Screwfix Employee Reviews

Great pay and work hours, but management look down on you.
Despatch Operative (Current Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire1 February 2018
It's a good place to work for the money, but the management there don't appreciate the effort you put in they only see the mistakes you accidentally make. The staff that you work with are all good people and will help when they can but only have negative things to say about the people in charge.
Fairly safe environment
warehouse work (Former Employee) –  Luton26 January 2018
Safety and well being was maintained, i was fairly happy there and i felt the work was just, but was tiring. The employees were nice and cooperative..
Productive from top to bortom
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside24 January 2018
First company I’ve worked for where genuinely every member of staff, regardless of position, helps each other. Career progression routes are clear, and hard work is definitely rewarded.
Pros
Discount at Screwfix & B&Q, flexible working, role variety
Ok to work for
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire19 January 2018
NOT the worst place I've ever worked but very very busy and the staff don't really know what's going on. Management not really helpful as training and skill building are never followed up. Left to teach your self what to do.
Was a very good place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire16 January 2018
Only reason i left was because of bank mix up or i would still be there very good place to work for.Management were all very approachable workload was good and managable
Pros
Good canteen
Cons
Silly shifts
Worst job I have ever had
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London chingford14 January 2018
I work at a branch in London so we open at 6am and close at 10pm.
This would be ok if the managers were fair but my current manager has made friends with a group of students who work there and they get all the best shifts. If any of them want to swap shifts then its absolutely fine but if anyone else if they ask to swap shifts, its "No we dont allow shift swaps". They also get all the best jobs while others like me get to bring in and put out delivery etc. Yoo choiceu are basically told when you can take your holidays too. No choice in the matter.
I would say that if you have a good management team you might be OK working for Screwfix but maybe Im just unlucky. There is the manager who is trying to manage people out that he dont like and the assistant manager just sits at a desk doing absoulutely nothing unless its a bit of paperwork that is absolutely necessary. Some staff are allowed to not turn up or continuously be late and thats fine they can get away with it.
So basically if you have a decent manager and can put up with early starts and late finishes you might be fine but personally its the worst job I have ever had and I am frantically looking for other work.
Pros
20% staff discount
Cons
Early starts, late closes, awful management
You're only as good as you were yesterday.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire10 January 2018
This company started off as a great place to work for and would reward people for their hard work. Progression was rewarded to those who deserved it.

However now a few years down the line the whole company culture has changed for the worst and now higher levels of management just seem to change their opinion every 10 minutes and there is no clear indication of where the company is going. What once used to be a great place to work is slowly changing to the opposite.

Also the company doesn't believe in second changes, I have seen fellow colleagues loose their job over one simple mistake. everybody is human and it is a shame to see people work so hard to get to their desired position just for it all to be taken away from them because they forgot to tick a box in a certain hour slot. A little common sense needs to be applied to everyday scenarios in this company.
Pros
Work life balane
Cons
Lack of job security
All smoke a mirrors.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster9 January 2018
It's not the "career" they make it out to be in the interview process.

all managers I seemed to work for only seemed to take any notice of yes men and people who'd tell them everything is okay when clearly it wasn't.
Pros
20% Staff discount
Cons
High turn around in staff.
prodtuctive and fun place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire6 January 2018
if you keep your head down you generally get left to get on with your work. Lots on health and safety makes you feel comfortable at work chance for career progression and overtime always avaliable.
Great team, bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Consett3 January 2018
I worked at Screwfix for almost two years and still would have been there if not for my Store Manager, he was nothing but a bully and is on a big power trip.

The team at Consett are great and the benefits at the company also, with them having a Pension Scheme, Share Save and 5 weeks worth of Holidays with a lot of over time.
Pros
Overtime and Team
Cons
Bullying and Nasty Manager
Picker and Packer (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent3 January 2018
Was a good place to work the people and workers was all friendly very good health a safety regulations

Strictly strict about uniform to be clean and worn properly
Pros
Free lunch when you first start
Cons
Long and short hours
Very good place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London2 January 2018
Putting away delivery. Helping customers. Handling cash. Ordering items in for customers.Cleaming tidying warehouse. Replenishing shop floor. Great laugh while working
Worst place to work
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shepshed, Leicestershire2 January 2018
Out of all the jobs I have had this is the worst job to work for, mainly due to the management. Poor management. Training isn’t done in the correct manner and profession. Staff just stand about chatting whilst your busy putting delivery away alone. Intimidated and loss of respect. Not challenging enough, very quiet with not many customers coming in.
Pros
Discount
Cons
8pm finishes, management, quiet, not challenging enough
Steady & Social Workplace
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Loughborough1 January 2018
The company itself is excellent, the particular workplace is alright if you're in it for the long haul.

It taught me a good understanding of whats required for most DIY tasks. The difficult part of the job comes with the usual retail politics both from customers and staff.

Every other part i've ran into is pretty decent.
Pros
Company discount
Cons
like most retail environments; stressful
Relaxed atmosphere most of the time
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shepton Mallet, Somerset30 December 2017
Flexible hours to suit. Above minimum wage. It is in a good catchment area to travel to and from the surrounding towns and villages. 20% discount in all screwfix stores and 10% in B&Q
Poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Accrington, Lancashire29 December 2017
Working here is easy, but they're very picky with who they employ. Internal disputes are handled poorly and the managers set themselves far away from the employee.
When I worked here, I became the victim of discrimination when some of the staff decided they don't like working with me instead of carrying on or trying to work with me I was instead slammed with allegations of harassment and abuse. The managers were not interested in sorting this out they instead elected to dismiss me as fast as humanly possible.
The pay and benefits are ok, only marginally better than average but the job feels insecure and they insist that you keep to the same work arrangements as originally agreed on upon their job offer.
The proverbial dangling carrot is popular amongst the staff when discussing internal prospects.
Pros
Great customers, employee benefits and discount
Cons
Lazy management and lack of communication between management and employees
Every Store is Different
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London28 December 2017
Well all reviews are honest I hope so as another honest person here is mine. I have worked for many several stores for over 10 years and everyone is different. Whether a Sales assistant, supervisor, Manager, Branch manager or part of the trade team, every role is challenging. Its how the team is that either makes it a great store to work or the worst ever. Yep it's true some managers are lazy. It's about finding the right management team and store to make it the best place to work. I've been through alot with Screwfix with personal issues, some have helped and others have not (No longer they work for us). But overall it's a interesting place to work, everyday is different. Customers are great, the odd few who are not, but the next customer will make your day if your into providing excellent customer service. Colleagues: well some are workers and some are lazy, the lazy ones you need to stop talking to them and the workers are your best friends. We work with each other more than we see our own family so those who do poo all can spin, so the reviews about back stabbing is very true but only because they allow it. We should as good employees wash out the junk who make us work hard. If only the management could see this. I have seen some honest people sacked in management and those who cheat still working there. If I spent an hour with the CEO, Sky News would have breaking News that Screwfix have sacked 100 plus employees for gross misconduct. Apart from that, Its a great place to work when you find the right store and MAKE the right team. 11 years on, I'm still here.
Pros
Customers make your day
Cons
Need to be flexible more on Rota
Avoid
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey27 December 2017
Got to be careful of certain people around you it's best to concentrate on your own responsibilities and not get involved with anyone gossip.

Some management are snobs and will shout out your failures and whisper your success. They are very quick to put you down but very slow to help out.

Customers are a pain in the backside and treat you like your a nobody expecting you to give them a solution to all their life problems including ones who's wife's cheated on them with their plumbers.

Only minimal recognition and they make you work constantly with no pauses.

Managers will not give a monkey if your hours conflict with anything outside of work.
Pros
20% off discount
Cons
Too much workload, work hours may not balance with life style also underpaid
Mixed review
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire. Bedford20 December 2017
1st branch I worked at was great. The team was like a family - we all got on well and worked together. I sometimes miss working at the Oxford branch.
2nd branch I worked at at was almost the total opposite.. I was glad to leave.
Cons
Can end up working from before branch opens beyond close
Quick moving and innovative
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  London / Gatwick Airport, West Sussex17 December 2017
A very service focused business that reacts quickly to market changes and in fact has helped redefine its own market. Demands on Store managers are very Audit and Process heavy and the structure of the business is rigid to its framework.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Screwfix. Our community is ready to answer.