Screwfix Employee Reviews for Supervisor

Promoted and then left to struggle.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk15 October 2018
I was part of a team opening the newest branch. The person they had employed as my team leader walked out before the store had even opened, I was then approached and asked if I wanted to be supervisor. I applied and emphasised that I hadn’t had a supervisory role before and that I’d need training. I received very little. It was to the point where I was emotionally drained because I just wasn’t getting the help I needed. When it became known that I was THINKING about looking for a new job my then manager didn’t hesitate to pull me over to the calendar and tell me my last day should be after my next holiday, she then proceeded to arrange my exit review, all of this before I had even handed in my notice. I felt a lot like it was constructive dismissal but as I’d only been working there for a matter of months I was powerless to do anything legally. It was a real shame because I was so excited to work there!
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Management unwilling to help.
Productive,challenging but fun.
Trade Supervisor (Current Employee) –  East London, Greater London22 September 2018
Very good place to work as there is chance to develop and enhance your skills with different workshops and also the work environment is fun where you could talk with your colleagues and also get the work done. The team environment is brilliant.
Pros
Discounts and Wages. Flexible
Cons
very early/late opening and closing times.
Structured and encouraging
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dartford21 September 2018
If you don't mind long hours, with London stores opening at 6am and closing at 10pm, a career at Screwfix can work out well for you as long as you have the right manager.
There are lots of courses available to help your advance your career, and team feedback is encouraged.
Most of the people I worked with were great.
The main reason I left was because I was always tired. To arrive in time to open the shop at 6am I was having to wake up at 4am, and after a late shift I was not arriving home until almost midnight.
The job can be physically demanding as you are working with heavy tools and trade supplies (including very heavy radiators and bags of cement for example) in a warehouse environment.
PPE was supplied and I always felt safe due to the obvious attention paid to health and safety in the workplace.
They pay was pretty good compared to most other similar jobs.
Pros
Sense of job stability. Health and safety awareness makes you feel safe.
Cons
Early starts/late finishes.
Love working for Screwfix
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scotland5 September 2018
Delivery 5 days a week, warehouse work, correcting errors

Since my move closer to home, nothing, went backwards after completing fast track to ASM, rather than moving forwards to the next level

Lack of progression, expected to move forward rather than backwards, no feedback from management

Getting motivated, would rather travel 55 mins to work than the 14 mins to work now

Working for Screwfix
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Basildon15 August 2018
Its been a long time since i worked for the company and i was young when i started there, but it was always a fun place to work and there was always more things to learn and always something to do
Needs Improvements
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire23 May 2018
A lot needs to change the management is poor there is not much room for progression, unless you give up all outside life and commitments. They are not understanding with having family.
Fun place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Basford30 November 2017
It is great place to work, management are great, cant do enough for you. There used to be a supervisor that thought she was the bees knees but was a complete idiot and self centred, but luckily they realised they couldn't cope with what this job entailed so they left. It can be hard work, but with the right team its fantastic.
Great Multitasking Fun Workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire16 October 2017
A typical day at work would be serving customers and putting away delivery along with daily paperwork.

I learned a lot with screwfix as I went through the management process going on going on training days and becoming a supervisor.

The hardest part of my job was trying to balance all the daily tasks along with serving customers when short staffed and on busy days.

The most enjoyable part of my job was having a variety of things to do at work and built good work rapport with collages.
Pros
good varirty in tasks
Cons
long weeks without a day off sometimes
Nightmare to progress. Very repetitive
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  UK9 October 2017
Been Screwfix for 3 years. Pay for supervisor is just above that of a staff member despite having keys to the store and being in charge in the managers absence, sometime even when they are there. Manager and assistant mangers spend ungodly amount of time in the office and leave supervisors to run the store. Hours are ok but don't do overtine becuase you'll never get extra pay or even a thank you. Upper management and area managers don't seem to care if youre happy in your job as long as they are hitting targets.
Pros
Breaks and holiday are ok
Cons
Bad pay, everything else
Good job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 October 2017
It was good most of the time, rotas change without notice. Overall enjoying my time, staff are great, holidays if you are allowed them are okay and the management can be somewhat lazy.
Ok if you are a sheep
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge31 August 2017
Pleasant working environment with good salary, benefits and a good grounded group of colleagues. If you are comfortable working doing the same tasks over and over this is a brilliant place for you to work.

But when you need help with anything don't expect the managements help. The experience I got was that they are only looking after themselves and will step over anyone to reach that goal.
Pros
Good discount at screwfix and sister company.
Cons
Bad management and no support from anyone
Great Place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mildenhall9 August 2017
It's been a great place to work and I've enjoyed my time here but now its time to move on, ill miss it because Screwfix are great to there staff, great wages, great development plans and a great environment.
Pros
Great development
Fun
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boucher road1 July 2017
Best job ever! Love working in this place! Very enjoyable, staff are very friendly and I get along with everyone in the place. Not a day goes by where I don't like going into my work place!
great team
Trade Plus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Crewe29 June 2017
great atmosphere lovely team and great support, great opportunities to grow yourself and further your career and get a lot of help during the way. Cant fault the store
Not a great place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset1 June 2017
Was a supervisor within a screwfix store, was not a fun place to work people got away with stuff all the time , there was no point in trying to mange the staff as half of the time they didn't listen to you and would just go of doing whatever they wanted to do. Couldn't balance your life very well would sometimes end up working 8-9 days in a row would finish at 8 and then they wouldn't give you the 11 hour break between your shifts witch is against the law. People who did the rotas had no idea how to do them it's not hard but they made it so painful. Also the company just got greedy now opening 9 on Sundays they want people to live for work not work to live! Unless you were assistant or branch manger you got spoken to like you were nothing. The only good thing was the pay but it's not worth it when the job is horrible.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Bad management, hours all over the place
Good workplace, poor management
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Redhill, Surrey30 May 2017
Management has no clue or just doesn't want to notice who's willing to work and who is just looking how to skip work by pretending they are doing something else.

There is the habit of ignoring picks or passing on customers from one colleague to another, just because they are not signed in on the till and had an important conversation with another colleague anyway.

Staff members are not mature enough to take their job seriously
Pros
dynamic environment, always something to do, no time to get bored
Cons
poor management, immature staff
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tottenham, Greater London2 May 2017
Great place to work, money wise its not bad for a sales assistant but management pay is rubbish. 30p more for supervisors with a lot more responsibilities
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
Open hours
Poor workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Buckinghamshire23 April 2017
I enjoyed the company when first started, Job was fun kept you busy. Management on the other hand no clue, not helpful Constant criticism and bullying from them being sat in the office having a chat when staff are running around. Working in the evening got boring as quite, only so much cleaning you can do
Pros
Good work team, pay, benfits
Cons
Bad managemant
Overworked for bleak pay
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol area21 February 2017
I worked at screwfix for over 4 years, starting as a service assistant from school, and progressing to a Supervisor before moving elsewhere.

There is a brutal bully culture between higher management extending its way down work force. Between all the unessecerry KPIs, auditable requirements and mountain of health and safety, as a manager in this place the pressure is unbelievable considering the peanuts they have you working for.

Service assistants are given false promises about extra hours and progression they are unlikely to see in the timescale that was promised to them.

Supervisors are essentially underpaid managers, having nearly identical responsibilities, but given half the training and resources and left to get on with it.

Being my first role, I didn't know how bad I had it until I moved into a different business. The culture is shocking, the treatment is shocking, the hours are shocking and the expectations are shocking.

Avoid like the plague.
Pros
Made some lifelong friends in my time there.
Cons
Stress coming from the top of the chain working its way down.
Excellent
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Daventry, Northamptonshire8 February 2017
Loved working there. Great people. Great customers. Learnt a lot. A company that always helps and wants you to progress.