Screwfix Employee Review

Very organised, good place to work.
Picker, llop driver (Former Employee) –  Stafford27 February 2018
All different jobs available, a lot of training given. Opportunity to grow.
Day to day easy tasks to do. Sometimes to heavy lifting. Nice and tidy place.

Other Screwfix Employee Reviews

disappointed
lost cause (Former Employee) –  birmigham23 September 2018
Disappointed.
Shame that such a well performing Business is allowed to mask a number of significant flaws in the operation!
Amateur, and at times, grossly unprofessional senior managers!
Very subjective Business – if your face fits, you’re in, if not, well you know the rest! If it doesn’t, you’ll be ignored, after they try to ‘remove’ you, on the grounds you may not be a good fit for the Business! Should you survive, then you’ll get mandatory visits only, the big cheeses will be shown to those little cheeses with a ‘future’! In the meantime, beware, some of the little cheeses will be waiting for you to make a mistake, which will likely be a] recorded and b] reported; which they are encouraged to do, as they are led to believe this provides a rite of passage to a big cheese.
Junior managers afforded responsibility and decision making, well outside the bounds of their experience; consequently, their communications serve to provide further irritation, as unsurprisingly, they fail to discharge that responsibility effectively!
If you’ve worked in retail and experienced EPOS, you’ll hate the platforms in use here – clunky, and prone to failure, regularly, you’ll lose count of the occasions you have to apologise face to face with your customers! No commercial data either, as a consequence, you’ll be counting forever to establish sales data; and have to rely on published data via 3rd parties.
Too much paperwork, duplication, too many passwords [I had 14 last count], too frequently amended, too often locked out of a screen or platform due to password expiry times set by Kingfisher.
  more...
I’d say the same for the IT facilities, and the background support, unpredictable, unreliable and often untimely.
No ownership of a ‘problem’, so if you call the central office and speak to the ‘wrong’ colleague, they won’t find or point you towards the ‘right’ colleague; as a result, you’ll have to start your enquiry again!
Expanded way too quickly – taken the same broken systems for the ride, put way too much pressure on the support personnel! The colleague base has become stretched and subsequently the knowledge pool diluted!
Regularly having to ‘lend’ someone to somewhere else, pressure driven by too few hours and an over complication of task in general, there’s barely sufficient resource to deliver daily basics!
Micro-management, beyond reason!
The Business claims to have ‘great culture’ which it seeks to constantly remind us all of.
I didn’t experience this ‘great culture’; perhaps I had immunity!
This is just a brief summary of my findings, NOT anyone else’s. Furthermore, I wouldn’t suggest it’s a bad place to work, since many seem to enjoy it. But you only need 1 person to suggest it isn’t that good to justify an enquiry, should the Board members care sufficiently, after all, should the culture be that good, everyone would enjoy it, would they not!! Or is it just ‘lip service’!
I note around 15% or so of leavers [76] prepared to pass comment on this site have rated Screwfix at 1.
Not just me then!
Perhaps if just one of the above mentioned senior managers could bring themselves to say thanks for just 1 of over a thousand working days, let alone wish me well for the future….my mistake, I got paid every month!!!!!!
Disappointed!
Good luck!
Pros
my colleagues were outstanding, every one of them
Cons
everything else
Productive,challenging but fun.
Trade Supervisor (Current Employee) –  East London, Greater London22 September 2018
Very good place to work as there is chance to develop and enhance your skills with different workshops and also the work environment is fun where you could talk with your colleagues and also get the work done. The team environment is brilliant.
Pros
Discounts and Wages. Flexible
Cons
very early/late opening and closing times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Screwfix. Our community is ready to answer.