Screwfix Employee Reviews for Supervisor

Needs Improvements
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire23 May 2018
A lot needs to change the management is poor there is not much room for progression, unless you give up all outside life and commitments. They are not understanding with having family.
Fun place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Basford30 November 2017
It is great place to work, management are great, cant do enough for you. There used to be a supervisor that thought she was the bees knees but was a complete idiot and self centred, but luckily they realised they couldn't cope with what this job entailed so they left. It can be hard work, but with the right team its fantastic.
Great Multitasking Fun Workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire16 October 2017
A typical day at work would be serving customers and putting away delivery along with daily paperwork.

I learned a lot with screwfix as I went through the management process going on going on training days and becoming a supervisor.

The hardest part of my job was trying to balance all the daily tasks along with serving customers when short staffed and on busy days.

The most enjoyable part of my job was having a variety of things to do at work and built good work rapport with collages.
Pros
good varirty in tasks
Cons
long weeks without a day off sometimes
Good job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 October 2017
It was good most of the time, rotas change without notice. Overall enjoying my time, staff are great, holidays if you are allowed them are okay and the management can be somewhat lazy.
Ok if you are a sheep
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge31 August 2017
Pleasant working environment with good salary, benefits and a good grounded group of colleagues. If you are comfortable working doing the same tasks over and over this is a brilliant place for you to work.

But when you need help with anything don't expect the managements help. The experience I got was that they are only looking after themselves and will step over anyone to reach that goal.
Pros
Good discount at screwfix and sister company.
Cons
Bad management and no support from anyone
Great Place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mildenhall9 August 2017
It's been a great place to work and I've enjoyed my time here but now its time to move on, ill miss it because Screwfix are great to there staff, great wages, great development plans and a great environment.
Pros
Great development
Fun
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boucher road1 July 2017
Best job ever! Love working in this place! Very enjoyable, staff are very friendly and I get along with everyone in the place. Not a day goes by where I don't like going into my work place!
great team
Trade Plus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Crewe29 June 2017
great atmosphere lovely team and great support, great opportunities to grow yourself and further your career and get a lot of help during the way. Cant fault the store
Not a great place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset1 June 2017
Was a supervisor within a screwfix store, was not a fun place to work people got away with stuff all the time , there was no point in trying to mange the staff as half of the time they didn't listen to you and would just go of doing whatever they wanted to do. Couldn't balance your life very well would sometimes end up working 8-9 days in a row would finish at 8 and then they wouldn't give you the 11 hour break between your shifts witch is against the law. People who did the rotas had no idea how to do them it's not hard but they made it so painful. Also the company just got greedy now opening 9 on Sundays they want people to live for work not work to live! Unless you were assistant or branch manger you got spoken to like you were nothing. The only good thing was the pay but it's not worth it when the job is horrible.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Bad management, hours all over the place
Good workplace, poor management
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Redhill, Surrey30 May 2017
Management has no clue or just doesn't want to notice who's willing to work and who is just looking how to skip work by pretending they are doing something else.

There is the habit of ignoring picks or passing on customers from one colleague to another, just because they are not signed in on the till and had an important conversation with another colleague anyway.

Staff members are not mature enough to take their job seriously
Pros
dynamic environment, always something to do, no time to get bored
Cons
poor management, immature staff
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tottenham, Greater London2 May 2017
Great place to work, money wise its not bad for a sales assistant but management pay is rubbish. 30p more for supervisors with a lot more responsibilities
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
Open hours
Poor workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Buckinghamshire23 April 2017
I enjoyed the company when first started, Job was fun kept you busy. Management on the other hand no clue, not helpful Constant criticism and bullying from them being sat in the office having a chat when staff are running around. Working in the evening got boring as quite, only so much cleaning you can do
Pros
Good work team, pay, benfits
Cons
Bad managemant
Very Good Company to work for
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newtown, Powys23 March 2017
Screwfix is a great company to work for, I was a full time Service Supervisor and the hours fitted comfortably around my home life, Customer Service is at the forefront of the company's beliefs and they treat their staff with a great deal of care and respect.
Pros
Great company benefits
Cons
very individual store management teams
Overworked for bleak pay
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol area21 February 2017
I worked at screwfix for over 4 years, starting as a service assistant from school, and progressing to a Supervisor before moving elsewhere.

There is a brutal bully culture between higher management extending its way down work force. Between all the unessecerry KPIs, auditable requirements and mountain of health and safety, as a manager in this place the pressure is unbelievable considering the peanuts they have you working for.

Service assistants are given false promises about extra hours and progression they are unlikely to see in the timescale that was promised to them.

Supervisors are essentially underpaid managers, having nearly identical responsibilities, but given half the training and resources and left to get on with it.

Being my first role, I didn't know how bad I had it until I moved into a different business. The culture is shocking, the treatment is shocking, the hours are shocking and the expectations are shocking.

Avoid like the plague.
Pros
Made some lifelong friends in my time there.
Cons
Stress coming from the top of the chain working its way down.
Excellent
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Daventry, Northamptonshire8 February 2017
Loved working there. Great people. Great customers. Learnt a lot. A company that always helps and wants you to progress.
Poor management and bullying
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Queens road and hillsborough29 November 2016
I worked for screwfix for 5 years and loved the 1st 3 years until they got management in that was inappropriate to staff and bullying was often and management joined in to make matters worse. I was forced to leave the company and would strongly recommend not to work for this company. I was severely depressed towards the end of my employment. Sheffield stores queens road and hillsborough are the worst shops.
Cons
Shocking company to work for!
Trade supervisor (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire23 November 2016
This company is a disgrace! Back stabbing and bullying are a regular feature! Staff are lazy and do nothing making it harder for those who want to work, yet the company don't care! Health and safety ignored on a daily basis!! Area managers and regional managers completely out of touch with what happens on the shopfloor! Managers are scared of up and coming supervisors therefore fabricate problems to the area managers and other supervisors back stab each other to get assistant managers position! No training whatsoever. I cannot express just how bad and how awful this company is! It is truly shocking that a company in this day and age can get away with what they do!
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Bullying, back stabbing, under qualified managers, no progression, made to work many hours without pay, health & safety ignored on a daily basis
Worked like a mule
Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol4 November 2016
Worked at the Yate store and the staff would rather chat and be on their phones than helping a supervisor.

No help from a manager as you haven't been working there long and they pretty much call you a liar.

Over worked coming into work ill and even on a day off ask you to come in to cover someone who has a sore throat.

Very sad to work with and I highly advise stay away from Yate
Pros
Can go to the toilet
Cons
Over worked, rapid weight loss, no good training, no help, everyone out for themselves, no progression unless you screw someone over.
Good Hours/Poor Management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midlands23 September 2016
Screwfix has too may cowboys working within the company, too many management positions within the store. Very to the point with procedures, no movement at all on how things are done.
Do not work here
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Market Harborough22 September 2016
Got sacked for turning off a light two minutes before the store closed.

Everyone stabs you in the back so don't trust anyone!

Worst company I have ever worked for.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything