Screwfix Employee Reviews

Flexible
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cornwall21 August 2018
Good company to work for. Flexible with shifts. Lots of benefits of working for the company. Keen to help their staff advance as they have training available for those who want it.
Fun place to work
trade sale assistant (Former Employee) –  Redhill17 August 2018
Managment was brilliant. verry accomodating company. huge variety of job roles and positions withing so plent of chance for promotions. always something to do
Early days but loving it!
Warehouse Person (Current Employee) –  Trentham, Staffordshire15 August 2018
I recently started here and feel like I have been there for ages. I have never worked for a large employer and it seemed daunting at first...for a few days, but it's like one big family. The health and safety aspect is very strict and makes everyone feel secure. The employee screening seems excellent, DBS is required, I feel like I'm working with people I can trust. If you like to work hard, are open and honest, and want to support good charitable causes, then this is ideal.
Pros
Excellent health and Safety, friendly, honest, environment
Cons
None so far
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Basildon15 August 2018
Its been a long time since i worked for the company and i was young when i started there, but it was always a fun place to work and there was always more things to learn and always something to do
needs improvements
Picker (Former Employee) –  Litchfield14 August 2018
the warehouse is great and the equipment is good but the management needs improving and didn't like when they asked for over time if you turned them down they always asked why when it wasn't mandatory. the pay is not worth it as everyone gets the same even if you are a reach, counter balance or vna driver.
Fun and enjoyable
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Yeovil12 August 2018
I loved working here, the other staff all got along well having chats in between calls and I even made some life long friends from there. My manager was amazing and the rest of them that I worked with in the evenings were all so supportive and listened to you it was amazing.
Pros
Good pay, good managers, good team
Cons
Bit boring work when it is quiet
A changing company
BRANCH MANAGER (Current Employee) –  England12 August 2018
From Sa to Bm it's a great company for progression but then you'll hit a brick wall unless you've cultivated the right relationships, by that I mean your face needs to fit, there is no training or development for Branch Managers as the current one to Area Manager is impossible to access and I know many BM's who've completed it but have no hope of promotion, the company are continuously bringing in externals
Pros
Work life balance and great customers
Cons
Upper management blind to store issues or they just dont care, losing hours instore more and more, expectec to plan for peak trade with no idea what our hours will be so impopssibke to plan
Terrible place
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wandsworth30 July 2018
Terrible place to work.
Managers don't see the problems. Don't want to deal with it.
They don't know how to manage staff.
People with different color will not be told to do there job.
Only 3 people will do deliver while others will just talk.

For overall Screwfix don't care for staff
No air conditioning in summer!!! SERIOUSLY!!! SAFETY SHOES AND JEANS IN SUMMER.
No water points just tap water for you to use.
Only few small fans for the whole store.
No overtime
Unpaid 30 min lunch break.
When it comes to payslips.Hard to figure it out if you have been payed Bank Holiday (extra)
Pros
You can hide and be on a phone for an hour no one notice.
Cons
No overtime /unpaid lunch /no air-conditioning in summer
Fast paced and sociable place to work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham25 July 2018
a typical day at work would involve signing in, loading RDT gun and immediately check for any incoming orders which may need picking for customers. after these are cleared I will check my rota and see what time I am required on the till. if im not on the till I will commence with unloading delivery items large and small. certain points I the day involve me unloading the delivery lorry and completely necessary paperwork.
Pros
comfortable envirmonet
Cons
not many breaks
Not bad but not great either
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex20 July 2018
As people have said, if your face doesn’t fit you won’t get promoted. If you do, you’ll probably get demoted. Management have bent rules and got away with it and sometimes it creates the downfall of service assistants. Work life balance isn’t great, working most weekends. If you get early shifts it’s ok but if you don’t, don’t expect a life. Overall pay is good and above minimum wage. But management take it too seriously and can be too strict for what it is. Recognition doesn’t exist coming from someone with 4 years of being in the company.
Pros
Good pay, nice customers, qualifications
Cons
Work life balance isn’t great, management take it too seriously
Family team and fun
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wokingham19 July 2018
Work at Screwfix, your team Turn to family and you have a laugh learn all the products were having a joke with the customers regulars customers right environment to working
Getting Worse
Management (Current Employee) –  Scotland17 July 2018
Great company to work for going back a couple of years. Now not so much only care about the money in tills. Progression is impossible if you have an opinion and you need to be liked to move on and you are not judged on what you can do.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours, Wage, Progression
Fun place to work
Trade Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire16 July 2018
Each store has a very different atmosphere. But all in all it is a great place to work. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the customers can be great to work with (if they're in a good mood). You can learn a lot from working here as I have in my 3 years there. The management are very friendly and understanding of any social and personal events and are willing to work around your needs, provided you return the favour. I highly recommend working here although it can be challenging at time, mainly due to stock issues or difficult customers, although you will find this in any retail based job.
Pros
Friendly environment, great learning place
Cons
Dealing with difficult customers, stock issues
Dont work here if you have a family.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighouse, West Yorkshire16 July 2018
Like most places it as it's ups and downs, but don't expect the management to understand you need a balance between work and family life, especially if they don't have kids themselves. I was frequently spoken down too and made to feel like rubbish, if I had a problem that wasn't work related and needed time off I was either not allowed it or given a warning. It was made clear that if you had commitments outside of work your chances of progressing within the company were 0%.. there was an them and us feeling between regular staff and the management, they could take there breaks whenever they wanted, including how many they had and how long they took, where's us sales assistants were told when we could take our breaks and god help us if we had a minute over the time they gave us. We wasn't allowed our phones on us but yet management were allowed too, they're excuse is it's work related but 9 times out of 10 they were on Facebook or Snapchat. They could also come and go as they please usually even tho the shifts were set. As for Rotas don't take them serious as they get changed all the time even if you don't know about it, and if it doesn't suit you then basically it's you're problem. When it came to actually working us sales assistants were made to do everything while the managers just stood about either on there phones or looking at a computer screen, they never helped with putting stock away as it was seen as beneath them. From my time at screwfix iv learnt one thing and that's the more your paid the less you have to do.
Pros
Most of the staff.
Cons
Management.
Best job for drivers
HGV Driver class 1 (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire16 July 2018
I was a driver working at Stafford and it is the best driving job I have had. I essentially picked my start time in the morning or afternoon. The earlier you start in the morning, the more of a shift premium you get. I'd start between 3 and 4am and was always back to get my son from school.
The job was Mon to Fri with optional overtime at the weekend.
Average about 3/4 drops a day to the trade counters around the country. No nights out unless you wanted them. Great pay.
You have to do everything by the book, if you don't and mess up, you're gone; so if you can dance to their tune, you'll be fine. this is a professional outfit and they act like it.
Pros
Pay, discounted canteen, store discount, Mon to Fri working
Cons
Early starts
Picker
labourer (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent8 July 2018
I was a picker in the warehouse, picking orders to go out on delivery by courier services. It was a two shift pattern days and noons, including weekends.
Pros
Good canteen
Cons
Bad management
Supportive Team Members
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Didcot, Oxfordshire6 July 2018
Screwfix is a great place to work if you have fine customer service skills, you are talking to customers and other members or staff both formally and informally every day. All staff are friendly and there is a good team working atmosphere.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Too Hot
Great Company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Yeovil5 July 2018
Screwfix are a brilliant company to work for, always room to progress or change field. Only downside to the company is a poor salary compared to competitors such as Travis Perkins.
Pros
Great career progression
Cons
Poor salary
Good for students
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 July 2018
flexibility allows me to balance my work and study commitments. Very friendly atmosphere with good pay. Role is sales and so targets need to be met but manager support is very good.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Gets very busy
One of the better places to work..
SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea23 June 2018
A bit hit and miss, depending on which store you end up working at. Overall they are a good company to work for. Different managers do things in different ways, hence the hit and miss comment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Screwfix. Our community is ready to answer.