focused on developing people.
Cons
Pay is lower than most other competitors.
Seasalt is a lovely company itself. Unfortunately there's not enough hours to work to afford to live on let alone the pay is low especially for a Supervisor role. The team were lovely and very friendly. I had a great laugh with them all as well as getting to know the company. My only negative response is unfortunately down to training. Within the role I felt the training wasn't strong enough for example I had three former managements (Store Manger, Assistant Manager and another Supervisor) training me all in their own ways which I felt wasn't helpful and got very confusing and wrong most of the times. I do feel that they should come up with a buddy up system and be trained on by one management which should be the manager herself then that way they'll see what your progressing or need further training on and also have the ability to progress within your role. Like I mentioned it is a lovely friendly company to work for but it is down to training unfortunately which is what made me really struggle within my progression. It is a shame because I do like this company and the team.
Pros
Good uniform choice
Cons
not enough hours and low pay
There is a great team at head office. They are very in tune with what's going on. The clothes are stunning and you get free clothes every month. My wardrobe has had a much needed boost. I worked with many managers at Seasalt. On the whole they are good eggs. Customers always comment on how much lovely stuff there is. It's getting more corporate and structured at the moment which means flexibility is key. They have been flexible around childcare. They don't pay a fortune but it's essentially a job in retail. I love it.
Good values, fantastic management- take a real interest in furthering your career (even if just a student, they help you in whatever way they can). Interest in your mental health, decent holidays etc...
Lovely place to work that really care about your well being. Good training and the team are close as well as welcoming. Would defiantly recommend if you're interested in retail.
Great for parttime work (i.e as a job alongside studies or a summer job) but perhaps a bit 'too much' as a full-time job; given the location/constant busyness of the shop, the feeling of being overworked is not uncommon.

Generous uniform allowance and discount, plus some lovely customers!
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Seasalt. The management was phenomenal and always very accommodating in regards to my study time, it felt like one big family.
Had a job at seasalt while I was at uni. I was on a 12 hour contract because I was a full time student, but was constantly expected to do more hours. My manager would expect me to be standing at the store front organising clothes, while still being able to smile and greet every single customer even if I had my back to them. Also, for some reason anyone working at my store was forbidden from standing behind the till - this makes no sense! If I am a customer in a shop and noone is behind the till I am highly disincentivized to buy anything! I was expected to put far more time and energy into the job than I signed up for.
Pros
Cons
everything
Official response from Seasalt Cornwall
14 May 2019
Thank you for leaving a review after your recent employment with us in the Oxford store whilst you were a student. I’m sorry to learn your experience with us wasn’t to your expectation. It’s important for us to maintain an exceptional level of service to our customers, so being readily available to help those shopping or browsing in store rather than occupying a till which isn’t in use is invaluable and we have had some lovely feedback from customers about this service. Shop floors are a busy environment and the need to multi task and prioritise is essential. I’m sorry you feel this role took more time and energy than you expected, we always try and make our job descriptions and interview processes as informative and accurate as possible. Your feedback has been passed on to the appropriate team as we are continually trying to improve all aspects of our service, including to our staff members. Thank you again for your review and I wish you well for your future employment.

Tim Gabriel

Deputy Manager Customer Services
Working for Seasalt for 15 months, I can honestly say changed my life. I was helped and developed to improve areas such as people management, delegation, and administration tasks, as well as customer service.

The team I worked with really felt like family, and working in an environment where I enjoyed going to work each day made such a massive difference.

I was given early responsibility which helped my own self-confidence and development. I was trusted and relied upon which enabled me to have even more pride in my work.

No two days were the same, one day I could be helping organise the warehouse, the next I could be running the shop floor and maintaining customer service standards, and the next I could be completing paperwork and filing task to ensure the smooth running of the store.
I started off as a sales advisor and within a year was pushed to a supervisor. Then the management within store started changing round and things started falling.
I wasn’t trained into my new role properly, I didn’t feel I was rewarded for the extra 20/24 hours I was working evey week to help out & then when they no longer needed me my hours were cut back to basic after everything I helped with.

Liked the team I worked with and to start it was like a family! When things start going wrong however it seems things are just brushed under the carpet and they try to move on from the problems as quickly as possible, even without solving the issue properly.

I loved my job in the first couple of years but towards the end the respect and the encouragement to work up for previous staff members was lost.

I think if you’re looking for a sales advisor job this is perfect, but if you want progression and advancement in manegment, maybe re think.
Pros
Free Uniform, friendly customers.
Cons
Pay for the roles you do, no progression within store anymore.
After 2 years with the company, the management team had a huge shift around and didn't seem to want to progress existing, already trained staff but employ new, unqualified agency.
Great company if your not looking to go anywhere!
Pros
generous management salary
Cons
company dont seem to care about staff progression!
I began with the company having not done retail for 10 years and only volunteering,I wasn't used to the tills and what was on them,I was promised training but never got it...!
I was given tasks just before going home and was expected to finish them..!(with no help)

There were staff who where taking liberties with the uniform stock taking home more clothes than entitled to but never were disciplined for it..!

There was favouritism within the staff group and therefore were allowed to do whatever they wanted....!

I left and wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.....!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Free clothes
Cons
Plenty.
Official response from Seasalt Cornwall
13 December 2018
Thank you for your review.
At Seasalt our employee welfare, training and support is paramount and we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t feel that this support was available to you.

We do have a robust forum for employees to report any concerns and we hope that you would have taken the opportunity to do so whist you were employed with us.
I had a great experience with Seasalt as a Customer Service Advisor.
I worked with a lovely team and found colleagues from all stores and higher management to always be friendly, helpful and supportive.

It was tricky at times to negotiate my hours and maintain a consistent working week.

The customers of seasalt were often friendly and made my day.

My training was excellent and I learnt many skills in my first retail job.

I found the pressure to make sales sometimes exceeded my comfort level.

I enjoyed the visual merchandising duties that were later handed to me, however would have liked more reward for my potential in creative advancement for the company. As a budding print designer and textile student, having worked part-time for seasalt throughout my degree, I was disappointed to be turned down for an internship with the design team in cornwall.

Overall, however, my experience was hugely positive and rewarding. Seasalt are a wonderful company to work for.
Pros
Friendly, supportive, great training, lovely customers, free uniforms, Christmas parties, recognition for hard work
Cons
Unreliable hours, difiicult to progress at times, high-pressure sales, minimum wage (as sales assistant)
I was always able to pick up extra shifts when I needed the money. The atmosphere was very pleasant and everyone got on like a part of a big family.
Great company with ethics and design. Going to work is a joy because of the people and customers.

They are developing and growing so quickly that they can sometime lose sight of there product and how it relates to the customer. Also the some processes have not been updated quick enough to deal with the growing company
Pros
Great staff discount
Cons
competitive wage
Seasalt is a growing award winning design led fashion retailer based in the south west of England.
Seasalt creates beautiful clothing by the sea for everyone to wear everywhere!