Screwfix Employee Reviews

Early days but loving it!
Warehouse Person (Current Employee) –  Trentham, Staffordshire15 August 2018
I recently started here and feel like I have been there for ages. I have never worked for a large employer and it seemed daunting at first...for a few days, but it's like one big family. The health and safety aspect is very strict and makes everyone feel secure. The employee screening seems excellent, DBS is required, I feel like I'm working with people I can trust. If you like to work hard, are open and honest, and want to support good charitable causes, then this is ideal.
Pros
Excellent health and Safety, friendly, honest, environment
Cons
None so far
A Sham
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire14 December 2018
If your a single parent do not apply...as a one time single parent with now grown up children I have witnessed first hand the mother who has to stay at home with a sick.child only to be berated by the managment ..not only that she then breaks her arm but the supervisor feels the need to inform the staff that it is all bollony and she 'only has a fractured wrist'..I take umbridge at the word "only'.if your a single parent you need to be aware that should your child be poorly it will become public knowledge for all staff to berate you..and God forbid you speak to the area manager..you dont have a chance here unless you are a single mute,a pushover and in the 'clique'.. speak out your gone..!# not right...
Pros
decent wage
Cons
kids trying to be mamagers without life skills..all well and good ticking boxes
Stay away from Winchester
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire11 September 2018
What can I say.
We have had a new manager in June and I ended up working for a different company overnight. Without actually leaving.
How a company can have a manager like this working for them is beyond me. Rude and abrupt. Power mad and controlling. No team spirit, no people skills. So many staff members leaving or left. We even lost a cleaner who doesn’t even work for Screwfix.
I loved my job, and the old management team. Now I find myself on Indeed looking for a job. This can not be right.
Pros
Customers and colleagues
Cons
Some management
Couldbbe better.
HGV Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Stafford and lichfield6 April 2018
Just opened a new depo in Lichfield so a few teething problems. Routing and planning could be better and like always so could the salary. Expect to much for what they pay.
Pros
Cons
Unsociable working hours.
You're only as good as you were yesterday.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire10 January 2018
This company started off as a great place to work for and would reward people for their hard work. Progression was rewarded to those who deserved it.

However now a few years down the line the whole company culture has changed for the worst and now higher levels of management just seem to change their opinion every 10 minutes and there is no clear indication of where the company is going. What once used to be a great place to work is slowly changing to the opposite.

Also the company doesn't believe in second changes, I have seen fellow colleagues loose their job over one simple mistake. everybody is human and it is a shame to see people work so hard to get to their desired position just for it all to be taken away from them because they forgot to tick a box in a certain hour slot. A little common sense needs to be applied to everyday scenarios in this company.
Pros
Work life balane
Cons
Lack of job security
its a great place to work in
Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scotland13 October 2018
Although i have only been with them 1 week but if what i have seen and done in this week is to go by im in for one of the best jobs i have had, i love the culture, customers know that you are new and have a laugh with you , the training manager is good, hardest part of the job is checking the tote boxes as its hard to locate quantities of stock, any stock with more than 4 should be bagged this would make it easier. I just enjoy the fact that i actually enjoy getting up and going to work.
Pros
great work atmosphere, great colleagues
Cons
06:30 starts.
Fun place to work
Trade Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire16 July 2018
Each store has a very different atmosphere. But all in all it is a great place to work. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the customers can be great to work with (if they're in a good mood). You can learn a lot from working here as I have in my 3 years there. The management are very friendly and understanding of any social and personal events and are willing to work around your needs, provided you return the favour. I highly recommend working here although it can be challenging at time, mainly due to stock issues or difficult customers, although you will find this in any retail based job.
Pros
Friendly environment, great learning place
Cons
Dealing with difficult customers, stock issues
under awful management, problems with wages, near impossible to book holidays as communication was terrible with other staff members
Part-Time Cleaner Future Cleaning Services (Former Employee) –  Oxford6 June 2018
I had a very early shift, it was hard to get in, as you would have to wait for the manager to let you in. Then your pay would be reduced because it took them all this time to open the doors.

Once in, they would not have they right equipment, usually damaged, like the hoover was not working properly. Making your job a lot harder.

I worked here for a year, but never saw my supervisor. it was always hard to book holidays as he was never there to approved them!!

I have underpaid on most pay slips. Hence the reason why I left.

The best part of the job- HOME TIME
Pros
good pay rate
Cons
bad management, equipment to carry out your duties
Current employee
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Trentham, Staffordshire27 March 2018
Great place to work , great worklife balance

Lots of benifits and Good pay - they do things like winfix- where you get prizes, trips and chocolates, support services etc

Would recommend working here
What is The Point of Your Handbook
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater London31 August 2018
As others have said you can have a laugh with customers and at work. But even after a hard day, stand around for second and managers are all over you. No problem with hard work, but the pay is just not worth the hassle and how tired you can get on some days.

They care about targets more than people, when they should care about both.

They give you a nice shiny handbook and a welcome pack, but then months down the line you realize it's all just promises with no substance whatever.
Pros
You can have a laugh with customers who don't care about the politics in store
Cons
Discount
Never a dull day
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Par25 October 2018
Screwefix was my first ever job and i couldnt of ask for a better place to start my working carear.

A typical day at screwfix would always start with a warm welocme from all staff members and always been asked if you wanted a drink before you started your shift also you would get the same as u finish ur shift.

i leanernt so much from working from screwfix not just about how to preform at the best of my ability but also made me a better perosn.

one of the most enjoyable parts of the job was making sure that the customer left with everything they needed even if they didnt know themselves also hearing that we gave one of the best customer service around.
Good workplace - store completely depends on competency of managers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  East Sussex7 May 2018
I have enjoyed working for Screwfix and progressed through multiple stores. There is a clear difference in stores that have an effective Branch Manager/Assistant Manager and ones that do not. Staff of all levels in the latter stores are usually not held accountable for poor performance and leads to a poor attitudes in store.

Role isn't too stressful although pay is low for supervisors in particular. ASM bonus and lack of responsibility for SA's make these roles more acceptable in pay.

Work/Life balance can be poor considering the opening hours of the store.

I would recommend Screwfix provided you don't have the bad luck of getting into a store with a bad atmosphere.
Pros
Good Managers
Cons
Bad Managers
Bad place to work
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton6 June 2018
If your face doesn't fit you have zero promotion chances. Management throughout the company are very clique and they help each other out to bend the rules set. They pay slightly above minimum wage and that is the only pro to working there. I left with less confidence than when I started and had no recognition for my 8years service
Pros
Slightly above minimum wage
Cons
Everything else
Great Pay, Poor Management
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stafford15 October 2018
Very boring and repetitive but great pay for an easy job. Management are terrible, don't care about the wellbeing of the permanent workers, extremely petty and tend to pick on people over nothing. Absolute awful management to work under. Ok job for short term but you'll find yourself feeling very frustrated if you work here a while.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Awful management, very boring job
decent first job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham6 September 2018
working at screwfix is a decent first job but management don't care for the individuals much & serious situations are not always dealt with accordingly. it's good as a part time gig but not career
Productive and Inclusive Workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amersham25 August 2018
Days are very busy but, co-workers are helpful and enjoyable to work with. Sales rewards are available during certain sales periods. Managers are generally good but the management, of breaks, could be better as some days you would not receive your deserved breaks as adequate time hasn't been left between other co-workers breaks and the ending of your shift.
Pros
Good Co-Workers
Cons
Poor Management of Breaks
Do not drive for this company!!
HGV Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire16 March 2018
If you`re a HGV driver, it doesn`t matter if you`re an agency driver or looking for a full time position give this company a very wide birth,,, VERY WIDE.. Although pay rates are pretty competitive believe me you will earn it, and the metaphorical whip is being constantly cracked. As any driver knows your work/life balance is always very lopsided no matter where you work, this is unfortunately is the nature of the occupation, but working for this company takes it to a different level, unless of course you are a member of the "prioritised" drivers!!!!
Those of you that know, will know exactly what that means..

As for the Transport management, the majority of them wouldn`t know the difference between a 5th wheel and a steering wheel, and this trickles down to the Transport clerks, and to be perfectly frank you`re very lucky if the language barrier isn`t a huge problem, this of course isn`t an issue if you`re one of the "prioritised" drivers.

So, therefore if you`re a HGV driver, it doesn`t matter if you`re an agency driver or looking for a full time position give this company a very wide birth, VERY WIDE!!!.
Pros
competitive pay rates.
Cons
Your tacho will take a battering.
Love working for Screwfix
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scotland5 September 2018
Delivery 5 days a week, warehouse work, correcting errors

Since my move closer to home, nothing, went backwards after completing fast track to ASM, rather than moving forwards to the next level

Lack of progression, expected to move forward rather than backwards, no feedback from management

Getting motivated, would rather travel 55 mins to work than the 14 mins to work now

Working for Screwfix
Best job for drivers
HGV Driver class 1 (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire16 July 2018
I was a driver working at Stafford and it is the best driving job I have had. I essentially picked my start time in the morning or afternoon. The earlier you start in the morning, the more of a shift premium you get. I'd start between 3 and 4am and was always back to get my son from school.
The job was Mon to Fri with optional overtime at the weekend.
Average about 3/4 drops a day to the trade counters around the country. No nights out unless you wanted them. Great pay.
You have to do everything by the book, if you don't and mess up, you're gone; so if you can dance to their tune, you'll be fine. this is a professional outfit and they act like it.
Pros
Pay, discounted canteen, store discount, Mon to Fri working
Cons
Early starts
Very friendly, fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oswestry26 October 2018
Typical day at work would be taking customers orders on the till,taking payment, then going and collecting the items they wanted
There are always things to be learnt there as hundreds of different products there with different shapes/ measurements.
The hardest part of the job would be if it was a really busy day and not enough time to collect orders.
The most enjoyable part of the day would just be the whole shift as everyone was friendly so we all had a laugh together whilst doing our jobs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Screwfix. Our community is ready to answer.