Screwfix Pay & Benefits reviews

Great team, bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Consett3 January 2018
I worked at Screwfix for almost two years and still would have been there if not for my Store Manager, he was nothing but a bully and is on a big power trip.

The team at Consett are great and the benefits at the company also, with them having a Pension Scheme, Share Save and 5 weeks worth of Holidays with a lot of over time.
Pros
Overtime and Team
Cons
Bullying and Nasty Manager
Poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Accrington, Lancashire29 December 2017
Working here is easy, but they're very picky with who they employ. Internal disputes are handled poorly and the managers set themselves far away from the employee.
When I worked here, I became the victim of discrimination when some of the staff decided they don't like working with me instead of carrying on or trying to work with me I was instead slammed with allegations of harassment and abuse. The managers were not interested in sorting this out they instead elected to dismiss me as fast as humanly possible.
The pay and benefits are ok, only marginally better than average but the job feels insecure and they insist that you keep to the same work arrangements as originally agreed on upon their job offer.
The proverbial dangling carrot is popular amongst the staff when discussing internal prospects.
Pros
Great customers, employee benefits and discount
Cons
Lazy management and lack of communication between management and employees
easy to work for
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scotland12 December 2017
job role itself is good not to hard of a graft.
learned how to use the systems and how to use the gun to put away stock in the right locations.
management is good.
Pros
Cons
no full time hours
Poor management
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire27 November 2017
when i first started it was great however as time went by they became very controlling and stopped looking after workers. You get no praise for work you do
Pros
B&Q discount
Cons
Management, customers, everything
productive but boring
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redditch8 November 2017
one of those jobs for me that just felt tiresome and reletless, there was talk of promotion from within but when i got to that level i found out they like to move you store. i couldnt travel 30 miles and so hit a barrier within the company. otherwise fair wage fair work
Good company to work for.
Unknown (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire28 October 2017
Good company who puts their staffs first and the management are staff and customer focused. The company trys to engage their staff with developing product knowledge.
Pros
Good environment and management
Cons
low salary for advanced management roles
Great company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey23 October 2017
If you put in the work you reap the benefits, I worked my a### off and then was head hunted by the area manager to help launch a new store! Only downside is the sneaky nature of some of the other management who are out for themselves, slightly 2 faced to be honest
Pros
good pay
Cons
no overtime pay
Nightmare to progress. Very repetitive
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  UK9 October 2017
Been Screwfix for 3 years. Pay for supervisor is just above that of a staff member despite having keys to the store and being in charge in the managers absence, sometime even when they are there. Manager and assistant mangers spend ungodly amount of time in the office and leave supervisors to run the store. Hours are ok but don't do overtine becuase you'll never get extra pay or even a thank you. Upper management and area managers don't seem to care if youre happy in your job as long as they are hitting targets.
Pros
Breaks and holiday are ok
Cons
Bad pay, everything else
High sales (Former Employee) –  Consett12 September 2017
Great place to work. Meeting new people learning new things about orocuta each day. Customer rapau was crutial. Team members are easy to get along with became more thab co workers. Great benefits through out the conpany.
Pros
Great team work
Cons
Trade Counter Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire12 September 2017
Not initially great pay but great benefits including high staff discounts, free life insurance, double pay on bank holidays, great management team, really enjoy the interaction with both trade and DIY customers. Free Christmas knees-up, Halloween and Christmas fancy dress days, charity sports days etc.

I could go on but I think you get the picture.
Pros
as stated
Cons
full time vacancies are very sought after but plenty of part time vacancies.
Easy place to work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leyton, Greater London24 August 2017
The work load isn't too difficult, allows indivudals to gain skills and is a great starting point for retail. There are many benefits such as discount on products and the staff are friendly and easy to work with.
The people make the place
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire10 August 2017
A good place to work for, the staff make the place. they work around you and help you when they can. ok hours. overtime if you want it or even travel to another store
Brilliant
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Malvern, Worcestershire4 August 2017
Takes good care of employees.
Good benefits an very good competitive wage.
Many opportunities to progress within the company if that is what you wish to do.
Cons
Shift based rota
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester25 July 2017
People there are helpful and easy to talk to. The job itself is enjoyable, no day is ever the same.
If you are looking to stay at screwfix and want to progress theres lots of options to go further within the business (may take a bit of a push sometimes to get things rolling but its worth it). The pay is good and theres always overtime for those who need it. I started on a 12hr contract and do almost 30hrs a week so dont be deterred by the initial hours.
Would recommend this to those who want a job where you never stop. also great for alternative people, tattoos and piercings accepted, though coloured hair isnt.
Pros
Good pay, lots of spare hours, never boring
Cons
Dont allow coloured hair, can be exhausting, progression can take awhile.
Awful salary, horrible hours, no progression.
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Avonmouth, Bristol6 July 2017
I was a Customer Service Supervisor for almost 5 years - the salary was awful yet so much was expected of me. The management were a waste of time and would spend 90% of their day in the office, they would always take the easy shift like 8-4 or 9-5. I lost count the amount of times I did 12-8 then was back in at 6:30 the next morning which I'm quite sure is illegal. The work life balance is just non existent - constant work, work, work.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Horrible hours, rubbish pay
great place to work shame about the salary
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands4 July 2017
A typical day would include serving customers, telephone enquiries. liaising with management, picking selected items that have been purchased from the warehouse. Stock taking, filing overdue orders. You'll learn how to use an RDT, which will be used to pick items from the warehouse,make stock moves and PI checking which is effectively stock taking. Workplace culture is good because you get to meet a lot of diverse people. Sometimes it can be a very fast paced environment, so being able to multi-task is a must.
Pros
food hampers for winning incentives/Staff nights out
Cons
salary- based on part time hours
Do not even think about it
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset25 June 2017
Nearly national minimum salary with a loot of work ,
Non stop calls and you are never good enough for the management,horrible PC system ,arrogant bosses you will feel like a slave .
Good while at university
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire8 May 2017
Part time work here got me through my studies and I was allowed to transfer between stores at home and at university.

Very basic and boring jobs with little challenge that soon got boring and repetitive.

The pay is decent for retail but low compared to warehousing jobs, which is a big part of the job. 20% at Screwfix and B&Q are the only added extras the job gives.
Good Modern Company
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset25 April 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Screwfix and would still be there if it were not for the 40 mile/90 minute commute. It's still very much a new growing 21st century business that could sell anything just happens to be tools and fixings
Pros
Lively, young comnpany
Cons
Lower than average pay
fun workplace, great salary for student
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, Oxfordshire20 April 2017
Worked part-time whilst completing my A-Levels, pay was great for a student at over £7 an hour. Job was relatively simple and worth it for the money. Lazy managers though.
Pros
Good pay, easy money
Cons
Lazy management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Screwfix. Our community is ready to answer.